No 3rd person confirmed

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
this game is already in a niche group of people that want to play a hard core full loot pvp game which puts it in a iffy situation in terms of money along with many others that have done this. To add that it’s only first person puts it even further into the niche.

Stop it, you hurt Henrik when you tell him the truth!

But in all seriousness, you're right but you're wrong.

Extreme niche was our reality for the first Mortal Online, and it stayed alive for a decade. The nice thing about being an indie's passion project is that even if it's not super lucrative, it'll stick around. There's no publisher to tell them to pull the plug. It's super niche, yes, but it makes a lot of people in that niche very happy that it exists. Hell, many features like thievery benefit greatly from the forced first person camera.

It won't appeal to everyone, hell it probably won't appeal to a large amount of people, but that's FINE.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Stop it, you hurt Henrik when you tell him the truth!

But in all seriousness, you're right but you're wrong.

Extreme niche was our reality for the first Mortal Online, and it stayed alive for a decade. The nice thing about being an indie's passion project is that even if it's not super lucrative, it'll stick around. There's no publisher to tell them to pull the plug. It's super niche, yes, but it makes a lot of people in that niche very happy that it exists. Hell, many features like thievery benefit greatly from the forced first person camera.

It won't appeal to everyone, hell it probably won't appeal to a large amount of people, but that's FINE.
That was’t nearly violent enough director Kavu

• Love
Reactions: Kavu

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Let me start by saying that I am not trying to troll here. I'm trying to be serious and open-minded, and the sarcasm I'm reading isn't doing anything useful.

This game is *not* the most hyped. Actually is one of the least hyped. Lotta people don't even know about it when I talk to them to get them to come over and check it out.

Adding third person view does *not* change core anything. I add the caveat that any third person view must only go directly back, max 1 meter, and go up none at all (I agree you shouldn't see over bushes, inside buildings etc.). What "core value" is being destroyed by 3rd person view, exactly? Immersion? Only if you are forced to use it, and you're not. What is this core value I keep hearing about? No offense, but saying we should continue to do it this way b/c it was done that way in MO1 is a bad argument. MO1 *died*.

My experience in Mordhau and LiF is exactly the same as the OP's; people were excited until no 3rd person view. And the conversation was over. Assuming that MO2 was created to entice new customers, then the argument for this feature, is valid. Upgrading the same engine to a newer version, and updating graphics did not require making a new game, and an empty game didn't need to be made bigger, so let's remember that MO1 was abandoned for reasons some of you don't want to admit.

I know that this is an old argument, that was completely dismissed in MO1. But considering that MO1 died, and that alpha/beta is exactly when stuff like new features are supposed to be discussed, I think third person view should be reconsidered. I prefer first person myself, but I'd really like to get a guild or two to come over, and right now, not having this *choice* makes my every sales pitch for MO2 a non-starter. If you want to play first person, fine (I do), but we should consider no longer excluding the rest of the PVP/full loot market for no good reason, unless you want MO2 to suffer the same fate as MO1.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Let me start by saying that I am not trying to troll here. I'm trying to be serious and open-minded, and the sarcasm I'm reading isn't doing anything useful.

This game is *not* the most hyped. Actually is one of the least hyped. Lotta people don't even know about it when I talk to them to get them to come over and check it out.

Adding third person view does *not* change core anything. I add the caveat that any third person view must only go directly back, max 1 meter, and go up none at all (I agree you shouldn't see over bushes, inside buildings etc.). What "core value" is being destroyed by 3rd person view, exactly? Immersion? Only if you are forced to use it, and you're not. What is this core value I keep hearing about? No offense, but saying we should continue to do it this way b/c it was done that way in MO1 is a bad argument. MO1 *died*.

My experience in Mordhau and LiF is exactly the same as the OP's; people were excited until no 3rd person view. And the conversation was over. Assuming that MO2 was created to entice new customers, then the argument for this feature, is valid. Upgrading the same engine to a newer version, and updating graphics did not require making a new game, and an empty game didn't need to be made bigger, so let's remember that MO1 was abandoned for reasons some of you don't want to admit.

I know that this is an old argument, that was completely dismissed in MO1. But considering that MO1 died, and that alpha/beta is exactly when stuff like new features are supposed to be discussed, I think third person view should be reconsidered. I prefer first person myself, but I'd really like to get a guild or two to come over, and right now, not having this *choice* makes my every sales pitch for MO2 a non-starter. If you want to play first person, fine (I do), but we should consider no longer excluding the rest of the PVP/full loot market for no good reason, unless you want MO2 to suffer the same fate as MO1.

there is a reason why you dont have 360° to watch your back, most of the community are against this and i assume people who can only play in 3rd person wont be the backbone either. MO is a niche game and when you go the fast money way it will work for a short time. you will attract some day flies at the cost of your soul.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Adding third person view does *not* change core anything. I add the caveat that any third person view must only go directly back, max 1 meter, and go up none at all (I agree you shouldn't see over bushes, inside buildings etc.). What "core value" is being destroyed by 3rd person view, exactly? Immersion?
Only if you are forced to use it, and you're not. What is this core value I keep hearing about? No offense, but saying we should continue to do it this way b/c it was done that way in MO1 is a bad argument. MO1 *died*.
To be competitive, yes you are forced to use the mode that gives you a clear awareness advantage and that is exactly why it goes against core features of the game. One core feature itself is first person only which is is directly against and that involves all kinds of things that mandate only that and no further vision.

As I stated before, First Person is the first thing that is mentioned in the introductory text to MO.

MO2 isn't made to attract new players, aside from that being the point of any game really, it is there to bring MO to a new technological baseline and potential. And actually realize more of their initial core vision. Not strafe further from it.

I've not heard a single person ever say they are leaving because MO is first person only. The game died because it had nothing to offer, especially long-term, to anyone outside of a combat focus and even combat focused players can't thrive without anyone else. Most people I know off basically left around or shortly after release because of those reasons. And only the people that still maintained hope for more features in the future were left around.

Last edited:

Virin

Nov 20, 2020

Pretty much the entire games core gameplay is built around the fact that it is first person only.

Reactions: Vagrant

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
there is a reason why you dont have 360° to watch your back, most of the community are against this and i assume people who can only play in 3rd person wont be the backbone either. MO is a niche game and when you go the fast money way it will work for a short time. you will attract some day flies at the cost of your soul.

What is this reason why you don't have 360? In 1vX you don't have anyone to watch your back. It's not immersion, since anyone that wants to continue to play 1st person can. (I will) It just let's more people enjoy this new, not MO1 game. And I seriously doubt it's "most of the community". Most of the community left, frankly, and I'm not even sure you can claim it's the majority of the people that *hasn't* been driven off by this, "It's MY game, go away" mentality.

Just because 3rd persons paying customers aren't the backbone is no reason to not do it. PVP'ers could claim tradeskillers aren't the backbone, but that doesn't invalidate tradeskillers, and honestly, considering how many more people prefer 3rd to first, I'm not sure you can assume they won't be the backbone. Maybe that's what people are really afraid of, losing control over "their" game. (It's not MO1, that mentality drove everyone off MO1 until it died)

"go the fast money way" is a strawman argument. This isn't going the fast money way; it's giving people a choice that has *always* been wanted; one that has been asked for endlessly since MO1 began (and this isn't MO1). One could just as easily claim that things like this keep MO in the dark ages and doom it to failure. The majority of players in the full loot pvp niche prefer it, and again, it's not a core change, just an added feature. Don't like it, don't use it.

"Cost of your soul?" seriously dude, that's a bit hyperbolic, dontcha think? When I read the degree of disdain and sarcasm, I can't help but think there is a small but vocal minority that just want to keep MO to themselves, even though that killed MO1. I'm 2 posts in, and I still haven't heard anything resembling a coherent reason. It doesn't change the core game, (it's just a view, jeez), other games in this exact niche do it, so the niche argument doesn't fly, and it doesn't ruin immersion since you don't have to use it if you don't want to. So seriously, I'm still waiting to hear what reason is SO important, that it alienates the majority of players in *this exact niche* (full loot PVP) possibly dooming this game before it even starts. All I've really heard to far is, "I don't want anyone else to come compete with me in "my" game."

The fact that after a decade this is still coming up is a clue that people want this, and this vocal minority should take a chill pill. No one would be forcing *you* to use it.

Reactions: MyrmexThraxvágr

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
What is this reason why you don't have 360? In 1vX you don't have anyone to watch your back. It's not immersion, since anyone that wants to continue to play 1st person can. (I will) It just let's more people enjoy this new, not MO1 game. And I seriously doubt it's "most of the community". Most of the community left, frankly, and I'm not even sure you can claim it's the majority of the people that *hasn't* been driven off by this, "It's MY game, go away" mentality.

Just because 3rd persons paying customers aren't the backbone is no reason to not do it. PVP'ers could claim tradeskillers aren't the backbone, but that doesn't invalidate tradeskillers, and honestly, considering how many more people prefer 3rd to first, I'm not sure you can assume they won't be the backbone. Maybe that's what people are really afraid of, losing control over "their" game. (It's not MO1, that mentality drove everyone off MO1 until it died)

"go the fast money way" is a strawman argument. This isn't going the fast money way; it's giving people a choice that has *always* been wanted; one that has been asked for endlessly since MO1 began (and this isn't MO1). One could just as easily claim that things like this keep MO in the dark ages and doom it to failure. The majority of players in the full loot pvp niche prefer it, and again, it's not a core change, just an added feature. Don't like it, don't use it.

"Cost of your soul?" seriously dude, that's a bit hyperbolic, dontcha think? When I read the degree of disdain and sarcasm, I can't help but think there is a small but vocal minority that just want to keep MO to themselves, even though that killed MO1. I'm 2 posts in, and I still haven't heard anything resembling a coherent reason. It doesn't change the core game, (it's just a view, jeez), other games in this exact niche do it, so the niche argument doesn't fly, and it doesn't ruin immersion since you don't have to use it if you don't want to. So seriously, I'm still waiting to hear what reason is SO important, that it alienates the majority of players in *this exact niche* (full loot PVP) possibly dooming this game before it even starts. All I've really heard to far is, "I don't want anyone else to come compete with me in "my" game."

The fact that after a decade this is still coming up is a clue that people want this, and this vocal minority should take a chill pill. No one would be forcing *you* to use it.

you can find all arguments in this thread, understand or dont.

Reactions: Vagrant

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
To be competitive, yes you are forced to use the mode that gives you a clear awareness advantage and that is exactly why it goes against core features of the game. One core feature itself is first person only which is is directly against and that involves all kinds of things that mandate only that and no further vision.

As I stated before, First Person is the first thing that is mentioned in the introductory text to MO.

MO2 isn't made to attract new players, aside from that being the point of any game really, it is there to bring MO to a new technological baseline and potential. And actually realize more of their initial core vision. Not strafe further from it.

I've not heard a single person ever say they are leaving because MO is first person only. The game died because it had nothing to offer, especially long-term, to anyone outside of a combat focus and even combat focused players can't thrive without anyone else. Most people I know off basically left around or shortly after release because of those reasons. And only the people that still maintained hope for more features in the future were left around.

forcing first person *deprives* a clear awareness advantage, not gives.

If MO2 wasn't designed to attract new players, they would have just upgraded MO1, it's a new version of the same engine, and some new graphics.

Almost every single person I have talked to, to get them to come play this game declined because of *exactly* this.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
you can find all arguments in this thread, understand or dont.
I listed them, none hold up:
1.) doesn't ruin immersion, b/c yer not forced to use it
2.)Doesn't change anything core or not, it's an addition, not a replacement
3.) don't even remember the third tbh, and getting tired of this thread

I understand, I just don't agree.

• Haha
Reactions: Bernfred