Why we don´t need a flagging system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyconnic

May 28, 2020
Denmark
Players should enforce rules and justice in their region.
I dream about that too Godkin but at some point in your MO life you have to realise what's a dream and what's possible - in regards to a healthy game we all can enjoy.

I don't think removing the flagging system entirely will be good for THIS game as it will change the fundamentals of how we play. It will tip the scale greatly and force specific players to leave.

I think everyone can agree that MO1's flagging system was broken and created a lot of problems for all playstyles.
The real PK'ers were generally blue and the PVP'ers were red.

I could imagine the flagging system to work if - now with this bigger world - the world was split into different regions with seperate law systems.
I still hope that guilds will be able to capture the different towns and enforce their own law upon it.
However, I have no idea how to fix all the flaws in the current blue/grey/red system in MO...

Reactions: Godkin Veratas

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
If there is a time to dream, think and be open minded - it´s now.

I hope SV takes the time till march to test this further. There a few things as fundamental as the justice system and MO1 clearly showed what didn´t work. Any static system that relies on numbers deciding who gets killed by the guards will be exploited and used for the exact opposite purpose.

Instead of thinking about the terrible things players might do to each, it is worth considering the benefits of putting responsibility on the players shoulders.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
I don't think any developer will ever be stupid enough to hand total control of the player experience to random potentially dysfunctional psychotic people.

Didn't CHAZ teach you anything! Keep dreaming though xD

• Haha

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
So you got a lot of experience living in GK? And you liked it? But you don't think that experience would work for others? Cause ur a special snowflake?
My point is that I, like nearly everyone else, moved crafting activity from Kran/GK into houses/keeps then walls as soon as possible making them ghost towns most of the time (no player community or economy.) Except when people logged fighters in to kill newbs exploring or groups coming to town to fight.

A better estimate of what it would be like is to imagine what Bakti would have been like with no guards. Do you think the militia would have protected the newbies trying to live there? They had trouble doing so with guards. (Like many have said above, Bakti now is no representation of Bakti in the real game.)
In short, having no flagging and guards would benefit me and my play style, but it would kill the population and the game would fail.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
My point is that I, like nearly everyone else, moved crafting activity from Kran/GK into houses/keeps then walls as soon as possible making them ghost towns most of the time (no player community or economy.) Except when people logged fighters in to kill newbs exploring or groups coming to town to fight.

A better estimate of what it would be like is to imagine what Bakti would have been like with no guards. Do you think the militia would have protected the newbies trying to live there? They had trouble doing so with guards. (Like many have said above, Bakti now is no representation of Bakti in the real game.)
In short, having no flagging and guards would benefit me and my play style, but it would kill the population and the game would fail.
well I already went through some ideas of ways to bring players into NPC towns even without guards, its further back in this thread somewhere.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
there is a seed of truth here tho, and a big one at that. lots of people will use their flag as a shield if the new system ends up anything like MO 1. i hope whatever SV is cooking up with standings they consider how it can be abused

-barcode

Reactions: Rorry and Teknique

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
I dream about that too Godkin but at some point in your MO life you have to realise what's a dream and what's possible - in regards to a healthy game we all can enjoy.

I don't think removing the flagging system entirely will be good for THIS game as it will change the fundamentals of how we play. It will tip the scale greatly and force specific players to leave.

I think everyone can agree that MO1's flagging system was broken and created a lot of problems for all playstyles.
The real PK'ers were generally blue and the PVP'ers were red.

I could imagine the flagging system to work if - now with this bigger world - the world was split into different regions with seperate law systems.
I still hope that guilds will be able to capture the different towns and enforce their own law upon it.
However, I have no idea how to fix all the flaws in the current blue/grey/red system in MO...

Could you say more about the ones you believe would leave if players controlled towns. What scale? What are they worried about?

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
The guard's exists to help the weakest among us, weather that be new or inexperienced. Relying on the good will of the player base is no replacement regardless of how pleasant your idea is. I'm not saying its a bad idea but if the last decade of MO1 has shown us anything, its that it's not a plausible one.

However in some situations I would say the guards need to be turned down in number and be and assisting force, not a deciding one. That is if its going to be anything like MO1.

Zyconnic

May 28, 2020
Denmark
Could you say more about the ones you believe would leave if players controlled towns. What scale? What are they worried about?
I'm basing this argument on my experience from MO. This is not regarding playermade towns with walls btw
This is just my opinion from my experience and I'm not trying to state this as facts. I am happy to change opinion based on other people thoughts.
I think many would call me a "carebear" by heart since I never really embraced the full PK playstyle and always tried to fight it. Sometimes I feel I am in the miniority here hehe

Anyway...
I believe that when players have no restrictions regarding a flagging system you will more often be killed when meeting an unknown player. However, this might change with a healthy population and a new start - but I could imagine this would change over time and become more similar to what I experienced in MO1.

I do not believe that a controlling guild would be efficient enough to garanti safety for crafters, solo players, new players, traders etc. for the full duration of a day without these players being at risk most of the time. Lets call this group "casuals"
Guarding a town requires a lot of work -like many already stated in this thread regarding the A-PK playstyle - and only a small margin of mistakes are allowed before these players would move on. I could imagine they would try to find a more secure place (like Tindrem if it still had guards), a player city with walls, some would adapt and change playstyle or join the controlling guild, but i believe many would quit.

What MO1 taught me is that the typical player is always looking for the easiest way to achieve their goal.
  • The people who want to kill other players for loot are not looking for a fair fight or a fair chance to kill their target. They want to minimize the risk of getting killed themself. So they visit these towns when they know its not guarded. Or they would make a new playstyle out of harassing the town while being hunted down by the guild (like we see with thieves)
  • Same goes for the raid group who is looking for a fight. "Let's visit this town and kill all the players inside and maybe that will force the controlling guild to react so we can get some PvP". This is a better tactic than to wait outside of the town and just hope the controlling guild will respond.
  • The casuals will strife to find relative safety so they can do their activity in peace and take the nessesary risk when they want to (aka leaving the town). If they need to make a ton of preperation before doing an activity in town just to minimize the risk, this game will quickly become boring.
When I visited the unguarded towns in MO1 they were ghosttowns. I could imagine people using scout character before logging into their crafters so they didnt end up getting killed with valuables on them. Now we only have one character and this would result in that you always need to completely empty your character before logging out. If the town you're living is dominated by a player or group killing everyone - and the controlling guild is not there -, you cannot do the usual stuff and is kinda "force" to leave the game for now. The same argument can be seen with the "dark" nights atm

So to sum up:
I believe people are always looking to minimize the risk of losing their stuff. This creates a lot of complex systems and these systems are not always for the casual player. To learn this complex system you need to have experience and will often fail multiply times as the "enemy" will evolve too.
There needs to be some kind of "safezone" for the casual players where they can relax. I am not talking about a 100% secure safezone but I do not believe that playermade systems can provide enough safety for the greater good of the game.

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
I'm basing this argument on my experience from MO. This is not regarding playermade towns with walls btw
This is just my opinion from my experience and I'm not trying to state this as facts. I am happy to change opinion based on other people thoughts.
I think many would call me a "carebear" by heart since I never really embraced the full PK playstyle and always tried to fight it. Sometimes I feel I am in the miniority here hehe
I call you heathen. You're a majority.
Anyway...
I believe that when players have no restrictions regarding a flagging system you will more often be killed when meeting an unknown player. However, this might change with a healthy population and a new start - but I could imagine this would change over time and become more similar to what I experienced in MO1.
I don't have a feeling on this one way or the other. The risk calculation of killing someone in a reputation based system is more complicated. It might happen more. It might happen less. Some may see an easy kill as risk free, however, I don't think those players would last long on their own. A few encounters that lead to them being mercilessly driven from their area are powerful instructions.

I do not believe that a controlling guild would be efficient enough to garanti safety for crafters, solo players, new players, traders etc. for the full duration of a day without these players being at risk most of the time. Lets call this group "casuals"
Guarding a town requires a lot of work -like many already stated in this thread regarding the A-PK playstyle - and only a small margin of mistakes are allowed before these players would move on. I could imagine they would try to find a more secure place (like Tindrem if it still had guards), a player city with walls, some would adapt and change playstyle or join the controlling guild, but i believe many would quit.

A controlling group that can't rely on guards for their own weaknesses and weakest members would inevitably desire numbers, especially to combat rival groups. That creates a demand for players in the region to join rather than fight. That leads groups to develop more "fair" practices towards strangers. I think this is demonstrated in the Alpha. The assumption is you're cool, until you show otherwise. It is precisely because of guards that guilds can afford to be reckless with their justice, they don't really "need" numbers unless they are in a war or to accomplish some other task.

(Groups of people tend to populate in sizes that match the task that needs to get done. If the task is protection and safety, we can assume that if there is no system impediment, the size would grow to meet that need. In other words, I would expect much larger guilds, or at least larger coalitions of guilds that form to meet safety requirements in a region. This is also consistent with MO1, where we had 200 guilds on a server of 300 people.)

What MO1 taught me is that the typical player is always looking for the easiest way to achieve their goal.

No argument there. Heathens are always looking for the easiest path.
  • The people who want to kill other players for loot are not looking for a fair fight or a fair chance to kill their target. They want to minimize the risk of getting killed themself. So they visit these towns when they know its not guarded. Or they would make a new playstyle out of harassing the town while being hunted down by the guild (like we see with thieves)
Agreed.
  • Same goes for the raid group who is looking for a fight. "Let's visit this town and kill all the players inside and maybe that will force the controlling guild to react so we can get some PvP". This is a better tactic than to wait outside of the town and just hope the controlling guild will respond.
Agreed.
  • The casuals will strife to find relative safety so they can do their activity in peace and take the nessesary risk when they want to (aka leaving the town). If they need to make a ton of preperation before doing an activity in town just to minimize the risk, this game will quickly become boring.
I'm might be missing some context here. I think you're saying that it will be impossible for guilds and groups of residents to create a relatively safe environment. Again, I think groups and guilds grow to the sizes needed, so I don't think that's the case. Key being relative safety. One way to think of this is that if the perimeter killers begin to outnumber the residents, the town basically has new leadership, the casuals switch sides, and there is a return to equilibrium. A group that remains small and murders everyone will not be able to hold the town, without guards and horrible flag mechanics. Ask any guild that attempted to keep the peace, the flag system worked against them. Guards worked against them.

Also, we agree that casuals will go to the safest towns possible. This is part of what I mean by player regions will compete for the best rules and justice. There is no competition for casuals when every town with guards is roughly equal.

When I visited the unguarded towns in MO1 they were ghosttowns. I could imagine people using scout character before logging into their crafters so they didnt end up getting killed with valuables on them. Now we only have one character and this would result in that you always need to completely empty your character before logging out. If the town you're living is dominated by a player or group killing everyone - and the controlling guild is not there -, you cannot do the usual stuff and is kinda "force" to leave the game for now. The same argument can be seen with the "dark" nights atm

Unfortunately, unguarded towns in MO1 say very little about a game with guards and flags at default zero. The baseline of safety was a guarded town. That is the relative comparison no matter where you went in Nave. Casuals, as you pointed out, will stay in safer zones. That creates a selection bias for killers and risk takers in lawless regions that isn't a sustainable economy and not a reflection of a general populace.

I think you're again pointing at another reason why we would see large sustaining guilds. There would be a need for numbers and people to watch your back rather than a macro. The one character thing is pretty cool, lots of unexpected things will happen.

So to sum up:
I believe people are always looking to minimize the risk of losing their stuff. This creates a lot of complex systems and these systems are not always for the casual player. To learn this complex system you need to have experience and will often fail multiply times as the "enemy" will evolve too.
There needs to be some kind of "safezone" for the casual players where they can relax. I am not talking about a 100% secure safezone but I do not believe that playermade systems can provide enough safety for the greater good of the game.

To be clear, I think very limited and expensive guards that align with controlling guilds, and some sort of regional designation for people that are perpetually naughty are fine. They just shouldn't be default. It should be something a guild works to establish and maintain to supplement their reign, not replace it. If they are doing a good job, residents will support it. If not, they shouldn't last long.

As far as I know, they are going through with Haven. A horrible waste, but regardless, that's a safezone. The main game doesn't need any default safezones. Any system they create will be gamed and exploited to make things worse rather than better. In the loading screen the game used to instruct players to get to know the controlling guilds in their region to ensure access. That's good advice in a game without flags and default guards with a silly justice program. In MO 1, a naked blue could endlessly harass people and force murder counts that led the protecting guild to become exiled from the guardzone. That's an obvious issue that can't be avoided.

Appreciate the thoughtful reply. 🙏

Last edited:

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
The guard's exists to help the weakest among us, weather that be new or inexperienced. Relying on the good will of the player base is no replacement regardless of how pleasant your idea is. I'm not saying its a bad idea but if the last decade of MO1 has shown us anything, its that it's not a plausible one.

However in some situations I would say the guards need to be turned down in number and be and assisting force, not a deciding one. That is if its going to be anything like MO1.

Guards are no replacement for players. We essentially agree, but I think the baseline should be zero and the cost and requirements for very limited guards steep.

Reactions: Ask

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
Guards are no replacement for players. We essentially agree, but I think the baseline should be zero and the cost and requirements for very limited guards steep.

If you mean on a player built settlement then I totally agree, personally I think guards should have more placement restrictions, like the patrol post and watch tower, so the defender has to sacrifice space for defence. Then limit the amount you can place for keep controlled TC to like you said make the cost steep.

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
Nearly all "griefers" I encountered in MO1 had blue flags. Any flagging system will be circumvented and actually used against those it is supposed to protect. It was called blue blocking, not red blocking for a reason. We all know this.

I think we can draw conclusions from the current state. If only to leave more of the world to the players, and only small piece to to NPC justice.

Not trying to sound rude but it seems like you never ventured outside of Tindrem much then, seeing a blue in the world was probably easily over 10x less likely he would attack compared to a red who would attack mostly everytime... Blue blocking also didn't exist late into MO's lifecycle. I understand flagging systems don't need to exist since they don't in lots of survival games but then you will make even way more PvErs cry and quit because there are no separate servers for pvp / pve like in those games so I believe it's something that has to exist to have consequences for your actions. It's something SV is heavily overhauling for a reason.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Not trying to sound rude but it seems like you never ventured outside of Tindrem much then, seeing a blue in the world was probably easily over 10x less likely he would attack compared to a red who would attack mostly everytime... Blue blocking also didn't exist late into MO's lifecycle. I understand flagging systems don't need to exist since they don't in lots of survival games but then you will make even way more PvErs cry and quit because there are no separate servers for pvp / pve like in those games so I believe it's something that has to exist to have consequences for your actions. It's something SV is heavily overhauling for a reason.

If you had a red flag nearly every blue would attack you without warning or reason. Even when you got those kills fighting of bandits attacking your town. That happened 10 out of 10 times. If we are pulling numbers from nowhere.

I´m sure players found more ways to exploit the flagging system over the years and to escape justice. Wasn´t it great if the 3-MC person was standing next to you at the bank, putting away the stuff he looted of you and you couldn´t do anything about that?

Actions should have consequences. Any justice system run by a bit of code will have hard time doing that.

Your comment about Tindrem is kinda funny to me. I´ve played every possible playstyle in my years in Mortal, but probably spend the least amount of time in Tindrem.

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
If you had a red flag nearly every blue would attack you without warning or reason. Even when you got those kills fighting of bandits attacking your town. That happened 10 out of 10 times. If we are pulling numbers from nowhere.

I´m sure players found more ways to exploit the flagging system over the years and to escape justice. Wasn´t it great if the 3-MC person was standing next to you at the bank, putting away the stuff he looted of you and you couldn´t do anything about that?

Actions should have consequences. Any justice system run by a bit of code will have hard time doing that.

Your comment about Tindrem is kinda funny to me. I´ve played every possible playstyle in my years in Mortal, but probably spend the least amount of time in Tindrem.

Well I was just stating what your comment made it sound like.. Eitherway blues are extremely less likely to kill you when you go into the wild then a red, that's why they are blue bro.... they don't slaughter everyone on sight. But sure in town blues will always seem like the "griefers" because ugh... red's cant even go into the towns bud so no shit.

You using the MO2 alpha as evidence for not needing a flag system is hilarious though, if you don't understand why that's so laughable and even argued with people on here when they gave you plenty of legit reasons why it makes no sense then there's no hope to ever change your mind. Killing you has literally ZERO value on the alpha, but you can bet your ass when you been farming or gathering for a hour in persistence me and tons of other players will attack you or whoever that is every time... and if there wasn't a flagging system, me and tons of players would never think twice before killing those players literally endlessly everyday unlike in MO1 where my whole guild didn't want to waste a MC on some pleb gathering shit. Obviously the flag didn't stop plenty of players but it also made tons of players like me and my guild think twice before we just slaughtered randoms so that's proof it works.

Nuff said

Reactions: Wafenauser and Piet

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Well I was just stating what your comment made it sound like.. Eitherway blues are extremely less likely to kill you when you go into the wild then a red, that's why they are blue bro.... they don't slaughter everyone on sight. But sure in town blues will always seem like the "griefers" because ugh... red's cant even go into the towns bud so no shit.

You using the MO2 alpha as evidence for not needing a flag system is hilarious though, if you don't understand why that's so laughable and even argued with people on here when they gave you plenty of legit reasons why it makes no sense then there's no hope to ever change your mind. Killing you has literally ZERO value on the alpha, but you can bet your ass when you been farming or gathering for a hour in persistence me and tons of other players will attack you or whoever that is every time... and if there wasn't a flagging system, me and tons of players would never think twice before killing those players literally endlessly everyday unlike in MO1 where my whole guild didn't want to waste a MC on some pleb gathering shit. Obviously the flag didn't stop plenty of players but it also made tons of players like me and my guild think twice before we just slaughtered randoms so that's proof it works.

Nuff said

Well, you seem to have "let the words just flow out" kinda thing going on here and mostly just repeated what you said the first time. Again, the actual deeds of the player did not matter. You are saying yourself that you and your guild made a decision based on the value of the target compared to the annoyance of running a higher electrical bill. Great system.

I have agreed that having scarcity of resources and reserves are lacking. The interesting bit is that players still get very affected by death and punish those that kill and loot them. So even without those additional incentives they are establishing order.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
keep in mind it's just 1 char now and your reputation is more important. I think people are underestimating the extremes players will go to when enforcing NPK rule. Especially if it was completely dependent on the players to judge criminals and enforce those rules not artificial game mechanics.
That's how it worked in Asheron's Call I don't see why it wouldn't work the same way here.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
Well, you seem to have "let the words just flow out" kinda thing going on here and mostly just repeated what you said the first time. Again, the actual deeds of the player did not matter. You are saying yourself that you and your guild made a decision based on the value of the target compared to the annoyance of running a higher electrical bill. Great system.

I have agreed that having scarcity of resources and reserves are lacking. The interesting bit is that players still get very affected by death and punish those that kill and loot them. So even without those additional incentives they are establishing order.

I think it's an entirely different atmosphere currently so we will see behavior tolerated a lot differently when persistence hits.

Right now it makes sense people don't tolerate random killing; there is 0 gain and it only serves to annoy/troll people. Once resource scarcity is introduced and especially persistence, the incentives to kill others indiscriminately changes drastically and so will how the behavior is tolerated. It will become the accepted norm because the incentives are understood and accepted by the playerbase.

One of the more interesting things about MO1 was if someone complained about being killed randomly, the reaction to their complaining often outweighed any condemnation for the person doing the killing.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
I think it's an entirely different atmosphere currently so we will see behavior tolerated a lot differently when persistence hits.

Right now it makes sense people don't tolerate random killing; there is 0 gain and it only serves to annoy/troll people. Once resource scarcity is introduced and especially persistence, the incentives to kill others indiscriminately changes drastically and so will how the behavior is tolerated. It will become the accepted norm because the incentives are understood and accepted by the playerbase.

One of the more interesting things about MO1 was if someone complained about being killed randomly, the reaction to their complaining often outweighed any condemnation for the person doing the killing.

Let me get this straight:

When there is little to nothing to loose, players get angry for being killed, band together and deliver adhoc justice.

But when loot represents more time invested than now, they will care less? "Oh you just killed the guy next to me, that´s cool. Because of the value of loot we have decided that a FFA is really the best way to play this."

----

No one in MO1 got killed randomly. That would imply that there was a random element to it. I mean I´m sure there was someone who got out the old dice and rolled one every time they meet someone. But that seems to be an outlyer.

There always was and will be an element of consideration. In what I propose it will be someting like this: "I know these monks, WARD and MANA guys live in Vadda and kill me if I gank one of theirs. But I do want the loot." According to you that can´t happen because, you, the A-RPK and PvE guys have all turned into murdering maniacs that don´t care - because loot has value and there is no bit of code that tells you how many players someone has killed recently.

In a reputation system the consideration is different: "How many guys can I kill in this region, before I hit the limit and am not allowed to bank everything I looted." After this guy killed your buddy he will stand at the bank and have a little laugh - cause if you attack him you will be executed instantly by guards.

---

If you worry is that you won´t be able to defend yourself that is fair. Maybe the mentioned group above could have an agreement with Mýr to enforce whatever they think is just? That is in addition to the fact that every character can now fight or at least has a better chance of getting away.

I see tons of players claiming that they want to "protect" the little guy. Let them do that in a meaningful way.

Status
Not open for further replies.