Poll: Do You Like The New Combat

Now that the combat has been out for some time do you like it more or less than before

• Yes and i'm NA

• Yes and i'm EU

• No, i'm NA

• No, i'm EU

• Yes, i'm Oceanic

• No, i'm Oceanic

• Yes, and I don't want to say where i'm from

• No, and I don't want to say where i'm from

• Neutral, Please Explain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Battlex

Sep 16, 2020
The only way you can consider it "too slow" is if you expect your swing to be faster than their block. Blocks are *supposed* to be faster, or they have no reason to exist. I mean, what do you want, swings to be faster than blocks? That just won't work. What it really means is that you can't just stand their and spam swings trying to get thru block; you have to move, deceive, use the terrain, which is really more fun, realistic and immersive. And more difficult.

And outside of the jump-spinning stuff, "dancing around" is called footwork.
Short block/parry windows is the answer. Fast block but not holding a block. Blocking in the right time, that would require skill. Animation canceling to trigger the enemy block and attack afterwards .. and so on

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I'm not sure what a "lock on" system is, but since turn caps primary raison d'etre is to stop spinning, a really do think it's a good solution. Spinning has to go. And I haven't heart anything close to a better idea.
They have already made turn caps more strict each patch, but they havent accomplished anything. This is a lock on system, it would solve all problems with pesky players trying to spin

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Short block/parry windows is the answer. Fast block but not holding a block. Blocking in the right time, that would require skill. Animation canceling to trigger the enemy block and attack afterwards .. and so on
no, artificial caps are not the answer; if I want to hold my shield up, then I can hold my shield up. I try to imagine holding my shield up, and for some reason it goes down against my will for no reason, while I still have the strength to do it, and it's just laughable. Blocks don't cover everything, just a limited area (up,down, left, right), you need to attack where the block *isn't*. It sounds to me like you jsut want to stand still trading blows. No thanks. Start moving, start feinting, start aiming your shots at specific parts of the body, block *never* covers everything, if you can't get past block, you need to aim somewhere else.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
chuckle, spinning is over bro, this isn't MO1. And if you could actually "block everything" then no one would be dying in-game, and they most assuredly are, hehe.
This is only because spinning exist tho, when they finally remove them a player should be able to block everything and not fight if he doesnt want to. When you think about it, this solves the griefing problem too, only players willing to attack others will be open to attacks themselves.

Battlex

Sep 16, 2020
no, artificial caps are not the answer; if I want to hold my shield up, then I can hold my shield up. I try to imagine holding my shield up, and for some reason it goes down against my will for no reason, while I still have the strength to do it, and it's just laughable. Blocks don't cover everything, just a limited area (up,down, left, right), you need to attack where the block *isn't*. It sounds to me like you jsut want to stand still trading blows. No thanks. Start moving, start feinting, start aiming your shots at specific parts of the body, block *never* covers everything, if you can't get past block, you need to aim somewhere else.
okay, leave the block as long as you want but remove the "hold to charge swing" and faster swings with animation canceling. That way you could feint a right attack, opponent blocks and you switch to left swing. if you switch faster you win that trade. There you have skilled combat without "footwork aka spinning, dancing and running up an down to get a hit"

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
They have already made turn caps more strict each patch, but they havent accomplished anything. This is a lock on system, it would solve all problems with pesky players trying to spin

That's the game everyone cries about constantly right?

Go figure.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020

Wow.

What a great and engaging game. I really wish MO2 becomes like this.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I may be misunderstanding lock-on, but it sounds like the console version of tab-targetting to me; if so, no thanks.

Reactions: Zequron

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
turn cap is that, but even worse.
No it isn't. Turn caps stop mouse-dragging, which stops, among other things, spinning. And since people are still spinning, turn caps needs to be increased imo. Sorry if you miss spinning in MO1, but it sucked, and was a ridiculous way to win.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
No it isn't. Turn caps stop mouse-dragging, which stops, among other things, spinning. And since people are still spinning, turn caps needs to be increased imo. Sorry if you miss spinning in MO1, but it sucked, and was a ridiculous way to win.
“I shall see.”

― Louis XIV (King of France)

Eskaldar

Jun 25, 2020
It's just that there are different possibilities of combat mechanics in this kind of games. For example, in Chivalry and in Mordhau, you have both a hit and a parry that have a cooldown and a charge and release time, while when you press a hit / parry, you can only cancel it while the charge time is running, when it passes, you can't cancel the hit or parry. In this kind of games in battle, you need to focus more on timings and distance to the enemy. At the same time, in this kind of games there is no clearly directed block / parry. You just need to get to the timings in time. Other games like Maunt and Blade and Gloria Victis use directed strikes / parries and there is no need to spend time on timings. Here it is more necessary to concentrate on which side the blow is coming from. At the same time, you can hold the blocks of blows. MO and MO2 go the second way and someone may like it, and someone does not. But to interfere with these two systems of combat mechanics, I believe, is fundamentally wrong. Remove in MO2, holding the block with a shield will allow archers to shoot shield players. To give the opportunity to repel arrows as in Mordhau, I think it is stupid and not an acceptable ability. In MO2, the actual combat system is not very fast. But do not forget, magic has not yet been introduced and it seems that they promised to start throwing weapons. Whether it increases the average fighter's life on the battlefield or decreases it, that's what matters. I think in MO2 it is necessary to increase the damage when hitting with the handle, because often players get too close and it is extremely problematic to strike with a non-handle. And the damage of the handle at the moment, in dense, is usually equal to 0. In MO1, the damage to the handle seemed to be greater. It would allow to avoid such long battles. For example, in Mordhau and Chivary, there is no handle damage per se. Whether it's better or not is up to you. Realism, of course, gives that you can deal damage with a handle, but in real combat, if I wanted to hit not with a handle, even in a tight one, I would do it. In MO2 I will have to hit enemy legs or I will hit with a handle. I don't like it.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Ok that is fine, edit. Reading your posts I actually think we agree on the combat situation. We do not agree that the requirement to be "good" is to spin and so on.

Well, trying to mask hit direction works from time to time, you will get hits every now and again that way but really to pull it off you need to be in close getting the better of your opponents tracking and will mostly need a weapon that does not create a handle hit and is pretty fast (mostly going to be a sword, it seems to require the least amount of skill), however these weapons tend to come with the trade of not very high damage (in gear available currently). We tried this style of play around 30 - 40 hrs in (now at 100), we got use to it and it stopped being a problem, it is also expensive with stamina use. To counter the playstyle it just needs good tracking, getting use to the animations and backing away or taking any other opportunity to create some distance.

From what we have observed patience, timing, baiting and knowing the range of your weapon will out perform that playstyle, although it can be very confusing and appear very chaotic and frustrating to a beginner.

Now having said that, I am not 'god tier', I am usually in the average to just above average range and sometimes things go wrong, you mess up your timing and range and lose your target a few times and someone melts you with a nooby leg humping sword spam. Shit happens. But that does not mean what I have written above is not correct and when all mistakes are eliminated, I will 3 shot people trying that in short order.

As to the argument that the spinning needs to be removed. I would be reluctant to make a call on that. It is not at Gloria Victis levels of stupid is all I will say. The core of the combat to me looks pretty good, as mentioned above by Teknique it could do with more options as it does get a little stale, I could mention the issues and suggestions but I have briefly mentioned some before, there are obviously some balance issues also. I think I will let the game develop a little more before playing again.

Hopefully some of these people won't have managed to convince the devs to regress the game into the state of MO1 combat by then.

Last edited:

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
So the combat system isn't that different to mo1 and won't be? Aren't we getting new changes that were never in mo1 to begin with?
Its not a complete revamp or anything its mostly the same with some minor changes and some new mechanics like the overhead being integrated into the directional attacks and we are getting a kick and some special attacks for each weapon group. Movement speed is also slowed down to reduce at lot of the desync effects and at the same time also made weapon length matter. Arrows are now also a visual object that just makes it feel much nicer. We havnt seen what they plan with attributes for characters yet other than that Henrik sad we will all be able to max our attributes. Magic and mounted has not been mentioned much at all other than we are first getting Ecumentical spells. So no info if they are making any changes there.

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
Ping is actually a bigger factor in winning a fight then people realize and having 150 pings sucks ass. Both swing at the same time his hits for dmg, mine is parried even though he was in swinging animation on my screen. One server in a first person real time combat game sucks dong anyway you slice it and makes me not want to play this game.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Ping is actually a bigger factor in winning a fight then people realize and having 150 pings sucks ass. Both swing at the same time his hits for dmg, mine is parried even though he was in swinging animation on my screen. One server in a first person real time combat game sucks dong anyway you slice it and makes me not want to play this game.
But I thought the combat was orgasmic? The ping is normalized mate, there is no such thing as ping in this game now. Everyone has an equal chance in this perfect combat system. Maybe you just need to get better?

HentaiKing

Jul 9, 2020
Yep, after dueling a bunch last night I've realized that the melee game is essentially unplayable if you're not east coast US or european. If you're not in those regions you need to play mounted, Ranged, or mage. There is no way around that.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Yep, after dueling a bunch last night I've realized that the melee game is essentially unplayable if you're not east coast US or european. If you're not in those regions you need to play mounted, Ranged, or mage. There is no way around that.
Maybe we just need to slow it down more? How much slower should it be for us non EU players to be able to compete?