Poll: Do You Like The New Combat

Now that the combat has been out for some time do you like it more or less than before

• Yes and i'm NA

• Yes and i'm EU

• No, i'm NA

• No, i'm EU

• Yes, i'm Oceanic

• No, i'm Oceanic

• Yes, and I don't want to say where i'm from

• No, and I don't want to say where i'm from

• Neutral, Please Explain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
Isn't this how all pvp is?

It depends on the context I suppose. In a 1v1 fight the statement it true due to the lack of options one has to beat an equally skilled opponent. In group fights their are considerably more variables that will determine the winner. I guess if you watered all those variables down you could consider them mistakes. An example of this could be in a 5v5, 2 from one team focus 1 on the other and make it so regardless of the block direction the 1 always takes damage. If the 1 isn't experienced in positioning and movement then death will occur. That could be seen as a mistake yet it doesn't deter from the fact that in a 1v1 situation their are a lack of options when it comes to dealing with someone equally as skilled.

In MO1 you were able to get around block's, it wasn't easy but it was an extra tactic you could apply to 1v1 combat to damage and pressure your opponent. I feel that its much more difficult in MO2.

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
An adjustment like you are suggesting, if I understand correctly, would not change who has the advantage (which I think is the problem you are trying to solve.) It would give those near the server even more advantage as they already have more time to block. i.e. all people would lose the same amount of time to block, but since some start with more time they would end with more time and those far from the server who have less time would still have less time.
This is why I favor changes that allow player skill to increase, so instead of an artificial delay or other mechanical intervention, I would like them to try increasing swing and movement speed little by little and see if they can raise the skill ceiling without introducing more de-sync.
Hopefully they will continue to optimize and stabilize the server as well. They still have some massive problem areas/times.
It's already that way and to make matters worse their hits land crooked anyway. The reality isnif the window were more larger entire series of aggression would havr to be metered oyt as positioning would play the role it did in mo1. People hsed to fight like dogs would. Positioning mainly and attacking at the right moments. Nothing can be more egrigious an advantage as to have full access to block at lightning speed and leveraging it with gear. The problem I solve is for the noob vs zerg.

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
An adjustment like you are suggesting, if I understand correctly, would not change who has the advantage (which I think is the problem you are trying to solve.) It would give those near the server even more advantage as they already have more time to block. i.e. all people would lose the same amount of time to block, but since some start with more time they would end with more time and those far from the server who have less time would still have less time.
This is why I favor changes that allow player skill to increase, so instead of an artificial delay or other mechanical intervention, I would like them to try increasing swing and movement speed little by little and see if they can raise the skill ceiling without introducing more de-sync.
Hopefully they will continue to optimize and stabilize the server as well. They still have some massive problem areas/times.
Having less blocks available will lessen the instance reponse of "desync" because it won't exist.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I don't think that it will work out the way you are envisioning. Remember it will keep the noobs from being able to block as well.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
Why can't I see messages that the block in the game is broken? The block does not work in dynamics the first time (when the character moves and tries to block). The block above and the block below does not work. It only works on the third try. I'm talking about the case when I try to block using the movement of the mouse, if the block on top and the block on the bottom are used through hot keys, then it works correctly.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
Why can't I see messages that the block in the game is broken? The block does not work in dynamics the first time (when the character moves and tries to block). The block above and the block below does not work. It only works on the third try. I'm talking about the case when I try to block using the movement of the mouse, if the block on top and the block on the bottom are used through hot keys, then it works correctly.
Ya this def needs to get fixed
I use key bind for center block but upper block with mouse and it sticks.

Over all though I really like the combat so far it's been fun. I think there's a lot that can be built off it to help with some of the pace issues at times in 1v1. As an example one thing I think would be cool is different and unique double jump abilities. Different animations. You can acquire different moves to suit your playstyle. Like a standard double jump to the side like in MO1, but you could get a special spinning sidestep move like this:

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
Ya this def needs to get fixed
I use key bind for center block but upper block with mouse and it sticks.

Over all though I really like the combat so far it's been fun. I think there's a lot that can be built off it to help with some of the pace issues at times in 1v1. As an example one thing I think would be cool is different and unique double jump abilities. Different animations. You can acquire different moves to suit your playstyle. Like a standard double jump to the side like in MO1, but you could get a special spinning sidestep move like this:
I mean this

Battlex

Sep 16, 2020
I voted "No and from EU".
I didn't played MO1 and for me, a new player, MO2 is too slow. 1vs1 and 1vX isn't fun. Don't know if it's better in group fights though

Reactions: ThaBadMan and Rorry

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
I find Gloria Victis to be slower, I logged in to check the blocking system quickly again and was surprised how much faster MO2 is.

Reactions: Ministro

duckydaddles

May 28, 2020
I personally like the combat, for people wanting to speed it up, they need to consider that there are currently a lot of issues with the system that are being abused by the people wanting it to be sped up..... In my opinion defensive choices should be EASIER, if I am not interested in a fight, or being ganked, I should be able to fend off the attackers by being defensive. Every aggressive action should have a faster defensive action. To ask to speed things up, or adjust the game before they even have magic added is fairly poor foresight. Even attempting to balance around 1v1 is a poor choice. I would still like them to slow down the ability to do 360 spins, which if they speed the game up will only get worse. that is my two cents.

Reactions: Ministro

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Swing delay ruining the game sadly. its just not fun and competitive in the current state.

This is the kind of hyperbolic non-sense this forum doesn't need. The vast majority of combat systems aren't even in yet, the game isn't even going to be released this *year*, and yet somehow it's already "ruined". If you want faster swings, use a faster weapon, greatswords aren't supposed to insta-swing as fast as you can click your mouse. It's far more realistic and immersive now, obeying physics like weapon weight, and using turn caps to stop flying triple pirouettes in midair in full plate armor with a massive 2-hander. Turn caps might even need to be increased; people are trying the jumping spins again, and it almost sorta works. Perhaps turning should cost a touch of stamina, like jumping, to lessen the spin-spam. It's already so much better than MO1, and I can't wait to test balance when the rest of the combat systems, like mounted/taming/dom/magic/etc come in.

Frankly, the only change I'd like to see, is the reticle gone; it works against immersion, you don't need a wind up indicator, the weapon winding up does that already, and most archers I've spoken to don't like it anyway.

Battlex

Sep 16, 2020
Turn caps might even need to be increased;

I agree. I don't like the spin and jumping combat like in mordhaul or other first person sword combat games. Honestly it happens in this game as well, more running and jumping around instead of fast paced combat with blocking and parrying. I would like faster swings and shorter block & Parry windows. There must come the skill from. Not jumping around and trying to faint that way.
But either way the combat right now is just so freakin slow.. I don't know if that's a good decision. And ppl saying "it's in alpha, it's not done yet, not every aspect of combat is implemented yet" is a bad excuse. This is the only time, where we can test the core system and give feedback. I think too many ppl have that "let's see what the combat looks like in a few months" mindset and later it's done and hard to go back to change the core system..

Reactions: Rorry

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I like the pace of combat myself; you are forced to use tactics like footwork/environment/deception, which makes for better combat imo. You can still get fast swings; you just have to use a faster weapon; don't expect massive greatswords to it. Time to kill is also a non-starter of an argument. I see it being used currently to justify bringing back the steam-rolling of people that helped kill MO1. I haven't read anywhere that anyone was promised quicky ninja alpha-strike kills; perhaps a gun-based game would suit you better. MO2 combat is more immersive, realistic, and tactical. And that's awesome.

It also needs to be remembered that this pace of combat and using physics resolves a great many latency-based issues that were exploited in MO1, like tricking prediction, breaking animations to go thru someones parry that you shouldn't have, and of course, that physically impossible jump-spin pirouette. It also allows people of many different ping times to play together fairly, allowing literally the entire world to play. Considering the one-server-for-the-entire-world mandate of Henrik's, that's important. This is the way it is in MO2, repeated polls have shown more people like it better than bringing the old way back, and that's a good thing. Some people are just going to have to accept that MO2 isn't MO1.

Reactions: Ori

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
This PvP video decidedly demonstrates how slow combat in this game is. Fight took 8 freaking hours. Nothing happens until enemy goes for a flank. Game to favorable to zergs. Combat is literally dogshit. Devz plzzzzz fix!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyloth

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
This PvP video decidedly demonstrates how slow combat in this game is. Nothing happens until enemy goes for a flank. Game to favorable to zergs. Combat is literally dogshit. Devz plzzzzz fix!

Thanks for pointing out how much more historically accurate it is now. That's going to be important when mounted comes in.

Battlex

Sep 16, 2020
I haven't read anywhere that anyone was promised quicky ninja alpha-strike kills; perhaps a gun-based game would suit you better. MO2 combat is more immersive, realistic, and tactical. And that's awesome.
I don't want steam rolling, i don't want ninja fast kills. I would love a skill based combat based off blocking and parrying. Right now it's slow AND everyone with high "skill" is dancing around like a ballerina.

The latency argument is a bad argument, i think. Going for less quality for one-server politics is understandable for a small studio but just not a good argument for the overall gameplay.

Either way i'll give this game a try and try to adopt to the combat. I'll really dig the vision for mo2, hope it will be succesful.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Right now it's slow AND everyone with high "skill" is dancing around like a ballerina.

Are you talking about Skill points? everyone starts and stays with same maxed combat skills? If not I can't really make sense of what you are trying to say tbh sorry.

"Either way i'll give this game a try and try to adopt to the combat. " Sounds good.