Poll: Do You Like The New Combat

Now that the combat has been out for some time do you like it more or less than before

• Yes and i'm NA

• Yes and i'm EU

• No, i'm NA

• No, i'm EU

• Yes, i'm Oceanic

• No, i'm Oceanic

• Yes, and I don't want to say where i'm from

• No, and I don't want to say where i'm from

• Neutral, Please Explain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Your max speed in combat sprint is 425. If you go over 24kg armor weight and 64kg inventory weight you'll notice that number go down. Mind you those values are based on your character's current STR and CON which are both very high. In most builds, it will be much lower and there are other penalties such as mana and stam regen that kick in at lower thresholds. And certain racial bonuses will be around like Ohgmir may get a higher armor weight limit before penalties. Also worth noting an equipped weapon is neither counted as armor weight nor inventory weight at this point. It's weight counts against swing speed and causes more stam drain but as far as carry weight goes once it's equipped it disappears.

Last edited:

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Your max speed in combat sprint is 425. If you go over 24kg armor weight and 64kg inventory weight you'll notice that number go down.

Have switched between naked / 14kg / 15kg / 25 and 26kg and have seen no difference in numbers on run speed stats and actual ground covered until stammed out in combat stance.

Shall check again to be sure, perhaps a bug. Unless you are saying I need 64kg in the bag aswell.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
In both mo1 and in mo2, the effect on your speed and stam from equipment and carry weight is set in increments on specific points.
Same goes for mana regen. at 20+ armor weight in mo1 your mana regen is 0, even with vitalism and meditation(since they just % boost your current regen).

Should be something like 5, 10, 20. But im sure they've changed those around a bit.
I remember stamina regen being a bit slow on my max str 30+ equipment weight thur/kall.

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
Lol
Honestly the dev team is spending way too much time balancing combat when combat isn't even feature complete. You can't be talking about combat balance when its just foot 1v1s(the most ping based fight).

It's always gona feel bad if you have high ping.

It's always gona feel good if you have low ping.

As long as the high ping player can interact with the low ping then the game is passable and the dev team should move on. This is a UO style game not wow arena or league of legends. It's not competitive match making. This is a ganking and territory war game. You should be asking Henrik for 1v1 and 3v3 matchmaking if thats not your thing.

Mage/MC/MA, the highest skill roles, compete very well even with high ping. The dev team should focus on getting the higher skill roles out before balancing.
This suppose to be a noob friendly view?

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
I believe that it is too early to make any changes in the combat system, before the introduction of all combat mechanics. I mean before the introduction of magic and normal bows and maunts to change something - it's too early. But i think a player should be able to play both defensively and offensively. MO1 defense was sometimes very difficult to play, especially if you have a high ping and the opponent has a fast weapon.
That's why positioning and stam management was important more important in both 1v1 and 1vX

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
There is no increased stam drain on low HP like it was in MO1 and this seems to be a big issue when it comes to the drawn out kiting.

Magic and mounted is much easier to balance to the foot combat system than the other way around. With the slower movement speed, combat now have a feeling of range. Ranged weapons like bows and magic might be able to get more damage done, before you reach them. Depends on if you even get enough time to cast one more spell or shoot another arrow.

Mounted are as always having speed advantage on foot so if your solo on foot or to spread out you will get easily picked off by mounted. If you form a circle with shields/spears you can easily hold of mounteds and take very minor damage. This was the case in MO1 even before the nerfs and when EQ didnt dismount and hit for 80s(got nerfed to 60s). Assuming there wont be anymore changes to mounted players in MO2, it will be somewhat similar. Mounteds might need some buffing to be honest. They got so many nerfs after the EQ change. They where however still viable in their intended areas of combat, but had to increase gear cost to easily dismount other mounteds. I cant speak of how elementalism changed mounted as i have barely seen it in use.

So to sum this up i think there will not be any massive difference in the combat from how it was in MO1, but that players will be stay together more and a lot due to the foot movement speed being lowered and map being bigger(more important to stay alive). I would expect mounted would get a similar movement speed decrease as it makes the game look and feel better, less teleporting. I would like to see mounted and magic how it looks and feels and if it got bugs that needs fixing, but i dont think it will change much in combat balance.

Never meant to type this much... Sorry.:)
So the combat system isn't that different to mo1 and won't be? Aren't we getting new changes that were never in mo1 to begin with?
pierre, if you don't understand combat pvp variable regarding mo, how the hell would you understand what is in need of testing.
Grifers really ? the griefers in the alpha are like 2 or 3 people rerolling chars and getting zerged 3V10 many times. It is a combat alpha, all should be tested including people not wanting to get killed that are being jumped by somebody when they one hit. why? because it needs to happen, if it isnt happening, you are testing bad , or you are doing unobjective testing and focus on a particular task. What is also good but... We just need all kind of testing, and the griefers as you call them are the one testing the most escapes routes, roofs jumping , so they know stuck spots, collisions shits issues etc. Why , cause they get jumped by 5 people while being alone on their way to survive

I know cause i play the alpha, i don't grief, and take down thoses people everyone call griefers. Difference is i don't complain, i embrasse it, they want to fight against the crowd and knowing they gonna get zerged in couple minutes, fine. Why are people so mad, even trying to make thoses people banned ? While they simply play the krannesh guerilla tactics playstyle... You guys wanting them to get banned are a danger for balance and for the game.

You could even find a dupe hitting somebody that is crafting while he's doing crafting animation and you hit him. Suchs things you need to test to find all thoses issues, all the little thing most people didnt think about but do experiment in the game. All this is part of testing.

You are the one exagerating to prove a point. griefing lol. You immediatly can respawn , you loose nothing, and yet you all crybabies are constantly putting the word griefing in anything that isnt an arranged group fight.
Welcome to mortal online. When the game gonna release, all people or 99% of thoses people that are so mad for being killed a few times in the alpha, what do you think is gonna happen to them ? They gonna be very loud you 'll see and they gonna disapear, erazed from the game
And the guerilla style helps noobs in the long run seeing as how new players by definition likely cannot be expected to have larger groups of better skilled and better armed players. Guerilla style 1vX opportunities Would help the throughput of newbies to intermediate without being stonewalled against numbers. Reasonably being a solid equitable and impartial core.

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
The thing is Badman, for Americans (or me at least) swing speed is faster now than it was at the beginning of testing. At the beginning I would watch videos of Eu's swinging and wonder just why in the hell they could swing so much faster than me. Then also turn around and parry every thing I tried, even if they were in the middle of a swing.

Edit: Added. That doesn't mean I don't want them to increase speed.

A base increase or a base delay to block would be better than this landed supposition. Isn't the fact that people couldn't land the hit what is frustrating the problem in the first place?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Have switched between naked / 14kg / 15kg / 25 and 26kg and have seen no difference in numbers on run speed stats and actual ground covered until stammed out in combat stance.

Shall check again to be sure, perhaps a bug. Unless you are saying I need 64kg in the bag aswell.

It's a subtle drop-off and I could be wrong on number. I remember if you do full tungsteel/ironsilk at 100% though you go just barely over. Running a lighter piece in one arm-slot is enough to bring you back under.

Bloodterst

Dec 1, 2020

weightspeed.png

Reactions: Ori

Malathion

May 29, 2020
Didn't play pre speed adjustments. Was really impressed with earlier speeds and excited to try. When jumping on (after speed was reduced) i found speeds and battle clunky and slow. Speed needs a boost.
No in EU.
Will be a pain to solo roam.
Combat to slow.
Time to kill too high.
Everything heavier than a sword feels miserable to fight with.
This

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
A base increase or a base delay to block would be better than this landed supposition. Isn't the fact that people couldn't land the hit what is frustrating the problem in the first place?
No, because it affects every one. Landing the hit wasn't the problem precisely, being easily parried and not being able to parry were both issues. That was early in the game, not now, as well. Now everyone swings slowly and parrying is easy unless someone tricks prediction and animations get out of sync. If they would remove head movement animations it would fix most of that. Then if they speed movement and swings up combat will be in a better place.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
We sure can target the retirement home demographics now. SV is doing good in expanding their audience.

Actually they should slow even more the combat since the problem is not fixed, you still get hit thru parrys when an eu does a counter stab. This is unacceptable on a global server where high ping players are supposed to compete.
The Global Market got too much invested to have ping ruin sales.
We should make it turn based, you simply make it so that a player can only hit another 1 time until he has hit back. This way every player no matter the handicap or slow reaction times can compete in a safe nurturing environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teknique

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
Yes I like it because I'm a bad pvp and seem ( but need a loot to try yet) that now I have maybe a thiny chance to win. Lol
Also It's more realistic that MO1 combat system.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
We should make it turn based, you simply make it so that a player can only hit another 1 time until he has hit back.

I don't agree, the speed is just fine the way it is. Seems most people agree that its pretty good right now.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I don't agree, the speed is just fine the way it is. Seems most people agree that its pretty good right now.
It's not fine. Players get hit through their blocks and experience rubberbanding and get hits from far away still. Conclusion is we need to slow the combat down even further.

Why not skip the middle steps and go straight to turn-based combat, saves time and money that can be spent on making high-definition Death Knights.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Honestly, if you're trying sell an immersion-based MMORPG you're targeting people in their 30s and up primarily. MMO audiences tend to be a bit older. RPG audiences tend to be a bit older. Then you're trying to market it globally on a single server so no matter where you put the server people are going to be experiencing pings of 150+ in relatively high numbers. This game would be a fundamental failure if it's aimed primarily at professional counterstrike players because that shoots the middle finger at soooo many members of its target audience.

The real-time combat seems to be there for the immersion factor. Being in a first-person perspective swinging a sword manually puts you into your character's shoes. That is the level of twitch I'd consider essential to the game.

You don't need a high degree of twitch for combat to feel very immersive though and this isn't the appropriate format to push the bounds of what a 16-year-old with a ping of 2 can do. Thankfully with the promised special abilities, they could really push the depth and challenge of tactical gameplay a lot further than they did in MO1. And I'd love to see them really pursue that. "Low twitch" doesn't have to mean "unskilled". And this game is only low-twitch compared to arena shooters etc. It's extremely high twitch even in the current system by MMORPG standards.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Why not skip the middle steps and go straight to turn-based combat, saves time and money that can be spent on making high-definition Death Knights.

It kind of seems like you're trolling but I'll respond like this was a serious post. The turn-based combat would ruin my immersion entirely and the uniquely immersive atmosphere of Mortal Online is a huge selling point of this game to me.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
It kind of seems like you're trolling but I'll respond like this was a serious post. The turn-based combat would ruin my immersion entirely and the uniquely immersive atmosphere of Mortal Online is a huge selling point of this game to me.
Don't care. Fairness matters before all.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Making this game turn based would require a total overhaul of the entire core premise of the game and would have like 2% support among its current audience. The only basis for reasonable discussion to be had is you support the general premise of the game.

People who believe in a slower more tactical real-time system have a place here.

People who believe in a fast action-based system have a place here.

People who believe the game should be tab-targeted, turn-based, or anything else that radically alters this game to stand for something entirely different than what it has been marketed as thus far need to find a game closer to their personal preferences. If you care about "fairness" how would it be fair to market a game as a first-person, real-time, non-targeted MMO, sell a bunch of copies at 39$ each to people who want that, then change it to a turn-based system?

Last edited:

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
It's not fine. Players get hit through their blocks and experience rubberbanding and get hits from far away still. Conclusion is we need to slow the combat down even further.

Once again, may i direct you to the poll outcome. It seems most people are OK with combat speed.

I don't see why the same few people seem to insist on fixing a problem that does not exist.