No 3rd person confirmed

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020
Let me start by saying that I respect Henrik’s decision to keep the game as immersive as possible, to make your character feel like it’s you playing it. Understanding that fighting a bear in first person is a lot different than fighting it in first.

The concerns I have is that this game is already in a niche group of people that want to play a hard core full loot pvp game which puts it in a iffy situation in terms of money along with many others that have done this. To add that it’s only first person puts it even further into the niche. My pvp coalition for Life is Feudal was interested in this game but immediately fell short from no 3rd person view. My group that plays 100v100 battles in full loot pvp melee combat doesn’t want to play this game, not a single one because of no 3rd person. We all enjoy Life is Feudal, Atlas, Last Oasis and a couple other full loot games but my guild all said they can’t play first person. Your splitting what niche group you have in half currently.

As it stands the 110 FOV just isn’t enough for melee combat, I can’t even keep an archer in view as he’s dancing around my FOV since I can’t even see my shoulders or what’s next to my shoulders. Even Henrik on stream couldn’t keep an archer in view cause it was dancing around his FOV and he was swinging randomly sometimes.

A nice compromise could be to make a 3rd person that is extremely close to your character, can either place the camera on either the right or left shoulder and let the player choose which side, maybe place the camera almost on the top of the head of the character, something close so you cant see people behind walls and such which is what most people are concerned about.

All in all I love the game but I wouldn’t pay for it without 3rd person, if it was F2P then I would play it without 3rd but orherwise I wouldn’t. Maybe I can find a way to mod it for triple monitors to see a good 270degrees and ruin Henriks immersion 😂

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Let me start by saying that I respect Henrik’s decision to keep the game as immersive as possible, to make your character feel like it’s you playing it. Understanding that fighting a bear in first person is a lot different than fighting it in first.

The concerns I have is that this game is already in a niche group of people that want to play a hard core full loot pvp game which puts it in a iffy situation in terms of money along with many others that have done this. To add that it’s only first person puts it even further into the niche. My pvp coalition for Life is Feudal was interested in this game but immediately fell short from no 3rd person view. My group that plays 100v100 battles in full loot pvp melee combat doesn’t want to play this game, not a single one because of no 3rd person. We all enjoy Life is Feudal, Atlas, Last Oasis and a couple other full loot games but my guild all said they can’t play first person. Your splitting what niche group you have in half currently.

As it stands the 110 FOV just isn’t enough for melee combat, I can’t even keep an archer in view as he’s dancing around my FOV since I can’t even see my shoulders or what’s next to my shoulders. Even Henrik on stream couldn’t keep an archer in view cause it was dancing around his FOV and he was swinging randomly sometimes.

A nice compromise could be to make a 3rd person that is extremely close to your character, can either place the camera on either the right or left shoulder and let the player choose which side, maybe place the camera almost on the top of the head of the character, something close so you cant see people behind walls and such which is what most people are concerned about.

All in all I love the game but I wouldn’t pay for it without 3rd person, if it was F2P then I would play it without 3rd but orherwise I wouldn’t. Maybe I can find a way to mod it for triple monitors to see a good 270degrees and ruin Henriks immersion 😂
No

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020
Another expert in marketing and computer games development:).
I’m not saying I’m an expert 🤷🏻‍♂️ But seeing how they sent out over 40k keys and over 20k activated their keys but we never hit 5k players playing on the one server there is at one time says a lot.

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020
I am not big on the saying but if you state you will not play the game unless a core part of the game is changed then this game is probably not for you.
I wouldn’t go as far as saying a different camera angle is a core game element, more like a feature. Mordhau’s is mainly about playing in first person but third is a nice feature added

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
Increasing fov maybe. But you cant have third person in mortal it would break the gameplay. You aren’t supposed to have the situational awareness that it would give you. You’re friends who play with you are the ones who can give you a third person perspective by telling you if someone is still behind you chasing you, etc. Also, i can track targets zipping through enemy/friendly lines and still hit them. It just takes time and practice to be used to it.

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020
In this game it is.
Listen, I understand and seen all you guys prowling these forums day and nite to keep this game at its core and white knighting it to death but adding another camera angle is not going to kill this game, how will it affect you? Most people including Henrik argue you won’t be able to sneak around people and sneak up on them. I argue it makes it easier to sneak up on people. You can now see over bushes and around trees to where your enemy is so you can sneak around better without haveing to pop your little head up every second. Again, we will see how the game will do. Henrik had his hopes for 5k people playing this new mmo yesterday and it flopped

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
Henrik just needs to run a legitimate marketing campaign and also advertise on steam. Giving away 20 or 40 thousand keys is helping but its also being exploited by people getting multiple keys.
Listen, I understand and seen all you guys prowling these forums day and nite to keep this game at its core and white knighting it to death but adding another camera angle is not going to kill this game, how will it affect you? Most people including Henrik argue you won’t be able to sneak around people and sneak up on them. I argue it makes it easier to sneak up on people. You can now see over bushes and around trees to where your enemy is so you can sneak around better without haveing to pop your little head up every second. Again, we will see how the game will do. Henrik had his hopes for 5k people playing this new mmo yesterday and it flopped
Youre not meant to see over bushes and around trees.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

Right there you have demonstrated perfectly how it makes you be able to see what you should not be able to.

Again, if this is what you are looking for then you are looking in the wrong place.

Last edited:

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I would say that the 2000 or so of us who play the game for what it is, are the target audience that SV is going for, and rightly so.

If 3rd person view were to be added, then in the eyes of the target audience (people like myself and others) this game has gone against its core design vision and is no longer Mortal Online 2.

Having seen the downfall of a number of beloved MMORPGs over the years (case in point, Star Wars Galaxies) that have decided to fundamentally change their core design vision, in order to try to grab a larger share of the pie, to do so would be a catastrophic mistake. Here's what would likely happen:

The people who have stayed with Mortal Online 1 for the better part of a decade, and now MO2, would likely be the first to leave. The newer demographic that liked something that the game didn't have before but now suddenly has would come, perhaps in large numbers - At first.

However, because the game is no longer unique in the way that it drew its original target audience, it now has to directly compete (and compete even harder) with all the other games that it is now trying to copy. Eventually, the newer demographic that came because of the fundamental change will find that the games that they liked before coming here were better, more fun and interesting, and slowly they would go back to those games. We've seen this happen numerous times with WoW and the many WoW clones back in the 2000s.

History has proven time and time again that when a game decides to fundamentally change because of the perceived benefit it would gain, it almost always fades away like a mirage in the end - Short term gain for long term loss.

I would end by saying that one of the reasons why MO2 is still the #1 most hyped game is perhaps due in no small part to SV's steadfast commitment to the vision it has for this game, right down to keeping it first-person only.

Last edited:

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Sorry, but no. You're going to find one of the *good* things about MO is that it is only first person. I don't want third person for obvious reasons.

- It breaks immersion.
- It can be used to peak / bug out things, especially considering looking through walls and potentially pressing your camera into someone's assets / house.
- All of MO1 / MO2's game designs typically revolve around first person meaning there would be extra dev. time on something that wasn't initially intended.
- It will have given advantages and disadvantages, forcing players into weird pseudo-metas of "Well if you're doing X then be first, but Y you should be third person."

In a game like Darkfall for example, it was fine because the combat also didn't have an emphasis on hitting specific parts of the body.

Angelo

May 28, 2020
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me

Just no. Simple give up. No argue here. Neither SV or veterans from MO1 would not agreed with this. Its like "hey your footbal menager game is nice though you can add some basket there". I dont want to be rude or negative in any kind of way but simple there is no room and no point in debating about 3th person view. I hope you understand. Peace!

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020
6F99096C-9E6C-4396-AD11-1EE7717296EF.jpegWhat’s so wrong about taking a camera angle like this from Skyrim or mordhau and just “sucking it in” more. You can attach the camera to my characters ear for all I care, me and many others need the accessibility to see our weapons arc to know if we are missing due to range/desync/ or lag. If you attach the camera to the shoulder it would only increase my FOv to what a normal person should be able to see in their peripheral vision. Meaning if I’m still behind a bush then I can’t see past the bush. I’ll have to wait till someone hacks the game and adds triple monitor support so I can actually see someone next to my right arm. It’s just upsetting to see all my gaming communities that love playing hardcore pvp games like life is feudal, last oasis and games similar to combat like mount and blade shrugging this game off due to its camera.

did I enjoy the game preview we had? Yes, me and 4 friends enjoyed combat and the duels to, but the nauseating camera was to much. Game makes me wanna barf spinning Around while someone is circling me and jumping around to get out of my fov.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
View attachment 479What’s so wrong about taking a camera angle like this from Skyrim or mordhau and just “sucking it in” more. You can attach the camera to my characters ear for all I care, me and many others need the accessibility to see our weapons arc to know if we are missing due to range/desync/ or lag. If you attach the camera to the shoulder it would only increase my FOv to what a normal person should be able to see in their peripheral vision. Meaning if I’m still behind a bush then I can’t see past the bush. I’ll have to wait till someone hacks the game and adds triple monitor support so I can actually see someone next to my right arm. It’s just upsetting to see all my gaming communities that love playing hardcore pvp games like life is feudal, last oasis and games similar to combat like mount and blade shrugging this game off due to its camera.

did I enjoy the game preview we had? Yes, me and 4 friends enjoyed combat and the duels to, but the nauseating camera was to much. Game makes me wanna barf spinning Around while someone is circling me and jumping around to get out of my fov.
First person is the inner most core of this game everything around built the way it is because of it.

Its for that reason alone MO grips players like literally no other game can.

I know in your bias its hard to see how that tiny camera angle you so desire has no effect while the mountain before you says otherwise dwarfing you with all the problems that would arise if you simply opened that box.

I dont run over to Skyrim, LiF, LO or any of those games in an effort to ruin its direction by trying to influence the games to cave to my desire so please get away from literally the only forced FPV open world sandbox MMORPG with real time combat. We dont want to change and dont want to hear your praise of changing,

Simple as that.