Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Hello,

Wanted to share some thoughts on Mortal Online 2.

I see Mortal Online 2 is on track to be on life support similar to MO1. I actually feel the situation is even slightly worse than the first game.

The 24 hr peak at the time of writing is 1712 players. If we divide 1712 by 6 to represent the larger land mass we're at an approx MO 1 equivalent of 285 concurrent players I understand it isn't as simple as that as some of the landmass is not used at all but its useful as a crude measurement.

Nerds haven't been sieged out of the game yet. With TC on the horizon the high highs of winner takes all pvp will be matched with the low lows of losing everything. In the past this had a large effect on players willingness to stay in the game. I would expect to see some player decline after sieging

All of this is presub. We're at population level to land mass ratios similar to MO1 yet have not enabled subscription yet. Subscriptions will expose flaws in the 1 character and class design systems.

Overall I think game ded.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbuciorn and oykd

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Hello,

Wanted to share some thoughts on Mortal Online 2.

I see Mortal Online 2 is on track to be on life support similar to MO1. I actually feel the situation is even slightly worse than the first game.

The 24 hr peak at the time of writing is 1712 players. If we divide 1712 by 6 to reprsent the larger land mass we're at an approx MO 1 equivalent of 285 concurrent players I understand it isn't as simple as that as some of the landmass is not used at all but its useful as a crude measurement.

Nerds haven't been sieged out of the game yet. With TC on the horizon the high highs of winner takes all pvp will be matched with the low lows of losing everything. In the past this had a large effect on players willingness to stay in the game. I would expect to see some player decline after sieging

All of this is presub. We're at population level to land mass ratios similar to MO1 yet have not enabled subscription yet. Subscriptions will expose flaws in the 1 character and class design systems.

Overall I think game ded.

Thoughts?
I think the next few months will absolutely determine the future for the game. TC is what most everyone is waiting for to make the game interesting and give the gameplay loop other than farming materials. It just all depends on if Star Vault can pull it off. The upcoming melee abilities is another one.

I listened to the stream today for about 5 minutes. It was pretty annoying listening to Henrik finally, after all these years, admit the major flaws of MO1 in regards to TC that the playerbase continuously complained about. He says this time it will be better, but everytime I hear him talk now I just feel like he is lying to everyone's face. I think he has good intentions, but I've yet to see him be able to execute these plans of his in a way that makes me want to return to the game.

Lets hope I'm wrong about TC. When its working properly and the game isn't all about pets and AoE cone magic spam I'll consider playing again. As of now, I feel like the skill based combat I liked so much in MO1 is just non-existent in MO2.

IF TC goes well and some good balance changes happen though, SV will just fuck it all up with the Sarducca release...lets be honest.

EDIT: There are definitely people who are playing the game now and having a good time with just fighting each other every night. I think majority of those people are ones who didn't get to do that much, if at all, in MO1 though.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I think the next few months will absolutely determine the future for the game. TC is what most everyone is waiting for to make the game interesting and give the gameplay loop other than farming materials. It just all depends on if Star Vault can pull it off. The upcoming melee abilities is another one.

I listened to the stream today for about 5 minutes. It was pretty annoying listening to Henrik finally, after all these years, admit the major flaws of MO1 in regards to TC that the playerbase continuously complained about. He says this time it will be better, but everytime I hear him talk now I just feel like he is lying to everyone's face. I think he has good intentions, but I've yet to see him be able to execute these plans of his in a way that makes me want to return to the game.

Lets hope I'm wrong about TC. When its working properly and the game isn't all about pets and AoE cone magic spam I'll consider playing again. As of now, I feel like the skill based combat I liked so much in MO1 is just non-existent in MO2.

IF TC goes well and some good balance changes happen though, SV will just fuck it all up with the Sarducca release...lets be honest.

EDIT: There are definitely people who are playing the game now and having a good time with just fighting each other every night. I think majority of those people are ones who didn't get to do that much, if at all, in MO1 though.
Yep, tc will be absolutely critical. The problem like you said is the general rule for sv is getting things wrong.

Getting Henrik to admit faults is very difficult. Usually it’s with an agenda. Generally he has no problem saying mo1 was bad because it uses it to hype up mo2. What would be remarkable is if he mentioned something was bad in the sequel.

And yes the large scale combat meta right now has me begging to be one shot by a mounted sledgehammer.

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
Let’s be real here. TC is pretty irrelevant, it’s end game content for such a minority they may as well not exist. MMOS live and die on the participation of pve, casual and light PvP players. The elite vets that Henrik hopes will carry this game are more a hindrance to the game then anything else.

It’s a bs dream, MO2 is a shiftier version of MO1 with pretty graphics.

Starvault goes out of business the day subscriptions are turned on. It’s basically D-day for MO2 but they are the Germans. A month or two demanding 15 bucks a month and MO2 will be lucky to have 100-200 players willing to pay. It will be a ghost towns and everyone who knows anything about this game knows that.

Objective truth can be painful to swallow but this is just the reality where this game is at. At 50% discount on steam with no subscription this game can retain a curious population but it’s not even remotely close to being able to demand a subscription. They are 2-3 years away from being ready for a beta right now by modern standards.

MO2 is not even a functioning alpha.

It sucks but it’s true and only wishful dreamers think otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnidex

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Its the same people playing as MO1. the same guilds. come TC, the same nutcup alliances will control everything with a revolving door of new players that try the game, like it, but get greefed into quitting because vets are too afraid of fighting each other.

Same story as MO1. Will follow same population cycles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbuciorn

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Let’s be real here. TC is pretty irrelevant, it’s end game content for such a minority they may as well not exist. MMOS live and die on the participation of pve, casual and light PvP players. The elite vets that Henrik hopes will carry this game are more a hindrance to the game then anything else.

Starvault goes out of business the day subscriptions are turned on. It’s basically D-day for MO2 but they are the Germans. A month or two demanding 15 bucks a month and MO2 will be lucky to have 100-200 players willing to pay. It will be a ghost towns and everyone who knows anything about this game knows that.

Objective truth can be painful to swallow but this is just the reality where this game is at. At 50% discount on steam with no subscription this game can retain a curious population but it’s not even remotely close to being able to demand a subscription. They are 2-3 years away from being ready for a beta right now by modern standards.

Tc being the main end game system gives meaning to every other system. Your vast wealth has meaning, the sinews of war are endless money. The same can be said of your pvp char when the survival of your clan can live and die on your performance in this one battle. The same can be said for every other mechanic

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Its the same people playing as MO1. the same guilds. come TC, the same nutcup alliances will control everything with a revolving door of new players that try the game, like it, but get greefed into quitting because vets are too afraid of fighting each other.

Same story as MO1. Will follow same population cycles.
Somewhat. I think it’s a mix. There are plenty of new guilds and players. There aren’t going to be any new guilds on the scene that we haven’t seen already since launch though.

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021

Well put. One step into any town and the game just screams pre alpha at you. The only npcs are stationary interactables or aimlessly wandering or stationary guards that function as auto-kill turrets. The fact that they charge for something as underdeveloped as this is an insult, but they actually plan to make you sub as well. It’s amazing.

You leave town and all you get are bugged wildlife and the occasional poi asset that looks completely out-of-place within the game world. If you’re lucky, you’ll have a grammatically incoherent note and a chest with 1 silver in it.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Well put. One step into any town and the game just screams pre alpha at you. The only npcs are stationary interactables or aimlessly wandering or stationary guards that function as auto-kill turrets. The fact that they charge for something as underdeveloped as this is an insult, but they actually plan to make you sub as well. It’s amazing.

You leave town and all you get are bugged wildlife and the occasional poi asset that looks completely out-of-place within the game world. If you’re lucky, you’ll have a grammatically incoherent note and a chest with 1 silver in it.
That was a little bit too much truth.

Thanks for putting in your 1s

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
Tc being the main end game system gives meaning to every other system. Your vast wealth has meaning, the sinews of war are endless money. The same can be said of your pvp char when the survival of your clan can live and die on your performance in this one battle. The same can be said for every other mechanic
That would be relevant if the games early and mid games had some semblance of order but MO2 right now is a series of incomplete, half baked or untested mechanics. Creating an end game utility when the game doesn’t have any fully functioning or even remotely balanced system is a bit like creating the Olympics while your still trying to figure out the rules of the individual sports. I get the vision part of it, but they aren’t working on the vision, they are doing an implementation.

I don’t have anything against it per say, it’s just super premature and considering the state of the game which I would describe as very early alpha at absolute best, it’s clearly a waste of resources to be putting so much effort into it. The game is already in its final death throws because it can’t retain players past the first couple of weeks, why bother creating content for what happens when a large population of players have reached the 6-7 month mark? You are never going to get there!

I really loved Mortal Online 1 but it too was mostly a vision game, even 5 years into it, it was effectively a very rough beta test. Starvault seems to lack a clear vision of what constitutes a complete feature or element of the game. Everything is always half finished and their focus is completely disconnected from the needs of the game and community.

They are working on TC, meanwhile we have pigs floating in the sky and PVP rules are still in the design stage of this PVP game. They really need to sort out their priorities.

I guess the point here is that there are countless core and fundamental design and implementation problems, far too many to list, that need to be resolved before this game is ready for subscription fee’s. A one time purchase at a discount was worth it to have a peek at how development is going, just out of pure curiosity but right now Mortal Online 2 isn’t a game yet. The reality of the game compared to the vision is a million miles removed with countless milestones yet to be achieved before you can start asking people for money beyond treating it as a pre-release project.

I don’t know if Starvault is fully aware of this, they might be too close to the project, perhaps it’s too personal as these guys have been living and breathing it for so long but they really need to take a more sober look at where they really are today with MO2 and consider a plan that is more grounded.

If you watch any of the first time play through on YouTube it’s quite clear that a new player gets completely insufficient amount of information about how to even play the game. You might start there and consider what understanding new players have when they create characters, when they enter the game for the first time, what the game teaches them about skills and skill books and stuff like that before you try to sell them on TC and other end game content.

Last edited:

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
Just for the record as a follow up, I know I sound negative and it may even seem like I’m dumping on the game, but I do share the hope that in the end, MO2 ends up being a good and successful game.

It’s just very clear to me at this point it’s not on the right track, and with only a minor refocus of priorities and some compromise, MO2 could be a worthwhile game to invest time in.

At this point however, it’s so incomplete, I don’t think it’s even fair to review it yet.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Just for the record as a follow up, I know I sound negative and it may even seem like I’m dumping on the game, but I do share the hope that in the end, MO2 ends up being a good and successful game.
Yeah, that's most of us I'd say. The game has always been teetering between good and bad for a decade. SV has kinda perfected that.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The game needs a functioning living, breathing world that has a mind of its own so that players feel like they are not the center of the universe.

The TC players need to feel like there is something greater than another guild that wants to take down their keep or palisade. The world itself needs to have its own plans and change on its own.

Wildlife needs to migrate, new creatures need to appear, different variations of beasts, seasonal effects on the world, natural disasters strike the innocent and criminal alike.

When you have a static and 'still' world, that's when it becomes boring, predictable, stale and people start leaving. PvP and full looting can only do so much before it becomes Quake death match but on an mmorpg scale.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
That would be relevant if the games early and mid games had some semblance of order but MO2 right now is a series of incomplete, half baked or untested mechanics. Creating an end game utility when the game doesn’t have any fully functioning or even remotely balanced system is a bit like creating the Olympics while your still trying to figure out the rules of the individual sports. I get the vision part of it, but they aren’t working on the vision, they are doing an implementation.

I don’t have anything against it per say, it’s just super premature and considering the state of the game which I would describe as very early alpha at absolute best, it’s clearly a waste of resources to be putting so much effort into it. The game is already in its final death throws because it can’t retain players past the first couple of weeks, why bother creating content for what happens when a large population of players have reached the 6-7 month mark? You are never going to get there!

I really loved Mortal Online 1 but it too was mostly a vision game, even 5 years into it, it was effectively a very rough beta test. Starvault seems to lack a clear vision of what constitutes a complete feature or element of the game. Everything is always half finished and their focus is completely disconnected from the needs of the game and community.

They are working on TC, meanwhile we have pigs floating in the sky and PVP rules are still in the design stage of this PVP game. They really need to sort out their priorities.

I guess the point here is that there are countless core and fundamental design and implementation problems, far too many to list, that need to be resolved before this game is ready for subscription fee’s. A one time purchase at a discount was worth it to have a peek at how development is going, just out of pure curiosity but right now Mortal Online 2 isn’t a game yet. The reality of the game compared to the vision is a million miles removed with countless milestones yet to be achieved before you can start asking people for money beyond treating it as a pre-release project.

I don’t know if Starvault is fully aware of this, they might be too close to the project, perhaps it’s too personal as these guys have been living and breathing it for so long but they really need to take a more sober look at where they really are today with MO2 and consider a plan that is more grounded.

If you watch any of the first time play through on YouTube it’s quite clear that a new player gets completely insufficient amount of information about how to even play the game. You might start there and consider what understanding new players have when they create characters, when they enter the game for the first time, what the game teaches them about skills and skill books and stuff like that before you try to sell them on TC and other end game content.
I don’t think any person disagrees that the game is in a trash state polish and production quality wise.
The game needs a functioning living, breathing world that has a mind of its own so that players feel like they are not the center of the universe.

The TC players need to feel like there is something greater than another guild that wants to take down their keep or palisade. The world itself needs to have its own plans and change on its own.

Wildlife needs to migrate, new creatures need to appear, different variations of beasts, seasonal effects on the world, natural disasters strike the innocent and criminal alike.

When you have a static and 'still' world, that's when it becomes boring, predictable, stale and people start leaving. PvP and full looting can only do so much before it becomes Quake death match but on an mmorpg scale.
the problem is triple a companies can’t make a game of this scale and have it function as a total real world simulation and also have mmorpg networking. Sv does this through a series of bandaids and smoke and mirrors. They also have to client side the majority of the game. The point being what’s required is way beyond the technical possibilities available and sv isn’t going to be the one that solves these issues. The world has to be static and still to actually run.

manure

May 7, 2022
The game is not dead.
This game will only die if another game that offers full loot and no guards outside towns arises.

Until then, MO2 keeps the title of the best game in the market.
But theres absolutely NO DISCUSSION about it.

And as soon as they implement thieving, its gonna be tough for another game to become better.

I cant wait for this boring Siege TC stuff to finish so that they can focus on releasing thieving at last...
Ive been waiting almost 2 years for that. Argh
I think there may be only one person who might be waiting for this longer than me... Lashaniqua is her name, or something like that !

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
The game is not dead.
This game will only die if another game that offers full loot and no guards outside towns arises.

Until then, MO2 keeps the title of the best game in the market.
But theres absolutely NO DISCUSSION about it.

And as soon as they implement thieving, its gonna be tough for another game to become better.

I cant wait for this boring Siege TC stuff to finish so that they can focus on releasing thieving at last...
Ive been waiting almost 2 years for that. Argh
I think there may be only one person who might be waiting for this longer than me... Lashaniqua is her name, or something like that !
I wouldn’t hold my breath for thieving, it was a nuisance in MO1 and for the half a dozen naked thieves that existed on the server there was a decade of complaining about it. It probably cost them a couple million dollars in Revenue in lost customers with its existence.

A game is dead when the servers shutdown, until then it’s alive, but their is no question it’s currently on life support. Something needs to change, if the population doesn’t increase, it may as well be dead.

manure

May 7, 2022
I wouldn’t hold my breath for thieving, it was a nuisance in MO1 and for the half a dozen naked thieves that existed on the server there was a decade of complaining about it. It probably cost them a couple million dollars in Revenue in lost customers with its existence.
Hahahaha... You may be right about the "years of complaining about it", but I still think this game needs something to enhance the excitement.
Thievery certainly will provide excitement.
And an exciting game brings more players, thus more copies sold !

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
I wouldn’t call it exciting, it’s a purely one directional mechanic, meaning the thief has nothing to loose and little to gain, at least as it was in MO1.

Never bothered me, just never really understood the attraction given it was difficult to level up and the end game was earning about as much as you could get from farming a graveyard for 10 minutes.

It was primarily a grief system by design. Aka effectively an a-hole simulator. It added nothing positive to the game, it was as I said, just a nuisance.

• Haha
Reactions: CherryKush

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Lashaniqua is her name, or something like that !
When thievery comes, everyone will fear her name, especially in town. She stole from me once back in MO1 while I was logging out, and once when I just logged in but didn't have anything on me. She even complained that I didn't have something for her to steal.

The other master thief everyone knows (or will know) is Gray Fox.

Oh, and these two are also known for their ability to sneak into fortified keeps and inflict maximum damage, no matter how tight the security or defences are.

Reactions: CherryKush