Pings effect on melee combat. VIDEO linked.

Snasen

May 28, 2020
Hello!

All the information is in this video, but feel free to comment your thoughts in this thread.
Hope you have time to check out my video! :D

Edit: I put the example of ping normalization towards 150 ping as I feel like the requirement of reaction time for the current 75 ping players sounds like a good place to be considering the current difficulty of parrying.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Interesting comparison. Actually I would have expected that there is already some kind of normalization in place.

Can someone from US confirm that they don't have enough time to switch directions when they notice that they block the wrong one?

Reactions: Snasen

Snasen

May 28, 2020
Interesting comparison. Actually I would have expected that there is already some kind of normalization in place.

Can someone from US confirm that they don't have enough time to switch directions when they notice that they block the wrong one?
I am pretty sure there is no normalization towards parrying in place yet, as the gap in reaction time required is identical to the gap in ping.

Also just to add on your second sentence to make sure! What I mean by EU being able to block twice, I mean it as in being able to react to a swing twice when you first recognize the direction of it. Everyone can guess a block pre-emptively then react on the swing which can easily be mistaken for "reacting twice".

Reactions: ZVNII

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Excellent video. I can't comment one way or another, but your idea for parry normalization sounds like it works. Even if it wouldn't, the detailed information you have in this video should definitely help inform players and Devs about what is going on in game.

Thank you for the effort and for posting!

ZVNII

Jun 17, 2021
High quality research. i expected nothing less! Thanks! Hope this helps the devs.

• Love
Reactions: Snasen

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Wow excellent Video and very detailed research and time put into this video it's great to see members of the community that have the passion, knowledge and expertise to put together Constructive criticism and numbers the devs can use Snasen you're a beast! thank you for your contribution! 😄

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Great work on this!
But i hope SV dosent try to fix this issue before launch because i get the feeling this ping normalisation system is a bit sensitive and trying to implement more stuff in that one might break stuff and cause funky stuff to happen.

Another server in West coast NA would make life better for North and south america, austraila, new zeeland etc.

Reactions: AlexanderDeLarge

Dastardly

May 29, 2020
I can confirm as a NA we are unable to typically correct for our mistaken parry direction. It's still manageable but I believe the suggested parry normalization changes or maybe a slight delay between parrys would sort it out.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I see videos from EU player being able to block wrong and correct it. While I as a higher pinged NA player can not correct if I parry in the wrong direction. Even if I instantly fix the parry its just too short for the parry to stop it.

Reactions: Teknique

Chef

Sep 17, 2021

This is a solution in search of a problem. Most people are on an even playing field with negligible perceived ping differences. Trying to get SV to backpedal and investigate these small issues are a waste of time and will further unnecessarily delay launch.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
This is a solution in search of a problem. Most people are on an even playing field with negligible perceived ping differences. Trying to get SV to backpedal and investigate these small issues are a waste of time and will further unnecessarily delay launch.

Try watching the video then telling that to an Aussie player that is supposed to be competitive in the eyes of the developers.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Henrik
12/30/2020

"150 ping can’t make a diff though with our system"

Henrik
03/25/2021

"lets not start the ping debate in here, not the place and time"

there is alot to do, with the movement too.

Reactions: night_vision_elf

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Bro pretty much both EU and NA agree that there is a issue. Its the consensus of the community that parries have a problem evolved with high pings vs lower.
Can the NA player win, yes but they cant makes mistakes while their opponents can. And if a player feints and I parry the feint then I sometimes wont have the time to change my parry to the swing they switched to even tho I reacted before they swing on my screen. Its absolutely a issue that is holding back the game.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
Hello!

All the information is in this video, but feel free to comment your thoughts in this thread.
Hope you have time to check out my video! :D

Edit: I put the example of ping normalization towards 150 ping as I feel like the requirement of reaction time for the current 75 ping players sounds like a good place to be considering the current difficulty of parrying.

thanks for this, people keep screeching "get better" but you dont just get better when there is this much of a difference

Reactions: night_vision_elf

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
Its the consensus of the community
Bro pretty much both EU and NA agree that there is a issue. Its the consensus of the community that parries have a problem evolved with high pings vs lower.
Can the NA player win, yes but they cant makes mistakes while their opponents can. And if a player feints and I parry the feint then I sometimes wont have the time to change my parry to the swing they switched to even tho I reacted before they swing on my screen. Its absolutely a issue that is holding back the game.
this is very true. We need a NA west coast server.

Reactions: AssassinOTL