Pings effect on melee combat. VIDEO linked.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Thanks a lot for this video. As a NA player, I've noticed the delay as well, and it's bad for any action-combat game to have latency issues - more so in a MMORPG where I can potentially lose hours of progress because a EU player has better ping. I feel like I'm forced to play a mage or archer, when I'd like to use melee as well.

I know the devs really want there to be one global server, but honestly why is it so bad to give NA (or even Australia) our own servers? I'm a *potential* monthly customer, so why aren't my needs for a minimal-latency gaming experience being considered over the devs' desire for one mega-server?

This game is amazing, but I'm having trouble justifying paying to play every month where I'm at a disadvantage...

I prefer the idea of one world server. It does protect against pop issues the game "could" have, to a degree. It's also a nice change of pace as well to be able to play with people from all walks of life which you don't tend to see anymore in online games due to everything being regionally divided.

End of the day, the solution isn't to just throw the one world server idea out the window. At face value, it has merit. However, the technology that surrounds it and allows us to all play competitively needs to be extremely well implemented and to be honest, it's almost there. Hopefully SV delivers and we can explore this parry normalisation approach over the next few months prior to launch.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
You are using youtube stats whereas Henrik has the hard numbers himself. I think we both know who to trust more.
I trust more the numbers I have, than a vague statement of Henrik (that I did not hear myself).
As I said, 51% is also a majority.

My numbers are from 40k+ viewers. So I would say that they are pretty representive about who is interested in MO2 PVP.

Reactions: Rikart
Sep 11, 2021
I prefer the idea of one world server. It does protect against pop issues the game "could" have, to a degree. It's also a nice change of pace as well to be able to play with people from all walks of life which you don't tend to see anymore in online games due to everything being regionally divided.

End of the day, the solution isn't to just throw the one world server idea out the window. At face value, it has merit. However, the technology that surrounds it and allows us to all play competitively needs to be extremely well implemented and to be honest, it's almost there. Hopefully SV delivers and we can explore this parry normalisation approach over the next few months prior to launch.

A one-world server would be ideal, of course. and I agree it's amazing what SV has already achieved in that regard, but if they can't get things equalized then players in other regions need to be provided with our own servers. I've already seen multiple people say they won't play unless they have a North American server. I'm not that obstinate, I'd be willing to play with higher ping as long as it's equalized for everyone - but it's too hard a sale without equalization or my own regional server.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I can practice and get to where I can be successful sometimes against non new Europeans, I am ok with that, mostly, because I know that the game rarely comes down to a straight up 1v1 that starts and is held on equal footing.
The only time it really gets annoying is when Europeans get the big head and start calling people trash even though they have twice as long to parry, etc.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I have EU players in the same guild as me that play for 10 hours a day. They play through EU prime time to NA prime time and say that NA has more players right now.
Its always been clear to see that there were more NA in game then EU if you play though both time zones. NA has slightly more players even with many NA players refusing to play because its a "EU" server.

Im not for multiple servers, they need parry nomilization and a centralized location for the server like NA east so a third of the player base doesnt have ping of 160+.

The server cost is around 16-17k yearly from what Henrik mentioned long ago. The 8k subs is to keep the same level of development we are getting now. If you want to get content/patches every other week then they need 8k subs. 16-17k for the server was a very good deal btw.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I have EU players in the same guild as me that play for 10 hours a day. They play through EU prime time to NA prime time and say that NA has more players right now.
Its always been clear to see that there were more NA in game then EU if you play though both time zones. NA has slightly more players even with many NA players refusing to play because its a "EU" server.

Im not for multiple servers, they need parry nomilization and a centralized location for the server like NA east so a third of the player base doesnt have ping of 160+.

The server cost is around 16-17k yearly from what Henrik mentioned long ago. The 8k subs is to keep the same level of development we are getting now. If you want to get content/patches every other week then they need 8k subs. 16-17k for the server was a very good deal btw.
I hope they can get the 8k subs or even much much more.

Reactions: Rorry

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
The solution isnt an NA server. That still just screws the rest of the player base that isnt NA. The solution is to make it as fair for everyone as possible.

Until then everyone use MA, pets and magic, they are better anyway.

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
The netcode is just bad in this game. With high ping it will appear like you're getting hit from 5 meters away. Most of americans get screwed over except for those living in the north eastern US. I'm in Arizona and the ping is 166. Don't know why henrik lies about ping not making a difference when the difference is worse than practically any other game.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Don't know why henrik lies about ping not making a difference when the difference is worse than practically any other game.
That's exaggerated. SV did quite a few things to make it better playable for high ping. It's also one of the reasons why the combat system is that slow.

Reactions: Rikart

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
That's exaggerated. SV did quite a few things to make it better playable for high ping. It's also one of the reasons why the combat system is that slow.

Making the combat "slow" is not a real solution to their bad netcode. Henrik stated that normalization was in place already when it clearly isn't (at least not functioning properly). There is really bad desync too, reminds me of MO1 days!

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Making the combat "slow" is not a real solution to their bad netcode. Henrik stated that normalization was in place already when it clearly isn't (at least not functioning properly). There is really bad desync too, reminds me of MO1 days!
Do you mean netcode or latenacy? If you have 160 ping v 40 ping as the issue thats not netcode. If you are having issue with 40 v 40 ping that is a netcode issue.
Not much they can do but make the windows wider if that want a one world server. Netcode can only slow down your ping not make it physically faster.

There are issuse with higher ping players but its not unplayable. You can be competive. You probably lost due to skill before ping is even envolved.
Need ping normalization and to centralize the serves when they can in the future.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
You are using youtube stats whereas Henrik has the hard numbers himself. I think we both know who to trust more.
The old "Henrik said argument" I seem to recall he said the numbers were about even. The only way we might get a NA server would be if the game is wildly successful well beyond all expectations.

I just hope the steam reviews don't kill potential new players from trying the game.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Observational bias.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
I just hope the steam reviews don't kill potential new players from trying the game.
They won't, at least in the near-ish term. By having the game unreleased on Steam and having potential players go through MO's website to donate to receive a copy of the game, the Steam review system gets to be disabled so no negative reviews can get posted. A good move for Henrik would be to do some sort of "soft release" to get as many players in as possible before the game is officially released via Steam, of which the numerous trolls and review griefers would start pouring, potentially scaring off some new players.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Observational bias.
Multiple EU and NA and AUS players who play mulitple times zone having the same bias is to far streched. How about you counter the point made instead of dodge it by claiming fallacy which its self is the only fallacy going on around here.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Multiple EU and NA and AUS players who play mulitple times zone having the same bias is to far streched. How about you counter the point made instead of dodge it by claiming fallacy which its self is the only fallacy going on around here.
A circular argument fallacy? Really? Listen. There is no point to be countered if all your "evidence" is a fallacy. It would be fruitless to go off of misconceived notions.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
They won't, at least in the near-ish term. By having the game unreleased on Steam and having potential players go through MO's website to donate to receive a copy of the game, the Steam review system gets to be disabled so no negative reviews can get posted. A good move for Henrik would be to do some sort of "soft release" to get as many players in as possible before the game is officially released via Steam, of which the numerous trolls and review griefers would start pouring, potentially scaring off some new players.
EA was supposed to be soft release.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
EA was supposed to be soft release.
Wrong, if by EA you are referring to the Alpha and Beta. Right now we are helping Henrik test his game in preparation for a release. That is why keys are both limited and only obtained via a donation rather than a purchase. We donated to have the opportunity to help test the game. We did not purchase with the intent to receive a product to do as we will with it.

A proper soft release would consist of the purchase of the game and more likely than not the beginning of the $15/mo sub fee.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Wrong, if by EA you are referring to the Alpha and Beta. Right now we are helping Henrik test his game in preparation for a release. That is why keys are both limited and only obtained via a donation rather than a purchase. We donated to have the opportunity to help test the game. We did not purchase with the intent to receive a product to do as we will with it.

A proper soft release would consist of the purchase of the game and more likely than not the beginning of the $15/mo sub fee.
I'm not wrong on this.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
I don't think its about not being able to afford it.
SV says that having 1 world server is one of the core pillars of MO.
core pillars that drive anyone who isnt willing to get face rolled everytime they 1v1 EU. If the game is "skill based" then there needs to be another server. The pillars are just scapegoats