Mounted Archer is the strongest build in the game right?

Armegeddon

Nov 8, 2020
lets hope to God SV doesnt implement breeding again and let people breed super mounts. Low HP horses are the only thing keeping MAs from owning everything.
That's coming.. Though do you remember 90 speed Bull Horses? Mounted Melee was apex. Bull horses could knock down, dismount, two shot with a maul to the head. Knockdown resistance is in the game as a trainable skill for a reason. We'll see if they bring Bull Horses back.

Legion

Feb 1, 2022
MA is the Top dog because of mobility but its very easy atm to kill a horse with spells if your a mage and once he hits the ground you can sticky back him easy......If you think MA are strong now your in for a world of hurt when breeding comes in and horses are hella hard to kill.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
IMO MA not as OP as people make it sound. Thing about MA is ya it seems strong because it hard counters a lot more builds than most other builds on top of have no real hard counter themselves. But simple having a bow your self or magic is enough to stop a MA from killing you in a 1v1.

The issue is most MA players know this an will simply just run away from these players, thus just having a bow or spells may detur MA from commenting to a fight against you it doesn't mean you'll kill them.

But I think everyone's biggest issue is MA just killing your horse or other pets than running away. My self being a pet tamer I agree this is extremely annoying, but this issue could all change when beast mastery is implemented to the game an pets can use charge skills that can dismount players they hit, like how it was in MO1.

However I will say MA should be easier to dismount an a injuried mount should have its movement speed reduced once its hp is below 50% IMO.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
IMO MA not as OP as people make it sound. Thing about MA is ya it seems strong because it hard counters a lot more builds than most other builds on top of have no real hard counter themselves. But simple having a bow your self or magic is enough to stop a MA from killing you in a 1v1.

The issue is most MA players know this an will simply just run away from these players, thus just having a bow or spells may detur MA from commenting to a fight against you it doesn't mean you'll kill them.

But I think everyone's biggest issue is MA just killing your horse or other pets than running away. My self being a pet tamer I agree this is extremely annoying, but this issue could all change when beast mastery is implemented to the game an pets can use charge skills that can dismount players they hit, like how it was in MO1.

However I will say MA should be easier to dismount an a injuried mount should have its movement speed reduced once its hp is below 50% IMO.
Both hands are occupied with the bow. any time your in an action that leaves your hands busy you should be easier to dehorse. This should include spell casting and swings that uses both hands. Would be good for balance.

percept

Feb 2, 2022
Go use mortaldata.com and click the Workbench
I've been told bow damage is based off of the bows str req value and the distance value. No idea how those interact with eachother to get to the final damage value. Perhaps you know?

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022
One thing is...They definately easy targets for mah longbow shots on their horse. 130dmg a pop XD

Get them to half health and they...poof! They just run away weird.

CountingWizard

Jan 21, 2022
Lol... you're not talking about wars which rarely happen? Yeah... I would assume wars would be pretty fuckin rare when the game has only been out for 2 weeks and not more than 20% of the playerbase can get in. But sure....

I'm going to assume you got your ass handed to you by an MA and now you think it's the most elite role?

I think you need to actually play the game before making posts like this. My MA has been destroyed by a single dex mage on foot. I've also destroyed in the same situation. You'll come to realize that your environment and surrounding take a bigger role than you think.

So no.. you most definitely don't need a bow to kill a bow - couldn't be more further from the truth.

Quoted for truth. Always always always consider your terrain first, and where you can fight to get the most advantage. Don't run out into the open if you are fighting mounted archers, hide behind trees and rocks. Make them have to get close to you and kill their horse. Frequently if they are in the same guild they can take friendly fire. If you are melee and fighting against missiles/magic, a hill, ditch, or landscape contour can block their line of sight for the same purpose. If you can, try to choose where you will be fighting.

I've also found it useful to attack the horses of pkers who may be fighting on foot. It's way more punishing for them to have to walk all the way back to where they came from. They will typically try to hop back on them and take them out of range, giving you critical time to escape or heal/meditate so that you're in a better position for combat. That being said, horses are for travel and getting lay of the land. For thorough exploration and on-foot activities, hide your horse in a bush or culvert/etc and go wandering on foot.

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022
Quoted for truth. Always always always consider your terrain first, and where you can fight to get the most advantage. Don't run out into the open if you are fighting mounted archers, hide behind trees and rocks. Make them have to get close to you and kill their horse. Frequently if they are in the same guild they can take friendly fire. If you are melee and fighting against missiles/magic, a hill, ditch, or landscape contour can block their line of sight for the same purpose. If you can, try to choose where you will be fighting.

I've also found it useful to attack the horses of pkers who may be fighting on foot. It's way more punishing for them to have to walk all the way back to where they came from. They will typically try to hop back on them and take them out of range, giving you critical time to escape or heal/meditate so that you're in a better position for combat. That being said, horses are for travel and getting lay of the land. For thorough exploration and on-foot activities, hide your horse in a bush or culvert/etc and go wandering on foot.

If i know im gonna die..i try to kill someones horse..i get the last laugh

Arinna

Mar 25, 2021
While MA is a very strong class its by no means OP. There are several things you can do as a mage even just a dex mage. As someone who plays both here's my advice to you if you are on a dex mage and fighting an MA.

(If you're mounted skip step 1)
First thing you need to do is use terrain to your advantage. I can't tell you how many times I come across someone who gets dismounted and then runs in a straight line into a field panicked thinking they can get away.

Once you've gotten an idea of your terrain and found a good spot where you can constantly line of sight the MA or if you are a mounted mage fighting an MA you need to cast corrupt on the MA. Corrupt ticks make the MA lose their aim capability entirely. So keep the MA corrupted and they can't shoot you.

The final thing you need to do is DPS the MA's mount, its a huge target and if you start ticking down it's health the MA will peel off.

Hope this helps with your troubles fighting the MAs.

p.s. Any MA using an asym bow for pvp is an MA that doesn't know how to pvp and you should ignore their advice.

Edit: Keep in mind if you stay on the right side of the MA they can't even target you, so mounted mage has the advantage in that scenario.

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022
While MA is a very strong class its by no means OP. There are several things you can do as a mage even just a dex mage. As someone who plays both here's my advice to you if you are on a dex mage and fighting an MA.

(If you're mounted skip step 1)
First thing you need to do is use terrain to your advantage. I can't tell you how many times I come across someone who gets dismounted and then runs in a straight line into a field panicked thinking they can get away.

Once you've gotten an idea of your terrain and found a good spot where you can constantly line of sight the MA or if you are a mounted mage fighting an MA you need to cast corrupt on the MA. Corrupt ticks make the MA lose their aim capability entirely. So keep the MA corrupted and they can't shoot you.

The final thing you need to do is DPS the MA's mount, its a huge target and if you start ticking down it's health the MA will peel off.

Hope this helps with your troubles fighting the MAs.

p.s. Any MA using an asym bow for pvp is an MA that doesn't know how to pvp and you should ignore their advice.

Edit: Keep in mind if you stay on the right side of the MA they can't even target you, so mounted mage has the advantage in that scenario.

This... as a max str/bow alt weapon i can kill a horse ridiculously fast (imo horses should be a bit tougher) with longbow shots. I just ignore the player and LoS them

They usually run when their horse hits below 50%

Reactions: Arinna

Arinna

Mar 25, 2021

You can shoot a shortbow twice in the time that you can shoot an asym, this is important for several reasons.

When plate armor becomes common you have a better chance at landing headshots with getting more shots off. The range on the asym might be better but at range your likelyhood of landing headshots gets so low that its not worth the increased range against plate. This part is not very important because come blunt heads you'll hit for solid dmg even through plate armor.

Its common to attach a positive connotation to a positive outcome even if its a rare outcome or an outcome thats slightly more difficult to achieve than another. In this case seeing big damage on one shot over slightly lower damage over two shots in the same time. In a pvp situation if you're able to create more chances to dish out dmg faster you'll have a solid advantage.

If you find yourself facing a player you aren't doing good damage on just pull out of the fight, there's nothing wrong with knowing when you're outgeared. Best way to do that is kite and shoot their mount as you pull away you'll have the advantage since their horse's head will be facing your bow.

Your range to str requirement on a bow is maximized with a dense crepite/dense crepite bow short recurve bow. You can't get that kind of efficiency on an asym.

TLDR
I always recommend asym for pve because of the higher dura and because its easy to be consitent with landing hits in pve, in a pvp situation you can't count on consitency, so its safer to have 2 chances at landing half dmg twice than it is to risk missing 1 shot for full dmg. If you aren't doing enough damage it's okay to know when to pull out of a fight.

SirTexasSir

Jan 29, 2022
Texas
I think the problem is more the griefing they do. They blow by you and kill your horse and than not fight and just leave. I been watching streamers get Snipped by MA's over and over and all they do is kill the horse and run off. There is no penalty for killing some ones horse and just running off.

So for those that say just use a bow, well Mages don't use bows and by time he's taken down your horse he's gone and out of range for most spells. Same with any other class, kill the horse and run needs to have some punishment. Maybe count them as .25 kill so that if you kill 4 horses it counts as one player kill. That will tone down the horse killing griefing some folks are doing.

Reactions: Slarti Bartfast

Arinna

Mar 25, 2021
I think the problem is more the griefing they do. They blow by you and kill your horse and than not fight and just leave. I been watching streamers get Snipped by MA's over and over and all they do is kill the horse and run off. There is no penalty for killing some ones horse and just running off.

So for those that say just use a bow, well Mages don't use bows and by time he's taken down your horse he's gone and out of range for most spells. Same with any other class, kill the horse and run needs to have some punishment. Maybe count them as .25 kill so that if you kill 4 horses it counts as one player kill. That will tone down the horse killing griefing some folks are doing.

If you're a mounted mage you should always be traveling with a charged spell (corrupt). ALWAYS. Does an MA travel with a no arrows equiped? Does a footfighter run into a duel without a weapon in their hands? Saying that its griefing to have your mount killed because you weren't prepared to defend yourself in an open world with full loot pvp is just complaining about being inconvenienced for your own mistake. I never travel on my mage without having corrupt charged at all times. (yes, that means constantly recharging) It's part of your character build as a mage learn to play the build and I promise you'll do fine.

p.s. If you're complaining about getting griefed while streaming then try streaming with a delay until you're comfortable enough in pvp to fight back. I don't see why one should feel entitled to stream and have mechanics catered to their ability to stream rather than to adjust their streaming habits to the game.

TheHeretic

Jun 1, 2020
MK\Bakti\JC
All build and characters is storng rn, cuz more of people who can kill you cant play. Much of peole who can play is carebears

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
All build and characters is storng rn, cuz more of people who can kill you cant play. Much of peole who can play is carebears
Idk about this, I've seen a lot of Legion PVPing around Vadda, and Koto PVPing around Meduli.

oykd

Nov 26, 2020
not quite most MAs you see out there are half MAs and full footfigthers MAvsFoot foot will win no matter what unless foot isnt moving or jumping or shooting arrows