Mounted Archer is the strongest build in the game right?

percept

Feb 2, 2022
I'm not talking about "wars" which rarely happen and what almost nobody actually participates in.

Open world pvp MA seems like the top dog and the power difference doesn't even seem close.

It seems like you need a bow to kill a bow. Melee dies and magic dies.

The power disparity is demotivating tbh

m4rt3

Dec 10, 2021
I'm not talking about "wars" which rarely happen and what almost nobody actually participates in.

Open world pvp MA seems like the top dog and the power difference doesn't even seem close.

Lol... you're not talking about wars which rarely happen? Yeah... I would assume wars would be pretty fuckin rare when the game has only been out for 2 weeks and not more than 20% of the playerbase can get in. But sure....

I'm going to assume you got your ass handed to you by an MA and now you think it's the most elite role?

I think you need to actually play the game before making posts like this. My MA has been destroyed by a single dex mage on foot. I've also destroyed in the same situation. You'll come to realize that your environment and surrounding take a bigger role than you think.

So no.. you most definitely don't need a bow to kill a bow - couldn't be more further from the truth.

Feb 4, 2022
San Diego, CA

I don't understand why so many people believe mounted archers are so strong when horses are so easily killed. If you just carry a recurve shortbow, you don't actually need that many shots to kill a horse and then archers on foot are fairly vulnerable.

Reactions: EZgold
Top dog would likely be a mounted melee using spears that break after a few hits. Very costly, but very effective. Mounted archers are certainly the most flexible at PvE and dealing with mounted/foot mages though, they do have that going for them.
Plenty possible to drive off a MA with magic, much easier to take their horse out from under them with a longbow. Game unfortunately doesn't let you throw your greatblade at other players so you can cross that off the list of options, not that it's remotely a good idea in the first place.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
MA is the easiest and most survivable build for solo play. The main advantage is that you can choose pretty much any engagement, except against other MAs. You pretty much always have the choice to just run away and people cant run from you.

however, against heavy armoured, bow wielding opponents, an MA will have to run away or end up losing his horse and most likely his life. A long bow is your best friend against an MA. Its just that currently not many people run around in steel armour yet. This will change and MAs will not have it so easy then.

Reactions: EZgold

poorconsumer

Feb 8, 2022
oghmir 123 str mounted archer is the king of the open world. kill any mob, move quickly, wear heavy armor with no impediment. high health pool, super easily pointed. very cheap weapons. massive insane utility and durability. the class is straight busted 1vX or small team

percept

Feb 2, 2022
MA is the easiest and most survivable build for solo play. The main advantage is that you can choose pretty much any engagement, except against other MAs. You pretty much always have the choice to just run away and people cant run from you.

however, against heavy armoured, bow wielding opponents, an MA will have to run away or end up losing his horse and most likely his life. A long bow is your best friend against an MA. Its just that currently not many people run around in steel armour yet. This will change and MAs will not have it so easy then.

So a sorta soft counter to MA is wearing steel armor? Can't they just kill your horse and run off? That seems like a win for them to me still

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
oghmir 123 str mounted archer is the king of the open world. kill any mob, move quickly, wear heavy armor with no impediment. high health pool, super easily pointed. very cheap weapons. massive insane utility and durability. the class is straight busted 1vX or small team

lets hope to God SV doesnt implement breeding again and let people breed super mounts. Low HP horses are the only thing keeping MAs from owning everything.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

percept

Feb 2, 2022
Any idea what the damage difference between different bows that require different amounts of str? So the 121 bow, 110, 100 and whatnot?

poorconsumer

Feb 8, 2022
So a sorta soft counter to MA is wearing steel armor? Can't they just kill your horse and run off? That seems like a win for them to me still

MA lacks utility in some situations, forested areas with lots of cover, ridges, rivers, armor, heals. However none of these kill the MA so he either keeps pushing in or just leaves you alone.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
All MAs have short bows. Steel armour reduces arrow damage by a lot. Also, MAs hate losing their horse above anything. If you use a hard hitting long bow and get their horse low in hp, they will have to run away. Besically full on offence against their horse is your best bet.

having said that, yes, they will try and kill your horse first if you have one. A long bow will do more damage than their short bow, so you should be able to kill their horse( or get it low enough that they will want to run) before they kill yours.

percept

Feb 2, 2022
All MAs have short bows. Steel armour reduces arrow damage by a lot. Also, MAs hate losing their horse above anything. If you use a hard hitting long bow and get their horse low in hp, they will have to run away. Besically full on offence against their horse is your best bet.

having said that, yes, they will try and kill your horse first if you have one. A long bow will do more damage than their short bow, so you should be able to kill their horse( or get it low enough that they will want to run) before they kill yours.

You can use longbows on a horse? I thought you would have to dismount first and then use the longbow

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
You can use longbows on a horse? I thought you would have to dismount first and then use the longbow

no.I was talking about foot fighters. If you are also an MA then you will both have short bows, and it comes down to who hits first. The first one to lose his horse usually dies.

if you are sumply mounted as a foot fighter and come up on an MA then yes, you will have to dismount and take out your longbow. By then your horse will probably be half dead. Its not a fun fight.

percept

Feb 2, 2022
no.I was talking about foot fighters. If you are also an MA then you will both have short bows, and it comes down to who hits first. The first one to lose his horse usually dies.
What's the general play if you're a footfighter with a longbow or a mage?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
What's the general play if you're a footfighter with a longbow or a mage?

if you are a mage you are fucked unless you have terrain you can use to los( trees, rocks, walls, etc.). a fat mage can try go full offence and nuke down the horse (or rider since steel doesnt effect spell damage). but it will be a dps race. One interrupted spell and you are pretty much dead.

A foot fighter better have a hard hitting bow. You want to go full out offence on the horse. Make them MA run. Then heal and gtfo. Your only chance to kill him is if you manage to kill his horse. Otherwise he will always have rhe upper hand.

percept

Feb 2, 2022
if you are a mage you are fucked unless you have terrain you can use to los( trees, rocks, walls, etc.). a fat mage can try go full offence and nuke down the horse (or rider since steel doesnt effect spell damage). but it will be a dps race. One interrupted spell and you are pretty much dead.

A foot fighter better have a hard hitting bow. You want to go full out offence on the horse. Make them MA run. Then heal and gtfo. Your only chance to kill him is if you manage to kill his horse. Otherwise he will always have rhe upper hand.
Thanks for the info man. Helps me out a ton :)

King Christof

Jan 27, 2022

In my opinion at this point it is by far the strongest build to go currently. Going against one is just bad, but a group of MA's with good gear... Good game well played.

Leftnut

Feb 8, 2022
3/4 of the replies are people that don't understand how this game works. You don't use Short Bows as a MA you use Asymmetrical. The majority of players are not running around in steel armor.