How to prevent people from deleting items after looting!

Stevetibb95

Oct 21, 2020
Something i was thinking about was how people used to loot you and would simply delete all your items if they couldn't carry it.

It would be more realistic , and better for the balance if items at some point become unable to be deleted by way of inventory.
So now your looter will have to think about what to take , and can't just destroy all your armor and weapons , or material gathered in an instant!
Items maybe could be smelted down into raw materials aswell. So lets say you do want to delete an item, it would be encouraged to reuse the materials in this way and other wise maybe make it so you can drop item and it will disappear after like 1 hour or something. Obviously your looter could still hide all your loot they cant take, but this is more realistic and would leave open more time during that process for events to unfold where you get some of your stuff back.

Think this is a valid solution to a real issue I saw in MO1, but tell me what you guys think? or what could work better to solve it?

barcode

Jun 2, 2020

its been discussed a bit previously, but doesnt hurt to mention again

-barcode

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
yeah i never liked that you can destroy items just by dragging them out of inventory... just like in Rust people emptying people chests even tho they can't carry all of it, just for the sake of deleting everything

Reactions: Stevetibb95

Coffeeus

Nov 24, 2020
Could happen quite a bit, during UO if you got a kill or was killed a lot of times your reagent bag was the only thing taken. If you managed the risk and got back to where you died you might get a few things to save your time on re-equip. This begs the question though, why would you want to? Other than to piss in their cheerios?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Could happen quite a bit, during UO if you got a kill or was killed a lot of times your reagent bag was the only thing taken. If you managed the risk and got back to where you died you might get a few things to save your time on re-equip. This begs the question though, why would you want to? Other than to piss in their cheerios?
Its trash when a big long fight occurs near a blue priest and people come back and regear. Leaving a tonne of items on the battle field because you can't carry them doesn't sound great to me at all.

Try not dying instead.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I agree with OP. Sure, there is reasons why someone would want to destroy gear to make it harder for the dead player to return to battle.

The question though is how easy it should be for them to do so.

Surely being able to just drag and delete is way to easy.

I would rather the player having to make choices on what they leave and take.

With destruction also an option but it should take more time to do. Putting the player at risk for taking the time to do so.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I'd rather default function is dropping items on the ground. And as @Amadman says, destroying should be an action that you have to do, taking time. Or maybe even require a fireplace to burn the item, to speed things up.

If clutter is a problem, just make items congregate to the nearest lootbag in the area if there are too many. Even show an indicator which bag its going when you drop the item, maybe even make lootbags look different based on total weight+amount in the lootbag so you can see from a bit of distance if a bag looks like it contains a lot of items or if its basically empty.

Virin

Nov 20, 2020
Its trash when a big long fight occurs near a blue priest and people come back and regear. Leaving a tonne of items on the battle field because you can't carry them doesn't sound great to me at all.

Try not dying instead.
I'm with Teknique on this one... if getting your loot back becomes too easy then it will turn into a war of attrition. If you can't afford to lose it, don't use it. (somebody said that, once..)

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Carry capacity is pretty high, its pretty easy to just snag all the loot from someone's body and carry it with you. Then they'd have to kill you to get it back.
Also if you grab things like weapons and some select armor pieces even if they grab the rest of their stuff if the priest is nearby, they'll do nothing but die if they try to fight. Not to mention just one person can carry a lot of peoples weapons and helmets.

I would like it if they did like in LIF where if you dont wear any kind of boots you get a speed penalty. take leggings, helmet and weapons+ supplies like bandages and regs and they are not coming back fighting until they get back to base or meet up with their group, if they too have extra supplies.

Last edited:

Apocryphal

May 28, 2020
Put a short destruction timer on items when in the wild? But make it instant when at a bank/crafting station/vendor

Reactions: bbihah

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Carry capacity is pretty high, its pretty easy to just snag all the loot from someone body and carry it with you.
Right which is why its pointless, other than for regearing in big battles.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I guess it could be good so people don't delete their gold before you kill them and before you do damage to them...
That is a point, but I care more about fighting and killing than about gold and gear. Deleting stuff helps the ambitious player who takes on multiple enemies or larger groups.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I guess it could be good so people don't delete their gold before you kill them and before you do damage to them...

Exactly! Having delete is pretty crappy all the way around.

To be honest, I always figured having delete was a bandaid for not having a way to drop items.

It would be nice if they could add a limited drop function along with a scrapping mechanic and lose delete all together.