How to prevent people from deleting items after looting!

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
LIF did something where you would drop items in a lootbag on the ground instead of "deleting" them, and they'd be gone after like... 4 hours or server restart and some items were actually able to be smelted back into their core ingredients.
Wonder if something like that could happen here.
I think this is what they have in mind, I just hope it is an option alongside of deleting.

Reactions: Vagrant

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
I lived in both of those places. Please enlighten me about real warriors.
How long has it been since you played MO1? A long time it seems.
For very large periods of the game THE ONLY pvp was outside someone's gate, or the gates of a town.
Doesn't even have to be near a safe zone, just near a priest.
As big as this map is there will be even more pvp right outside of town, because it will be the place you can find people.

The limitations of game play are the same even if technical capacities are higher, many people will die and try to come back into the fight.

Edit: Added
I've made it no secret that the last time I played was early early 2017. I moved on with my life. I drive big rig trucks, make a good living, have a girlfriend on my arm and I am seeing out with love the last stretch of my dog's life. He has a tumor in his liver.

I do not have time for games like this anymore and I think if nothing else, I can provide a measured and rational viewpoints to help steer this game in the right direction. Because as much as I hated dealing with the absolute assholes in this game; we were all complete cunts with each other for the better part of 10 years. Hell a lot of us are still here, browsing, lurking, commenting here and there, just like me.

The single biggest gripe I heard, raising up generation after generation of newbies, the weak being culled naturally and the strong raised up; it was the bugs, the inconsistency, the harassment, the feelings of futility and impotence that came with *trying* to play a "good" guy, only to see that being the biggest most lawless cunt was the most rewarding way to play.

Being principled was punished, having a code made you weak, being lawful made you a target.

And to back up, when I said strong; I did not just mean pvp capable, I meant being strong mentally. It takes grit to play this game, many simply tune out, others burn out, and yet fewer still rise up, and only a handful shine and excel.

I trained several players, taught them and tested them, some were quite badass on the battlefield, but their complaints on the game were consistent whereas the game and SV were not.

Last edited:

Strilan

May 28, 2020
I've made it no secret that the last time I played was early early 2017. I moved on with my life. I drive big rig trucks, make a good living, have a girlfriend on my arm and I am seeing out with love the last stretch of my dog's life. He has a tumor in his liver.

I do not have time for games like this anymore and I think if nothing else, I can provide a measured and rational viewpoint to help steer this game in the right direction. Because as much as O hated dealing with the absolute assholes in this game, we were all complete cunts with each other for the better part of 10 years. Hell a lot of us are still here, browsing, lurking, commenting here and there like me.

The single biggest gripe I heard, raising up generation after generation of newbie, the weak being culled naturally and the strong raised up; it was the bugs, the inconsistency, the harassment, the feelings of futility and impotence that came with *trying* to play a "good" guy, only to see that being the biggest most lawless cunt was the most rewarding way to play.

Being principled was punished, having a code made you weak, being lawful made you a target.

And to back up, when I said strong; I did not just mean pvp capable, I meant being strong mentally. It takea grit to play this game, many simply tune out, others burn out, and yet fewer still rise up, and only a handful shine and excel.

I trained several players, taught them and tested them, some were quite badass on the battlefield, but their complaints on the game were consistent whereas the game and SV were not.

Look at Rhodri coming back w/ the FUEGO!

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
MO2 is (sadly ) looking like it is going to take after post 2017 MO1.
Being principled was punished in what way, exactly?
All the weak are targets, the strong, too, just targets of bigger groups.
Futility and impotence? Wow. What game mechanic caused that?
The bugs and inconsistency affected everyone, even those you consider "bad."

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
Surely it should just spawn another loot bag on the floor with the items that have been dragged out of the players inventory. Make the loot bag on the floor contain everything dropped in a small radius to prevent people the spamming it and crashing the server like campfires in vadda back in 2014 :D

Reactions: Strilan

Strilan

May 28, 2020
Surely it should just spawn another loot bag on the floor with the items that have been dragged out of the players inventory. Make the loot bag on the floor contain everything dropped in a small radius to prevent people the spamming it and crashing the server like campfires in vadda back in 2014 :D
Can the server even handle that?

I mean - if LIF could have done it, I don't see why Seb and company couldn't though.

Reactions: bbihah and Ask

Charizard

Jan 1, 2021
Due to the nature of rezing/respawning in MO. If you remove the ability to delete items then the game will heavily disadvantaged a smaller group when fighting outnumbered. Especially if its a smaller red group vs larger blue group. Where one side takes more than just loot loss, and the other can continue to rez without consequence.

New World used to have the same problem. If gear is on the field then people will continue to stream into the fight, and this is hard to overcome and it feels shitty. Like i'm playing atlas.

There was definitely a lot of noob abuse, but imo "deleting items" is pretty low on the list. I'd say a more pressing matter is crafters selling people low lore or low% armor. Like a steel set for 500g when its only 25% steel/ironsilk

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Due to the nature of rezing/respawning in MO. If you remove the ability to delete items then the game will heavily disadvantaged a smaller group when fighting outnumbered. Especially if its a smaller red group vs larger blue group. Where one side takes more than just loot loss, and the other can continue to rez without consequence.

New World used to have the same problem. If gear is on the field then people will continue to stream into the fight, and this is hard to overcome and it feels shitty. Like i'm playing atlas.

There was definitely a lot of noob abuse, but imo "deleting items" is pretty low on the list. I'd say a more pressing matter is crafters selling people low lore or low% armor. Like a steel set for 500g when its only 25% steel/ironsilk
Complete bullshit x 3.
-People coming back to battles is more fighting, and that's more fun.
-Deleting their shit was actually quite high on the list, because when you don't have a bank full of cash/items, deleting their gear can end their night, or at least sends them back to square 1, which was just griefer fun, and you sound like a griefer, frankly. I'm trying to remember that last noob that was caring about 500g steel armorsets. Oh wait, that never happened...

-Deleting items is obviously ridiculous, but here's an idea (wish I could remember that game that did this) that I'd like to see. When you kill someone you can take their stuff, but it takes time to take it off them, just like it takes time (a few seconds) to put it on or take if off of yourself. You can still loot, but you can't take a full suit of armor and a complete set of weapons/mats/whatever in like 3 seconds. Would have much more balance, add challenge and fun, and be a lot more believable than insta-click looting, or magical matter disintegration. It's been a decade; things can be done better than they were in MO1, so why not.

• Haha
Reactions: ThaBadMan

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Complete bullshit x 3.
-Deleting their shit was actually quite high on the list, because when you don't have a bank full of cash/items, deleting their gear can end their night, or at least sends them back to square 1, which was just griefer fun, and you sound like a griefer, frankly. I'm trying to remember that last noob that was caring about 500g steel armorsets. Oh wait, that never happened...

-Deleting items is obviously ridiculous, but here's an idea (wish I could remember that game that did this) that I'd like to see. When you kill someone you can take their stuff, but it takes time to take it off them, just like it takes time (a few seconds) to put it on or take if off of yourself. You can still loot, but you can't take a full suit of armor and a complete set of weapons/mats/whatever in like 3 seconds. Would have much more balance, add challenge and fun, and be a lot more believable than insta-click looting, or magical matter disintegration. It's been a decade; things can be done better than they were in MO1, so why not.
We also don't know anything about any death penalties yet. Since the flag system as we know it is going the way of the dodo. Would make sense to have some sort of penalties to dying other than material. Even just a resurrection sickness for X minutes will discourage going back just to die again.
Add something like, stat loss or skill loss to it and people will play more carefully(when they got nothing material to lose).

Charizard

Jan 1, 2021
Complete bullshit x 3.

Having nakeds stream at you with worn short swords is definitely not fun. This was a real problem in the past for MO1, and the reserve system in MO1 was so punishing to counter this style of play. It's probably one of the least fun things you can experience.

Or a mage picks up his reagents and is now thunderlashing you

I was just using an example. No need to be so hostile and flame me. A more likely situation is someone selling 25% molarium/full grain armor to noobs at full price, and this type of noob abuse was rampant on MO1 release.

Are you against MO being full loot?

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Having nakeds stream at you with worn short swords is definitely not fun. This was a real problem in the past for MO1, and the reserve system in MO1 was so punishing to counter this style of play. It's probably one of the least fun things you can experience.

Or a mage picks up his reagents and is now thunderlashing you

I was just using an example. No need to be so hostile and flame me. A more likely situation is someone selling 25% molarium/full grain armor to noobs at full price, and this type of noob abuse was rampant on MO1 release.

Are you against MO being full loot?
I don't see nakeds running at you from some priest, god knows how far away, being a battle-changer, esp since we're currently not respawning with any player made weapons, or didn't you notice?

Picking up reagents shouldn't be a problem, since it's not armor, and not going to take much time to grab, unless you're saying you're not smart enough to grab the reagents off a mage you killed.

"Are you against MO being full loot?"
Since I described a way to full loot someone, in detail, I'll assume you're just being a troll at this point.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I don't see nakeds running at you from some priest, god knows how far away, being a battle-changer, esp since we're currently not respawning with any player made weapons, or didn't you notice?

Picking up reagents shouldn't be a problem, since it's not armor, and not going to take much time to grab, unless you're saying you're not smart enough to grab the reagents off a mage you killed.

Since I described a way to full loot someone, in detail, I'll assume you're just being a troll at this point.
They just want ez mode, that is basically it. No point in debating with them.

Charizard

Jan 1, 2021

Why are you so hostile? You know this is an alpha forum, lol, you're not even losing anything yet.

Then you're not adequately considering the implications of deleting items. Consider fights at keeps, player cities, nearby wilderness priests, red cities, etc. Or large fights where people could be battle-rez'd. The game is larger now, but people will still be running back into fights.

Items still have weight. An armor set is 15kg. A wep is 2kg. a bag of mage reagents is 20kg. There needs to be a way to remove items or there needs to be no way for people to come back into a fight after they've died.

If people can come back then delete needs to stay. Otherwise group PvP is gona feel pretty bad.
We also don't know anything about any death penalties yet. Since the flag system as we know it is going the way of the dodo.

Are they going to change what they've already got into the beta? There are still murdercounts from what I see.

Charizard

Jan 1, 2021
They just want ez mode, that is basically it. No point in debating with them.
The game has to be designed around whatever system you're advocating for. If you want no-deleting like Rust or Life is Feudal. Then you need to also add in raid bases, FoBs, etc. Ways to bank/regroup in the field.

RaptorBlackz

Sep 4, 2020
Australia
Why not implement a skill called 'Hide Loot', Will give the user some slots to throw items in which will then take some time to hide it.
The end result will look like 'Mortal Royales' hidden stash which is 'leaves and a twigs'.

Will also add another element of tactical play on where to hide the loot and protect it from people from accessing it.
Deleting should be a big no though.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Then you're not adequately considering the implications of deleting items. Consider fights at keeps, player cities, nearby wilderness priests, red cities, etc. Or large fights where people could be battle-rez'd. The game is larger now, but people will still be running back into fights.
Yes I know they will, and I think more people fighting will be more fun, in case you missed the last time I said that.

Items still have weight. An armor set is 15kg. A wep is 2kg. a bag of mage reagents is 20kg. There needs to be a way to remove items or there needs to be no way for people to come back into a fight after they've died.
A way to remove items... You mean like dropping it into a nearby bush, popping it into saddlebags on a mount, dropping it into the water, things like that? Dude, think before you post.

Are they going to change what they've already got into the beta? There are still murdercounts from what I see.
Huh? How are those two sentences even related? Are they going to change stuff? Um, do you even know what a beta is? Figuring out what needs changing/fixing is why we're all here, yeesh, dude. And what do murdercounts have to do with anything? Dude, step away from the bong...

The game has to be designed around whatever system you're advocating for. If you want no-deleting like Rust or Life is Feudal. Then you need to also add in raid bases, FoBs, etc. Ways to bank/regroup in the field.
No, you don't need in-battle banking... This is retarded, I"m done with you and this insipid exchange.
And by the way, banking in the field is called a saddlebag, genius... /wave

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Why not implement a skill called 'Hide Loot', Will give the user some slots to throw items in which will then take some time to hide it.
The end result will look like 'Mortal Royales' hidden stash which is 'leaves and a twigs'.

Will also add another element of tactical play on where to hide the loot and protect it from people from accessing it.
Deleting should be a big no though.
This is a really good idea that has been suggested before; when guild keeps get sieged, for another example, they could hide enough stuff in a cache to be able to rebuild, instead of ragequitting. I think it would make sieges more fun, because then we could war endlessly, without losing guilds due to catastrophic loss. Could raidsiege a keep, burn their buildings, steal their everything, but after, they come back, dig up their stash, and start rebuilding, instead of saying, "Fuck this, I just lost a years work." and un-subbing, which happened in MO1. I think Rust has this, but I might be thinking of another game, I'm pretty toasty right now.

duckydaddles

May 28, 2020
Something i was thinking about was how people used to loot you and would simply delete all your items if they couldn't carry it.

It would be more realistic , and better for the balance if items at some point become unable to be deleted by way of inventory.
So now your looter will have to think about what to take , and can't just destroy all your armor and weapons , or material gathered in an instant!
Items maybe could be smelted down into raw materials aswell. So lets say you do want to delete an item, it would be encouraged to reuse the materials in this way and other wise maybe make it so you can drop item and it will disappear after like 1 hour or something. Obviously your looter could still hide all your loot they cant take, but this is more realistic and would leave open more time during that process for events to unfold where you get some of your stuff back.

Think this is a valid solution to a real issue I saw in MO1, but tell me what you guys think? or what could work better to solve it?

This is a +1