Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No, I'm too soft

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • No, I'm a badass.

Votes: 11 13.4%

• Total voters

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
And also a point, do you have a job? Because having a job and playing mo is almost impossible with how much time it requires. And u want to make this even worse by adding permadeath that would result in players doing the same boring stuff every week..

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
Hey, like I said, it's cool to have your own opinion but you're getting into denial and conspiracy theory territory right now.
May I suggest a short break from the forums?

I'd really like to get back ON topic, you know. I'd really hate to report you for purposefully derailing my thread.
Not derailed 1 bit. But go ahead , report.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
And also a point, do you have a job? Because having a job and playing mo is almost impossible with how much time it requires. And u want to make this even worse by adding permadeath that would result in players doing the same boring stuff every week..

I'm just going to have to ignore you cause I realise I am helping derail the thread myself by feeding this troll behaviour.
Have fun trolling others, I won't be able to see it. I suggest the rest of us continue the discussion from this point on, in a constructive manner.

Anyway, the concept is getting more support than I expected. I suspect it has to do with the premise that permadeath would only kick in after a certain amount of deaths have occurred (with lives being regained over time).

Is 3 too harsh? Should we make it 5, in line with murder counts? It would be kind of poetic.

• Haha
Reactions: LivingshadeNL

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
For a game like the dofus mmorpg that perma death works.

But for mortal. the grind is to heavy.
But still an interresting thought but i think i would never leave town than. And it would be stupid because some bugs let you fall under the map.
So yeah your most deaths will be bugs anyway.

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
Ask MO players what they enjoy about the game and 9 times out of 10 they will answer "the ever present danger".
This doesn't just apply to PvP players who actively engage in the killing of others but also traders or more PvE focused players who simply enjoy the danger of other human players preying on them.

In MO, your actions and choices have consequences. You want to take the quick but dangerous route to your destination? May pay with your life and lose your items.
Perhaps you should have taken the long but safe route instead?

It's only been a few weeks since the last wipe and people have already come to a point where even losing all your items and maybe losing a bit of weight isn't an issue anymore.

"But mister Kebek, that's just cause of the rates!"

No, the loot rates aren't x100. Did the process of gathering materials get sped up by the faster leveling? Sure, a bit. Won't take much longer to get to the point we are now when persistence hits, however.

Death is nothing but a minor inconvenience. You lose a minute or two getting back to a place where you can get fully regeared in seconds.

That's why I propose (and you should all support) permadeath.

What can permadeath do for you? Well, glad you asked:

• Increased sense of danger
  • Bigger consequences for the choices you make
  • A sense of pride and accomplishment for surviving a certain amount of days (consider personal records)

Now, I am very aware the game has opened up a bit to a broader audience and there will be some among us that are a bit "soft". Therefore, I am willing to concede that permadeath doesn't kick in until your character has died 3 times, for example.

What say ye?
Would you implement this before horse bags?

• Haha
Reactions: Kelzyr

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
Would you implement this before horse bags?

Horse bags are of little importance and entirely irrelevant to the concept of permadeath. The horse bags would be wiped along with all other possessions you have upon permadeath.

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
I'm sure that's what people said about full loot too at one time.

"Nobody will want to go out there and risk everything by fighting."
You're terrible with analogies. Losing gear sucks but you can have extra stored up in the bank and quickly re gear and continue fighting.

Perma death means you skill up a new toon for a few weeks before being able to fight once.

For someone so salty that it takes them too long to transport materials without horse bags, this is a comical post.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
You're terrible with analogies. Losing gear sucks but you can have extra stored up in the bank and quickly re gear and continue fighting.

Perma death means you skill up a new toon for a few weeks before being able to fight once.

For someone so salty that it takes them too long to transport materials without horse bags, this is a comical post.

I mean, I'm sure the irony of someone bringing up entirely unrelated discussions from the past calling anyone salty went over your head entirely.
Yikes, my man. Has a simple discussion about horse bags scarred you so deeply that you need to bring it up in every discussion you have with me?

Anyway, not sure you know how analogies work. Permadeath and full loot are both things people believed would minimise PvP and roaming and would have people stay within the safety of a city.

People said the same thing about full loot and were proven wrong so the "but this time, people will REALLY stay inside" is an invalid argument.

What happened to the hardcore players? Why do people want to turn this into fortnite now?

EDIT: actually I'm going to ignore you already cause you're also trying to derail the thread about permadeath.

• Haha

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
What happened to the hardcore players? Why do people want to turn this into fortnite now?

You are the only one trying to turn this game into "Fortnite", I play mmorpg's so I don't have to start over all the time. I play this full loot game instead of survival games for the same reason..... MMORPG's are made so people have years of content continuing to grind and accumulate wealth, skills, fame, etc. Almost endless progression..... instead of some crap BR or Survival game that restarts all the time. If you think me not wanting to keep starting from scratch doesn't make me hardcore.... that's pathetic, did you ever think it's not fun doing the same crap OVER AND OVER again. Get a reality check bud.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Permadeath and full loot are both things people believed would minimise PvP and roaming and would have people stay within the safety of a city.
You are making this up. Anyone who downloads this game tacitly accepts the risk of losing loot, and by their actions disagree with your statement.
We can't test your idea of permanent death in game. I suspect that you are wrong based on my experience, but I know that isn't evidence.
Here's what I recommend, redo the poll or make a new thread with a new poll that shows who is voting, then we can more accurately judge its validity, plus then you can remove your attempt to bias the vote from the responses to the question.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
You are the only one trying to turn this game into "Fortnite", I play mmorpg's so I don't have to start over all the time. I play this full loot game instead of survival games for the same reason..... MMORPG's are made so people have years of content continuing to grind and accumulate wealth, skills, fame, etc. Almost endless progression..... instead of some crap BR or Survival game that restarts all the time. If you think me not wanting to keep starting from scratch doesn't make me hardcore.... that's pathetic, did you ever think it's not fun doing the same crap OVER AND OVER again. Get a reality check bud.

That's quite fatalistic, isn't it?
You'd have multiple lives before permadeath would kick in but here you are assuming you'll just fail at lives management and will have to reroll over and over again. Have you so little belief in your own capabilities?

You are making this up. Anyone who downloads this game tacitly accepts the risk of losing loot, and by their actions disagree with your statement.
We can't test your idea of permanent death in game. I suspect that you are wrong based on my experience, but I know that isn't evidence.
Here's what I recommend, redo the poll or make a new thread with a new poll that shows who is voting, then we can more accurately judge its validity, plus then you can remove your attempt to bias the vote from the responses to the question.

A lot of false assumptions and conspiracy theories.
I'm sorry you have trouble accepting reality but blaming others really isn't the solution.

I don't see how "I don't believe you" would count as a valid argument as to why permadeath should or should not be a thing. Are you trying to derail the thread?

I don't see how full loot and permadeath are supposed to be mutually exclusive. They could complement each other quite well, really. The more people have to lose, the more exciting it is to venture out into the wild, risking it all. This is what I was told people enjoy about the game and judging by the poll results, many backed up this sentiment with their vote.

• Haha

Kovah Temsik

May 3, 2021
Permadeath in mo2 would make it even more of a flop than mo1. On the other hand if you wanted to argue for more punishing deaths then you might want to consider skill/exp loss on death. Rerolling every death (or every couple deaths) would assuredly kill the game, losing a few random skill levels probably wouldn't.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
Permadeath in mo2 would make it even more of a flop than mo1. On the other hand if you wanted to argue for more punishing deaths then you might want to consider skill/exp loss on death. Rerolling every death (or every couple deaths) would assuredly kill the game, losing a few random skill levels probably wouldn't.

That's actually a valid point.
Only took us 3 pages to get a sincere argument.

What level of skill/xp loss would you find reasonable?

• Haha

Kovah Temsik

May 3, 2021
That's actually a valid point.
Only took us 3 pages to get a sincere argument.

What level of skill/xp loss would you find reasonable?
It's hard to tell since we're working with increased skill rates right now, but something like 3-10 skill levels per death might be punishing enough for a challenge but not so bad as to chase off many players.

Edit: Another added benefit of skill/stat loss on death is that while it wouldn't prevent people from suicide ghosting around it would add a bit of a penalty to it.

Last edited:

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
It's hard to tell since we're working with increased skill rates right now, but something like 3-10 skill levels per death might be punishing enough for a challenge but not so bad as to chase off many players.

Edit: Another added benefit of skill/stat loss on death is that while it wouldn't prevent people from suicide ghosting around it would add a bit of a penalty to it.
Imagine losing 3 levels on your beastmastery or one of the other skills that takes an age to level..

TwistedSister77

Apr 23, 2021
Permadeath no...

However, other games have had skill/exp penalties (de-leveling).

Also death penalty timers (x% less health/ % less damage) that stack and are removed over time.

Which would be important in big battles where players are constantly respawning and rejoining the fight.