Why hasn't pet pathing been fixed yet?

poorconsumer

Feb 8, 2022
look at the outcome and infer the motivation.

outcome = pet pathing is broken, known to be broken, still broken.
motivation = pet pathing is beyond reasonable repair.
reasonable repair = development man hours exceed what is capable for assigned team to complete
assigned team = lacks competency, lacks manpower, workload is organized by urgency therefore, pet pathing urgency is low

i know pet pathing will be 'improved' soon, but the same logic applies to the rest of the things in the game that fit the criteria that things are broken, known to be broken, remain broken.

I wish it were as simple as SV telling us their methods, the userbase telling them what to do, and then things somehow being better because a hive mind of players are more competent at knowing what should be fixed and developed first but I don't think that will work, or that that is true.

I do believe that pet urgency is low for the game, i do believe pets are hated by the community, and I do believe this would put them low on the list so im not surprised at all pets are so absolutely terrible to use. if it takes a year to fix, and works for a decade is it worth the wait? i don't know, i think many people who got burnt trying to use pets will never see them work well and hopefully many more will never see them broken.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Pets teleporting to you is the most SV can produce. They are incapable of fixing it hands down.
Pets teleport only if they don't find any path at all.
But they don't when they endlessly walk in a circle.

You can see a few examples in the first few seconds:

Reactions: Hodo

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Christ, that's even worse than i thought. It's a reason i don't even look at pets in this game.
But seeing as they can't even code teleporting to you right i'd say it's the usual from SV. Half baked "fixes" and incompetence.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Pets teleport only if they don't find any path at all.
But they don't when they endlessly walk in a circle.

You can see a few examples in the first few seconds:

And this is why everyone runs terrorbirds, or dire wolves. Because everything else is USELESS.

In a game where you can tame anything or dominate it, we have 2 viable pet combos. Unless you are farming trolls you have ZERO use for anything else.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I think its both, pet pathing and the world mesh that contribute to the pets issues.

Its not just about fixing the pets themselves. They are better than they were though, and quite evident by how many people now run around with pets.

It sucks to be a foot mage now even more.

Last edited:

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
And this is why everyone runs terrorbirds, or dire wolves. Because everything else is USELESS.

In a game where you can tame anything or dominate it, we have 2 viable pet combos. Unless you are farming trolls you have ZERO use for anything else.
That's ok you can tame a lvl 2 young wolf and afk it for 10 hours.

Get better

• Haha
Reactions: Jatix and Hodo

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
That's ok you can tame a lvl 2 young wolf and afk it for 10 hours.

Get better

LOL true.. I mean I can watch....

Ghandi,
Dances With Wolves,
Gone with the Wind
and....
Last of the Mohicans

And maybe by the end of all of that I will have a SINGLE level 125 wolf...

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
should have just added a 'recall pet' spell from launch, would've fixed 99% of problems. Make it take a minute to cast or whatever, keep it in logout range. Basically like logging in and logging out before anyone complains, could make it so you can't cast in combat. Can't even count the number of times my pet would get stuck on something, get stuck somewhere, start running off into the distance, etc. But sadly breaks the immersion or something. The 'length' sv will go to not break any 'immersion' at the cost of the game breaking constantly is a mixture of impressive and disturbing. Hard to tell if they just truly care about immersion or just don't care about bugs

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
should have just added a 'recall pet' spell from launch, would've fixed 99% of problems. Make it take a minute to cast or whatever, keep it in logout range. Basically like logging in and logging out before anyone complains, could make it so you can't cast in combat. Can't even count the number of times my pet would get stuck on something, get stuck somewhere, start running off into the distance, etc. But sadly breaks the immersion or something. The 'length' sv will go to not break any 'immersion' at the cost of the game breaking constantly is a mixture of impressive and disturbing. Hard to tell if they just truly care about immersion or just don't care about bugs

They could have done a lot of things at or prior to launch that would have solved many issues.

Like housing.. houses, strongholds and keeps should not have been put in till they had TC and a nav mesh in place that can support them. How many issues have been due to houses alone? From the house chest dupe exploit, to the crying over the keeps being built by guilds that managed to get on during the queue times.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
LOL true.. I mean I can watch....

Ghandi,
Dances With Wolves,
Gone with the Wind
and....
Last of the Mohicans

And maybe by the end of all of that I will have a SINGLE level 125 wolf...
That dies in like 4 arrows to an MA with a 10 silver bow and vendor arrows lmao. Balanced, and working as intended.

Reactions: Hodo

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
combat pets don't belong in this game.

change my mind

Spinning in melee doesnt belong in the game and should be removed

Swords should be useless against anyone in plate....

Lances should be useless on foot....

Lances when used properly from a mount on ANYONE on foot should destroy them.

Mounts should run over people.

People in plate or heavy armor should use more stamina by a large factor or move slower then a person in lighter gear.

Weapon swapping shouldnt be a thing, you should have equipment places for single handed and two handed. If it isnt there it takes a full minute to dig it out of the backpack to get it.

Characters should have to have a backpack to carry anything not in an equipped slot.

Change my mind.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Spinning in melee doesnt belong in the game and should be removed

Swords should be useless against anyone in plate....

Lances should be useless on foot....

Lances when used properly from a mount on ANYONE on foot should destroy them.

Mounts should run over people.

People in plate or heavy armor should use more stamina by a large factor or move slower then a person in lighter gear.

Weapon swapping shouldnt be a thing, you should have equipment places for single handed and two handed. If it isnt there it takes a full minute to dig it out of the backpack to get it.

Characters should have to have a backpack to carry anything not in an equipped slot.

Change my mind.
See im talking from a fun gameplay perspective and it sounds like you're just using the "realism".

Last edited: