Upcoming Q&A With Henrik

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
I dont know If someone already asked but I would like to see all the magics at the "persistent state " .

Reactions: Rolufe

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I dont know If someone already asked but I would like to see all the magics at the "persistent state " .
Didn't watch everything yet, but as far as i knew from discord only Eco spells will make it up till then.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I was at the beginning a bit sceptical about the Q&A and wasn't sure if there will be much new information. But after listening to part of it I'm positively surprised.
Thanks a lot for @Henrik Nyström for sharing all your thoughts. I'm known for not liking TC guards. But the idea with guards requiring gear, and also dropping it on death is great! That will prevent random spamming across the whole continent. And if some people still do I got a lot of armors to farm. ;)

Also thank you @Rolufe for hosting the Q&A.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
Yeah im generally against guards, but they will be in the game anyways.
But what he said about them sounds like they wil be quite different this time around. If players need to gear the guards and they drop that gear, that means players create mobs that are farmable for gear. Sounds like it will be a pain for the person using the guards to keep them up. Thats a good thing.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Yeah im generally against guards, but they will be in the game anyways.
But what he said about them sounds like they wil be quite different this time around. If players need to gear the guards and they drop that gear, that means players create mobs that are farmable for gear. Sounds like it will be a pain for the person using the guards to keep them up. Thats a good thing.

I guess that depends on how smart you use your guards. When you place those guards just in the inner area of your keep, where usually no enemys are supposed to be, it's unlikely that they die.
But if you place them outside of your walls it will be a pain.

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
Didn't watch everything yet, but as far as i knew from discord only Eco spells will make it up till then.
If so, we must expect a path like mo1 ? Years for a second magic schools after the launch and so on? I hope not.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
If so, we must expect a path like mo1 ? Years for a second magic schools after the launch and so on? I hope not.
I do think we will get em faster as they got a lot bigger team now. In MO1 it was Seb for like 5 years working on it more or less alone. Now we know from the interview Henrik did, its about 30 of them. Also the UE4 engine allows them to work way faster with many things. So i would exspect for the schools to come relatively fast. I too would like to have it all in from the start but then we might need to wait another year for the game :(

Edit: Since we get it over time we will never run out of things to explore :)

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
A big notable is when he said they were going to instance Haven so that server load is low.

StarVault already mentioned this long time ago when Haven has ben released in MO1. No new information but very nice to handle a large amount of players in the first days of MO2. I think most MO1 veterans will move to Myrland immediately and don't spend time on Haven.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
StarVault already mentioned this long time ago when Haven has ben released in MO1. No new information but very nice to handle a large amount of players in the first days of MO2. I think most MO1 veterans will move to Myrland immediately and don't spend time on Haven.
Ya I picture a quick run to all the skill trainers, if they have them, for quick free skillups, and then going straight to the boat.

Reactions: Xunila

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Summary:
- Next major alpha patch planned for beginning of next week.
- MO2 Aplha only package planned for ~50€(don't remember the exact amount).
- Next released city's will be Meduli or Vadda (being build in parallel).
- No player GM's.
- Player personal data & payment will be handled by external service provider.
- Currently no MO player "tester team", that could leak information or take advantage out of them. Only alpha and internal testing.
- There will be only "alpha" and "persistent state".
- Significiant improvements in AI.
- Heaven as starter island. Possible multiple instances of Heaven to handle large player loads.
- Logout at "camps"/campfires in the wilderness possible (with longer logout time), including pets.
- In muddy terrain/swamplands mounteds or foot fighters with heavy armor will be effected in some way (not to concrete or fixed yet).
- Throwing weapons confirmed.
- No swimming with heavy armor.
- Flagging system still under discussion, but there are some thoughts:
# more regional system. e.g. wanted by the tindremic empire, but friendly with the khurite empire.
# no visible red flag. Player need to keep track on who is wanted by the local empire, and who is not. Guards might give information if a player is wanted.
# possibly there will be a criminal indicator when the player watched a other player commiting a crime.
- Sieging will be harder. You should not take direct economical advantage of a siege (so no deed drop I guess). Sieging should be a "hard commitment" if you have major conflicts with another guild, e.g. due to regional resources and not a random even (who're we going to siege today? :D)
- Defensive siege weapons.
- Guards: they exist but work completely different to MO1. Guards will behave more close to players. Gear needs to be supplied to them. They drop the gear on death. No infinite mana. No infinite arrows. They should do nothing, which a player is not able to do. Different "tiers" of guards basically effect the skills of the guard, e.g. Grandmaster mage -> level 100 mage skill, Novice mage -> level 20 mage skill. But no "superhumans", with e.g. huge amounts of life, etc.
- Walls only close to keeps (not 100% fixed -> balance still in progress). Hnerik does not like the MO1 part with walls everywhere and around a lot of resources.
- Unsure on sliders vs numbers on weapons/armors.
- No poison in the beginning.
- Receipes will be similar to MO1 and the same ones might even work. There are plans to enhance it a bit to make more combination viable.
- Vagons of some kind to transport lagers resources e.g. cut trees.
- (probably) longer times for trees or animal herds to regrow.
- Different type of AI:
# Wildlife that is fleeing from players and needs to be hunted.
# Humanoid AI (including risars).
# "Titans": Special rare monsters with special attacks & treasures. This includes also dragons (through unknown when they will be added). They will turn into some kind of "object" that can be harvested by the players. Or demons. No specific spanwn point.
- Idea with dragons:
# Asleep dragons can be used to create unique items that gain their power from the dragon. Once the dragon dies those items will loose their power.
# This creates conflict between players who want to use the items, and those who want to hunt the dragon for resources.
# Dragon riders.
- In MO1 it makes sense to eighter max a skill, or have it at 0. They want to make it viable to have some of those skills only on 60 or 80...
- Make more races viable by adding unique "skills" to them. To make it more than just comparing stats numbers. E.g. night vision or viewing distance.
Those skills need to be available at release/world turning persistent to not force players to reroll due to new skills, that didn't exist before.
- Fixed keep spot locations.
- TC towers were a nightmare for Henrik. Literally. He got calls by GM's in the middle of the night from GM's due to issues with "unreachable" tc tower.
- Wealth transfer from MO1: e.g. an asset in Tindrem. No direct headstart, but something that gathers value over time, e.g. by a good location of that asset.
- There are secrets in MO1 that were never discovered.
- Trinkets will be in MO2.
- Food system / gray bar system stays the same.
- Potion thirst system stays the same.

If some people didn't feel like watching everything here is a "small" summary. There were really a lot of topics!
Lot's of those game elements are still under construction, so don't take those things as in stone.

Reactions: Amadman

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Heres a video that talks about advanced AI on UE. Skip to 4 mins and you'll see where they can make the AI do anything. They just have to go in depth with how they design each AI. I believe they actually do what they intended with the newer system they got. Just gunna be a lot of work.

You can do it SV!

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Heres a video that talks about advanced AI on UE. Skip to 4 mins and you'll see where they can make the AI do anything. They just have to go in depth with how they design each AI. I believe they actually do what they intended with the newer system they got. Just gunna be a lot of work.

You can do it SV!
It's kind of funny thinking about how bad the AI was in MO, and how much better of an experience it could have been for a lot of people with just basic working AI. MO had a ton of issues of course, but I imagine a lot of people who weren't necessarily interested in only PVP, or only accumulating resources would have stuck around longer if the NPC AI was even just basically average.

I'm hopeful now with UE4 AI tools they can at least...I mean at the very least...have basic functioning AI, and maybe with the experience they have plus the vision, plus the new tools, maybe this time it can actually be a feature that keeps people interested and gives players different gameplay loops to take part in that are actually fun and not just a means to an end. It always seemed that everything except PVP was just a means to an end, and not really enjoyable in and of itself. I can't even calculate how much time I spent doing things in MO that were not inherently fun at all or interesting at all just to get some kind of resource, especially hunting, because the AI was so bad.

Relating this back to the Q & A it was interesting to hear that Henrik realizes how broken the game was in so many areas, and how it never was in his mind even close to the vision he had in the beginning, and that he still has the drive to work towards achieving that vision. He was super candid about all of that, and that makes me hopeful for a much better game this time around.

Reactions: Rolufe and Rhias

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
A big notable is when he said they were going to instance Haven so that server load is low.
True-- and that was noted quite some time ago-- but, was part of the information given out in Discord which (as the reactions to this interview help to show) was not an efficient way of telling folks what to expect.

(I don't recall if it was ever mentioned in the MO1 Forums, either, but someone would have to check by searching them; there just isn't any global source of info.)

He did say, though --before-- that they can make as many Havens as needed to handle the influx of new players (that Star Vault will get for MO2 if they are lucky).