Turn Cap Yes or No?

Turn Cap?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I think he uses a little foresight. For example If your a mage, you wanna be able to flick pin point to the target you wanna cast on, like a machine. With a turn cap it might take a noticeable time before you land your aim on the target. This might even make it harder to land your spell. Same applies to any combat that requires your character turning.

Edit: Turn rates only really worked well in 3rd person games.
I also just changed my own mind on the turn cap explaining this here xD

Nope, it depends on the implementation. There is a reason why flicking with an AWP in CS is a special skill. Yet it was different in every iteration of counterstrike.

For example: If you were to introduce momentum (acceleration) overshooting will become a much bigger problem. You can also detach movement of the arms/head from the body (already happening in MO2). You can reduce initial accel, and terminal speed.

Yes, you will flick in magic because it will be hitscan (for ecu at least). Having a rather low sensitivy and medium DPI or low DPI with high sens is preferable for accurate flicks. A turn limit will only marginally affect flicking. Because by definition it´s a small movement. Doing turns at the back in the group to escape a sticky and get peeled on the other hand? Yeah that will be affected.

Anyway, jumping on a bandwagon is rather silly but sadly what happens in small groups. I´ll still wait for the actual implementation and then formulate my feedback. It´s how testing should work IMO. Not changing patches because player come up with new theories.

Not in a significant enough frequency to justify shitting on archery, magic, group fights, being able to fucking look around and play the game.
Forgive me, you won’t understand what I must do. I know now it’s the forum shitters that will stand in the way of a good game

Also I want to point out that with the 1 character per account these kind of fights are more likely. Anytime you want to fight over a bunch of nodes it will result in a possible duel. Remember, all chars will be full fighters.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Interesting how you can judge the effect of a turn limit on all these not yet implemented systems. If anything you are a forum shitter, or as I´d call it a try hard.
Wouldn't you like to just strike me down? Its common sense mate.

As for frequency of 1v1s lets just say I concede the point and not only will 1v1s be frequent lets say they are the MOST frequent. Had you ever heard the story of bordelli the forum war. Once upon a time in my MO infancy when I only played a fat mage, he told me something a long the lines "git gud you fat mage shitter and play foot". How did I respond? I almost certainly will slap the shit out of you at that too. Why did I not need to even have played foot to know this? Confidence. Given the lack of ballerinas at present in MO 2, i'd argue that a ballerina is going be to just as confident in whatever circumstances you put them in and they'll find a different more crafty way to slap. Ballerinas are skillful, how does one flick their mouse and hit a player not even on their screen? Spatial awareness of course, short of absolutely breaking the game and taking all skill out, the outcome will remain the same. Ded kid and tears.

Last edited:

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Wouldn't you like to just strike me down? Its common sense mate

Not really. But someone must keep a level head and point out false statements. A bit of trolling is just for my personal entertainment.

A. The current "implentation" is not working as intended. If I adjust my sens and DPI there is literally no change at all.
- Thus this thread is premature. It would make sense to have this poll after a working solution is presented.

B. Since there is no working implementation any projection on how it will affect other systems that are also not implemented is insane. See above for examples. Actually every game I know that a restriction on how fast a charactermodel can physically turn.

C. The current swing in opinion is solely based on false assumptions. It´s one of those cases where groupthink will not get you there.

So, you´re just wrong and full of yourself. Get over it.

Reactions: PatWins and Rolufe

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Not really. But someone must keep a level head and point out false statements. A bit of trolling is just for my personal entertainment.

A. The current "implentation" is not working as intended. If I adjust my sens and DPI there is literally no change at all.
- Thus this thread is premature. It would make sense to have this poll after a working solution is presented.

B. Since there is no working implementation any projection on how it will affect other systems that are also not implemented is insane. See above for examples. Actually every game I know that a restriction on how fast a charactermodel can physically turn.

C. The current swing in opinion is solely based on false assumptions. It´s one of those cases where groupthink will not get you there.

The only way to implement a turn cap without effecting these systems is to prevent a super exaggerated spin like maybe a 720. Every other system in the game might require you to do an exaggerate adjustment at some point.

Does every other game also not suck monkey balls, why are we here?

Oh no, my young friend, you will find it is you who are full of themselves, if you believe there is any patch on this planet that will prevent me from fucking putting my hands on you.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
The only way to implement a turn cap without effecting these systems is to prevent a super exaggerated spin like maybe a 720. Every other system in the game might require you to do an exaggerate adjustment at some point.

Oh no, my young friend, you will find it is you who are full of themselves, if you believe there is any patch on this planet that will prevent me from fucking putting my hands on you.

It´s a proverbial 360° noscope, maybe 420, not 720°.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020

No one is trying to remove your ability to fight. Just limit the things people can do, that straight up breaks the game. Not very attractive game when animations drops into 4 fps or people cant even see your attack animation at all. Just tune the spinning down to a lvl the game can handle so we can all have a decent experience. Has nothing to do with skill.

• Angry
Reactions: PatWins and Bicorps

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
It´s a proverbial 360° noscope, maybe 420, not 720°.
Not totally sure I’m following but if you want to stop 360s and 420s then yes it will effect the skill base or the other systems As these may still be required, have you even played mordhau recently? It feels completely random you can’t really use movement to zone out enemies and fight one at a time, it’s dumb weapons with stupid ranges and feint spamming, this would be so bad with the systems I mentioned earlier archery etc
No one is trying to remove your ability to fight. Just limit the things people can do, that straight up breaks the game. Not very attractive game when animations drops into 4 fps or people cant even see your attack animation at all. Just tune the spinning down to a lvl the game can handle so we can all have a decent experience. Has nothing to do with skill.
I’ve been asking people to show me what they’re referring to with little success. At this point people are asking me to get behind nerfing something that I’m not even sure exists. Please someone show me wtf yall are talking about. if a 360 animation breaks the game then fix the animation displays on the other persons client end of discussion. A 360 is something that you will likely need to do many times in mortal. Greater than that I can see there being a turn cap for but at that point why. I’d only ever do greater than a 360 if I’m tryna disrespect the shit out of someone and then instant replay it

Last edited:

Waalan

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Even though I don't really believe in the turncap. It's worth considering that the turncap should only be needed during an active attack with a melee weapon.

It makes no sense to have a cap at all other times imo (e.g. no charge, using spells, bow).

Is it really worth it though? :unsure:

Reactions: Teknique

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020

this i agree, now people with macros are so OP they can increase their DPI so is no nerf to turn, instead they should have a HARD turn cap with sensitivity limit

Reactions: Rolufe

PatWins

May 28, 2020
A turn cap is just not the answer, if you implement it strict enough to really shut down even 180 spins which can still confuse other players then you essentially break all the combat from duels to group fights. You can try it right now, go put sens a bit low like 30 and try playing like that, I guarantee is gonna feel like dog shit.

A better way IMO is desyncing the first person animations with what the other player sees, so limiting those back breaking animations that really make spinning look silly. This wasnt an issue in MO1 since your torso didnt move there
Good idea!

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Turn rates will definitely effect those other elements of the game, but it's also up to the developers to find a good balance. Development is all about iteration. This first implementation might not be that great, but that's why you keep tinkering with it. Henrik is shooting for a larger community, not just a community with a dozen or so veterans. Most the veterans have moved to other things or other games as well, so counting on creating a game for just a small demography of people is naive. I'm almost sure MO2 will piss old players off because it's not a carbon copy jank fest that of MO1, but maybe if they can fix most of the broken stuff in MO1 they attract newer players.
I agree with your point about iteration. There are going to be a ton of new systems and changes added that may break the game. People are too quick to doom the game and shut down creativity before giving new ideas a chance to be refined. Since MO2 alpha began, the devs have given us 0 reason to believe they won't listen to the community or remove anything that breaks the game in a timely fashion. Have a little faith people.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Good idea!
I agree with your point about iteration. There are going to be a ton of new systems and changes added that may break the game. People are too quick to doom the game and shut down creativity before giving new ideas a chance to be refined. Since MO2 alpha began, the devs have given us 0 reason to believe they won't listen to the community or remove anything that breaks the game in a timely fashion. Have a little faith people.
I feel like I said that many times.

I think the problem is what we're creating. You coulda said we're gonna do tab targetting and actions bars and it woulda been basically the same thing.

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020
I feel like I said that many times.

I think the problem is what we're creating. You coulda said we're gonna do tab targetting and actions bars and it woulda been basically the same thing.
action bars already in the game so i do not know what you are talking about mate.... TAB TARGETTING WAS in MO1 but was remove and if you do not want the turn cap, lock on tab target so you cannot do derpy spin2win is also super good idea

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
action bars already in the game so i do not know what you are talking about mate.... TAB TARGETTING WAS in MO1 but was remove and if you do not want the turn cap, lock on tab target so you cannot do derpy spin2win is also super good idea
We no longer need a turn cap for our purposes. You're dismissed. It was necessary only for me to accept the truth. Inform Lord Slammington that I go to face Henrik...alone

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rolufe

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
i don't understand how people would agree to keep this stuff, it's horrible and cringy to see

moreover i guess @Henrik Nyström always wanted a "realistic" combat, and i doubt spinning would be that realistic...

Reactions: Teknique

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
i don't understand how people would agree to keep this stuff, it's horrible and cringy to see

moreover i guess @Henrik Nyström always wanted a "realistic" combat, and i doubt spinning would be that realistic...
What are you saying the turn cap is cringe or the lack of a turn cap is cringy

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
the spinning stuff is cringy and horrible to see

so imho there should be a way to prevent it

i agree but i find nothing funny about people spinning when fighting...
Well go try the new turn cap with low sens (how its supposed to be) and tell me if you find that combat any fun...