MO I Player Considering MO II: Questions

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
I played a metric ton of Mortal Online I, loved it, even had a radio show about it. I have long considered coming back but in the time since MO 1, I would have hoped that the game would have evolved to solve many of the problems with an Open PVP game and just looking around it seems like, a lot of the old issues are still here.

That said, I have specific questions/concerns and I'm curious to see how the community would address them for an old MO 1 player.

Question 1

Griefing newbies has always been an almost traditional element of Mortal Online 1 and it seems that it still is in Mortal Online 2. The issue is of course that new players try the game, see that its all about ganking them relentlessly and quit the game leaving the population struggling to grow. In the MO1 community, we debated this to death but the issue has always been coming up with a system that allows for open-world PvP and remains true to its namesake, but somehow protects new players sufficiently and or punishes sufficiently in a manner that prevents the practice.

My question is this. Has anything changed since MO1 in this regard? For better or worse?

Question 2
This game has always been about guilds/clans and groups, you achieve more together than you can alone and the dream of MO1 was to create a thriving community of player nations and scrappy guilds that would fight for territory and reputation. As a whole I'm not sure MO1 really ever achieved to the degree it wanted it largely because the population of the game just didn't grow large enough for this reality to materialize. As a whole the game was quite... empty for the most part. I think the vision was something closer to Eve-Online.

Have things changed for better or for worse?

Question 3
Finally, the big desire of MO1 was to be a new generation of Ultimate Online... aka player housing, open world PvP, PvE content, complex and interesting crafting, a thriving economy etc..

How close is MO2 at this point to that vision?

Thanks for any answers. I haven't made my decision yet, I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to an MMO in general but even if I was, not sure I have the level of commitment required to play MO 2.. That said Im still curious and I might still change my mind.

Oh and one follow question.

What is the state of the game from a technical stand point? Is it stable, working? Its hard to decern this from the internet, it seems a tremendous amount of people have technical problems with the game, network and such but its hard to know if that is a thing of the past or present.

Last edited:

Malmsteen

Jul 29, 2022
Are you fishing for negative feedback? Log in and see for yourself. Answers to these questions are going to be subjective. Some of the best games Ive ever played have been bashed and badly reviewed. You cant listen to anyone

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
I’m fishing for opinions, answers to my question. I don’t see feedback as either positive or negative, they are just opinions.

manure

May 7, 2022
Put it this way :
This is the ONLY game in the market that offers us the possibillity of full loot after killing another player.

With this sentence, you already know that this is the best game in the market currently.

Easy.

If I were you, id play it quickly before they destroy this game...

The developers are planning to make changes on the pk system (incoming penalties), so, its clear that the good days are coming to an end...

oykd

Nov 26, 2020
I’m fishing for opinions, answers to my question. I don’t see feedback as either positive or negative, they are just opinions.
mostly negative poorly optimazed game its not that hardcore how mo1 was world looks nice tho

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
While all 3 of the things you mentioned were done extremely incompetently in mortal online2 , I would say the game is an absolute travesty for other reasons.

To answer the question, I'm of the opinion that Mortal Online 1 players think the sequel is absolute garbage. The level of betrayal of the original fan base is something to be ashamed of and an absolute mockery. Star vault can never be forgiven for this outrage.

Reactions: Yeonan

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Are you fishing for negative feedback? Log in and see for yourself. Answers to these questions are going to be subjective. Some of the best games Ive ever played have been bashed and badly reviewed. You cant listen to anyone

Unironically no one cares what you thought was the best game you ever played. The only thing that matters is metrics. Things you can measure, no one can measure your feelings. MO2 has a concurrent 1300 player population which doesn't even fill one OSRS server. In terms of measuring MMO's, it's already hanging on by a thread. I know these are tough red-pills to swallow but you do your best.

As far to OP: Game has unfavorable mechanics towards solo, small groups and casual play styles. In fact most of the end-game content in the game is completely off-limits to 95% of the player base. Not only that but the game doesn't respect your time, not even a little. It requires massive time investments for trivial tasks in other games. It's really hard to ask friends to play this game with you when you understand that 19 out of 20 people who try it don't play past the first two weeks.

Mortal has a few things going for it but in my opinion the only reason it has any players at all is because there is no competition in the genre. That's changing soon. Henrik has maybe a calendar year at best to get the game in good shape, if there hasn't been massive concessions made to casual and solo playstyles by that time I would bet every dollar to my name that mo2 will have a sub 400 concurrent population as soon as the next 3d oriented open-world pvp game drops.9254d97a4f7b1f5734ac4557d4b7b579.jpg

Last edited:

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
Unironically no one cares what you thought was the best game you ever played. The only thing that matters is metrics. Things you can measure, no one can measure your feelings. MO2 has a concurrent 1300 player population which doesn't even fill one OSRS server. In terms of measuring MMO's, it's already hanging on by a thread. I know these are tough red-pills to swallow but you do your best.

As far to OP: Game has unfavorable mechanics towards solo, small groups and casual play styles. In fact most of the end-game content in the game is completely off-limits to 95% of the player base. Not only that but the game doesn't respect your time, not even a little. It requires massive time investments for trivial tasks in other games. It's really hard to ask friends to play this game with you when you understand that 19 out of 20 people who try it don't play past the first two weeks.

Mortal has a few things going for it but in my opinion the only reason it has any players at all is because there is no competition in the genre. That's changing soon. Henrik has maybe a calendar year at best to get the game in good shape, if there hasn't been massive concessions made to casual and solo playstyles by that time I would bet every dollar to my name that mo2 will have a sub 400 concurrent population as soon as the next 3d oriented open-world pvp game drops.View attachment 6001
It’s a fair point and I tend to agree. There is a lot of potential in this game as there was in MO 1, but if your going to cater exclusively to the die hard elite, your going to find that market way too small to carry an mmo.

Eve had similar issues but they pivoted becoming a game that any sort of player can find a niche in.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
It’s a fair point and I tend to agree. There is a lot of potential in this game as there was in MO 1, but if your going to cater exclusively to the die hard elite, your going to find that market way too small to carry an mmo.

Eve had similar issues but they pivoted becoming a game that any sort of player can find a niche in.

Eve had hard-coded anti-grief mechanics from day 1. It's called cloaking devices. Any noob has a 80-95% of chance of breaking through a 30 man gate-camp. As well as 25% of the map is an effective safe-zone. I don't know anything about MO1. You know why? Because I had the option to play DFUW or MO1 when it was out and like any sane player I chose DFUW. As well as the fact I never cancel my subs for EVE and OSRS. I was keenly aware of how poorly Mortal was handling player dynamics through word of mouth, the full-loot community isn't that large. So I never had the misfortune of playing MO1.

I don't have that option with MO2, there is no other option, but that won't be the case forever. I'm not trying to be overly critical of Henrik or MO2, but someone needs to say these things because while they are critical, they are also true.

However this game does have its accolades and deserves an applause for Henrik and Farmerjoe. There is a ton of unique content in the game, but most of your players will never get to see it, overwhelmingly so. You can't expect your community to police itself, it's the same dilemma as totally unmoderated anonymous speech; it's going to devolve to the lowest denominator because there is no consequence. It's your job to be the Sheppard of the game and code in ways for people to either have avoidance in being griefed or have a significant advantage while being griefed as well as consequences.

Attachments

• 1686673042105521.jpg
    1686673042105521.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 2

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
I played Eve Online consistently everyday for 10 years. Trust me when I say that cloaks where not going to save you from anyone committed to finding you.

I do however agree that there were lots of mechanics/equipment you could use to dramatically increase your chances of not getting ganked. Eve had the luxury of being a science-fiction game which meant you could invent technology that would mask as an illusion various mechanics that were designed to defend against unwanted PvP.

Cloaks is one example but you also had concepts like security levels in systems, anti-warp jamming gear, specialized ships, ecm jamming and all manner of defensive things like that.

Mortal Online being a fantasy game driven by a gritty dark ages setting, it’s harder to invent things that can be mask resulting in such attempts coming off as cheesy like lictors for example.

Still I think Eve is a good example of a game that gives PvP to those that seek it while giving those that don’t want PvP tools to avoid it.

The hardcore MO community however, in particular are over zealous about ensuring that avoiding PVP not be an option anywhere in the game, they want it to be a merciless gank fest where the only way to beat them is join them.

What MO vets don’t get is that there isn’t enough of them to sustain the game as a business and the very act of implementing such a ruthless systems ensures that the vast majority of mmo players that might play MO if there was a measure of safety never join/stay.

The end result is what MO2 is today, a game destined to fail as a business because of the very community that exists in the game today. Quite literally it’s self defeating, if the vets get what they want, the game has no chance of surviving.

Star vault knows this, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place but they must and I guarantee you they will compromise because not doing so means this game and company will be out of business long before they get to charging subscriptions.

It might die anyway, it all hinges on exactly what these compromises are, the details here matter a lot. Can they create a structure that gives PvP players what they want while offering other play styles that attract a much needed wider player base.

This game needs a lot more players than it has right now and a lot more players than the vet PvP community can muster.

They also need it fast, right now MO2 has the luxury of limited competition but that is going to change at some point and MO2 can’t afford to lose players given that there aren’t enough to sustain it already.

I disagree with one thing, the community can police itself, if you give them the tools to do so and you make it part of the game.

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Griefing in town is heavily reduced vs MO1. The cost is that the standing system is really lame and turns the game into a boredom simulator. In MO1 I played for years in tindrem, just enjoying in town conflict. Causing trouble to get fights. Finding other people grey to fight. Dueling and having people try to yoink the loot lol. There was a lot of griefing but if you understood what was going on it also created a lot of action that required much less of time commitment.

In MO2 town conflict is virtually gone. You go grey and aggro guards you lose a standing. If you get a murdercount you lose standing. And the only way to gain standing is parcel runs, which are just boring and a time sink. Guards are much more OP. So if you enjoyed quick conflict at GY's or something ,that's gone and the game isnt worth playing.

This is all good for not having your mount killed in town by some random naked with a 0 risk weapon. But its completely killed all other town conflict.

Outside town is similar to MO1, in that the only way to play the game is in a large guild, and mounted 95% of the time.

Expect to spend a ton of time doing nothing. MO2 is not about the PVP. So if you just want pvp the game is trash. And in my opinion, mo2's pvp itself is significantly less fun than MO1's.

If you are one of the people who enjoys the other aspects of a sandbox game, travel, transportation, etc you could enjoy MO2.

Personally, I will likely never play again. Was just checking the forum to see how bad the TC beta is lmao. I just find the time spent to fun ratio to be the worst of any game I can play.

Reactions: Teknique

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Griefing in town is heavily reduced vs MO1. The cost is that the standing system is really lame and turns the game into a boredom simulator. In MO1 I played for years in tindrem, just enjoying in town conflict. Causing trouble to get fights. Finding other people grey to fight. Dueling and having people try to yoink the loot lol. There was a lot of griefing but if you understood what was going on it also created a lot of action that required much less of time commitment.

In MO2 town conflict is virtually gone. You go grey and aggro guards you lose a standing. If you get a murdercount you lose standing. And the only way to gain standing is parcel runs, which are just boring and a time sink. Guards are much more OP. So if you enjoyed quick conflict at GY's or something ,that's gone and the game isnt worth playing.

This is all good for not having your mount killed in town by some random naked with a 0 risk weapon. But its completely killed all other town conflict.

Outside town is similar to MO1, in that the only way to play the game is in a large guild, and mounted 95% of the time.

Expect to spend a ton of time doing nothing. MO2 is not about the PVP. So if you just want pvp the game is trash. And in my opinion, mo2's pvp itself is significantly less fun than MO1's.

If you are one of the people who enjoys the other aspects of a sandbox game, travel, transportation, etc you could enjoy MO2.

Personally, I will likely never play again. Was just checking the forum to see how bad the TC beta is lmao. I just find the time spent to fun ratio to be the worst of any game I can play.
MO1 was a 400 concurrent(Or less) game for most of its life right? 400 people out of the entire internet gave it the time of day on a regular basis. And yes we all knew about it and yes we refused to play it. It's really a pathetic argument to want to go back to a system that was even worse then the current one by every metric (and the current one isn't much better). The game was abject chit, i'm really sorry to rain on your parade and nostalgia. The text-based loot on death MMO's i played in my history had MORE players then MO1.

This is the same thing that happened in DFUW. The veterans cried so hard for DF1 mechanics, and they got it, in fact they got the ENTIRE DF1 back and guess what? NO ONE PLAYED. Agon is as dead as a doorknob, they spent 100grand getting a game running that 0 people play regularly. Know why? Because DF1 was garbage, for many of the same reasons that MO1 was garbage. Just because you like it doesn't mean it sells and it has to sell to keep the doors open. If you didn't learn any lessons from watching Rise of Agon/DFUW fiasco then you just aren't smart enough to learn from other peoples mistakes bud; simple as.

I wonder how many people in MO2 are in the same boat as me, where they didn't play MO1, now are playing MO2 simply because there are no other options besides the games we've already played to death for a decade or in some cases two. I'll be here until there is a better game play, or until MO2 transforms into a good game because I will admit the game has potential but that's all it has at this point is "potential".

Attachments

• c6eef138d25e6a6b7d75c88f3c56a5c6.gif
    c6eef138d25e6a6b7d75c88f3c56a5c6.gif
    223.4 KB · Views: 0

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
MO1 was a 400 concurrent(Or less) game for most of its life right? 400 people out of the entire internet gave it the time of day on a regular basis. And yes we all knew about it and yes we refused to play it. It's really a pathetic argument to want to go back to a system that was even worse then the current one by every metric (and the current one isn't much better). The game was abject chit, i'm really sorry to rain on your parade and nostalgia. The text-based loot on death MMO's i played in my history had MORE players then MO1.

This is the same thing that happened in DFUW. The veterans cried so hard for DF1 mechanics, and they got it, in fact they got the ENTIRE DF1 back and guess what? NO ONE PLAYED. Agon is as dead as a doorknob, they spent 100grand getting a game running that 0 people play regularly. Know why? Because DF1 was garbage, for many of the same reasons that MO1 was garbage. Just because you like it doesn't mean it sells and it has to sell to keep the doors open. If you didn't learn any lessons from watching Rise of Agon/DFUW fiasco then you just aren't smart enough to learn from other peoples mistakes bud; simple as.

I wonder how many people in MO2 are in the same boat as me, where they didn't play MO1, now are playing MO2 simply because there are no other options besides the games we've already played to death for a decade or in some cases two. I'll be here until there is a better game play, or until MO2 transforms into a good game because I will admit the game has potential but that's all it has at this point is "potential".

I want to further elaborate that MO1/DF1 were not garbage because of their "Graphics" or "dated engines" because I know someone will raise that argument. Those games were garbage because of their mechanics and how they handled player interaction. The most successful game that has full-loot on death right now has graphics from late 90's and it runs on Java spaghetti code. How do we measure success? Simple: Concurrent player counts. Since we can measure that and we can't measure your fucking feelings.

Attachments

• duradel.png
    duradel.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 2

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

It doesn’t really matter how popular the game was. The vast majority of people are dumb as hell.

“All knew about it” is definitely a stretch. I never really met anyone in real life or on the internet that had heard of the game. It’s definitely irrelevant though I think most people are simply just wrong most of the time.

The game felt amazing amazing from the first person. That’s really the key difference. The avg player however wants a game that looks good from the 3rd person and that’s how we ended up with this fundamentally trash game called mortal online 2.

Even if all the other systems weren’t trash in this game which they are. The core first person experience is garbage and a betrayal of the original. I don’t even consider this game a sequel. I consider it some trash Frankenstein of random dickheads garbage ideas.

All of this is to say. The average player wants the game to be as average as possible to project their averageness back to themselves. Concurrent players is a metric of how average the game is. Certainly in this genre at least. “Janky animations” is the excuse to gut first person games and turn them into a shell of a game.

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
Time will tell if anything comes of MO2. While the forums can’t be taken as a consensus, they don’t paint the game in a very good light.

Star vault however is one of the few hopes left of bringing old school open world PVP to the fans of such games and they seem determined to give it there best effort, for me that was reason enough to buy the game and support the effort.

Not sure how much I’m going to play, I will see how the experience is for myself but it’s my hope that I can find some of the magic here.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Ph
It doesn’t really matter how popular the game was. The vast majority of people are dumb as hell.

“All knew about it” is definitely a stretch. I never really met anyone in real life or on the internet that had heard of the game. It’s definitely irrelevant though I think most people are simply just wrong most of the time.

The game felt amazing amazing from the first person. That’s really the key difference. The avg player however wants a game that looks good from the 3rd person and that’s how we ended up with this fundamentally trash game called mortal online 2.

Even if all the other systems weren’t trash in this game which they are. The core first person experience is garbage and a betrayal of the original. I don’t even consider this game a sequel. I consider it some trash Frankenstein of random dickheads garbage ideas.

All of this is to say. The average player wants the game to be as average as possible to project their averageness back to themselves. Concurrent players is a metric of how average the game is. Certainly in this genre at least. “Janky animations” is the excuse to gut first person games and turn them into a shell of a game.
Wow is this Deju Vu? It's almost like DF1 Vets made the same argument you're making. Where are those DF1 vets though? I've looked all around Rise of Agon and I can't find them. Oh? They're here? What do you mean they're playing MO2? Do you mean to tell me DF1 is dead? But those guys said it was "Perfect" and they'd play even if it was only just themselves!

Rise of Agon is still up, go check it out. You'll fit right in. Lmao.

Yea so in the real world numbers do matter, and they matter alot, because devs require money for work. I don't think we will see 2k player averages a month after TC is launched and even if we do see 2k player averages that's not impressive at all and there is no sub. Given that unreal is never going to be able to fit more then 2k on a map without issues I think it's fine but if you ever want to advance MO2 past a single populated server (or map) you'll need to change the game dramatically to have more mass appeal and if you don't it's going to be a slow hemorrhage until the next studio releases their attempt at making 3D Ultima and then all your "veterans" will be doing the exact same shit the DF1 vets did. Abandon their dead game for a more populated one.

The only way to win is by actually making a good game. One where people sub for years, not quit in the first two weeks. Otherwise it ends the same way all the other failed projects did.

Attachments

• lm.jpg
    lm.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1

xguild

Jun 30, 2023
Ph

Wow is this Deju Vu? It's almost like DF1 Vets made the same argument you're making. Where are those DF1 vets though? I've looked all around Rise of Agon and I can't find them. Oh? They're here? What do you mean they're playing MO2? Do you mean to tell me DF1 is dead? But those guys said it was "Perfect" and they'd play even if it was only just themselves!

Yea so in the real world numbers do matter, and they matter alot, because devs require money for work. I don't think we will see 2k player averages a month after TC is launched and even if we do see 2k player averages that's not impressive at all and there is no sub. Given that unreal is never going to be able to fit more then 2k on a map without issues I think it's fine but if you ever want to advance MO2 past a single populated server (or map) you'll need to change the game dramatically to have more mass appeal and if you don't it's going to be a slow hemorrhage until the next studio releases their attempt at making 3D Ultima and then all your "veterans" will be doing the exact same shit the DF1 vets did. Abandon their dead game for a more populated one.

The only way to win is by actually making a good game. One where people sub for years, not quit in the first two weeks. Otherwise it ends the same way all the other failed projects did.
I tend to agree, if the hardcore vets get what they want, MO2 doesn’t stand a chance. Compromise and making the game more appealing to a wider audience is nescessary. The details of how this is achieved, will determine success or failure.

It can’t be an anything goes gank fest, over and over for decades it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it’s impossible to have a successful mmo under such a rule set. There has to be order, tools to avoid PvP and uncompromised safety in town. No PvP game has have been successful under any other conditions.

Starvault knows it, vets know it.. everyone knows it. It’s wishful thinking to suggest otherwise.

Malmsteen

Jul 29, 2022

Mortal has a few things going for it but in my opinion the only reason it has any players at all is because there is no competition in the genre. That's changing soon. Henrik has maybe a calendar year at best to get the game in good shape, if there hasn't been massive concessions made to casual and solo playstyles by that time I would bet every dollar to my name that mo2 will have a sub 400 concurrent population as soon as the next 3d oriented open-world pvp game drops.View attachment 6001
Lets talk in a year then and see whos swallowing what

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
I tend to agree, if the hardcore vets get what they want, MO2 doesn’t stand a chance. Compromise and making the game more appealing to a wider audience is nescessary. The details of how this is achieved, will determine success or failure.

It can’t be an anything goes gank fest, over and over for decades it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it’s impossible to have a successful mmo under such a rule set. There has to be order, tools to avoid PvP and uncompromised safety in town. No PvP game has have been successful under any other conditions.

Starvault knows it, vets know it.. everyone knows it. It’s wishful thinking to suggest otherwise.

I feel like i've talked enough shit without providing any solution so I have a simple one that models after EVE's low security space. I am positive that this change would greatly improve player retention and adoption. In fact I would bet on it; increasingly safe/dangerous areas from starter cities makes sense. Perhaps in a 2km radius there are guards that patrol of risar commander or veteran bandit strength, perhaps even groups of guards. Then outside that there are weaker guards and then finally in dungeons and in areas like jungle, talus, GK there are no guard patrols.

Noobs shouldn't be un-gankable but blues should have a hard edge when fighting reds close to cities. The best incentive to remain blue is a direct buff to their performance in PVP either with stats or RNG guards. If a noob is farming the graveyard and he gets attacked and he gets lucky enough to get a guard patrol he should have a very good chance of killing a veteran player that also outgears him or even two players.

Now this change only lets the noobs have a chance around the cities. The other areas of the game that crushes new players/casual players or solo player retention rate is that all of the end-game content is off-limits...mainly because there isn't that much of it. So even if they make it past their initial learning curve they will come up against a brick-wall and that brick-wall is camped nearly 24/7 by veteran guilds. Every chokepoint scouted from a stronghold. Even obscure risar camps are farmed on cool-down. A simple fix is to just keep adding more dungeons and spawns. The unreal engine can support around 2k players on a single map before it takes a shit. So you need to balance your maps around 2k players.

Attachments

• 1666854712338978.jpg
    1666854712338978.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Haxanmancer

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Ph

All I can really say with any certainty is that the vast majority of vocal complaints about mortal 1 come from people who didn’t play the game. Having a strong opinion on something you didn’t play is beyond ludicrous. In your case you may have dabbled in the game but most people haven’t. Very comical when people with no context have strong opinions on a game they never played. Really a maximum on the ignorance-stupidity continuum.

Anyway we have this watered down garbage called mo2. It has burned through the mortal life cycle in 1-2 years which in the previous game took 10. The only reason this garbage still has players is because it’s practically free to play. Half the player count is probably rmting and cheating to make a living.

The real issue with mortal 2 is that it sold its soul for fame. The original community is completely alienated and we’re awaiting this games arrival into hell.

Basically what I’m saying is mortal 1 was a better game and if your analysis is more players = better game in all cases, then that is far too simplistic to be actually accurate. It might be practical but nothing is ever that straight forward other than Henrik being a dumb dumb.

Oh and weirdly enough it’s only the hardcore player base from mo1 that can tolerate this game. The avg player from mo1 is either not playing or playing reluctantly with a few exceptions that actually like it.

Last edited: