Let's put the MOUNT back into Mounted Magery

FreeHorses

Jul 2, 2020
1: Quit trolling, you have no idea what they can code or can't, this is feedback and suggestions, stay on topic.
2: for the same reason we can't cast while turning? balance dude, fat mages can't get high dex, which would balance them vs higher dex mages, dex also affects all movement, so having dex affect being able to turn while casting makes sense.
3: this topic isn't about MA, once again, stay on topic.
so you want to balance mounted magery around dex mages...

Jandles

Feb 14, 2022
so you want to balance mounted magery around dex mages...
I want mounted magery to not suck, and this is my suggestion for it, it would change nothing about fat mages except also allowing them to turn cast (albeit not as well as any mage with higher dex which is fine because your spells hit harder) at the expense of longer cast times, it makes it balanced while also making playing a mounted mage more enjoyable.

Kreedee

Mar 17, 2022
I think the problem is mostly MA being way too good at killing horses. Currently it's easier to gank solo or small groups than it is to escape, and i think that makes for bad game dynamics and reward people that only want to grief other players to the brink of quitting way too much.

Killing horses should take skill and coordination. Both for MA and MM.

I think a good solution is to decrease mount speed to 2 every time you are casting a spell or loading an arrow.

At the current state of mounted combat you either fight or you just die, there is no counter to griefers or any mechanic that makes griefing take skill.

Even if you have horse armor that allows you to outheal a solo MA he can basically just keep shooting until your armor breaks which is surprisingly quick even on 1k+ durability horse armor.

Furthermore there seems to be some sort of bug that makes MMs horse drop speed when you are spamming heals on your horse while being shot with arrows. Idk why that is or it's something i'm doing wrong somehow, but it is.

If you want actual good gameplay you should make ganking take coordination, cutting people off cus you've locked down a narrow path with a few guys and not just "let me get to this horse as quick as possible so i can pump 100 arrows in to it with 0 effort or counter".

Jandles

Feb 14, 2022
I think the problem is mostly MA being way too good at killing horses. Currently it's easier to gank solo or small groups than it is to escape, and i think that makes for bad game dynamics and reward people that only want to grief other players to the brink of quitting way too much.

Killing horses should take skill and coordination. Both for MA and MM.

I think a good solution is to decrease mount speed to 2 every time you are casting a spell or loading an arrow.

At the current state of mounted combat you either fight or you just die, there is no counter to griefers or any mechanic that makes griefing take skill.

Even if you have horse armor that allows you to outheal a solo MA he can basically just keep shooting until your armor breaks which is surprisingly quick even on 1k+ durability horse armor.

Furthermore there seems to be some sort of bug that makes MMs horse drop speed when you are spamming heals on your horse while being shot with arrows. Idk why that is or it's something i'm doing wrong somehow, but it is.

If you want actual good gameplay you should make ganking take coordination, cutting people off cus you've locked down a narrow path with a few guys and not just "let me get to this horse as quick as possible so i can pump 100 arrows in to it with 0 effort or counter".
Good suggestion, but also not entirely on topic, MA is another issue altogether, while I think archers should be the counter to mages, I think the main issue here is that it feels awful to play as a mounted mage, you constantly get stuck on rocks, trees, or go off cliffs if you don't cancel your casts, while both controlled riding and dexterity (which is suppose to make riding a horse better) get completely invalidated by being locked in a single direction.

Jandles

Feb 14, 2022
I would be fine with 1/4 damage&healing while mounted but no turning is just a garbage way to balance. worst idea ever.
A good middleground could be to lower healing/damage if turning while casting, and full damage/healing if you straightline while casting, we need something better than what we have now, its atrocious.

Reactions: CrgHck

Kreedee

Mar 17, 2022
Good suggestion, but also not entirely on topic, MA is another issue altogether, while I think archers should be the counter to mages, I think the main issue here is that it feels awful to play as a mounted mage, you constantly get stuck on rocks, trees, or go off cliffs if you don't cancel your casts, while both controlled riding and dexterity (which is suppose to make riding a horse better) get completely invalidated by being locked in a single direction.
I think it's very much on topic. I understand MM is clunky and i agree, but in terms of balancing it i think overall game mechanics are currently much more important than just MM tweaks.

Jandles

Feb 14, 2022
I think it's very much on topic. I understand MM is clunky and i agree, but in terms of balancing it i think overall game mechanics are currently much more important than just MM tweaks.
Not on topic of this thread, this thread is about mounted magery and its mechanics being shit in its current form, not comparing it to archery, start another thread if you wish to compare it to archery (which I do agree they need to balance, but again, not the point of this thread)

Kreedee

Mar 17, 2022
Not on topic of this thread, this thread is about mounted magery and its mechanics being shit in its current form, not comparing it to archery, start another thread if you wish to compare it to archery (which I do agree they need to balance, but again, not the point of this thread)
It's basically been compared to other combat types throughout this whole thread which makes sence since i guess you could say comparing is a pretty key component to making it enjoyable to play lmao. Chill mate.

Jandles

Feb 14, 2022
It's basically been compared to other combat types throughout this whole thread which makes sence since i guess you could say comparing is a pretty key component to making it enjoyable to play lmao. Chill mate.
Thats because theres a bunch of trolls who can't stay on topic in this forum, which is probably why devs don't even check it because every thread gets derailed from what it was made for, look at the original post, stay on topic regarding that, its simple isn't it?

Kreedee

Mar 17, 2022
Thats because theres a bunch of trolls who can't stay on topic in this forum, which is probably why devs don't even check it because every thread gets derailed from what it was made for, look at the original post, stay on topic regarding that, its simple isn't it?
Or maybe you just have a hard time comprehending how different components affect each other.

• Haha
Reactions: Jandles

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
Hello,

I'm somewhat new to MO and currently play what's considered a Mounted Mage. However, not much about the skills makes the build feel very "mount" friendly.

To effectively play a Mounted Mage you need to dedicate 200 Action Skills purely to mounted Action Skills; 100 in Controlled Riding and another 100 in Mounted Magery.

What does 200 Action Skills get you?

• The ability for your spells to do full damage

What does it not get you?

• Normal casting speed
  • Can't turn while casting
  • Spells are easier to interrupt when mounted
I've been bitching about this for a while now.
I used to play MA in beta and would bitch about how I need 200 points just to do damage as a MA. It just dosnt even make sense. The bow is not changing just because I'm on a horse. The only thing you get for both MA and MM are just your true damage you should be able to do. It also dose not make sense that MA get the ability to turn the horse with their legs and use bot hands to fight. I mean yes it is possible to do that that is how the Mongols did it.
I understand Ecumenical and Spiritism are based around not moving while casting. But then like you said, you legit get nothing from the points but your true damage output.

I agree that the skill should at least input one of the options. I would rather have it be turning over the ability to cast at a normal speed. Because lets be honest being a mage is op as fuck, You ignore armor and do masses amounts of damage. With the ability to turn and cast at 2x longer speed it would be balanced IMO. Cause if you go full Spiritism like I intend to do once I get EP lore. I will be useless as a mfer on a horse bc they spells are an instant cast. Anyone could out play me as a spiritist just by changing direction, They would not even need any other riding skill other then normal riding to render my whole 700point build useless.

Reactions: Jandles and zozo

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
You can't have quick charging spells and maneuverability because that would be over powered as fuck. Can you imagine how hard it would be to kill a serpentineing horse with a mage pumping heals into it faster than an archer can shoot? It's fine the way it is, imo.

Fine the way it is where you can pump arrows into the mage and they just have to suck it up? Mages are gimped.

solarwarden

Jan 27, 2022
They should just make mage spells cast from horseback take longer each time you turn.. small interrupts basically. Because it's extremely clunky to play in it's current form and the current power level could be maintained while making the experience better for everyone.

Reactions: Atom

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
They should just make mage spells cast from horseback take longer each time you turn.. small interrupts basically. Because it's extremely clunky to play in it's current form and the current power level could be maintained while making the experience better for everyone.

That's fair. The real problem with mortal interrupts is that they completely reset the spell cast. If the hits and horse movement only delayed that cast instead of cancelling it then it would take a lot of frustration out of the magic schools without breaking the reason for having it in the first place.

D

Deleted member 44

Nothing wrong with MM. Expand outside of ecumenical spells.

Reactions: Tzone