Let's put the MOUNT back into Mounted Magery

zozo

Feb 23, 2022
Hello,

I'm somewhat new to MO and currently play what's considered a Mounted Mage. However, not much about the skills makes the build feel very "mount" friendly.

To effectively play a Mounted Mage you need to dedicate 200 Action Skills purely to mounted Action Skills; 100 in Controlled Riding and another 100 in Mounted Magery.

What does 200 Action Skills get you?

• The ability for your spells to do full damage

What does it not get you?

• Normal casting speed
  • Can't turn while casting
  • Spells are easier to interrupt when mounted

If a Mounted Mage is expected to put 200 primary points to use their spells we should AT LEAST be able to control the horse while casting, reduce/remove the casting penalty, and have the SAME interrupt chance compared to others without the points.

• What's the point of getting CONTROLLED riding if we're unable to efficiently control the horse?
  • What's the point of getting MOUNTED Magery if we can't perform our spells like normal mages?

I understand things were different in the beta with Mounted Mages but from the perspective of someone playing MO after launch Mages feel incredibly inferior compared to the Mounted Archer abilities.

In conclusion,

Let's consider making Mounted Mages master of the Mount.

EDIT: Added the fact that spells are easier to interrupt while mounted.

Last edited:

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
You can't have quick charging spells and maneuverability because that would be over powered as fuck. Can you imagine how hard it would be to kill a serpentineing horse with a mage pumping heals into it faster than an archer can shoot? It's fine the way it is, imo.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Lets have 135 int fat mages flame stike over and over at normal speed while being faster then any non mounted dex mage.

We petitioned for mounted magery skill to be added to the game to balance out mounted mage and tridbrid mounted builds. Mounted mage is still good on mount.

You dont need to turn as a mm either you have a huge degree that you can look and aim.

Reactions: Archiel

zozo

Feb 23, 2022
If you put 200 Action Points into a skill, that skill should be more powerful than letting your ability do normal damage.

Currently right now if you want to cast anything on a mount as a mage you must have your speed and direction set. If someone decides to turn, you better hope that spell is almost done charging because you're not turning until it is or you need to waste that cast time. Let's hope there are no rocks nearby to get stuck in.

The amount of time you need to spend charging a spell just to cancel it because you're forced to turn is absurd. If a chase was being done on an open field with no trees/rocks/cliffs/etc then it's fine; but now that person you're chasing can easily do a 180 and you're either left canceling the cast to turn or go off running straight for 4 seconds to turn around.

If you're in a forest it is almost impossible to get proper casts charged without hitting a tree. It's SO clunky.

For a 135 int fat mage to flamestrike you over and over you need to be within 1310 units of the mage... that's incredibly close and deserving of close-range attacks.

Reactions: Jandles

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
If you put 200 Action Points into a skill, that skill should be more powerful than letting your ability do normal damage.

Currently right now if you want to cast anything on a mount as a mage you must have your speed and direction set. If someone decides to turn, you better hope that spell is almost done charging because you're not turning until it is or you need to waste that cast time. Let's hope there are no rocks nearby to get stuck in.

The amount of time you need to spend charging a spell just to cancel it because you're forced to turn is absurd. If a chase was being done on an open field with no trees/rocks/cliffs/etc then it's fine; but now that person you're chasing can easily do a 180 and you're either left canceling the cast to turn or go off running straight for 4 seconds to turn around.

If you're in a forest it is almost impossible to get proper casts charged without hitting a tree. It's SO clunky.

For a 135 int fat mage to flamestrike you over and over you need to be within 1310 units of the mage... that's incredibly close and deserving of close-range attacks.
The skill does make you more powerful. Do you not get it? You are able to do the most burst and healing in the game while moving at 800 movespeed if you want to.

Stop forgetting that there is a horse wheel-chairing you around that foot mages do not have. Plus a mounted mage can run off at full speed, out of your range, charge a spell up, then strafe you with that flamestrike hitscan. He can do this at will non-stop. Of course the weak link right now is the horse itself being super easy to kill, but out of the mounteds the MM can actually increase the survivability of their horse (unlike the other two) via heals and purify.

Is mounted magery in need of adjustments? Sure, but trying to act like the current MM skill does not unlock a ton of playability for mages is a little disingenuous.

For fear of sweeping nerfs I will not explain exactly what mounted mages can do atm, but trust me, they are quite valuable to have.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
agreed mounted magic sucks at this point. You're literally better off just hoping off your horse, casting a few spells then getting back on.

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
I think the problem comes from the introduction of Mounted Magery as a skill and it appears the sole purpose was to create enough of a points investment that certain characters could no longer fit this in their build.

From the perspective of playing MO1 for a decade purely as a mage this hinders my build especially since we're likely to see all the schools of magic this time around. Not being able to turn while casting is a good balance to force a choice between charging a spell and maneuvering.

Cast speed would be a nice change but maybe it's needed to balance PvP so you can't just heal your horse faster than anyone can damage it.

Reactions: Calcal

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
If a Mounted Mage is expected to put 200 primary points to use their spells we should AT LEAST be able to control the horse while casting and reduce the casting penalty compared to others without the points.
..........then whats the point of playing a foot mage?

Reactions: Piet

zozo

Feb 23, 2022
I see some merit to some of the arguments made against what I proposed, except the ability to keep casting while turning.

The gameplay mechanic of *start casting*.... "oh wait, there is a small rock coming up and my giant horse can't traverse over this pebble" .... *stop casting to move 15 degrees to the left* .... *start casting again* is simply clunky; and it's exacerbated by the fact that there is INCREASED casting time while mounted.

Mounted Mages should be able to continue to cast while turning or at the very least the cast is slowed while you're turning and goes back to normal speed when you're not turning anymore.

zozo

Feb 23, 2022
I forgot to add that the concentration skill gets a hefty nerf while mounted as well... So now you have to cast a spell that takes 2x as long to cast with a 70% chance of being interrupted while casting.

I have polled many people (MAs, FF, Mages, etc) about that state of Mounted Magery and the consensus overwhelmingly agrees that Mounted Magery needs some love.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
A big no. Many of us top tier mounted mages WANTED it to be like this. This would completely wreck the game.

Are you the real Tumor? I'd be surprised.

Wel. If you are, why would you want this if it nerfs mounted mages? I would like to understand your thinking.

tumor

Apr 22, 2021
Are you the real Tumor? I'd be surprised.

Wel. If you are, why would you want this if it nerfs mounted mages? I would like to understand your thinking.
I am.
Why wouldnt i want this? Mounted mages were and still are very strong. If normal casting times + turning while casting were added this class would be the god class. I played this for a really long time but i am not biased.

fuatX

Feb 5, 2022
Bakti- Morin Khur- Fabernum
You can't have quick charging spells and maneuverability because that would be over powered as fuck. Can you imagine how hard it would be to kill a serpentineing horse with a mage pumping heals into it faster than an archer can shoot? It's fine the way it is, imo.

maybe longer cooldown for heals only can be ez solutıon

A big no. Many of us top tier mounted mages WANTED it to be like this. This would completely wreck the game.

if horse archers not ruining the game this cant be lol

Leprechaun

Feb 4, 2022
To be fair if a Mounted archer is able to aim and Turn and fire, then why cant a Mage Turn his horse while casting ? If anything a Mage shouldn't loose focus of his spell while the horse is changing direction, where as a MA should get aim disorientation if turning and Aiming.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
I don't understand how it is fair that Mage on a horse combat vs Archer on a horse happens like this:

A. Mage sees archer, begins casting spell (4 seconds at least cast time).

B. Archer sees mage, instantly aims and shoots an arrow, and as the mage is charging they won't be able to dodge, so it is likely to hit, dealing like 50+ damage to the usually weakly armored mage (at least any dex mage) in any case a lot of damage.

C. The archer either interrupt the mage (70% chance) or then shoots 2-3 times more before the mage finishes casting, which bring the total interruption chance close to 100.

D. Even if the archer would not interrupt the mage somehow, the mage is likely dead at this point, if not they now have to start turning their horse and try to hit whatever spell they picked. No matter what it is, it won't instakill nor the archer or the horse (not even 2 hits would do that often or 3). And after that the mage either flees or dies if they attempt to cast again.

E. Profit??

Also it is just abysmal as a mage to try to kill PvE enemies, while you charge your spells the enemies unleash and regenerate back way too easily, whereas with a MA you can just inficircle. It is a circus to play mage in any way alone, talk about being mounted. Man I hate it as I really want to play mage and I like going solo, but cannot deal with even like one risar myself as I cannot block and they take like 10 spells to die.

Drastical changes are needed.

zozo

Feb 23, 2022
I don't understand how it is fair that Mage on a horse combat vs Archer on a horse happens like this:

A. Mage sees archer, begins casting spell (4 seconds at least cast time).

B. Archer sees mage, instantly aims and shoots an arrow, and as the mage is charging they won't be able to dodge, so it is likely to hit, dealing like 50+ damage to the usually weakly armored mage (at least any dex mage) in any case a lot of damage.

C. The archer either interrupt the mage (70% chance) or then shoots 2-3 times more before the mage finishes casting, which bring the total interruption chance close to 100.

D. Even if the archer would not interrupt the mage somehow, the mage is likely dead at this point, if not they now have to start turning their horse and try to hit whatever spell they picked. No matter what it is, it won't instakill nor the archer or the horse (not even 2 hits would do that often or 3). And after that the mage either flees or dies if they attempt to cast again.

E. Profit??

Also it is just abysmal as a mage to try to kill PvE enemies, while you charge your spells the enemies unleash and regenerate back way too easily, whereas with a MA you can just inficircle. It is a circus to play mage in any way alone, talk about being mounted. Man I hate it as I really want to play mage and I like going solo, but cannot deal with even like one risar myself as I cannot block and they take like 10 spells to die.

Drastical changes are needed.

100% spot on.

Granted, this game isn't built around 1v1's, but the mechanics of how Mounted Magery works is borderline unplayable.

Leprechaun

Feb 4, 2022
I remember back in the day Henriks dream was to create a Modern day Ultima Online game, The concept is here, but he seems to be swaying well away from the original design that Solo play was possible, a Challenge but Possible. seems to be catering for the Larger grp style play, forgetting not everyone enjoys that Zerg style. A mage / healer in his own Right should be able to solo, Out heal any potential damage etc. A mounted mage having that advantage of speed a to go on with it. I could almost understand the casting speed being reduced while Mounted, but not being able to control your horse while casting is a Joke. the fact that a Mage / Healer cant out heal a 1 on 1 situation also is a Joke. Why should a swords man be able to come up and spank you 3 times before you can land a heal (if your not interrupted delaying that cast further) a Mage / Healer in a 1 v 1 situation should be feared not looked as a easy kill.