Fish encyclopedia

Balvrikk

Jun 30, 2020
DAMN THATS CRAZY THEY NERFED FISHING NO WAY!??...

Wow it's almost like I called this weeks ago. Blame yourselves 🤣
No, I don't think you can blame us. There isn't any information on this forum on how to catch anything besides the 8 or so common fish. Black whisker being an exception I suppose. Not like we were blabbing about how much money we are making with all these fish beside whisker fish again. But I'll take the blame because I have probably been the most open

Nenju

May 28, 2020
sausage lake
Henrik did say they would rather have something underpowered and bring it up then overpowered so let's hope they actually do something about it instead of just "talking about it" like he does.
ye but thing is that with changing or "simply" adding low tier fish all over the place makes me wonder how they slowly "buff" it in the future meaning no "simple" change on vendor price but rather change the whole fishlist at certain depths etc. meaning new research each time

Reactions: Balvrikk

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
What I think is problematic, and has always been problematic in MO and in this iteration is the arbitrary vendor value of items which have no other inherent value. An items vendor value should be based on the usefulness of the item, and it should always be more profitable to sell it to another player who can make use of it or it's parts because they have an actual use.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Seems like it, tested to 100 fishing and lots of those fish areas have now been changed to Herbeus/Trudis/Canna zones now. Apparently get Canna everywhere XD
everyone collectively throw up at this statement. God damnit Henrik.

Herius

Administrator
May 28, 2020
The fishing skill level does not affect what fishes you can catch.

And no fishing areas have been changed, nor has the setup for depth and bait etc for any fishes except Herbeus, Trudis and Canna, and those values are still being tweaked.

So all fishing info you gathered so far are still valid, excluding the above named fishes.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021

And no fishing areas have been changed, nor has the setup for depth and bait etc for any fishes except Herbeus, Trudis and Canna, and those values are still being tweaked.

So all fishing info you gathered so far are still valid, excluding the above named fishes.
Basically you just drastically reduced all of the catch rates for anything that isn't a Herbeus, Trudis, or Canna. Im not sure that's the best way to go about it. All you're doing is making it take longer to catch the fish, and that does nothing to stop botters or really, really dedicated players from just afk farming meduli for the same fish. Perhaps a better solution would be to place the rare fish in hard to reach locations that can become contested areas ? You do the same for all the other resources, so I don't see why you can't do the same for fishing.

Virin

Nov 20, 2020
No, I don't think you can blame us. There isn't any information on this forum on how to catch anything besides the 8 or so common fish. Black whisker being an exception I suppose. Not like we were blabbing about how much money we are making with all these fish beside whisker fish again. But I'll take the blame because I have probably been the most open
I don't necessarily blame the people in this forum post. I blame the people that told everybody and were open about information. Multiple streamers were teaching people how to catch whiskerfish among other things. There were guilds blabbing about how to catch other specific fish as well (better than whisker)

Henrik said on stream himself that they nerfed fishing because of the data they gathered from people fishing. Obviously if you have a ton of people (which there were) making a ton of gold doing something, ofc it's going to get nerfed into oblivion.

Would it still have gotten nerfed if there were substantially less people who knew? Maybe. Probably not as hard, though.

You gotta understand that a lot of these people that have come from other games don't realize the importance of 'knowledge is power' in a game like this. Telling other people isn't malicious intent but whenever everybody knows how to make a ton of gold in a game like this it becomes a huge issue.

RIP fishing. Still 'safe' decent gold and a good time waster I suppose.

Kthulu

Jan 14, 2022
Honestly seems to be more RNG now than ever. One day cycle i get barely anything and the next day same setups i net myself a good amount. For some fish time of day only last like 15 minutes. Deep sea fishing is dead at this point, There is no point when 75% of the fish you catch are herb and it takes much longer than anything in coastal cities to reel in. I would prefer if the specific bait just takes longer to catch the fish and depth to be more specific on the weight of the fish caught instead of random small fish biting my Very large hooks...

Daedylus

Sep 8, 2021
Honestly at the moment, fishing is lack luster. As it stands it feels like the only way your going to consistently catch any valuable fish is if you find a bug spot that the tweaked fish don't spawn at. That being said, I find it ironic that there was a poll to add fishing spots on the map, but the only one that was added was the turtle that can be fished up anywhere, fresh or salt.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
What I think is problematic, and has always been problematic in MO and in this iteration is the arbitrary vendor value of items which have no other inherent value. An items vendor value should be based on the usefulness of the item, and it should always be more profitable to sell it to another player who can make use of it or it's parts because they have an actual use.
this a bajillion percent.

mats shouldnt really exist for vendor trash, they should have usefulness to players and be desirable on the broker

-barcode

JohnOldman

Jan 6, 2022

As a newcomer to the game (i started playing 2 weeks ago) that was enjoying the fishing system quite a bit this change feels like a punch in the gut,

Obviously the amount of gold you could make on the high end was nonsensical but this change indirectly nerf new fish discovery for new players the most.

Not only there are people that fished for years in MO1 and months in MO2 but now the amount of time needed to discover new fishes by guess just increased by tenfold with this change, you may spend half an hour to an hour on the right spot with the right setup only to get unlucky and miss a fish type unknown to you.

This change only makes me just want to fish on one of the main coastal cities and never give it a go to anything else unless I'm being heavily guarded and/or instructed by a guild

Experienced players and their guilds are going to contest and build houses in the most profitable fishing zones before the newbies know how to catch any other fish than a Herbeus or a Canna, In order to fish outside of cities you will need to invest in a horse to carry the weight and advanced fishing gear that is only sold in the middle of the jungle because why not, you will become a loot piñata anywhere you go to fish, many players will kill your horse and loot the most valuable ones with the only penalty of a couple of minutes being seen as a criminal by other players, if they can afford the murder count they will also kill you, making your fishing trip a huge net negative investment money and time wise.

The risk versus reward with fishing is only there if you already know what to fish, where to fish, when to fish and what bait, hook and depth to use.

A few suggestions would be adding a couple more of the advanced fishing vendor to the continent so new players don't need to risk that much whenever they go exploring with fishing gear. Also, something akin to lost pages of a fisherman journal would be nice as a catch up mechanic for new players, each page having lore and clues about how to catch an specific fish type, these could trop in content surrounding fishing spots like bandits camps near bodies of water or as messages in a bottle for example, I'm quite sure finding one of these would incite many new players to try and enjoy the fishing system.

Virin

Nov 20, 2020
As a newcomer to the game (i started playing 2 weeks ago) that was enjoying the fishing system quite a bit this change feels like a punch in the gut,

Obviously the amount of gold you could make on the high end was nonsensical but this change indirectly nerf new fish discovery for new players the most.

Not only there are people that fished for years in MO1 and months in MO2 but now the amount of time needed to discover new fishes by guess just increased by tenfold with this change, you may spend half an hour to an hour on the right spot with the right setup only to get unlucky and miss a fish type unknown to you.

This change only makes me just want to fish on one of the main coastal cities and never give it a go to anything else unless I'm being heavily guarded and/or instructed by a guild

Experienced players and their guilds are going to contest and build houses in the most profitable fishing zones before the newbies know how to catch any other fish than a Herbeus or a Canna, In order to fish outside of cities you will need to invest in a horse to carry the weight and advanced fishing gear that is only sold in the middle of the jungle because why not, you will become a loot piñata anywhere you go to fish, many players will kill your horse and loot the most valuable ones with the only penalty of a couple of minutes being seen as a criminal by other players, if they can afford the murder count they will also kill you, making your fishing trip a huge net negative investment money and time wise.

The risk versus reward with fishing is only there if you already know what to fish, where to fish, when to fish and what bait, hook and depth to use.

A few suggestions would be adding a couple more of the advanced fishing vendor to the continent so new players don't need to risk that much whenever they go exploring with fishing gear. Also, something akin to lost pages of a fisherman journal would be nice as a catch up mechanic for new players, each page having lore and clues about how to catch an specific fish type, these could trop in content surrounding fishing spots like bandits camps near bodies of water or as messages in a bottle for example, I'm quite sure finding one of these would incite many new players to try and enjoy the fishing system.
I understand you're new and that's fine, but, the wonderful part of this game is figuring things out. You need to realize that the steel armor, weapon...etc you're using took months of figuring out how to make. Nobody told anybody how to make steel. People had to figure it out in the first game. BTW if you don't know how to make steel, look it up. And yes players figured it out.

People were finding new things years and years later in the first game.

Everything in the game should be that way.

Hints aren't good. If you or anybody else wants to learn secrets or how to do something that isn't openly known, take the time to do your own testing. That's the whole point.

JohnOldman

Jan 6, 2022
I understand you're new and that's fine, but, the wonderful part of this game is figuring things out. You need to realize that the steel armor, weapon...etc you're using took months of figuring out how to make. Nobody told anybody how to make steel. People had to figure it out in the first game. BTW if you don't know how to make steel, look it up. And yes players figured it out.

People were finding new things years and years later in the first game.

Everything in the game should be that way.

Hints aren't good. If you or anybody else wants to learn secrets or how to do something that isn't openly known, take the time to do your own testing. That's the whole point.

IMO your POV is only valid when everyone involved starts from the same point. With this change veteran players had years and years to figure stuff at x10 speed compared to the live version of MO2, so if nothing changes even after years to come veterans from MO1 will still be way ahead on the knowledge curve, one thing is to discover new systems on equal footing and another is to be 10 years behind of a few select people, catch up mechanics are needed in cases like this.

Apsalar

May 31, 2020
Nobody told anybody how to make steel. People had to figure it out in the first game.
Sorry bro, but you either dont know or dont wanna know. Almost all information in MO1 was data mined. And the same thing is happening in MO2. Mortal data and other sites used to hold a record of all things in the game files, including not yet caught fish at that time (kelp dragon - there was a big drama then). Thanks god its gone but most probably some guilds are still data mining something.

Reactions: Chaines

Virin

Nov 20, 2020
Sorry bro, but you either dont know or dont wanna know. Almost all information in MO1 was data mined. And the same thing is happening in MO2. Mortal data and other sites used to hold a record of all things in the game files, including not yet caught fish at that time (kelp dragon - there was a big drama then). Thanks god its gone but most probably some guilds are still data mining something.
No I get it data mining will always be a thing. Can't really prevent it unless you have some sort of high form of encryption but nobody goes through the trouble. I guess what I'm getting at is the purpose is to be figured out by players.

Doesn't really change the fact that some things weren't known about for 5+ years and had been in the game the whole time.

IMO your POV is only valid when everyone involved starts from the same point. With this change veteran players had years and years to figure stuff at x10 speed compared to the live version of MO2, so if nothing changes even after years to come veterans from MO1 will still be way ahead on the knowledge curve, one thing is to discover new systems on equal footing and another is to be 10 years behind of a few select people, catch up mechanics are needed in cases like this.
No. They aren't. Let's say mo2 never existed and they just expanded and updated mo1 (wait that's kind of what this is) it's unfair to the players that spent a lot of time doing r&d and then for a new player to come along and be handed information.

Not to get 'real world' but this is one reason why society is so fucked. People are so lazy they don't want to work hard for a good life and just want everything given to them.

With that being said I was actually mad that SV didn't change the recipes for making materials, alchemy...etc. they 100% should have changed everything but that wasn't the point for mo2. The point was literally to just expand and make the first game better.

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
A few suggestions would be adding a couple more of the advanced fishing vendor to the continent so new players don't need to risk that much whenever they go exploring with fishing gear.
You know people can transport those items and sell them to players on the broker, right?

Kthulu

Jan 14, 2022
Another Nerf... WHY

• Some fish values have been lowered.
  • Reduced bite rate on certain baits for Canna, Trudis and Herbeus.
  • More variation on fish depth and bait to make sure players won’t always catch the same fish over and over.

Reactions: Najwalaylah