Combat is boring round 2.

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020
It just looks like they are increasing the spam fest.

Really needs some kind of bashing and kicking counter play.
There should be ways to break through parrys and blocks with some kind of strong attack that cant be parried but maybe can be countered with riposte so the opponent has to switch up defenses and not solely rely on one defense mechanic. Having to constantly adjust would give more room to fake out your opponent and leave them open.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
There should be ways to break through parrys and blocks with some kind of strong attack that cant be parried but maybe can be countered with riposte so the opponent has to switch up defenses and not solely rely on one defense mechanic. Having to constantly adjust would give more room to fake out your opponent and leave them open.

Or, just hear me out.

They add chipping damage to weapons that deserve it mixing up playstyles and look at their previous combat system to see what it did right and wrong.

I know a lot of people hate on it. But MO1 didn't have a kick, or a bash, or a dodge. It didn't have unblockable attacks (except triple strike, you had to know it was coming / predict to block it since the damage happened before the animation a lot of the times).

Not saying copy it 1:1 but players could be all manners of aggressive, defensive, a mix, etc. All competitive in their own way.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
i guess my main point is if your concern is magic not being useful it will be extremely useful against pretty much everyone unless they create some way to block or parry spells. For tanks to be viable in group pvp they would need a way to chain pull and root or stun enemies or some sort of gap closing mechanic to force people to engage them. Otherwise, they will just be ignored for last. Target acquisition generally is always to focus the biggest threats first usually healers or ranged dps etc.

I'm fully against any kind of stun, knockdown, hard CC of any form for the most part. The knockdown associated with mounted charges and dismounts and fine but those are a very special set of circumstances unlike "Press 5 to render your opponent helpless for a couple seconds."

That's also entirely un-needed though. As I stated a 5 second 10-ish% slowdown would actually do the trick. Because that means if I'm a tank, you're coming toward me because I positioned myself between you and my backline, and I use my little short-range shield charge or whatever special move it gets attached to, I hit, and you continue to happily move toward my team, I'm going to use those 5 seconds to spam attacks into your back.

You kind of have to turn to face me so you can block/parry/counter my attacks rather than giving me 5 seconds of free hits. Otherwise you're likely to be dead before you reach whoever you're trying to get to.

Perhaps the exact numbers I gave would be a bit weak and need some workshopping, but nothing as extreme as a stun needs to or deserves to be in this game. Probably the nastiest you would even potentially need to do is a move that temporarily disables sprint.

Last edited:

cwall

Dec 28, 2020
I would like to see chip damage more represented based on weight and/or blunt damage of the weapon used versus the blocker's weapon size/weight, with some sort of bonus chip damage mitigation for shields.

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020

This is looking promising, glad to see they are at least open to trying out speeding things up. 2:18:51 since insert is busted.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I really hope they reconsider the movement speed and make it higher again. I think this will help make the game more fun but I also think certain people are underestimating how important it is from a gameplay point of view.
Fast movement, both turns and sprint, will help a player both offensively and defensively when trying to reach backlines (or move out of someone's way) but also to lose chasers by disorientating movement.

Worse players/teams are naturally slower in communication and reaction, and they are heavily favoured with the current, slower, movement-speed.

FOXxAK

Jun 6, 2020
I'm really disappointed in the state of group fights. There are people who wanted to compare and try to make it equal to a combat sim not understanding that 1v1 is the most irrelevant aspect of this game.

All these balance changes are in an attempt to balance the 1v1 duels that are occurring in alpha. They are also based on people who want to stand still and parry everything instead of using movement, essentially the last people that we should have been taking feedback from. Which is why you hear crying about spinning constantly even though it isn't a viable tactic if someone has distance on you or in a group fight. They actually say things like foot jousting is noob and people who want run away isn't skill based as a justification for shitting on movement as a tactic.

The result is what I feared the most a reduction in the quality of team fights. Duels are about neutral, while the ping advantage is less severe the simultaneous nerfs to anything skill based; movement, accelerations, the speed at which you can move your mouse, and camera manipulations makes it less entertaining than it was.

Group fights are horrendous with weapons that do 50+ damage, ultra slow footspeed that means anyone with half a brain can land a sticky, sluggish mouse movements making everyone aim and play the same, and the disappearance of diving into a group to have impact. This results in high DPS for zergs but terrible dps when you're outnumbered due to parry wall.

The old duels in the game played out much faster. Yes ping was a massive issue that bothered me but I don't think a happy medium was found at all, instead we have a dictatorship of parry whores, zerglings and noobs.

I couldn't agree more. The game is too easy for someone who plays 20 hours. It's not dynamic enough. SV tried "speeding combat up", but they took the wrong path.
Speeding up Movement is really important, currently we sprint in combat mode at 425 by default. This should be higher honestlty. Probably at 440?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Or, just hear me out.

They add chipping damage to weapons that deserve it mixing up playstyles and look at their previous combat system to see what it did right and wrong.

I know a lot of people hate on it. But MO1 didn't have a kick, or a bash, or a dodge. It didn't have unblockable attacks (except triple strike, you had to know it was coming / predict to block it since the damage happened before the animation a lot of the times).

Not saying copy it 1:1 but players could be all manners of aggressive, defensive, a mix, etc. All competitive in their own way.
Maybe since mages are gonna have weapons on their back and start parrying you too.

ex dee

Steinerr

May 29, 2020
Killing skill needs to play a role.

Cuz killing people without spinning and zerging is fun.