Combat is boring round 2.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
@[AF]Tyrone - Here is my post on Elephant riders if you want to go read it. Probably best to that that conversation over to the other topic if we care to continue it.

I think it's a fairly balanced suggestion. If implemented the way I suggested where it has lower speed than infantry over long distances it would make a really bad ganking tool for any guild. Too easy for your targets to get away and I know if I heard an enemy guild was roaming around with something like that I'd get a team of cav together and go wreck that shit so they couldn't bring it to the next siege. Pretty easy to slaughter something like that with cav if it's far from home with a small group of guys as opposed to defending a base or on the march with a full-scale army the way it's intended to be used.

Plus it just can't cover that much ground. Roaming with a war elephant legit sounds straight-up boring.

Snasen

May 28, 2020
I don’t see why there’s so much focus on balance between different character builds when the point of the thread is that the current melee combat is boring and has low skill ceiling. Increasing the mobility and flexibility and adding a few tweaks to melee combat does not equal a direct buff to it, per se.

There are probably tons of different factors to every build and playstyle that can be changed to balance it out. The most important part is that it is also fun on its own through the core mechanics. Balance is not the issue at the moment imo.

Reactions: Javelin

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I don’t see why there’s so much focus on balance between different character builds when the point of the thread is that the current melee combat is boring and has low skill ceiling. Increasing the mobility and flexibility and adding a few tweaks to melee combat does not equal a direct buff to it, per se.

There are probably tons of different factors to every build and playstyle that can be changed to balance it out. The most important part is that it is also fun on its own through the core mechanics. Balance is not the issue at the moment imo.
Not to disparage the individual in question but I believe that he must be trolling.

Despite stating several times that he wasn’t present for mo 1 that doesn’t stop him from being the most ardent critic of “twitch skill”. Which I believe is some phantasmal term referring to speed and accuracy.

His thesis is that speed and accuracy shouldn’t be a big determinant which is obviously ridiculous.

Reactions: Snasen

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Speed and accuracy skills should be a big determent of the performance of certain builds. But they should also be less emphasized in certain builds. And overall tactics and group composition should mean more than any other factor when it comes to team fights. I'm concerned when I see people arguing for features for melee that belong to other roles. I'm also pretty skeptical about the supposed skills of people that seem to be consistently ignoring mounted archers have a nearly limitless skill ceiling and who don't seem to rank highest among melees in the current system. If the skill ceiling is so low for everyone why are many people arguing that consistently getting beat by certain players? Low skill ceiling means all the top players should be on a par. So if there is anyone who can consistently beat you I think it invalidates your right to claim a low skill ceiling.

Also the whole "Not present for MO1" is so self-contradictory beyond being kind of wrong. I don't claim vet status not that I never played the game. I did. A few times. It just wasn't good enough in the state it was in to grip my attention for long. The same people telling me "You shouldn't argue against twitch skill because you weren't present for MO1" are the same people telling me "No skill non-twitch builds ruined MO1." So how is playing MO1 supposed to convince me the game is aimed primarily at high reflex players when you're all consistently telling me the opposite? You're arguing for personal preferences, not to replicate the way things were in MO1.

How are the kind of things I'm proposing worse than what you all claim MO1 was? I'm suggesting we raise the skill ceiling from where MO1 stood according to all of you. I'm just not arguing to raise it in the same way your personal preferences lean.

Last edited:

Snasen

May 28, 2020
Speed and accuracy skills should be a big determent of the performance of certain builds. But they should also be less emphasized in certain builds. And overall tactics and group composition should mean more than any other factor when it comes to team fights. I'm concerned when I see people arguing for features for melee that belong to other roles. I'm also pretty skeptical about the supposed skills of people that seem to be consistently ignoring mounted archers have a nearly limitless skill ceiling and who don't seem to rank highest among melees in the current system. If the skill ceiling is so low for everyone why are many people arguing that consistently getting beat by certain players? Low skill ceiling means all the top players should be on a par. So if there is anyone who can consistently beat you I think it invalidates your right to claim a low skill ceiling.

Also the whole "Not present for MO1" is so self-contradictory beyond being kind of wrong. I don't claim vet status not that I never played the game. I did. A few times. It just wasn't good enough in the state it was in to grip my attention for long. The same people telling me "You shouldn't argue against twitch skill because you weren't present for MO1" are the same people telling me "Skillness non-twitch builds ruined MO1." So how is playing MO1 supposed to convince me the game is aimed primarily at high reflex players when you're all consistently telling me the opposite?

How are the kind of things I'm proposing worse than what you all claim MO1 was?
I see what you are getting at even though I disagree. But I think you are discussing something different on your own here. The point of the thread is melee combat and its mechanics and only that. Would be cool if you would have some input purely on that instead.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Melee combat won't exist in isolation. If changes were implemented that were to say, lower the average TTK on melee vs. melee by any significant degree, it would entirely invalidate tank buster roles. And any melee meant to be a tank buster role needs to get additional weaknesses added. Otherwise, if melee gets heavy armor, fast TTK on other melee, and can melt lighter armor builds like archery or mages when they close on them everyone will play melee or in a lot of cases quit because there are huge number of people wanting to play other roles.

That's my consistent feedback. Work the bugs out. Wait to balance it. Put the coders that would be dealing with balance issues on getting the other systems into the game faster so we can give more meaningful feedback.

Snasen

May 28, 2020
Melee combat won't exist in isolation. If changes were implemented that were to say, lower the average TTK on melee vs. melee by any significant degree, it would entirely invalidate tank buster roles. And any melee meant to be a tank buster role needs to get additional weaknesses added. Otherwise, if melee gets heavy armor, fast TTK on other melee, and can melt lighter armor builds like archery or mages when they close on them everyone will play melee or in a lot of cases quit because there are huge number of people wanting to play other roles.

That's my consistent feedback. Work the bugs out. Wait to balance it. Put the coders that would be dealing with balance issues on getting the other systems into the game faster so we can give more meaningful feedback.
I think we’re talking about two different things still. What I’m saying is that this is not about balance. It’s about core mechanics.
Would appreciate some input from you on that specifically =)

Reactions: Bicorps

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Sure. But the suggestions I'm consistently seeing are "Swing times need to be faster", "we need more stamina", "we should do more damage", "parry windows should be shorter."

You do see how all of those suggestions will have a major effect on balance right?

If we're talking about core mechanics other than speed / TTK. They feel absolutely great IMO. I've played around with melee, archery, and magic in MO1 within the last week. The systems in MO2 feel WAY better from a new player perspective. It's more intuitive, more fluid, generally, a much better overall feel to it. Only issues are the ones I elaborated that lag is causing.

Last edited:

Snasen

May 28, 2020
Sure. But the suggestions I'm consistently seeing are "Swing times need to be faster", "we need more stamina", "we should do more damage", "parry windows should be shorter."

You do see how all of those suggestions will have a major effect on balance right?
There are a lot of different opinions on this for sure yeah. It would probably have an effect on the on the meta, but it is hard to say if it would have had that much of a direct impact on specific player builds.

Anyway changing the core mechanics for balancing is in my opinion the wrong order of things. Balancing comes with tweaking the character builds itself or playstyles after the core mechanics are set. At the moment people are not happy with the core mechanics which means balancing should not be a priority at the moment imo.

I personally agree with OP that I think the current melee could be much more fun and interesting if mobility and combat was sped up and the turn cap was removed or at least decreased by quite a bit. And changes would have an effect mostly in melee vs melee interaction. If the skill ceiling and room for improvement is big I get motivated to play. But at the moment I don’t feel that and I also doubt an addition of a kick or something will do that much as long as the movement and combat stays as it is.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
What is the point of a kick if not to increase TTK?

The other thing I'll say is this. Parry is what makes MO2 melee so heavily skill intensive. Absolute trash reflex players could 1vX as melee in Darkfall because they could just swing wildly and not worry about blocks.

How do I know that? Because I'm an absolute trash reflex player and I 1vXed in a melee in Darkfall by just swinging wildly and not worrying about blocks.

Seriously, the kids panicked and I sticky-backed down like 5 guys in a row because their cohesion was trash. I could NEVER do that in this game. The people who trash me do it because I can't get hits through to them. I have to actually slow down and focus to beat someone where what carried me in DFO was pure unbounded aggression. When I was killing those kids is was no thought just pure adrenaline.

Like if parry were removed entirely I'd actually immediately go greatsword melee because staying on someone and landing hits with a greatsword is not that hard even for me.

Last edited:

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
A few things to point out so I can help the thread get back on topic, from a point of view of someone who dislikes the combat.

Problem #1

Charging swings takes to long, as in the full damage charge; as well as the 'full charge' (i.e. circle fills entirely, but no blink). This makes swings slow.

Solution to Problem #1

I liked Valorant's idea (I think it was him who said it). The charge speed of all swings should be as fast as the riposte charge speed, I think this would be an excellent step in the right direction for a speed increase that is already in the game but now is no longer bound to just the riposte alone. I would even take on and say that the new riposte could then benefit from a slight speed increase in swing / charge speed.

Problem #2

Players can hit static objects to trigger the 'riposte' charge or the instant parry as some like to call it.

Solution to Problem #2

Just get rid of it entirely. It doesn't belong, and it honestly should instead incur a stam penalty and a swing speed penalty alike the one you have when you miss a swing. I don't think anyone could disagree that hitting a static object could be rationalized as your character jarring their hand and losing some stamina over it. This then further rewards players who don't swing wildly and actually time strikes.

Problem #3

The game heavily encourages the use of numbers / bait-tactics when it is group v group. To elaborate. In a group, two players can easily kill one player with the method of one player using a fast, personal (Average to short range) to feint attacks 50% of the time and the other 50% commit to attacks whilst another player uses a long ranged weapon (Average to long range) that has high damage output like a spear to only stab. What this does is it forces the single player to either..

A.) Hit trade.
B.) Stand and parry, only to be widdled down.
C.) Target switch (Hit one guy, then switch to the next; and vary the pattern so it's not predictable.)

Sure, you might get damage out. But the two players, so long as they aren't completely stupid, will kill you with this tactic. You're basically fighting two HP bars, and two stam bars with your one HP bar and one stam bar. You wont win because you'll lose stam on getting hit, and currently as it stands with no race stats effecting our movement speed, HP, stam, damage, etc. it's hard to grasp how zerg-friendly this problem is. I predict this will be heavily zerg-friendly and will encourage more streamlined metas that will not be fun to fight against, or to play as.

Solution to Problem #3

You first need Solution to Problem #1 coming into effect. From there, you need to allow players a way to have better stam management as currently the stamina play in MO2 is abysmal. The regeneration is bad, the stam take-away on hit is bad, and at a certain point of stam it's impossible to get away or fight back. It's almost as if your HP bar becomes pointless, as your stam is what kills you. I suggest slight buffs to stam regen, and how it works when getting hit; and perhaps create thresholds when it actually comes into play (Lets say currently when less than 20% stamina, you are losing stam when it; when it could be lowered to 5-10% below stam when you begin to lose stam on hit.)

Problem #4

Jumping is extremely powerful.

Solution to Problem #4

I think jumping honestly needs a nerf. It should be more heavily effected by armor weight, and should cost more stamina to perform. Right now it can create infinite loops of artificial kiting due to the game running in Unreal Engine (Notorious for numerous ground objects getting you stuck, or things that you must jump over due to collision being existence nearly everywhere even when it doesn't make sense.)

Problem #5

A lot of weapons are terrible, again (Like MO1). I'm not curious to hear the outliers of people who have picked up said weapons I'm about to list and go "but i can make it work!!" because 9/10 you don't actually make it work and it's just blind want for it to be good. The weapons in question are...

One handed maces, one handed axes, one handed swords, poleswords, poleaxes, and two handed clubs.

These weapons are absolutely garbage. Almost all one handed weapons excluding daggers have overly high stamina usage, terrible range, and terrible hitboxes.

Poleswords seem to have been completely butchered due to their overuse in MO1, but I wish to see a more MO1-like polesword in MO2 unlike what we have now.

Poleaxes are just a little less worse than poleswords, but still garbage.

Two handed clubs are just terrible.

Solution to Problem #5

One handed weapons need to use less stamina. They also need more forgiving hitboxes, just like the daggers. They don't need their handle hitboxes completely removed but they need to be lessened in size (As in, the handle hitbox) for them to actually be usable and justify the short range. They also need to swing faster. They're super slow.

Poleswords need to be faster, and they honestly need the animations of the spear. Their current animations look horrendous and playing with them are absolutely terrible.

Poleaxes could maybe follow the same logic, but they could use a slight speed boost and a slight handle hitbox re-work. Animations I'm indifferent on.

Two handed clubs need to do chipping damage like all other blunt weapons. The fact they don't do chip damage is weird.

Problem #6

Equipment hits are not predictable, and happen randomly. Even though you'd expect it to only happen against shield-users.

Solution to Problem #6

Re-work how equipment hits work, or just get rid of them. They are skilless RNG and I find them incredibly annoying to get at random, and should only reserve it for shields at the most.

Problem #7

This is a minor problem, but I think you should have to put your weapon away to bandage (As in, manually put it away.) Then manually pull it back out after the animation ends.

Solution to #7

Change it. I feel like this makes bandaging slightly more difficult for players rather than knowing it will automatically unsheathe your weapon.

Problem #8

Defensive play still seems super prevalent.

Solution to #8

Refer to all the solutions above, and they should add the supposed new 'combat mechanics' such as this kick and dodge so we can test it out already.

There, I pumped out 8 reasons I dislike the combat with my own ideal solutions to them.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
A few things to point out so I can help the thread get back on topic, from a point of view of someone who dislikes the combat.

Problem #1

Charging swings takes to long, as in the full damage charge; as well as the 'full charge' (i.e. circle fills entirely, but no blink). This makes swings slow.

Solution to Problem #1

I liked Valorant's idea (I think it was him who said it). The charge speed of all swings should be as fast as the riposte charge speed, I think this would be an excellent step in the right direction for a speed increase that is already in the game but now is no longer bound to just the riposte alone. I would even take on and say that the new riposte could then benefit from a slight speed increase in swing / charge speed.

Problem #2

Players can hit static objects to trigger the 'riposte' charge or the instant parry as some like to call it.

Solution to Problem #2

Just get rid of it entirely. It doesn't belong, and it honestly should instead incur a stam penalty and a swing speed penalty alike the one you have when you miss a swing. I don't think anyone could disagree that hitting a static object could be rationalized as your character jarring their hand and losing some stamina over it. This then further rewards players who don't swing wildly and actually time strikes.

Problem #3

The game heavily encourages the use of numbers / bait-tactics when it is group v group. To elaborate. In a group, two players can easily kill one player with the method of one player using a fast, personal (Average to short range) to feint attacks 50% of the time and the other 50% commit to attacks whilst another player uses a long ranged weapon (Average to long range) that has high damage output like a spear to only stab. What this does is it forces the single player to either..

A.) Hit trade.
C.) Target switch (Hit one guy, then switch to the next; and vary the pattern so it's not predictable.)

Sure, you might get damage out. But the two players, so long as they aren't completely stupid, will kill you with this tactic. You're basically fighting two HP bars, and two stam bars with your one HP bar and one stam bar. You wont win because you'll lose stam on getting hit, and currently as it stands with no race stats effecting our movement speed, HP, stam, damage, etc. it's hard to grasp how zerg-friendly this problem is. I predict this will be heavily zerg-friendly and will encourage more streamlined metas that will not be fun to fight against, or to play as.

Solution to Problem #3

You first need Solution to Problem #1 coming into effect. From there, you need to allow players a way to have better stam management as currently the stamina play in MO2 is abysmal. The regeneration is bad, the stam take-away on hit is bad, and at a certain point of stam it's impossible to get away or fight back. It's almost as if your HP bar becomes pointless, as your stam is what kills you. I suggest slight buffs to stam regen, and how it works when getting hit; and perhaps create thresholds when it actually comes into play (Lets say currently when less than 20% stamina, you are losing stam when it; when it could be lowered to 5-10% below stam when you begin to lose stam on hit.)

Problem #4

Solution to Problem #4

I think jumping honestly needs a nerf. It should be more heavily effected by armor weight, and should cost more stamina to perform. Right now it can create infinite loops of artificial kiting due to the game running in Unreal Engine (Notorious for numerous ground objects getting you stuck, or things that you must jump over due to collision being existence nearly everywhere even when it doesn't make sense.)

Problem #5

A lot of weapons are terrible, again (Like MO1). I'm not curious to hear the outliers of people who have picked up said weapons I'm about to list and go "but i can make it work!!" because 9/10 you don't actually make it work and it's just blind want for it to be good. The weapons in question are...

One handed maces, one handed axes, one handed swords, poleswords, poleaxes, and two handed clubs.

These weapons are absolutely garbage. Almost all one handed weapons excluding daggers have overly high stamina usage, terrible range, and terrible hitboxes.

Poleswords seem to have been completely butchered due to their overuse in MO1, but I wish to see a more MO1-like polesword in MO2 unlike what we have now.

Solution to Problem #5

One handed weapons need to use less stamina. They also need more forgiving hitboxes, just like the daggers. They don't need their handle hitboxes completely removed but they need to be lessened in size (As in, the handle hitbox) for them to actually be usable and justify the short range. They also need to swing faster. They're super slow.

Poleswords need to be faster, and they honestly need the animations of the spear. Their current animations look horrendous and playing with them are absolutely terrible.

Poleaxes could maybe follow the same logic, but they could use a slight speed boost and a slight handle hitbox re-work. Animations I'm indifferent on.

Two handed clubs need to do chipping damage like all other blunt weapons. The fact they don't do chip damage is weird.

Problem #6

Equipment hits are not predictable, and happen randomly. Even though you'd expect it to only happen against shield-users.

Solution to Problem #6

Re-work how equipment hits work, or just get rid of them. They are skilless RNG and I find them incredibly annoying to get at random, and should only reserve it for shields at the most.

Problem #7

This is a minor problem, but I think you should have to put your weapon away to bandage (As in, manually put it away.) Then manually pull it back out after the animation ends.

Solution to #7

Change it. I feel like this makes bandaging slightly more difficult for players rather than knowing it will automatically unsheathe your weapon.

Problem #8

Solution to #8

Refer to all the solutions above, and they should add the supposed new 'combat mechanics' such as this kick and dodge so we can test it out already.

There, I pumped out 8 reasons I dislike the combat with my own ideal solutions to them.
Good post, but a couple of things I disagree with or have a question about. I'll order my replies using the same problem numbers you used.

#1)
Yes that was me who suggested that.

Although, there is no T in my name, and if that was intentional in an effort to annoy me you succeeded as that bothers me to no end that they released that game with that name. The people who made that game are the people who made League of legends (Riot) and the only other place in the world that the word Valoran is used other than my name that I am aware of was a mildly obscure island or something in the league of legends lore, and they just had to go and pick that didn't they.

#2)
I completely agree, it is currently game breaking that you can simply bypass the miss penalty mechanic by redirecting and hitting the ground, or some other static object.

It actually does make some sense realistically, as you are using the rebound momentum to start a new swing opposed to having to stop your weapon from moving after committing to a full swing. It certainly hurts or causes strain or vibrations in the hand and arm to do this, although to what degree largely depends on the type of weapon you're using and what exactly you are hitting.

For gameplay purposes though, it is simply awful and I consider the fact that you can do this essentially a bug at this point. Hopefully it will be addressed soon, at least before release.

#3)
I have talked about stamina previously in other threads so I don't have anything new to add here, but essentially I believe that it has a lot to do with player stamina management and now sprinting around swinging non stop until you stam out and die which is quite common. It's also very heavily related to armor weight, and most people are wearing full steel 26kg armor at the moment which has an enormous stamina regeneration penalty.

I'll say it couldn't hurt to increase it slightly but if it were to be increased to the point where I feel most people complaining about it would be happy, we would then lose any meaning to the ability to manage stamina effectively as it wouldn't matter anymore.

Regarding the 1vX relevance, I don't see how this will change much as your opponents will also have this stamina increase. The main problem here seems to be that your opponents can deal guaranteed damage by using different attack directions simultaneously, which I don't see ever going away. The same issue existed in MO1.

#5)
I am potentially for refactoring stamina costs of one handed weapons, as the exact ratio is pretty arbitrary. So long as they do cost a little more than two handed equivalents as it's logical, and acts as a slight counterweight to the advantage of the ability to have a shield.

Although with the way shields are, they could use a buff. What I am not a fan of however, is changing the hitbox sizes. I believe they should be accurate to the weapon model and where the head actually is on that model. Anything else would just cause confusion and is not intuitive.

#6)
Equipment hits currently don't matter so long as your weapon trajectory continues on to hit the player. If you only hit their weapon, meaning if the "Equipment" wasn't there you would have missed, then you only get an equipment hit. I personally don't mind it working like this, I only wish instead of "Equipment" it actually told us what was hit specifically, so bow, weapon, shield, etc.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

Problem #1

Solution to Problem #1

Problem #2

Solution to Problem #2

Problem #3

A.) Hit trade.

Solution to Problem #3

Problem #4

Solution to Problem #4

Problem #5

Solution to Problem #5

Problem #6

Solution to Problem #6

Problem #7

Solution to #7

Problem #8

Solution to #8

1. i'm willing to try, but I think charge speeds are about the same as mo 1 now, about 1 second on a cronite polesword in fact I think mo2 is faster, even if it doesn't actually play out like that with the animations.

2. Honestly I wasn't a fan of them removing flurrying anyway and intentionally missing a swing, the ground hit saves that, think the miss penalty should only apply to parries, but if every hit is going to be a riposte well...

3. increase movement speed please it'll help with the numbers

4. disagree

5. yup, I never thought the poleswords MO meme would be taken so seriously.

6. yup

7. agree

At this point for me the turn cap brings down the speed at which you can move yourself so significantly that its not fun for me. That has nothing in common with MO 1. Its not even a turn cap, just a speed/skill cap.

Last edited:

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020

You mention tank buster roles as if tanks will exist in mass. They wont. Anyone who thought they could build a tank and make a difference in mo1 learned that all it got them was a slow death with no real impact on the engagement. Tanking is only useful for pve. So it does have its use but not much of one in pvp solo or group. So your arguing from the perspective that these will even be something that will require a specific build to defeat. Anyone with higher mobility can beat a tank regardless of if they are ranged, magic or melee. Speaking in terms of mo1 group engagements and not mo2 duels.

[AF]Tyrone

Dec 17, 2020
After the AMA is seems Henrik/Seb have loudly heard these discussions, and will be implementing significant changes to speed up the combat. Looking forward to the next patch. Henrik's demonstration stream was moving in a good direction.

Clicking the center takes you to te beginning of the demo.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
You mention tank buster roles as if tanks will exist in mass. They wont. Anyone who thought they could build a tank and make a difference in mo1 learned that all it got them was a slow death with no real impact on the engagement. Tanking is only useful for pve. So it does have its use but not much of one in pvp solo or group. So your arguing from the perspective that these will even be something that will require a specific build to defeat. Anyone with higher mobility can beat a tank regardless of if they are ranged, magic or melee. Speaking in terms of mo1 group engagements and not mo2 duels.

I'd consider truth to this statement kind of a failure on the game's part. We should of course be hoping for bruisers at a minimum. A good combination of damage output and defense. But also we should be hoping for truer tanks. Effective PvP tanks are given tools to punish people for ignoring them and create space for their teams. This may seem more difficult in a game that very rightly avoid a crowd control focus and any form of hard crowd control like knockdowns or stuns. But I think you can definitely work abilities that make this more practical into the promised special attacks. Even a say 5 second 10% slowdown would allow a tank to stickyback and kill or at least majorly maim people that don't turn to face them.

Problem #8

Depending on how you define "super prevalent" changing this would seem to be the fastest way to lower the skillcap. The moment I can reliably get damage through with a relentless attack is the moment I'll be playing melee myself. Greatsword has a nice arc that's easy to hit with. Getting up on someone and applying consistent damage is how you trash people as a low skill melee. Melee was what I played in Darkfall because the lack of an effective parry/block made it the easiest to land hits with.

Everyone who can trash me in melee does so by parrying my attacks. That's a good thing if you want skilled play to win out.

Last edited:

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020
I'd consider truth to this statement kind of a failure on the game's part. We should of course be hoping for bruisers at a minimum. A good combination of damage output and defense. But also we should be hoping for truer tanks. Effective PvP tanks are given tools to punish people for ignoring them and create space for their teams. This may seem more difficult in a game that very rightly avoid a crowd control focus and any form of hard crowd control like knockdowns or stuns. But I think you can definitely work abilities that make this more practical into the promised special attacks. Even a say 5 second 10% slowdown would allow a tank to stickyback and kill or at least majorly maim people that don't turn to face them.

Depending on how you define "super prevalent" changing this would seem to be the fastest way to lower the skillcap. The moment I can reliably get damage through with a relentless attack is the moment I'll be playing melee myself. Greatsword has a nice arc that's easy to hit with. Getting up on someone and applying consistent damage is how you trash people as a low skill melee. Melee was what I played in Darkfall because the lack of an effective parry/block made it the easiest to land hits with.

Everyone who can trash me in melee does so by parrying my attacks. That's a good thing if you want skilled play to win out.

i guess my main point is if your concern is magic not being useful it will be extremely useful against pretty much everyone unless they create some way to block or parry spells. For tanks to be viable in group pvp they would need a way to chain pull and root or stun enemies or some sort of gap closing mechanic to force people to engage them. Otherwise they will just be ignored for last. Target acquisition generally is always to focus the biggest threats first usually healers or ranged dps etc.

Bongholio

Dec 27, 2020
Throwing my +1 for reduce the swing recovery time, Combat felt more thrilling in MO1 with the faster pace. Solo or team. You’re usually dead if you’re in a 5v1 and currently 1v1 is boring as it’s forced to play as a parry whore. MO1 my Flakestone greatblade might’ve only done very low damage but I could swing it crazily fast and it was fun!

Seperate note, bow kiting would be cool if viable

Reactions: Javelin

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
After the AMA is seems Henrik/Seb have loudly heard these discussions, and will be implementing significant changes to speed up the combat. Looking forward to the next patch. Henrik's demonstration stream was moving in a good direction.

Clicking the center takes you to te beginning of the demo.

It just looks like they are increasing the spam fest.

Really needs some kind of bashing and kicking counter play.