Please keep movement speed the same

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
You will need to aim better, that's it. Keep better distance between you and your enemy, or even better, ask your team-mates to cover for you and intercept someone running at you.

Glad this game doesn't have spectator-mode, then? What matters most is gameplay, and if you want successfull combat, how skillfull it is. Sitting in a blob trading hits until the other side dies is about as unskillfull as it gets.

Have you played MO1? Do you actually play the alpha?

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
"Slow" Movement Speed is needed due to technical times (netcode, server tickrate, etc.), to ensure smooth game experience: non-bolting/teleporting players effect on client side and enough time for prediction response.
Would you really renounce to a consistent positioning data just for speed things up?

Said so, we're still in beta and we'll be for another 2-3 months at least, there is quite time room to test a little movement speed tweaks by organizing another full server load event, if many players still feel uncomfortable with actual speed.

But please do not make this game some awkward anime fighting game alike, there are already plenty of them out there.
gifntext-gif(1).gif

Reactions: Grudge Bringer

Steinerr

May 29, 2020
Keep your minds open the changes are not final.

We have so much work ahead of us to make this game great and reach a state where EVERYONE can have fun. (Yeah its a game remember that)

As technique said a movement speed increase wont bring the sky down.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
how many people have so many opinions. let them find balance in the game. without trying different options for mass use, they will not be able to come to any decision. Let's not whine anymore, but concrete criticism of what is wrong, what needs to be changed and why exactly this should be done from your point of view. The rest is like whining. I apologize in advance.

Reactions: Grisù and Steinerr

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
"Slow" Movement Speed is needed due to technical times (netcode, server tickrate, etc.), to ensure smooth game experience: non-bolting/teleporting players effect on client side and enough time for prediction response.
Would you really renounce to a consistent positioning data just for speed things up?
People experience that now aswell though, it's not only the speed that is causing that, otherwise we wouldn't be having those issues to begin with. I understand completely that higher speeds exaggerate those problems, not trying to deny that, but at the same time the netcode and optimization is at a much better state (when the server is stable, ie not right now) than it was at the beginning of alpha, so I do think it's atleast worth to test if the server can handle higher speeds.

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
Keep your minds open the changes are not final.

We have so much work ahead of us to make this game great and reach a state where EVERYONE can have fun. (Yeah its a game remember that)

As technique said a movement speed increase wont bring the sky down.

Fuck that if they make this a twitch shooter with swords with 200+ ping i'm out. MO1 movement was crap.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Wow, first Grudge, chill a bit, you be comin' in swinging in all directions and it doesn't make for a useful discussion. Additionally usually if you're proposing a change and actually want people's opinions (not sure you do) a poll is nice.

From my experience, talking about "is movement too fast" is a bit of too broad a statement. A person in leather with a dagger should move fast in combat but also be cleaved in half by getting caught by a wide 2-handed swing at full power. A person in full plate, probably shouldn't. Rather than doing a big base movement change, I think tweaking the movement related to armor/weapon gear weight is the way to go. That way being lightly armored allows for things like scouts etc, but in a throw down duel between two knights or in big battles where people need survivability, people will be moving more slowly.

Another thing to tweak is the stamina drain for sprinting. Again, full heavy armor should drain stamina like mad if you run. You should be able to close the gap quickly even in full plate by sprinting, but it should be a sacrifice in terms of stamina. Haven't tested this current iteration heavily, but in the past you could run circles around someone in all heavy armor and have stamina to spare, which did lead to circling and wild sprinting a lot which, whether or not it's effective, doesn't make for immersive fights.

SV and Henrik have shown that they first and foremost want systems that feel immersive and "realistic" (within the fantasy setting) as long as they are also fun, so that seems to me like the balance that should be aimed for.

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
Wow, first Grudge, chill a bit, you be comin' in swinging in all directions and it doesn't make for a useful discussion. Additionally usually if you're proposing a change and actually want people's opinions (not sure you do) a poll is nice.

From my experience, talking about "is movement too fast" is a bit of too broad a statement. A person in leather with a dagger should move fast in combat but also be cleaved in half by getting caught by a wide 2-handed swing at full power. A person in full plate, probably shouldn't. Rather than doing a big base movement change, I think tweaking the movement related to armor/weapon gear weight is the way to go. That way being lightly armored allows for things like scouts etc, but in a throw down duel between two knights or in big battles where people need survivability, people will be moving more slowly.

Another thing to tweak is the stamina drain for sprinting. Again, full heavy armor should drain stamina like mad if you run. You should be able to close the gap quickly even in full plate by sprinting, but it should be a sacrifice in terms of stamina. Haven't tested this current iteration heavily, but in the past you could run circles around someone in all heavy armor and have stamina to spare, which did lead to circling and wild sprinting a lot which, whether or not it's effective, doesn't make for immersive fights.

SV and Henrik have shown that they first and foremost want systems that feel immersive and "realistic" (within the fantasy setting) as long as they are also fun, so that seems to me like the balance that should be aimed for.

Realistic is subjective and if all the twitch power gamer greifers get their way we will be flipping from rooftop to rooftop in full plate and kiting from town to town cause 'skillz bro'

" watch this 360 arrow snipe bro, speed it up, man isnt MO1 pvp the best?"

Mad skillz

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
@Darthus, fully agree with the whole armor/equipment related movement speed and stamina drain.
Always been confident SV would have it balanced sooner or later.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020

I don't want to delve too deep into balancing issues between light and heavy armour, because at the moment you run just as slowly regardless what you are wearing (unless you go above your armour limit).

I understand people want immersion, I do too, but I honestly think it's enough that we keep the forced first person for that. I can't swing my weapon or position/move my body as a would in real life, as I'm limited to what my mouse and keyboard allows me, so immersion just got thrown right out the window regarding that. What is StarVault, realistically, going to do about that? Other than rebuilding the entire game to fit for VR-helmet and Wii-remote (although admitedly, it would be cool).

Regarding realism, people really do sprint faster than what we are currently experiencing ingame, just have a look at sports games or sprinter competitions and you can see for yourself how fast some of the fastest really are. If they can do it why shouldn't we, since it can't be more realistic than actual real life. Regardless, this is a game with supernatural elements such as magic, I really don't think it's too far-fetched that characters in-game can be as fast or even faster than real life, although ofcourse within reason.

As said before, skillful and fun gameplay should be considered, and a quick way to resolve that is speed. Worse players are naturally slower. Again, if you don't believe me you can have a look at a ball-sport such as basketball, football etc. Good players are consistently faster and more coordinated because that's what it takes to be competitive in such an enviroment, otherwise they would have all been walking to conserve energy if that was the case. Combat in MO should be treated the same, in my opinion.

Reactions: Steinerr

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020

it seems you dont play MO so often. if your armor is too heavy you walk slower and your stamina/mana regeneration is slower.
the max MS of 425 is perfect and there is no point in making it 440 or 460 like it would make things better. when you want to change the MS just so you have the feeling to be cooperative, then make it slower.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Solair: I specifically put realism (given the fantasy setting) to get around the topic of "well magic etc", and also that realism/immersion should be aimed for, but never at the significant expense of fun. The idea being, don't just go for the obvious gamey "fun" solution (turn this into Unreal Tournament), but if you are very creative, come up with 10 solutions which all might be fun, err toward the one that feels more realistic/immersive. If there is no way to do a system in a realistic/immersive feeling way, it should be heavily examined and alternative systems explored first. So I think we agree?

Bernfred: Yeah I know heavy armor makes you walk slower and stamina/regen is slower. I'm saying that that should be the primary system (as well as more stamina drain for things like sprinting) that manages move speed in combat rather than big base move speed changes (again, maybe we agree?)

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
it seems you dont play MO so often. if your armor is too heavy you walk slower and your stamina/mana regeneration is slower.
the max MS of 425 is perfect and there is no point in making it 440 or 460 like it would make things better. when you want to change the MS just so you have the feeling to be cooperative, then make it slower.
I'm sure you'll still be good at dueling with a bit more speed.

The group fights don't feel great right now, and I think the speed has a lot to do with it.

Dec 10, 2020
To give a more serious reply, I once again would like to see them wait until all three combat classes are in the game before making more changes to melee but it feels rather pointless to bother saying it anymore.

Edit: To clarify, you can't call the current halfbaked archery as being in the game.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
To give a more serious reply, I once again would like to see them wait until all three combat classes are in the game before making more changes to melee but it feels rather pointless to bother saying it anymore.

Edit: To clarify, you can't call the current halfbaked archery as being in the game.
in the end its about the melee combat that determines the max MS, they lowered it in the first melee patches for a very good reason.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
Solair: I specifically put realism (given the fantasy setting) to get around the topic of "well magic etc", and also that realism/immersion should be aimed for, but never at the significant expense of fun. The idea being, don't just go for the obvious gamey "fun" solution (turn this into Unreal Tournament), but if you are very creative, come up with 10 solutions which all might be fun, err toward the one that feels more realistic/immersive. If there is no way to do a system in a realistic/immersive feeling way, it should be heavily examined and alternative systems explored first. So I think we agree?
I don't think it's possible for them to have skillfull combat unless they decide to completely overhaul the entire game. The game seems to be built with twitch-skills in mind, considering there are barely any abilities like in other MMO's. Isn't that really the point of why we are playing in the first place? That it doesn't have the abilities and tab-target combat like all the others?

It's fine by me if players find it hard when things are going fast, you plop them down in a basketball court around professional players and I'm certain they would have a hard time keeping up there aswell. It's not my problem that they want it easy and have everyone else dragged down to their level. If they don't want to lose against better opponents, then stay away from them and only play against players you are comfortable with.

Movement will be slow on foot regardless what they add, so why would it matter if magic was added or not, or mounts? Chasing, or being chased is the same regardless if you carry a sword, bow, or your fists.

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
i don't understand this stupid fight between some of you guys, really...
I personally would like to see the movement speed tuned up at least by a bit. Yet im not wanting MO to be a different game at all, im not a "chivalry" or "arena" game player, i want to play a hardcore mmorpg with few to zero hand taking by the game and with just tools to enjoy the universe we thrown in (sandbox)
It would not only benefit the travel time a bit and so encourage more people at release who might have less time and/or no mounts to explore or just do things outside.
On a combat matter, they achieved a good balance with mo1, it as working well with stam number, regen, kiting mechanics if you exclude all inconsistencies due to lag, nodes and all this. I think they should keep the movement and stamina mechanics from MO1, apply it to mo2 but without the speed run of MO1and slightly try to tune it UP a bit. I do think people saying it would break the immersion are over exagerating (not even gonna comment on the "why not add 3rd person while at it " argument) , i sincerly think it would just benefit everyones, if that isnt adding more issues with network ,player sync being my main concern
(personally i would like to have the original mo1 speedi, but obviously for ping reason the idea to have such movement speed is definitly off the table now i believe)

• Love