The Unreal Engine 5 public test realm will be opening up tomorrow and allowing everyone who owns Mortal Online 2 on Steam to hop in and have a look at how the game is looking in the new engine.
We are still on track to releasing this enormous update at the end of the month, however while on the PTR please keep in mind that we are still actively working on many different areas of the game, so expect to see some odd things as we work to polish everything up for the release.
How to Access the UE5 PTR
Starting tomorrow on the 20th of October, we will make the PTR beta branch on steam publicly accessible.
To swap to the test branch, simply:
- Open your Steam client and right click Mortal Online 2 in your games library.
- Click ‘Properties’
- Click ‘Betas’ on the left
- Using the ‘Beta Participation’ dropdown menu, click on the Mortal Online PTR branch.
- Your Steam client will then patch your game over to the test branch, and if the servers are up already you will be free to log in as normal.
Due to the entire game being migrated to a new engine, the download will be quite large.
If you would like to create a backup of the live version of the game so that you can quickly swap between them before you switch to the PTR branch on steam, here are the instructions to do so:
- Before swapping to the PTR branch on Steam, open your Steam client and right click Mortal Online 2 in your games library.
- Click ‘Properties’
- Click ‘Installed Files’
- Click ‘Browse’
- Navigate ‘up’ one folder to ‘Common’
- Copy your ‘Mortal Online 2’ folder, and rename the copy to ‘Mortal Online 2 – Live’
- Now switch to the PTR branch on Steam
- When you want to swap back to the live server, navigate to the ‘Common’ folder again, and rename the current ‘Mortal Online 2’ folder to ‘Mortal Online 2 – PTR’ and rename your ‘Mortal Online 2 – Live’ folder to ‘Mortal Online 2’. Do not change the Steam branch from the PTR.
- You may now launch the game from your Steam library, and you will be playing on the live server. When you want to swap back to the PTR, simply rename the folders again.
- This will allow you to easily swap between game versions without needing to change the branch or redownload the game each time.
Giving Feedback About the PTR
After you have spent some time on the UE5 PTR and had a look around, we would very much appreciate you taking the time to fill out our feedback survey.
The feedback form will open for responses after the PTR has ended, and we will notify everyone with a reminder about the form once the server has closed.
All feedback will be read by the team, and will help us greatly.
Help us gather clips for the Unreal Engine 5 Trailer!
We will be putting together a trailer for the Unreal Engine 5 patch release. If you would like to lend a hand and have your captured moments appear in our trailer, simply record anything that looks nice to you during your gameplay and send it to us!
This can be spectacular and cinematic events, or calm walks through an atmospheric forest. Fighting other players, or AI, or simply walking around in town.
If you want to take some recordings for the trailer, any video content we may use must have the following criteria:
- 16:9 recordings only (1920×1080, 2560×1440, 3840×2160)
- 30fps minimum
- As high visual settings as you can use
- Steady and smooth mouse movements, no sudden jerky or ‘flicking’ motions etc
- UI toggled off (Default keybind is F10)
Please upload any recordings you would like to share with us to a google drive or other cloud storage platform and send a link to Nimbus (nebulousmortal) who you can find in our official MO2 Discord member list under the Star Vault Staff role.
If you are having trouble finding him, please send the link to Robmo and he will pass it on.
See you on the PTR,
The Star Vault Team