Why we don´t need Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
I don't disagree with anything you wrote.

I more just don't understand.

Assuming no flagging like you suggest, no safe zones, i'll extend that to guarded cities. In what way would you prevent a constant slaughter from happening?

I'll circle back to Albion, i'm sure we would be looking at a dead game if the second you left town there was 50+ tier 8s waiting to kill you.

Players. Please, consider not circling back to Albion, if you think it's making your point more clear, it is not.

A lot of times vets are blamed for camping new areas and such. And while this may be the case at times, many new players also seem to have a tendency to do this as well. Its not a bad thing since this is a pvp game after all. But even those players are doing themselves and the game a disservice by jumping straight in without being prepared.

A place like haven gives new players more than just a chance to figure out the game, it also allows them time to get invested in the game a bit before they are thrown to the wolves, bugs, ect..

In the end you want players that would enjoy the game as intended to give it a fair chance before dismissing it.

You seem to be saying that new players like to jump straight into pvp, but shouldn't be allowed to. I can't believe I'm even having this discussion on a Mortal Online forum. Congrats SV.

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
SV probably shouldn't sacrifice a new player experience, potentially at a big cost to player retention, for a vocal minority that will still play the game anyway.
SV should make a genuinely great new player experience, not a shitty protected bubble that denies the rules of the main game, attempt to retain loyal paying customers, and not put their hopes on people that may never come and don't enjoy or understand the core design to begin with.

Reactions: Vagrant

JimLit

Nov 20, 2020
You seem to be saying that new players like to jump straight into pvp, but shouldn't be allowed to. I can't believe I'm even having this discussion on a Mortal Online forum. Congrats SV.

You shouldn't believe it, because I'm pretty sure nobody said anything like that.

SV should make a genuinely great new player experience, not a shitty protected bubble that denies the rules of the main game, attempt to retain loyal paying customers, and not put their hopes on people that may never come and don't enjoy or understand the core design to begin with.

so you won't be playing if there is a haven then?

Rudakov

May 31, 2020
It’s so funny to see like mo 1 vets afraid that people will live in save zone . Why you don’t think about big community’s that will come from Lif or Oasis or even from Albion , community’s that can be organized and have numbers . It can be alliance with 200-600 people . And u will get viped , and you will live in guard zone . And it’s not fantastic what I’m saying about , it’s really can happen. It’s not 2013 year , gamer community’s are much stronger then before . So stop thinking about killing noobs . Start thinking how you will defend ur land from upcoming challengers, believe me , they coming .

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Players. Please, consider not circling back to Albion, if you think it's making your point more clear, it is not.

You may want to reread that. I said almost the opposite.

"Its not a bad thing since this is a pvp game after all"

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
You may want to reread that. I said almost the opposite.

"Its not a bad thing since this is a pvp game after all"
Yet, you're advocating for new players to engage in pvp and a Haven that doesn't allow it. I don't understand your position. Feel free to elaborate.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
SV probably shouldn't sacrifice a new player experience, potentially at a big cost to player retention, for a vocal minority that will still play the game anyway.

correct, fix these issues and have VERY intuitive gameplay with ALL inconsistencies attended to and Haven would logically become redundant.

this should include much thought going in to not just the UI but other inconsistencies in gameplay and enrivonment.

i'm hoping much thought will be put in to things like the new reputation system and it's rewards and punishments, helping new players should be part of this character building system.
being able to have 2 full character builds within one character slot is great for character development potential too.

to continue to develop these to be as logical and intuitive as possible are all point to Haven becoming redundant,

much like me using the word redundant...

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

Alright well allow me to be as clear as possible.

This thread is an exercise in futility. There WILL be a haven, and it will work almost exactly the same as it does in MO 1 guaranteed.

The best you can hope to accomplish is the mutual recognition that we all think Haven should maybe not be so enticing as to create permanent Haven players.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address

This thread is an exercise in futility. There WILL be a haven, and it will work almost exactly the same as it does in MO 1 guaranteed.

The best you can hope to accomplish is the mutual recognition that we all think Haven should maybe not be so enticing as to create permanent Haven players.

probably quite true but worthy of discussing it's shortcomings in hope :)

it would be interesting to have specific player feedback by well worded survey as they experience Haven then hopefully further feedback as players if/when progress to the main game, this should be a fairly straight forward way to benefit from the predicted influx of new player data.

Edit - obviously a very 'short attention span' survey designed to try to see at what point attention and retention might start to fail.

P42ALPHA

Jan 9, 2021

If players decide to play that way, staying full time in Haven.
How is that not healthy for the game as a whole? It is bodies in a game, and debit card numbers paying a sub.

Say if they were to remove Haven, or make it not so enticing. These players more then likely would never stay with MO2 to start with, and would just find another game to pay to enjoy there time. They would not all of a sudden and magically become full time canon fodder for gankers, or loyal front line fighters for some guild to create better fights out in the world.

Some ppl just like to sit back and enjoy the simple life in a game, even if that simple life happens to be in a "hardcore" mmo

Reactions: Speznat

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
If players decide to play that way, staying full time in Haven.
How is that not healthy for the game as a whole? It is bodies in a game, and debit card numbers paying a sub.

Say if they were to remove Haven, or make it not so enticing. These players more then likely would never stay with MO2 to start with, and would just find another game to pay to enjoy there time. They would not all of a sudden and magically become full time canon fodder for gankers, or loyal front line fighters for some guild to create better fights out in the world.

Some ppl just like to sit back and enjoy the simple life in a game, even if that simple life happens to be in a "hardcore" mmo
The concern I would have would be players like

Ichorus, Ibarruri, Speznat etc not the actual ones but players like them staying and running their businesses there.

Also as I said to Yeonan in this thread earlier. It is extremely unlikely that every single player that stays on Haven, would end up quitting if they played on Myrland instead. Those players that enjoyed the simple life joined guilds, crafted gear, ran boulders etc. If you're telling me not a single one of those players will be lost forever to Haven then I simply disagree.

The development dollars are a plus but if you look at MO 1 now Haven is the game. That is my concern. I don't claim that is what will happen for sure, but it is a possibility.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
If Haven as a place so enticing that any significant amount of players choose to stay there happen again. It will mean SV entirely ignored all feedback in this thread and did what they wanted.

There are really two camps on the two issues presented in this topic. And moderates and crazies on both issues.

The people who believe a short tutorial that gives newbs a foundation going into the game with minimal additional content is worth the investment and will help grow the community vs. the people who believe that players should have to use external sources to learn basic game mechanics, or maybe some tooltips if we're generous.

The people who believe up to a few hours of a safe tutorial island will bring more people into the game than it excludes vs. the delusional wackos that think the game is carebear if you don't get camped at your initial spawn for an hour or two before learning there is a difference between combat mode and non-combat mode.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Speznat and Eldrath

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
If Haven as a place so enticing that any significant amount of players choose to stay there happen again. It will mean SV entirely ignored all feedback in this thread and did what they wanted.

There are really two camps on the two issues presented in this topic. And moderates and crazies on both issues.

The people who believe a short tutorial that gives newbs a foundation going into the game with minimal additional content is worth the investment and will help grow the community vs. the people who believe that players should have to use external sources to learn basic game mechanics, or maybe some tooltips if we're generous.

The people who believe up to a few hours of a safe tutorial island will bring more people into the game than it excludes vs. the delusional wackos that think the game is carebear if you don't get camped at your initial spawn for an hour or two before learning there is a difference between combat mode and non-combat mode.

It's difficult to write a post where not a single sentence is accurate. There should be a trophy for that. Otherwise, keep going with this puppet show you call a mind. It cycles from desperate validation seeking to somewhat entertaining projection. Welcome to MOFO.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Don't you have a jungle to go hide in while you write a story where your entire guild doesn't get trashed by our guild on the regular? Don't get too excited about newbs losing their protections. If I hear of you camping newby spawns you'll get the fights you're so desperately seeking.

Wrecking the griefers who are too bad to kill anyone but fresh newbs in view of those newbs should serve as a spectacular tool to grow the ranks of the inquisition.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bicorps

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Yet, you're advocating for new players to engage in pvp and a Haven that doesn't allow it. I don't understand your position. Feel free to elaborate.

I will try.

Say there is a haven and an option to leave/skip it (Which should definitely be possible).

A strictly pvp oriented player could then just skip to the main game and get right to pvping.

But even a new pvp player would be better served to learn a bit about the game and get some skills up before leaving.

This knowledge and boost could help prevent them from being discouraged when they find it hard to compete with their slow unskilled characters.

Last edited:

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
A strictly pvp oriented player could then just skip to the main game and get right to pvping.

That's impossible because you will spend weeks to gather materials, craft armor and weapons or get enough money to buy those armor and weapons from other players. If you go to PvP with starter armor and starter weapon you will cry because other players will fight with steel armor or even better.

This is not a PvP game! PvP is part of the game, but preparing for PvP costs much time.

Reactions: Amadman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
That's impossible because you will spend weeks to gather materials, craft armor and weapons or get enough money to buy those armor and weapons from other players. If you go to PvP with starter armor and starter weapon you will cry because other players will fight with steel armor or even better.

This is not a PvP game! PvP is part of the game, but preparing for PvP costs much time.

RIght, this is my point as well.

The player that chooses to skip haven would be doing themselves a disservice.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020

If you guys are interested in comparing numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.