Trading and local resources

Northern

Jun 24, 2020
I think the original MO has gotten one thing right: local resources.
If you wanted Gabore, you had to travel to that other lawless town far in the north to mine it.
If you wanted some special type of wood, you needed to go and find a forest where these trees grow.
In other words, all resources were specific to an area.
I really hope to see more of that in MO2.
More emphasis on local resources, more need to travel to other areas to get stuff, so as to enable trading and merchants.

Oh, and please keep local banking

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Agree! Anything that makes the different regions all feel essential is huge for the game. Not to mention it gets players out and about leading to a game world that feels much more alive.

Reactions: Xunila and Ibarruri

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
That was something great about the game. Location should mean a lot, i do hope they spread it out more but keep the same conditions.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Reigonal divides are very important, and should be emphasized. It should be common for players in different areas to wear, use and eat different things. This opens up trade opportunities and diversity. This creates the need for travel and planning. This creates dynamics.

With the larger world I hope they really nail this.

Northern

Jun 24, 2020
Finally! Someone that's not a negative Nancy and understands how much Henrik has done right.

Oh absolutely.
I love the ideas of MO. I used to say that MO is my favorite MMORPG of all.
Local resources, local banking, no teleportation. These things are not just "hardcore" for the sake of being hardcore, or realistic for the sake of being realistic, but because they introduce a new dimension to the game. If all the resources are pretty much available throughout the map, or if you can teleport from city to city, or if you can put something you bought or gathered in a bank in one town, and the magically access it from another town, that pretty much kills any need to travel. Might as well have a small map.

Other things like all the metallurgy stuff. You don't just dig some rocks from the ground, go to a forge, and magically get ingots. There are processes and tools that you need to use to get what you want.
Even tools are not local. For instance, blast furnace was only available in Gaul'kor. Totally great.

No in-game map. Again, it's not just hardcore for the sake of being hardcore. It really gives you the feeling of exploring, and actually trying to learn your way around the map, and not just rely on some GPS style in-game map (like they had for instance in DarkFall).

So, idea-wise, this game (subjectively, I guess) is the best.

Also, let me say a word about implementation.
Yes, it was lacking. But hey, think about it for a moment: it's an indie MMORPG from more than a decade ago!
People in game dev communities used to say, and still say to this day, that if you don't have many million dollars of budget, forget about it.
MMORPGs are only for billion dollar studios.
But here, an indie team pulled off a decent MMORPG that while it had lots of problems, was more than playable and was great fun.

So, now they have an opportunity to re-implement these great ideas with better, more modern tools (UE4) and more experience!

So, let me just summarize my hopes for MO2 as many people did since the forum came live:
1. Retain the local aspects. No teleports, local banks, local resources.
2. Don't treat crafting, resource gathering and generally all the non combat gaming styles as a secondary aspect of the game, meant to enhance combat. Treat them as legitimate gaming styles in their own right!
3. Boats, ships, islands! Generally, a bigger better map perhaps?
4. I gotta add: you had (in my opinion) a bad riding system at first. Then post Dawn, it was great, and then it reverted to the old one!
I personally think that there should be a way to ride a horse, at a reasonable speed without having to stop for stamina. Having to stop really kills the whole traveling experience.

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Not like everything of value was cramped in the north east corner of the world.

Need to agree that there was too much in the north east.
Mino dungeon with blood silk and tephra on top... Since those are basically the best 2 armor/weapon materials I would preferr them not being in the same region...
But other regions got also resources.
West got Celurite.
Colored forest got Ironwood.
The South got Pansar Scales and Sator dungeon...
MK got 2 spider queens -> Ironsilk.
The "middle": "Medulit->Bakti->Vadda got Salvia.
And I'm sure I forgot quite a few resources.

I like the approach of local resources and I would love to see it again (but maybe this time every area of the map got something unique?).

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Need to agree that there was too much in the north east.
Mino dungeon with blood silk and tephra on top... Since those are basically the best 2 armor/weapon materials I would preferr them not being in the same region...
But other regions got also resources.
West got Celurite.
Colored forest got Ironwood.
The South got Pansar Scales and Sator dungeon...
MK got 2 spider queens -> Ironsilk.
The "middle": "Medulit->Bakti->Vadda got Salvia.
And I'm sure I forgot quite a few resources.

I like the approach of local resources and I would love to see it again (but maybe this time every area of the map got something unique?).
Mino dungeon is far away from North East. Its located in the lower north center if anything.

North east got Tephra, Spider Queen and Risar Dungeon as far as resources.

Then it got crafting appliances like the blast furnace but thats not really resources. And before anyone tries, greater natorus is not north east, Its closer to central steppes and CC than GK.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
honestly having the tephra and blast furnace both up in gk area always seemed strange to me. One of them should be somewhere else. Maybe more at the center of the map.

Reactions: Amadman and Rhias

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Mino dungeon is far away from North East. Its located in the lower north center if anything.

Then it got crafting appliances like the blast furnace but thats not really resources. And before anyone tries, greater natorus is not north east, Its closer to central steppes and CC than GK.
Everything in the North, east of Fabernum, is for me in the NE. :ROFLMAO:

a.out

May 28, 2020
Come on ....
The one thing that wasn't exactly in the corner was *still* in the north. There is simply no arguing that resource distribution was not a thing in MO1. I sure look forward to a proper overhaul in MO2 that incites trade and more fractured conflicts.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElPerro and Rhias

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Come on ....
The one thing that wasn't exactly in the corner was *still* in the north. There is simply no arguing that resource distribution was not a thing in MO1. I sure look forward to a proper overhaul in MO2 that incites trade and more fractured conflicts.
Yeah Mino dungeon still counts as the north to me, it also has pansar scales now that was one of the only unique resources from the jungle. They really n eed to remove some resources from the north and other areas need unique resources too.

Reactions: Teknique and Rhias

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

Haha Bad you were reaching on that one. Gnat is at top keep ahaha, which is just over a ridge from GK

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Placements is not the problem, balance of resources was. Having the best of everything in tephra was a bad choice.

Now if Tindremic Messing was just the same as Oghmium but in color would it still be a issue ?
I always felt if things where balanced and gear wasnt of such importance in difference, the placements where ok.

We also need to consider the lore of the game. Then again living in GK is supposed to be harsh...