Thievery missing from the skill window

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
@Eldrath I would have to think thievery would be switched up some just cause of nature of it.

Though I can see these skills being used a lot more if they weren't primary skills and left as learnable actions. Then anyone can be a full gatherer, full fishing butcher, tamer and dom without having to min max like crazy to get a few extra points in something that could be more viable then a basic learnable skill that can be leveled quickly anyways.

Who knows though, hope it leans more this way to keep all 1200 points wide open for people to really attempt whatever they want.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
It reduces the cost for "jack of all trades" build for sure.

One thing that gets underestimated is the possibility to have a bad "build". This is important so people can figure out what suits them but at the same time there is a reward for deep diving into the system.

Making too many skills secondary or outside of the skillpoint system might cause problems in the core design. Because if you can basically do everything anyway (hyperbole) and only have to choose between "dragon materials" and "oghmium" in the end - why have an elaborate skill system at all? Because at that point it becomes a semi class based system with specialization.

Reactions: Phen

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
It reduces the cost for "jack of all trades" build for sure.

One thing that gets underestimated is the possibility to have a bad "build". This is important so people can figure out what suits them but at the same time there is a reward for deep diving into the system.

Making too many skills secondary or outside of the skillpoint system might cause problems in the core design. Because if you can basically do everything anyway (hyperbole) and only have to choose between "dragon materials" and "oghmium" in the end - why have an elaborate skill system at all? Because at that point it becomes a semi class based system with specialization.

I completely get what you are saying. Though its 5 completely different things. A fisherman could be a full butcher, thats 1200ish. But they wouldn't be able to craft anything, or have any other profession.

But you bring up a build that wasn't possible beforehand. You couldn't put 70 into all your skills and get away with everything. Now you'll have that for a general gatherer profession. Which brings in enough money to figure out what combat you like.

I did put a lot of thought into it. Crafters wouldn't be stuck choosing as little either. If they liked medium armor and swords. They can make both in steel, supplying themselves fully with gear at least. It does take awhile unless you already know what to go for.

I think it brings more to the players though, as none of those skills are combat based nor should effect combat itself. Though we have seen thieves in battles.

Reactions: Eldrath

Philthie

Sep 13, 2020
No thievery would be a deal breaker for me. I really hope they dont water it down either.

Its the thrill of the getaway chase and the scoping out targets.

Out of curiosity did anyone ever play Assassins Creed Online Multiplayer think it might have been 2 or 3 cant remember never really played many of them but it was that sort of asymetrical experience of the getaway and evasion trickery. Was one of the most fun multiplayers I ever played.

Sort of like the splinter cell double agent multiplayer. Hard to find good experiences like that but I would consider those similar to why its so damn fun to be the thief.

Sorry for all the edits on mobile phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phen and Eldrath

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
No thievery would be a deal breaker for me. I really hope they dont water it down either.

Out of curiosity did anyone ever play Assassins Creed Online Multiplayer think it might have been 2 or 3 cant remember never really played many of them but it was that sort of asymetrical experience of the getaway and evasion trickery. Was one of the most fun multiplayers I ever played.

Sort of like the splinter cell double agent multiplayer. Hard to find good experiences like that but I would consider those similar to why its so damn fun to be the thief.

Yeah thievery was a hit and run play style that gave a great way to enjoy MO shenanigans. That's why i think they wanna change it up some and make it harder then before at the same time bring new light to it. The flagging system just messed up how much a thief could really do. Now they are talking about some reputation based living, so thieves should be able to get a lot more crafty this time around. Assuming people will just make bad reports to get a player banned, although i feel like thieves will have a new way to haggle with guards and bribing them completely out of the picture. Or possibly having a good reputation will help someone out being a thief, as guards would "feel" a general trust for you helping their empire. Maybe...

For the other skills we are talking about, they really don't need to be a primary as anyone can figure out how to cut a tree or mine a rock. With a tutor, you should gain some instant stating up to like 10 just cause you learned from an individual who does it for a living. Most likely thieving would not fall into this because i feel like its more of a skill of illusion and misleading players, over a reliable profession. Which i personally think it deserves its own place completely away from gathering professions.

I believe thieving is just getting its own kind of overhaul all around. Who knows, maybe we will be able to be spys for warring Empires. Then we start politics directly in game with reputation being a huge factor when working with or against an Empire. Making a thief super valuable if they are truly an illusive master of the shadow. We shall see!

-Phen

Pierre

Sep 7, 2020

As fun as thievery may seem, it is a net negative to the health of the game. The average thief will not steal more than a few gold coins, or a cheap gear piece from another player. The impact to older, veteran players is negligible, while even a few gold coins would be astronomical to a newer player. Thievery would be just another grief mechanic that will contribute in driving off these new players, causing MO2 to experience the same downfalls that occurred in MO1.

It is in the best interests of the game to either remove thievery or greatly reduce its scope.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i'll wait till they come out with more information about how thievery will be implemented before passing judgement, but in the past it was horribly broken and then once nerfed was mostly used as a griefing tool since there was still no risk to the thief (aside from an afk timeout once in a while).

there was no way to prevent thieves from attempting to steal from you. even if you know the guy is a thief, you have to wait for them to attempt a pilfer before you can take action while they sprint away at 120dex speeds. hopefully they change it so it is high risk, high reward, instead of zero risk, low reward

-barcode

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
As fun as thievery may seem, it is a net negative to the health of the game. The average thief will not steal more than a few gold coins, or a cheap gear piece from another player. The impact to older, veteran players is negligible, while even a few gold coins would be astronomical to a newer player. Thievery would be just another grief mechanic that will contribute in driving off these new players, causing MO2 to experience the same downfalls that occurred in MO1.

It is in the best interests of the game to either remove thievery or greatly reduce its scope.

I did not steal much, but when I did it was from veterans. Expensive skillbooks, blueprints, potions.

Full loot and PvP are also just grief mechanics by that logic. Thievery is part of the original vision for Mortal Online and with good reason. It introduces a low scale risk to high security places. It was a big niche for players to enjoy the sandbox. Taking it away would hurt MO2.

There were obvious problems with the system which warant a re-design though.

Philthie

Sep 13, 2020

Anyone who leaves the game over losing 2 gold coins was probably going to leave once they walked outside town and got ganged by 5 guys on horses who took everything they owned anyway.

Plus they bubblewrap people in Haven now do they not?

I also find it amusing that you claim it rewards you with a couple of measly gold or a cheap armour piece and then continue on to suggest they should "greatly reduce its scope".

Oscar

May 30, 2020
Catalonia, Spain
www.youtube.com
i kinda hope thievery is removed. It was pretty lame and just used to grief new players, and the only counter to it was something obscure that new players wouldn't understand.

I want new people to play this game. Not get griefed out.
I am surprised to read what you have written. When I started playing they robbed me a lot, like everyone else, and that didn't make me abandon the game, on the contrary, it made me want to be the thief myself. There was even a time when he only paid the subscription to be able to steal. The same happens with the warrior, when they kill you you have two options:
1. get to be better and face until you learn.
2.Go to play hello kitty online.
Of course we all want there to be players in the game but even rats like ibarruri have been able to survive and grow in their own way within the world of Nave, you have to be minimally hard to play this game and that is its essence.

Jakkob

Oct 14, 2020
i kinda hope thievery is removed. It was pretty lame and just used to grief new players, and the only counter to it was something obscure that new players wouldn't understand.

One of the main mechanics of the game IS griefing, I do agree that the new player experience really needs to be improved upon. Perhaps a longer fledgling status would help, the major thing in question here is the morality of players. Reds shouldn't be able to be anywhere close to starter areas, RPK slaughtering noobs in the Tindrem gardens was proof of that.

The problem with it all is MO isn't a game that hand holds in the slightest, nor should it, however newer players need to be able to start somewhere. From reviews I've seen a lot of people who are new just don't know what to do, where to go, or really even the point of the game.

May 28, 2020
If you do not use npc cities thievery might as well not exist. This tells us there is something wrong with the skill and it actually does penalize new player who did not move out of npc cities yet. There has to be a way to improve this.

Reactions: Xunila

Rulant

May 30, 2020
I spoke with @Sebastian Persson recently and he said that a lot of the skills planned for the full release aren't in the game yet. Thievery skill tree would be among them. Just like a large portion of the game world isn't in the game yet, along with other races, mobs, towns, etc.

I don't think they will leave thievery out of the game, it just wouldn't be MO2 without it. It would be like Windows OS without windows. Or a laptop without a built-in screen. You get the idea.
dude they already said magic might not be in when it goes persistent if they don't have thievery either what is the point in even playing

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
dude they already said magic might not be in when it goes persistent if they don't have thievery either what is the point in even playing
From the MO2 FAQ: https://www.mortalonline2.com/faq/
Regarding magic,
"The magic schools will be implemented over time, and will most likely only start with the first basic school in persistent release."

Regarding thievery,
"Thievery will be rebuilt to work better with the new flagging system and have better systems for players to both protect against but also steal from other players."

Magic and thievery is in MO1's (and now MO2's) DNA, without them the game will cease to be MO2.

Rulant

May 30, 2020
From the MO2 FAQ: https://www.mortalonline2.com/faq/
Regarding magic,
"The magic schools will be implemented over time, and will most likely only start with the first basic school in persistent release."

Regarding thievery,
"Thievery will be rebuilt to work better with the new flagging system and have better systems for players to both protect against but also steal from other players."

Magic and thievery is in MO1's (and now MO2's) DNA, without them the game will cease to be MO2.
I know what FAQ says but Henrik in discord said ecu might not be on persistent release.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I know what FAQ says but Henrik in discord said ecu might not be on persistent release.
I'm sure they'll release it at some point, just like they didn't release crafting, vendors or player trading and other features until now. I think they just want to be careful with how and when they release content.

Also, I would think they gave us a mana stat for a reason.

Fortuona

Jun 17, 2020
NC USA

Sir Officer Doofy Reporting in. We have a situation Sir. My thief skill has been stolen! Over

Reactions: MaDeuce

Jakkob

Oct 14, 2020
A lot of you are forgetting that the conversion from UE4 to UE5 probably has allowed them some room to be able to convert over blueprints easily, the scripts needing slight modification. The hard part for SV is over of creating the server elements (until stress test I'd imagine, although UE5 is more compatible with MMOs than UE4). This is how they are implementing everything so quickly, even if they are not reusing assets (which would be kind of dumb not to with some stuff), they still have reference to their past work.