The Game isn't Ready [Poll]

Should they delay persistence (Full release)?

• Total voters

Sol Dura

Nov 27, 2020
Indifferent; the opinion of someone without full access to their business and investors is simply an uninformed speculation. Whether they should release depends on their:
  1. Business strategy
  2. Financials
  3. Progress vs Internal roadmap
  4. Codebase and asset maturity
  5. Rate of internal development progress
  6. Investor/board support
That's how business works, regardless of what we are shown. We experience what SV want us to test, when they want it tested, how they want it tested. As a developer, it's not always necessary to give users everything and the kitchen sink to test when you have very specific testing goals.

They know their game. They know their team. They know their environment. They will move into persistent state early access when they move into it because they think that it's the optimal time to do so based upon all data points at hand no matter how any of us perceive this decision, it will be the decision SV thinks is the best for the success of their game; even if it ultimately results in failure.

No developer knowingly works against their own self interest and speculation makes fools of us all. I guarantee SV have a great deal more knowledge than anyone in this thread on the state of their game so whatever decision they make, wait or not, will be their best decision based on their pooled knowledge and experience of the unseen.
As someone who's worked in software for 23 years, I recognise this completely!

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
We get one character. We get to pick our race once.

Based on my best guess of the options available I'm leaning between mounted Oghmir melee/mage hybrid and Alvarin mage/tamer at this point. These decisions are based on how the new magic, taming, and mounted combat systems feel. I want to play with these systems and see how they work before I make a final decision on what race I will be playing.

Magic, taming, and mounts are all very important parts of Mortal Online. I think we should have them before the game goes persistent.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
and ways to get over walls for raids and what not but it can take a while to do/be dangerous or easy to interrupt or whatever, just relatively cheap and not require blowing up a wall

so far, in the new "mino" dungeon there are some areas which seem to be reachable only with a ladder. might be an indication that ladders will make their way into the game

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
Can't believe people even want TC after what it did to MO1. That should be the LAST priority for Henrik and his team. We need combat balance and depth, then engaging PvE and crafting content and that will retain a player base.

TC is the only real infinite content loop in a game like this, sorry but fighting the same scripted bots over and over isn't a real content loop.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
I don't think that all finished features are already in the game. StarVault gives us something to test but internally the development will be somewhere else. Ti would not like to see all animals, plants and dungeons already in beta. In this case players could already find the "best" location to live and even "secret" spots and maybe strategies for dungeons before release. But this all should be done after release.

In alpha and beta we should test core features! Not every detail of long term play style. Taking the current roadmap (which should be updated btw), the only missing features for November are flagging system and weather. The next steps are e.g. mounts, taming and domination.

And I agree to posts of other players that we don't need housing or TC in the first weeks. We have to skill up, explore the finished world, find good locations to live.

Reactions: Rhias

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I would like MO to go persistent ASAP.
As long as fighting system is running ok and the very basics are technically ready for it.

Skilling up and getting to know the territory is going to be enough to keep me busy for a month or so.
Keeping the game in beta for too long will only slowdown its development.
It is hard to ask players to spend a lot of time in game and get proper feedback when we can expect our stuff to be wiped in server restarts.
Fighting systems can be checked in beta but economy and politics need persistent world to be adjusted according to players experience.

I would gladly pay sub to be able to start building up my "little empire" and probably many fans of MO too.
If players do not think it is worth to pay for the game without TC and all the other systems we had in MO1 then they can wait and join later.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I too once thought so, couldnt wait for MO launch. It was way too soon and the game suffered heavily for it.

As long as fighting system is running ok and the very basics are technically ready for it.

Skilling up and getting to know the territory is going to be enough to keep me busy for a month or so.
It is hard to ask players to spend a lot of time in game and get proper feedback when we can expect our stuff to be wiped in server restarts.
Fighting systems can be checked in beta but economy and politics need persistent world to be adjusted according to players experience.

I would gladly pay sub to be able to start building up my "little empire" and probably many fans of MO too.
If players do not think it is worth to pay for the game without TC and all the other systems we had in MO1 then they can wait and join later.
What happens when PvPers are there and all others wait for content ?
Once that content comes, what then happens is too many wolves built up for years and fresh sheep not ready for the ensuing slaughter.

Then what happens is the devs make things easier for the sheep so they can grow and wolves start leaving. In the end there is a broken population that tries to get better but due to the broken game wont ever.

You will never catch up to gamers as developers if you start off far behind. Players attention span is way quicker than developers content creation.
That is the story of MO, not to be repeated with MO2 I hope...

Last edited:

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I too once thought so, couldnt wait for MO launch. It was way too soon and the game suffered heavily for it.

What happens when PvPers are there and all others wait for content ?
Once that content comes, what then happens is too many wolves built up for years and fresh sheep not ready for the ensuing slaughter.

Then what happens is the devs make things easier for the sheep so they can grow and wolves start leaving. In the end there is a broken population that tries to get better but due to the broken game wont ever.

You will never catch up to gamers as developers if you start off far behind. Players attention span is way quicker than developers content creation.
That is the story of MO, not to be repeated with MO2 I hope...
I am far from being one of the wolves my friend:)rather one of those "slow children",lol

It is rather easy to join the game at any stage and make impact on the server.
Accumulated stack of gold do not mean that much.It is more about players personality and talents.

We all remember players chased out of MO1 by RPK when the game lunched on Steam.
Some players will find the way to abuse others with very little resources it is part of their nature no matter
when they start playing.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
One thing that hasn´t been mentioned yet is the UI. Personally I think there are a lot of problems with it and while it is improved from the first game it´s not exactly smooth. It does not even work properly on low resolutions.

Chat (which is kinda important in a sandbox) is also very simple. You should have more options to customize it. I don´t wanna read you heathen non sense in "general", but I do want to have both local/yell/combat in one channel.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
One thing that hasn´t been mentioned yet is the UI. Personally I think there are a lot of problems with it and while it is improved from the first game it´s not exactly smooth. It does not even work properly on low resolutions.

Chat (which is kinda important in a sandbox) is also very simple. You should have more options to customize it. I don´t wanna read you heathen non sense in "general", but I do want to have both local/yell/combat in one channel.

There is a bug I noticed that when you right click or left click certain items in your inventory you just flat out stop moving entirely.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020

I'm just saying you think that's a good idea but it isn't - you know what happens when you do that? You start to get longer and longer times in-between patches, what happens if the game is persistent and something really broken is in the game? Whether it be the magic, the mounteds, specific weapons, or what if a horrible bug comes up and everytime you do X you die and lose your stuff and the GM's can't help you get it? What if a dupe pops up and people dupe and the GM's or Star Vault don't know how to stop it or prevent it from happening for a period of time?

You talk about being glad to pay a sub for building up a 'little empire' but you don't understand the ramifications of the game having no wipe and no longer enjoying the comforts of infinite materials, maxed skills, and everyone running the same speed. I think it's very much the way a sheep thinks IMO.

Also how does the logic of we can't get proper feedback when things wipe? I'm not sure I entirely follow this. If the game went persistent today, everything that was in the alpha presently known and unknown would still be there. There hasn't been a patch yet for content, and the only difference now is if you die you lose everything in your inventory and on your character with no character deletions from SV. You'd be in the exact same game environment just under different rules.

Keeping a game in beta wouldn't slow down development, it would allow SV to better polish, add, and continue bug fixing before exposing the game to new and old players. First impressions are everything. I can usually give a game at max 1 hour before I know I'll keep playing it - sometimes way less, and I wouldn't blame someone buying MO2 + paying a sub being upset because he has nothing to do, the game desyncs hard, plenty of bugs popping up left and right, etc. and when he goes to complain or ask why people just tell him to wait or the classic "Maybe MO isn't for you." quoted by a guy named Grudge Bringer who'd open his mouth gladly if SV had to take a dump.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Played the first time today, game is far from ready, even if its for an early access persistent release.

The combat is playable, but is a little clunky and needs a lot of work. The map is bigger than MO1 and is also a lot emptier, there needs to be more mobs, materials/items, and dungeons to keep people interested and move around the world while other larger goals are being worked towards. Give something people to work at or towards, give people more to fight an squabble about early. Even if it's basic shit like a few titles or an armor book to work towards, fighting over urial or wisent spawns lol

Basic functions like jumping and scaling terrain need more work done towards them. Walking and jumping over rocks is super glitchy and at times frustrating. The Bakti trees invisible barriers are an annoyance too, then there's other places like this found around the map.

Optimization needs work still, I don't expect a constant 140+ fps at all times, the game is young in it's life and it's not something achieved overnight - But I'm running a decent setup (1080Ti, 10700k, 32gb 3200Mhz) and FPS is inconsistent, some areas are fine with well over 100 fps, then other areas are running 40 fps with very little on screen. Then there's the networking side of things, noticeable player model warping when they're swinging around each other etc

People will only populate an empty world for so long until they get bored. First impressions are very important, especially in the indie video game industry. A bad EA launch has seen many games die before they even start to flourish.

SV will be asking the masses to not only spend money on buying the game, but monthly subscription too, for the aforementioned. 1 more month isn't enough time.

Last edited:

Darran

May 28, 2020
There simply isn't enough content for a release. A more realistic timeline would seem to be next summer release or something, when the game actually has enough content for people to play it. You rushed MO 1 release, please don't repeat your mistake.