The Game isn't Ready [Poll]

Should they delay persistence (Full release)?

• Total voters

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
You guys are acting like going "persistent" means release, it doesn't. It just means a persistent world in early access, just like this alpha/beta is already early access. So the persistent part is only the next step in the early access, which we already have. If you want to call that a release then this game has already been released.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
You guys are acting like going "persistent" means release, it doesn't. It just means a persistent world in early access, just like this alpha/beta is already early access. So the persistent part is only the next step in the early access, which we already have. If you want to call that a release then this game has already been released.
What players string along with release is no more wipes.

So release is whenever they start the server after the last wipe.
Thats just how persistent games work.

Reactions: Xunila

Zeerey

Nov 28, 2020
We don't know what they have ready for the EA

Actually we do know based on what Henrik said on stream, Persistence will consist of a few additional fauna, Guards, Riser and the basic school of magic plus everything that was in beta with slightly more polish on it and the crafting system.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Henrik himself called it early access himself.
But everything is early access nowadays, so it's all blurry anyway.

Darran

May 28, 2020
Henrik himself called it early access himself.
But everything is early access nowadays, so it's all blurry anyway.

Early access, which is in this case a persistent alpha/beta is not ideal and people will think of it as release of MO 2. I truly hope SV will not release a shell of game but will instead work on it more so we actually have proper amount of content and a proper release of MO 2.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
from what I gathered from Henrik's recent stream was we are supposed to get persistence very soon, but then a wipe around Jan for the next phase.

• Haha
Reactions: Xunila

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Early access, which is in this case a persistent alpha/beta is not ideal and people will think of it as release of MO 2. I truly hope SV will not release a shell of game but will instead work on it more so we actually have proper amount of content and a proper release of MO 2.
I'm not saying it's good, but it is what it is. I'm obviously opposed to any public releases without the core features in the game myself.

Reactions: Magos

Zeerey

Nov 28, 2020
So just to clarify for everyone who seems confused and Moderators please correct me if I am wrong.

The persistence launch that Henrik is talking about is Launching into Early Access on steam meaning no more wipes and people will be buying and paying for a subscription for a shell of a game. This information is coming directly from the stream over the weekend with Henrik.

The reason this poll was made is because we as players who are here on the forums are interested to see where the game goes and how well its done we care about that kind of stuff and will most likely be the ones to stick around but once it is launched on steam it will be introduced to people who have never seen or looked into MO2 they will expect an EA title yes but they will expect it to have most of the CORE features and Mechanics in game and when they play it they will quickly realize that it is a shell of a game and tear it apart on steam reviews killing the possible population before the game really gets any traction and it will be MO1 all over again dead.......

So I really hope that they don't go into persistence with the game as it is because there are no content loops in place and no real reason for players to play aside from fighting. Ill even be kind and explain what is planned for persistence below

-Combat, It was said they want to finish polishing combat off before persistence based on the feedback as well as add in a few more features Im assuming some type of weapon skills and feinting
-Fauna, It was very clearly stated they are only adding minimal fauna currently to keep a high level of polish on their Creatures and AI behind them, so maybe a few more animals then Guards and Rizers
-Map, They are planning to add in all the cities in the game but with Tindrem they are only creating the main district of the city for persistence the rest will come later, They also intend to use the data gathered from the stress test to better optimize performance
-Magic, They are only intending to add the main basic school of magic for persistence launch
-Crafting, They are going to polish crafting but Im unsure on how much they plan to add and change to the systems before persistence I didn't ask too much about this

-----

That leaves the game to be an empty shell in my opinion there is no real gameplay with these systems in place they need to give us more to work with but thats just what I think so say what you will I stand by what I said in the post and hope this helps clear things up for those of you that were or are confused

Rhias

May 28, 2020
from what I gathered from Henrik's recent stream was we are supposed to get persistence very soon, but then a wipe around Jan for the next phase.
Not sure if you understood the word persistent. It means there won't be any wipe's after it.

Reactions: Zbuciorn and Xunila

TARG3T

Nov 26, 2020
As a new player to MO...

I can see the idea behind letting players buy the game in its current state to help in testing mechanics and drum up some additional funding, totally get that. As it is dedicated players who understand what MO2 is and will be are already buying to get in and help out. Launching into early access just puts it out there for more to jump in and help push the game to its potential. Even though I probably would because i am enjoying it that much, I don't think a monthly subscription (even with a persistent world) is a wise move right now without the addition of a few more mechanics. More / level-able crafting skills, basic magic, more fauna and PvE AI. (I know everything is max for testing purposes, but growth / xp gain should be tested before full persistent as well)

I am all for supporting the devs, even monthly (have not even considered a sub game since initial WoW release until MO2) with enough features to dig into.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
from unfinished combat alpha to persistance... only maniacs can create the best game of the universe.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
Not sure if you understood the word persistent. It means there won't be any wipe's after it.
not sure what you dont understand about we could go through a month of persistent gameplay then get a wipe. Cause he did mention a wipe in Jan, so what would there be to wipe if we weren't playing a persistent version?

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
So just to clarify for everyone who seems confused and Moderators please correct me if I am wrong.

The persistence launch that Henrik is talking about is Launching into Early Access on steam meaning no more wipes and people will be buying and paying for a subscription for a shell of a game. This information is coming directly from the stream over the weekend with Henrik.

The reason this poll was made is because we as players who are here on the forums are interested to see where the game goes and how well its done we care about that kind of stuff and will most likely be the ones to stick around but once it is launched on steam it will be introduced to people who have never seen or looked into MO2 they will expect an EA title yes but they will expect it to have most of the CORE features and Mechanics in game and when they play it they will quickly realize that it is a shell of a game and tear it apart on steam reviews killing the possible population before the game really gets any traction and it will be MO1 all over again dead.......

So I really hope that they don't go into persistence with the game as it is because there are no content loops in place and no real reason for players to play aside from fighting. Ill even be kind and explain what is planned for persistence below

-Combat, It was said they want to finish polishing combat off before persistence based on the feedback as well as add in a few more features Im assuming some type of weapon skills and feinting
-Fauna, It was very clearly stated they are only adding minimal fauna currently to keep a high level of polish on their Creatures and AI behind them, so maybe a few more animals then Guards and Rizers
-Map, They are planning to add in all the cities in the game but with Tindrem they are only creating the main district of the city for persistence the rest will come later, They also intend to use the data gathered from the stress test to better optimize performance
-Magic, They are only intending to add the main basic school of magic for persistence launch
-Crafting, They are going to polish crafting but Im unsure on how much they plan to add and change to the systems before persistence I didn't ask too much about this

-----

That leaves the game to be an empty shell in my opinion there is no real gameplay with these systems in place they need to give us more to work with but thats just what I think so say what you will I stand by what I said in the post and hope this helps clear things up for those of you that were or are confused

I don't think that you will need to pay sub for the "persistent" release. would be a kick in the nether regions to the players, especially if there is gonna be a wipe in Jan, as postulated.

my understanding was that the "persistent release" is a fancy world for a semi-open beta, which would then lead to the full release (hopefully after January though, as it still feels to early).

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
I don't think that all finished features are already in the game. StarVault gives us something to test but internally the development will be somewhere else. Ti would not like to see all animals, plants and dungeons already in beta. In this case players could already find the "best" location to live and even "secret" spots and maybe strategies for dungeons before release. But this all should be done after release.

In alpha and beta we should test core features! Not every detail of long term play style. Taking the current roadmap (which should be updated btw), the only missing features for November are flagging system and weather. The next steps are e.g. mounts, taming and domination.

And I agree to posts of other players that we don't need housing or TC in the first weeks. We have to skill up, explore the finished world, find good locations to live.

well not excatly. as someone else said, releasing non-tested content straight into the live game is extremely dangerous fot the playerbase: bugs, dupes, exploits, balance issues. all while players are paying to pay the game.

I do agree though about secrets and exploration etc amd the fact that this should not be in beta.
that depends on how SV handles the beta. They can, for instance, scramble the numbers of crafting materials during beta (just to test the core mechanics) or spawn mobs in random locations (even just next to towns) to test the AI and behavior. then, once all is done and tested, the final world will have the proper values, resource locations, monster locations etc etc.

Though I'm not sure if they will do that.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
I don't think that you will need to pay sub for the "persistent" release. would be a kick in the nether regions to the players, especially if there is gonna be a wipe in Jan, as postulated.

my understanding was that the "persistent release" is a fancy world for a semi-open beta, which would then lead to the full release (hopefully after January though, as it still feels to early).
it does feel early for the game. BUT, they are adding stuff real fast. We'll see, but I'm an optimist I think they will surprise many with how fast they plop in major systems in the coming weeks.

Legendary Man

Jul 4, 2020
Can we get an official response on the timeline expectation for persistence, and or if there will be a sub involved when that happens? Also, does this means there will be a big "buy now" button on Steam?

If so, I would make sure the game sits in the oven for a few more months and get more systems in place or Mortal 2 will have a hard time reaching its full potential.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
I don't think that all finished features are already in the game. StarVault gives us something to test but internally the development will be somewhere else. Ti would not like to see all animals, plants and dungeons already in beta. In this case players could already find the "best" location to live and even "secret" spots and maybe strategies for dungeons before release. But this all should be done after release.

In alpha and beta we should test core features! Not every detail of long term play style. Taking the current roadmap (which should be updated btw), the only missing features for November are flagging system and weather. The next steps are e.g. mounts, taming and domination.

And I agree to posts of other players that we don't need housing or TC in the first weeks. We have to skill up, explore the finished world, find good locations to live.
I dont get why housing at least wouldn't be in relatively soon...I mean why can't they just pop in MO1 housing with updated graphics?

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
I dont get why housing at least wouldn't be in relatively soon...I mean why can't they just pop in MO1 housing with updated graphics?
If SV just re-uses the MO1 TC mechanics without changing anything, then they've learned absolutely nothing and MO2 is in deep trouble.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
We really need 1. Aggresive options for combat 2. Taming and Mounts 3. Housing to be ready for release or game is DOA after the negative reviews. Think it through SV...

Reactions: Goltarion

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
We really need 1. Aggresive options for combat 2. Taming and Mounts 3. Housing to be ready for release or game is DOA after the negative reviews. Think it through SV...
Considering how well SV planned for the MO1 Steam launch, I have full trust that they won't release MO2 until it's as polished and complete as Star Citizen.

• Haha
Reactions: Treibholz