Suggestion - Paperdoll Equipment Overhaul

Do you think any of these redesigns look better than the current UI in game?

• Total voters

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Greetings dear reader,

In this thread I will put forth several concoctions I have formulated that come in the form of redesigns of the equipment slots in the paperdoll window.

Before we begin, it makes sense to have the current configuration as a reference:
Default.png
figure 0

Let us begin.

Here are the designs starting with my personal favourite ( and recommended ) :

MO2_Paperdoll_Edit_v01.jpg
figure 1 - My recommendation

MO2_Paperdoll_Edit_v02.jpg
figure 2 - an alternate design

From here onward they are iterations of figure 1, as such they are quite similar.

MO2_Paperdoll_Edit_v03.jpg
figure 3

MO2_Paperdoll_Edit_v04.jpg
figure 4

MO2_Paperdoll_Edit_v05.jpg
figure 5

All of these designs follow the same ideal, that equipment slots should represent where you would logically expect particular items to be located on the body.

Thus, the amulet is located just below the helmet, with the cape and quiver on either side in my recommended designs.

Now a little explanation on that last part about the quiver:

I am well aware that quivers were often worn on the hip and not on the back, however this depends on how Starvault wants to display the quiver on the body, and the UI can of course be adjusted to fit whatever location they choose to have the quiver.

From a gameplay point of view, it makes sense to have the quiver located directly under the primary weapon slot, as that is where your bow would be. However subjectively and aesthetically I prefer to have it in the shoulder slot for symmetry.

I believe these designs to be far superior to the current in game configuration aesthetically and functionally, however I do realise that this is heavily subjective.

As an additional bonus, I would also suggest a change to the UI when looting a player, to include this new UI configuration next to their inventory for easier less cluttered looting.
MO2_PlayerLooting_Edit_v01.jpg
This would make looting a player much easier and more polished, as you know exactly where to look for a particular item. For instance, if you killed someone in a large fight and decide to commit the mortal (pun intended) sin of combat looting, you can quickly retrieve that oghmium helmet you saw him wearing without having to scan over a large jumbled mess of icons like in MO1 and currently MO2.

The same could potentially apply for looting bandits or guards that may drop equipment that conforms to these slots such as swords and pieces of armor.

In case you were wondering, no I have not forgotten about the secondary set of weapon slots from the original design, those slots can easily be added underneath the primary weapon slots. ( I just didn't want to add them for every iteration )

This brings us to the end of my post.

Thank you for reading and I would love to hear any feedback you have on potentially improving these designs, don't be shy.

I only have one favor to ask of you, and that is if you do decide to vote no on the poll, please take the time to leave a comment explaining why.

Last edited:

Valoran

May 28, 2020
They make things look too nice and easy which is the antithesis of hardcore game design. Voted no.
I appreciate the humor, but skewing poll results for the sake of it is unfortunate.

If you are serious though and you believe that the UI should be difficult to use then by all means don't change your vote.

Chalice

May 28, 2020
I voted yes. My favorite version is number 3. I also very much enjoy the inventory redesign. All of these are more immersive than the current UI, easier to read and more in line with the Mortal world and vibe.

Rennuir

May 28, 2020
voted yes looks a lot better than how it is currently i prefer figure 1 the others will end up giving me ocd

the looting inventory and character change is actually an interesting idea itd help make it a lot more organized for looting with that added

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
I voted no, but.. I would still support the switch if it were made. It's more logical, but your question was if we thought it looked better. I think the full formation paperdolls look like trash, but, they're way more intuitive, and I think that's worth sacrificing aesthetics. Visually I like what we have now better, but having it split into 3 columns: (Defensive equipment / Preview / Offensive equipment) like that, is a bit odd. It's not so hard to understand that it's a MUST change (especially when right clicking auto-equips things to the right slot), but it could certainly be better.

I like that you took the time to actually make mock-ups of your re-designs rather than just complaining and then attempting to put your own suggestions into words, like most people would have. Good stuff.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
P.S. Also a really big fan of the idea of adding the side-bar to looting other people where it shows the gear slots. Helps differentiate what gear they were wearing, and what gear they picked up as well. It sacrifices a bit of screen space, but it's worth it for sure.

Jhackman

Jun 6, 2020
i like the ui for the char screen but the side bar for looting would make it a little easier to auto click while looting.

Reactions: KermyWormy

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I agree with ThaBadMan. Figure 2 is the best one.

Space between the slots, which is easy on the eyes, lines up in a manner that correlates good in where on your character they are located and having the quiver slot next to your weapons makes sense as it feels more like it belongs to your weapons than it belongs to on your back and is a less cluttery position to look for it.

Reactions: Najwalaylah