rework item/material lifecycle (drop/repair/salvage)

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
it was a constant problem in MO that items could not be reworked. sure you loot a decent sword but maybe you've got axe skill so its of no use to you. some way to recover the raw materials in the item so it could be reforged into something you'd use would make all items valuable. it could be at a low rate even but it would give used items purpose.

on top of this, it shouldnt be possible to 'destroy' items as it is in MO1. instead it should be possible to drop items, where they will pool in a lootbag on the ground, waiting for the normal lootbag timeout to disappear. perhaps doing so within towns would be excessive so instead towns would have all dropped items go to a trash heap where they decay for the lootbag timer until gone.

this removes the problem of grief-destroying where if you know you're facing death, you'd just destroy items to prevent your attackers from gaining them. Also this prevents attackers from destroying items they cant take with them like heavy ores. perhaps new tactics would evolve where you would drop something valuable to distract attackers while you make a getaway. perhaps you could drop something where they dont see you so you can circle back to pick it up later. Also this fixes the issue of accidently being over-burdened when combat starts and being unable to destroy items to get under your max carry weight.

damaged items should be repairable, reducing their maximum durability but bringing them back up to their original damage/protection numbers. this would not be free but would require some of the same type of materials the item was crafted with.

items/materials would always have some salvage value, and may end up in circulation longer than they would have previously. As a result, material generation rates may need to be reduced to compensate. this kind of balance cannot be neglected.

-barcode

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Henrik has said they are adding some forms of this.

i really appreciate the alternative to destroying items suggestion you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatWins

CHUBBS90

Jun 11, 2020
Yeah, good idea, you should be able to drop items individually (you could always /dropall or whatever it was, which seemed pointless).

I agree you shouldn't be able to destroy items to prevent players from getting it. I would like to see robbery encouraged.

Repairs and salvage, hell yes to that idea.

If needed to have "destroy" item, then only allow at banks / in town and / or let us vendor junk.
Maybe give us an auto-destroy option for when crafting 100+ spongewood swords. Or actually, a salvage anywhere option, we wouldn't want to destroy it, we would salvage the junk swords for some return of spongewood.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
100% agree with everything in OP.

If they can pull off the drop item thing then maybe they can make it where when you drop something it checks the area and can places your dropped items into any bags that are already near buy. This could make it harder to spam dropped items and maybe be easier on systems.

Also it could change to a crate or something if many things get put in it.

To further help limit how much it strains things, maybe even have max items in the crate that are deleted in a first in first out way.

Not only would this come in handy in crafting areas, banks and such, I think there would also be possibilities for players to use such a mechanic in events as well.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
maybe even full repair but for the same costs as news without less max max durability than we can finally have legendary weapons, like a kill counter on weapons would be awesome. please OP write that in your suggestion.

a kill counter would be awesome and a full repair for higher costs. than we can finally create weapons with history.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
My problem with repairing waepons or armor is the skill level. A person without any weapon crafting skill should not be able to repair a weapon at all. Or maybe repair by 10% dura only, while a full skilled crafter could repair up to 80%.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
My problem with repairing waepons or armor is the skill level. A person without any weapon crafting skill should not be able to repair a weapon at all. Or maybe repair by 10% dura only, while a full skilled crafter could repair up to 80%.

Agreed, players should have to search out skilled players to do these repairs for them. Though SV could possibly add tools to make this easier for players to do.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
maybe with max level and same materials as new weapon crafting full repair to 100% dura. costs same as making weapon new. but its still the same weapon. than add a kill counter and a PVE mob kill counter and we could make unique legendary weapons that can be around for ages. that would be awesome. would stillr equire 100% of same materials. so still balanced.

CHUBBS90

Jun 11, 2020
In response to above comments:
It shouldn't be the same cost. It should be relative to the percentage of durability left. I.e. if it takes 200 steel to make a great sword and your great sword is at 50% durability then it should cost 50%*200 = 100 steel to max repair it.

Salvaging should be fully proficient by anyone, make it a secondary skill, no lore required.

Repairs, idk If you should need the lore/skill to do. Trying to find someone to repair your gear for you is probably going to suck. Would be better off salvaging and selling mats to buy new gear. Maybe that is ok.

Alrashid

Jun 1, 2020
Germany
I allways wanted to melt armors and weapons in mo1 ... but it should just be possible with metals. would make no sense with bone and Dense, scales or secendery materials

CHUBBS90

Jun 11, 2020
I allways wanted to melt armors and weapons in mo1 ... but it should just be possible with metals. would make no sense with bone and Dense, scales or secendery materials
Don't let logic/sense get infront of a good game mechanic.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

It may only make sense for metal with melting. However there could be other processes to salvaging materials other than melting. A bone, scale or tooth used in a weapon or armor would still be a bone, scale or tooth. You would just have to disassemble it someway. Same would go with almost all other mats used as well. Most would probably even be easier to salvage than the metals.

CHUBBS90

Jun 11, 2020
Just call it salvage, and let it work similar to refine I.e. do it anywhere without a bench, and secondary skill.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I like the smelting down of junked weapons and reclaiming resources, and also the repairing function, just have to balance it so as we're still having a lot of these resources we create thru like standard extraction methods and reclamation along with repair all combine in such a way that enough of these materials are still being removed from the economy to counter the, however inevitable it may be, accumulation that will devalue all the raw resources over time.

Also, I'd like it if they removed using tooth based materials for armors and weapons outside of maybe spear and arrow tips or something, It just has never made any sense that the bog standard for a cheap armor set was made out of Molars or other tooth material, how can we even explain an armor or weaponcrafter making such things?

Really, they ought to develop all the various kinds of leathers and textiles into being more useful for armors as the main materials and just make those crafts make more sense as to what could sensibly be used to make the various laminated, scale, or plate armors, and balance around those to make sure there is cheap, medium, and high end options.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
Salvage feature sounds like a good idea, although im not sure what it would do to the material economy. But it seems it worked fine in other sandbox games before (think Darkfall had it for example).

Dropping single items would surely be used as a griefing tool by some to lag people out by dropping like 1000 single cuprum coins or some shit like that.

Not sure about repairing weapons in MO1, since i never really used that feature. Was it good the way it was? Could just be used the same way in MO2 then, right?

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Salvage feature sounds like a good idea, although im not sure what it would do to the material economy. But it seems it worked fine in other sandbox games before (think Darkfall had it for example).

Dropping single items would surely be used as a griefing tool by some to lag people out by dropping like 1000 single cuprum coins or some shit like that.

Not sure about repairing weapons in MO1, since i never really used that feature. Was it good the way it was? Could just be used the same way in MO2 then, right?
wouldn't lag at all. the one coin get added to the already existing stack in the trash bin so. yeah. good lukc getting the server to lag so much different items the game dont have evne if you craft there are more requests when oyu open the broker. other games do it too. i think it would be a great idea. its just one day. even if 100 people craft 24/7 you cant get the serve rto lag hell. do you know how small the connection of a sql query is on a website if you do it right even on big databases over 10gb or more a join request of a n:m table take for the sql around 0,000005 seconds, the amount of transfer data can be reduced if you query stuff right.

that the trash bin only loads whats in the trsh bin if someone looks in it, otherwise not loaded. same with player inventory in your client why do your pc needs to know what is in player inventory xy you can query that if you look in lootbag xy so you dont have unessary data tranfered to your client. same with the trash bin. so performance decrease of the trash bin would be zero, so yeah the performance wouldn't suffer as much as dramatic as descriped in the thread. for you as client the impact would be zero, only if you look in the trash bin than the stuff loads so yeah wouldn't impact anythign.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
Ah alright, i dont know anything about that stuff. i just thought if every single item dropped created a lootbag on the ground a mass amount of lootbags in an area would lag people

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Ah alright, i dont know anything about that stuff. i just thought if every single item dropped created a lootbag on the ground a mass amount of lootbags in an area would lag people
the server would say thier is lootbag than you recieve thiers package lootbag. but a guard would nearly insta pick it up and put it to trash bin. we could even make it teleport to trash bin. than there would be no loot bag sitting around. but with lootbags its more fun i guess. true that can impact performacne but if guards collect that fast no problem. but i think insta port to trash bin ist best. no performance loss in any way. only if you look directly in the trash bin.

awesome mechanic whats someones trash could be worth something for someone. i dont think that many items would lay in there for long, many people would scavange it.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Some people have argued that some things are meant to be destroyed, not dropped.

To destroy an item, if a crafted item, a smith with the related skills would have to salvage it, or melt it down completely.

If not an item that anyone could properly ruin, like paper, I say let it be destroyed - but not via drag a drop. To destroy an item would be a channel, where your character would do a paper ripping up animation to show they are destroying something.

This would make it so players would be far more likely to drop than to destroy, unless they really wanted an item gone.