rework item/material lifecycle (drop/repair/salvage)

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
item deletion could happen at specified appliances, like the furnace. it should not be the 'normal' way to remove an item from your inventory

-barcode

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
it was a constant problem in MO that items could not be reworked. sure you loot a decent sword but maybe you've got axe skill so its of no use to you. some way to recover the raw materials in the item so it could be reforged into something you'd use would make all items valuable. it could be at a low rate even but it would give used items purpose.

on top of this, it shouldnt be possible to 'destroy' items as it is in MO1. instead it should be possible to drop items, where they will pool in a lootbag on the ground, waiting for the normal lootbag timeout to disappear. perhaps doing so within towns would be excessive so instead towns would have all dropped items go to a trash heap where they decay for the lootbag timer until gone.

this removes the problem of grief-destroying where if you know you're facing death, you'd just destroy items to prevent your attackers from gaining them. Also this prevents attackers from destroying items they cant take with them like heavy ores. perhaps new tactics would evolve where you would drop something valuable to distract attackers while you make a getaway. perhaps you could drop something where they dont see you so you can circle back to pick it up later. Also this fixes the issue of accidently being over-burdened when combat starts and being unable to destroy items to get under your max carry weight.

damaged items should be repairable, reducing their maximum durability but bringing them back up to their original damage/protection numbers. this would not be free but would require some of the same type of materials the item was crafted with.

items/materials would always have some salvage value, and may end up in circulation longer than they would have previously. As a result, material generation rates may need to be reduced to compensate. this kind of balance cannot be neglected.

-barcode
MO follows the American system of recycling where a broken item is simply discarded and replaced with a better item. No reforge or repairs necessary.

As for "destroying" items, why should it not be possible to destroy items? It's super realistic; I don't want my enemies to use my good gear so I'll wedge this sword between two heavy rocks and lean really hard against it until it snaps. They want my reagants? I don't think so mate, scatter them over dirt. Even in real life when the army doesn't want terrorists to capture their expensive equipment (such as IR sights), they use white phosphorous to destroy their gear quickly and get out. If you can't handle the grief-destroy mechanism, you are a carebear and this game is too hardcore for you. MO1 gave you like 10 seconds to hit the guy again to stop him from deleting, if you can't toss a single spurt in that time you deserve to lose that l00t.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
MO follows the American system of recycling where a broken item is simply discarded and replaced with a better item. No reforge or repairs necessary.

As for "destroying" items, why should it not be possible to destroy items? It's super realistic; I don't want my enemies to use my good gear so I'll wedge this sword between two heavy rocks and lean really hard against it until it snaps. They want my reagants? I don't think so mate, scatter them over dirt. Even in real life when the army doesn't want terrorists to capture their expensive equipment (such as IR sights), they use white phosphorous to destroy their gear quickly and get out. If you can't handle the grief-destroy mechanism, you are a carebear and this game is too hardcore for you. MO1 gave you like 10 seconds to hit the guy again to stop him from deleting, if you can't toss a single spurt in that time you deserve to lose that l00t.
even in your examples, you need a tool or other resource to destroy your items, and even then it would take some amount of time to do, not something you can do on-the-fly like dropping the item instead. some argument could be made for reagents and other small items but you'd have to agree its silly to allow for instant destruction of 100 kilos of ore by hand

no, deleting items is a silly idea. if you worry about others using your gear after you die, go regear and kill them to get it back, not like they can easily delete it either

-barcode

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
even in your examples, you need a tool or other resource to destroy your items, and even then it would take some amount of time to do, not something you can do on-the-fly like dropping the item instead. some argument could be made for reagents and other small items but you'd have to agree its silly to allow for instant destruction of 100 kilos of ore by hand

no, deleting items is a silly idea. if you worry about others using your gear after you die, go regear and kill them to get it back, not like they can easily delete it either

-barcode
I mean, assuming you have over 70 strength you could also break swords by jamming it into the ground and leaning on it. Takes like 5 seconds for the medieval chad bro

And it takes about 2 seconds to drag ore from inventory to ground so if you do that math, it's about 2 seconds to chuck it all onto dirt, making it so whoever wants to pick it back up either has to shovel or remine the whole thing, which means it might as well be gone.