Removing spinning cause 1 month streamers cant read attacks

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Spinning is only so common and considered so powerful because not many people punish their opponent for spinning on them and when they see spins lots of people panic and and just go full defensive not even using counterattacks when they do get parries because they're too focused on trying to block the next spin swing.

It's not even practically effective against high skill players who can read the spin attack animations well - they will still parry your 720 degree quadra feint spin attack then land 2 full damage hits on you while you're trying to do another spin.

I dunno, check that vid by cerq where he fought that dude for a stack of steel or 1000g or something. The guy was spinning hard each time and cerq parried every one, but the part that was missing was the 2 full dmg hits. He still won handily, and it was never close, but it was still a whittle fest. But yea, I'm literally taking a step back when people start to spin. Usually people have to run forward to hit me. The only time someone got a true like... derpy stationary macro speed spin to where you can't read it well on me was some miscreant around fab when I was on a new char and encumbered w zombie heads, and best part was I guessed the parries. Still died cuz I was taking dmg thru parries :*( but the reason IMO it became obvious that it was a macro was because he got parried a lot first then started busting out that shit which was V fast and V unlike his play style.

Otoh since I haven't been able to wrap my brain around incorporating parry into my 'movement play style,' I get massive battered if people get in on me w/ o even feints. Same w/ excessive feints tho (most of the time can just dodge or move so I get 0 dmg) ... some people can do it, I'm sure, there is def a skill cap that has not been reached in terms of actual feint skill/movement. At least not that I've seen. I still remember when Tek time stamped a vid of me trollin w/ a katana after the swing speed change, and he was like "didn't even react to the swing," it's like yea cuz I didn't think he was gonna hit me (and he didn't, but sometimes I do get hit, dunno if it's desync or what, so putting up a block is SMART but it's a surprise when people do tag me.)

And I'm w/ other dudes, said it before... might sound like an excuse, but I'm not practicing this shit cuz I know it's gonna change. I actually thought it would be changed way earlier. I somewhat have changed to adapt to facing it, but I still get dunked almost every time straight on. The only time I'd scrape a win is if I had similar armor/dmg bonus to the person... but that's v rare, too.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I dunno, check that vid by cerq where he fought that dude for a stack of steel or 1000g or something. The guy was spinning hard each time and cerq parried every one, but the part that was missing was the 2 full dmg hits. He still won handily, and it was never close, but it was still a whittle fest. But yea, I'm literally taking a step back when people start to spin. Usually people have to run forward to hit me. The only time someone got a true like... derpy stationary macro speed spin to where you can't read it well on me was some miscreant around fab when I was on a new char and encumbered w zombie heads, and best part was I guessed the parries. Still died cuz I was taking dmg thru parries :*( but the reason IMO it became obvious that it was a macro was because he got parried a lot first then started busting out that shit which was V fast and V unlike his play style.

Otoh since I haven't been able to wrap my brain around incorporating parry into my 'movement play style,' I get massive battered if people get in on me w/ o even feints. Same w/ excessive feints tho (most of the time can just dodge or move so I get 0 dmg) ... some people can do it, I'm sure, there is def a skill cap that has not been reached in terms of actual feint skill/movement. At least not that I've seen. I still remember when Tek time stamped a vid of me trollin w/ a katana after the swing speed change, and he was like "didn't even react to the swing," it's like yea cuz I didn't think he was gonna hit me (and he didn't, but sometimes I do get hit, dunno if it's desync or what, so putting up a block is SMART but it's a surprise when people do tag me.)

And I'm w/ other dudes, said it before... might sound like an excuse, but I'm not practicing this shit cuz I know it's gonna change. I actually thought it would be changed way earlier. I somewhat have changed to adapt to facing it, but I still get dunked almost every time straight on. The only time I'd scrape a win is if I had similar armor/dmg bonus to the person... but that's v rare, too.
Well roadmap is out and no mention of kicks or special attacks, seems like Henrik duped u all... spinning is here to stay kids

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Well roadmap is out and no mention of kicks or special attacks, seems like Henrik duped u all... spinning is here to stay kids

well I just about fell out of my chair @ special attacks, cuz I can only imagine they would have been even more stupid lol. I don't agree w/ some people in saying that SV can't come up with a better alternative, but that ain't it. Like prol the one time I am glad they recanted, but then again... I bet it still shows up and is gonna be dumb.

Locke

Oct 30, 2022
well I just about fell out of my chair @ special attacks, cuz I can only imagine they would have been even more stupid lol. I don't agree w/ some people in saying that SV can't come up with a better alternative, but that ain't it. Like prol the one time I am glad they recanted, but then again... I bet it still shows up and is gonna be dumb.
Special attacks work very well in Life is Feudal, I don't see why they wouldn't also work well here. Having kicks and special attacks would be way better than having to rely on fast spins that break the proper attack animation to be an aggressive player.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Special attacks work very well in Life is Feudal, I don't see why they wouldn't also work well here. Having kicks and special attacks would be way better than having to rely on fast spins that break the proper attack animation to be an aggressive player.

Just general opinion on things they've added to the game. I think their framework is pretty solid. There was parry in MO1, too, obviously, and you could still bust someone down w/ a spear, you could pressure them to the point of them not being able to do anything. I remm watching a vid of smasher doing it to someone (he sped it up with like a sigh emoji on the screen,) and that was one of the only times I've ever seen a fight last as long as a MO2 fight. Watched Mirt parry some dudes and get away on the kite.

I would really suggest, as I have said like 1000x at this point, go into the 'meat' of the game and adjust numbers/speeds til it feels better.

There is still going to be desync. A kick is something that COULD work, but the special attacks were supposed to be wep specific and I was trying to imagine what they could even come up with. More than likely, they all wouldn't be can openers for parry. But yea, again MO1... it was client side, and I think MO2 is still client side? So both people can be in different situations totally. I would like to see them heavily narrow the parry V or arc as it is... full moon haha, w/e... and maybe even add some extra dmg if you get hit in the back when trying to parry, but that again could turn into a huge mess due to desync. That's why their 360 parry window ALMOST makes sense.

The truth is, in my opinion, some sacrifice is going to have to be made... the game right now has made sacrifices. I believe they can have a 'less sacrificial' system, but it would still have its problems. Adding something completely new like special attacks seems like it could quickly become game breaking.

I've talked about chip dmg, I've talked about guard break, those things seem more interesting. Even tho they favor zergs, they also favor team play and are LESS dependent on screen sync.

At some point, MO community has to take another, different L if they want the combat to change. To me, this L is so big that I would prefer anything. I would try special attacks, of course, but I got a feeling it'd be bad, not just like starting out bad, but as in 'this special attack is op forever,' 'this special attack is useless forever.' They had 'special attacks' in MO1, too, like back stab, dual strike, overhead used to be a special, spear stance (which didn't work afaik.)

But yea, to me, I'd start adjusting the numbers til it plays better. Simple as that. I wouldn't add anything unless we feel this combat, this balance of armor/weps/parry is fine as it is. Then, I would think about adding things.

I don't even care about duels. I'll take a 1v1 loss every time (v rare I even get caught in a 1v1 situation) if the combat is decent otherwise. I hate hitting people for blood and it registering as a parry, stuff like that... I just want them to make the game less about parry. A comment I remember is "then I couldn't parry two people at once!" and it's like yeah that's cool that you can parry two people at once (or more prol off the same parry, even, but I think he meant from diff sides, or I hope,) but if that's the one thing you have to lose to make the game play better overall, I'd say it's fine. It's like note to self... avoid situations where you have to parry 2 people at once to survive. In Mo1 you just got bodybagged. If you ran out of stam in MO1, you got bodybagged. I see people on low stam a lot in this game tho. Ble o well, sorry for long post. lol. I GOT A LOT OF THOUGHTS.

Reactions: Hodo

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021

Nothing you do in this game "breaks" attack animations in any way whatsoever.

Esproc

Jan 21, 2022
Meduli
There is still going to be desync. A kick is something that COULD work, but the special attacks were supposed to be wep specific and I was trying to imagine what they could even come up with. More than likely, they all wouldn't be can openers for parry. But yea, again MO1... it was client side, and I think MO2 is still client side? So both people can be in different situations totally. I would like to see them heavily narrow the parry V or arc as it is... full moon haha, w/e... and maybe even add some extra dmg if you get hit in the back when trying to parry, but that again could turn into a huge mess due to desync. That's why their 360 parry window ALMOST makes sense.
Just a note here, if you attack someone from behind and they would of parried its not a parry it turns into a block. I think its a 180 degree parry arc.
This is the reason sometimes you get a block instead of a parry if your moving around lots.

Matze88

Nov 3, 2022
The spinning mechanic is just stupid, and you don’t need to be a top1% player to have a valid opinion on an absolutely stupid mechanic.

I mean the devs praise the game for beeing so immersive and yes the game is very immersive but a bs mechanic like this rips you completely out of the immersion

D

Deleted member 44

Nothing you do in this game "breaks" attack animations in any way whatsoever.
Just stop. You know this isn't true and you know that spins and morphs are effective for landing hits as the game breaks down when these actions are performed. Are spins blockable? Absolutely. Are they blockable 100%? Not at all due to inherant instability with the game itself. Based on your comments here and in the unofficial discord you just want the game to be a melee battle royale which it never will be.

Reactions: Matze88

Matze88

Nov 3, 2022
I actually wish the combat would move a little more into the direction of for honor,

First make light attacks do much more dmg, second if you parry a light attack you are garantued to land a heavy and vise versa

Reactions: Hodo

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Just a note here, if you attack someone from behind and they would of parried its not a parry it turns into a block. I think its a 180 degree parry arc.
This is the reason sometimes you get a block instead of a parry if your moving around lots.

yea I think I've heard it was 270-ish? I am p out of it tho so I couldn't even do the 90 degree 3/4th math in the moment. I mean, I could if I knew what I was doing, but I HIT A WALL.

Two actual points 1. almost everyone (prol EVERYONE) who comes in here or who I've seen in game thinks melee combat is a big weakness in the game assuming they aren't a super vet who wants Ws over anything or, maybe, a new player who wants to jump on that, but VERY FEW NEW PLAYERS ARE. 2. I have actually given some thought to how I could make a lot of the mechanics work in a dynamic way, that is fun, movement based, etc... sometimes I have epiphanies, like huge forward jumps in ideas. However, the point I made in an older thread about this RECURRENT TOPIC is that IF someone doesn't wanna play my game and wants to face me up and just wait it out, they can force me (or anyone) into the zzz extra parry feint spin 'meta.' That REALLY offends me, being cut off like that. It's not the same in team, sure, but small scale it is. I do need to stop not parrying at all in 1vx situations. What makes it workable then is you can hit SOMEONE ELSE haha who might not be expecting it.

But anyone who moves with me is just derping themselves out and wasting stam, and if they just wait, then I am wasting stam. It forces you into a battle of parry attrition. It's not like 'style bias,' cuz I can imagine a lot of fun ways (now that I am finally less hateful of parry overall) to play it. In the end, tho, it's like that scene in Indy jones where dude does all the crazy stuff and then Harrison Ford just shoots him. There is NO WAY I can impose any style on anyone who is smart enough to realize just slowly closing in is the smartest play. That really makes that part of the game narrow.

If there was a way to get around this stuff, those mechanics wouldn't matter as much to me.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I actually wish the combat would move a little more into the direction of for honor,

First make light attacks do much more dmg, second if you parry a light attack you are garantued to land a heavy and vise versa
For honor is aim locked, a completely different type of combat. No spins possible.

We used to have stronger spam attacks but even tho combat was IMO more fun, the gap between EU and the rest of the world was even bigger. If only we had regional servers the combat could be so much better...

Matze88

Nov 3, 2022
For honor is aim locked, a completely different type of combat. No spins possible.

We used to have stronger spam attacks but even tho combat was IMO more fun, the gap between EU and the rest of the world was even bigger. If only we had regional servers the combat could be so much better...
What I meant in particular is the system of light and heavy attacks and the way a parry plays part in it

Stouty

Sep 24, 2022

Cerqo's whole exploiting clan getting FLOPPED by a Mordhau streamer :')

His whining aged like milk; us Mordhau players are leagues ahead of you mechanically. When we actually bother to grind your dead game you get dominated, simple as

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

Cerqo's whole exploiting clan getting FLOPPED by a Mordhau streamer :')

His whining aged like milk; us Mordhau players are leagues ahead of you mechanically. When we actually bother to grind your dead game you get dominated, simple as

haha, what holding an L for a whole year feels like, ey? You shoulda never cared in the first place :eek:

ALSO: combat is still azz. Game is still trash. You can tell who has actually been top tier at something competitive ( and worthwhile) by the way they behave. Ya shoulda never gotten riled. - salute - trust your PoV.

Stouty

Sep 24, 2022
haha, what holding an L for a whole year feels like, ey? You shoulda never cared in the first place :eek:

ALSO: combat is still azz. Game is still trash. You can tell who has actually been top tier at something competitive ( and worthwhile) by the way they behave. Ya shoulda never gotten riled. - salute - trust your PoV.
Except the debate ended with Cerqo claiming that MO2's melee combat doesn't revolve around spamming feints :') Are you looking to die on that hill as well?

The icing on the cake is the Mordhau players that stuck now completely surpass Botqo and co after just 1 year, totally dominating them and guess what? They agree with my critique of the combat

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Except the debate ended with Cerqo claiming that MO2's melee combat doesn't revolve around spamming feints :') Are you looking to die on that hill as well?

The icing on the cake is the Mordhau players that stuck now completely surpass Botqo and co after just 1 year, totally dominating them and guess what? They agree with my critique of the combat

na you can look back at the thread and see how I feel lol. I just was joshing ya that you would post this a year later. But yea, quick read to go thru this thread. I'm just saying everyone of note other than HEMETH (cerq)... like people who played MO1 and were good (I wasn't haha) without being banned / memed for doing illegal stuff all agreed with you as well. It was already settled, to me. Kinda funny tho. I hope you guys (or just other people and not you?) are having fun in MO. I hope some day they fix the combat.

LazySweatsTTV

Mar 31, 2021
Yeah lets remove one of the only mechanics that makes melee combat require some actual player skill instead of just zerg count.

Great idea SV.

Not.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah lets remove one of the only mechanics that makes melee combat require some actual player skill instead of just zerg count.

Great idea SV.

Not.

Let's play whose alt is this!

Bets? This battle has been waiting for years, as said, now we got the March 31 alts coming out. If only this forum was more active, it would be about to get real. LET'S MAKE IT REAL. Let's go back in on the defending how skill based MO combat / spinning is haha.

Go!