Please keep movement speed the same

Princey

May 30, 2020
London
www.instagram.com
I think networks and latency will always be a issue. I think we should just find a good medium and work from that.

Personally speed was King in MO1 over everything else. If you make the scale too large then you could potentially be giving one race/class to much in terms of getting the upper good stats vs having lower in the other stats.

I personally would like to see very small difference between combat speeds between all races. I think there should be skills required in like dodging and fast movement with stamina control being the main controller like you can dash and use special attacks. It is a MMO so I think this has to be taken into account in regard to the limits of the netcode and maybe in the future we all high super high speed internet with low latency but yeah combat will be judged heavily.

Players need to not fill there is such a gap or void between their base characters in a skill based game I believe. Specializations with pros and cons is a good way to add flair without upsetting the balance too much.

Having a massive curve with the speed even with diminishing stats I would still not go with it and play it safe until say you can have more Varity between classes which helps to combat "speed is king in MO"

Choose a slower character and your just gimping yourself since you be faster then your opponent and catch up to them and have more stamina and be able to kill them as their stamina regen drops as you lower their health.

Last edited:

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'd have to make such a claim first. Citation needed.

Us vets just really really like ice-skating. That seems to be it.

And its much better now, so lets not return to Disney world on ice. It was a terrible place.
Well you said turn it into ice skating online,

and everyone has been asking for 440 movement speed so

citation provided

but honesty has never really been your thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldrath

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020

citation provided

Lol, "everyone" hasn't been asking for 440 MS, and you don't speak for "everyone".
And Bbihah is a hell of a lot more honest than you Teknique; at least he doesn't always try to use "we" and "everyeone" to try to make his claims/requests sound more valid.

Reactions: bbihah

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Lol, "everyone" hasn't been asking for 440 MS, and you don't speak for "everyone".
And Bbihah is a hell of a lot more honest than you Teknique; at least he doesn't always try to use "we" and "everyeone" to try to make his claims/requests sound more valid.
The people who are asking for a speed increase are sensitive to desync they want to increase speed slightly and test the caps.

You folks on the other hand want to yell that the sky is falling. Twitch skill counter strike killing everyone, disney world on ice, you name it.

Won't give the other side any credit or legitimacy.

and its pretty annoying since no one even knows who you are.

Do you think that I do not sense your fear and deception?

• Love
Reactions: Steinerr

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
The people who are asking for a speed increase are sensitive to desync they want to increase speed slightly and test the caps.

You folks on the other hand want to yell that the sky is falling. Twitch skill counter strike killing everyone, disney world on ice, you name it.

Won't give the other side any credit or legitimacy.

and its pretty annoying since no one even knows who you are.

Do you think that I do not sense your fear and deception?

Teknique and I might not see eye to eye on everything and that's fine, but he is making a lot of sense.

A lot of people who typically are on the 'other side' of these balance debates regarding PvP is usually composed of people who I've never seen, heard, played with, played against, etc. But to a lesser extent, a lot of this is irrelevant - so long as your information holds up.

Though with saying that I tend to see that information does not hold up, sometimes it does; sometimes it does not. More often it does not.

I will also say as a player who has played MO1 for a long time, my wants for the game are so that players who are good will show; and efforts put in will be rewarded. Slow, zerg-friendly combat is something I have experienced in MO1. It sucks. It's not fun. It's not fun being the one using it, nor' is it fun being the one receiving it.

Henrik has stated openly that the issues we are experiencing with desync are unfinished problems that they are still working on. Henrik has also stated and shown that he agrees with the idea that the combat is not in a right place; both with speed and balance.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020

citation provided

So I didn't claim it a single time.

Good job, Citation still needed. Until then, you are posting fake info.

In neither of the posts you quoted were I even talking about any specific movement speed. Just that I would like it if we did not return to DIDNEY WORL.jpeg on ice. And a separate one mentioning that we are in a pretty good place now. Speed feels ok, sync is better than it ever have been.

Last edited:

Grack

Aug 28, 2020
I'm
So perhaps we can avoid further debate. I'm not going to sit there and debate what number will and won't cause what. Simply state that if increasing movement speed makes combat more about how you move and less about being able to parry and counter blows makes the game less immersive, and less skilled.

I'm especially not going to debate speed when for instance you lose speed going stout, and race bonuses/stat caps haven't made it in yet, so we don't know what the speed of the average meta build will be yet.

But can you agree to the premise of my original paragraph. If you agree with the idea "If something like figure 8ing replaces parry's importance in the meta then speed should be toned back down" then we have no real reason to debate. Those numbers adjustments will be made by SV and not us. And hopefully, they have a far better idea how much those numbers need to be adjusted then we do.
Hmm, i'm not sure that statement about less skilled stands. You're talking apples and oranges mostly, higher speed adds movment into the fray which is a legit skill and was in MO 1, it wasn't just dueling, small group fights were especially important with movment. (and when you think about it small group fights will be the majority of fights in MO, so it would be nice to see that be amazing, but also with some thought to bigger battles because old MO wasn't really that great with that)

"drivers" were people who would run into a enemy group and back out trying to snipe off low targets or mages, literally their greatest skill was dodging which wasn't super easy when you fought good people and groups.

Groups had to learn how to "peal" enemies off of allies via body blocking which involved good movment between you and your ally as well as interpreting their stickybacker.

Sticky backing was based off of good interpertation skills of your target to make sure you stayed with him.

One of the biggest skills a mage required was good dodging skills or they were smoked.

However their were players that would parry and play more defensive, often these were players that were scandinavian/Germans who or that side of europe, they didn't have to change their style much for latency. Americans tended to be good all arounders, or highly defensive or aggressive when fighting other Americans which they often did because of timezones, but would be more adaptive when fighting euros or Oceanic players. Lastly Oceanic players (this is what I am, Australian) Typically were more aggressive because we fought both timezones but had super funky ping which let us do what is called "prediction" , you kinda could warp the game in a way were you hit from futher away, only we also could get hit from far away, but the difference is we were very use to it so we knew how to move in relation to the invisable distences. Each nation had different distences you would adjust to, many of us got so good at gadging the distense we could tell you where you were from after the first few seconds of a fight. Anyways as an Australian litereally across the world from the server it was still possible to play competitvely and also defensively (although agaist very good euro players it wasn't a good idea".

Anyways you're probably thinking why that rant matters and its because movment speed added many layers and skill to combat, but there was ALSO defensive perry play, where as atm, there is just parry play which I would argue = less over all skill because you're missing a element in combat the other had.

It also allowed people across the world to adjust and be competitve. If i'm not being selfish I would say the rubber banding that was "prediction" is not a very friendly learning curve, its confusing and frustrating if you don't know what is happening, and good players were masters of warping their actions (although it was legit some of the most high skilled combat you've seen).

I also think people will just change the way they fight, like we're all living in the past, and want that combat and think the game is fucked without it but its not ture, the majority of people who play MO2 will not be a mostly toxic bunch of old hats who once kicked ass in MO1. There will be a new meta, and it probably won't suck.

I think the movement speed should be sped up a little bit though, you should have some room to use movment as a fake and dodge, but not enough to bring back rubber banding and high speed lancing that old MO was because big group fights will be shite.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
A thin Alvarin that maxes dex and takes all their race speed bonuses should still be able to move much faster than you currently can now. But depending on how clade bonuses play out Thursar is looking to be the strongest foot fighter build with healthsteal, faster regeneration, and a high strength cap.

Alvarin melee may still be able to do some pretty nifty shenanigans with movement. Thursar melee hopefully will not.

I say less skilled because I know from 1vXing in Darkfall that MO2's current melee system is far harder to excel at. Sticky backing and controlling movement take less skill than the parry system.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It did. Just not for melee. The skillcap in Darkfall came from the fact you had access to melee, archery, and every spell in the game all on the same character and were combining that with fast-paced movement and a "bunny hopping", a ridiculous form of movement that was way faster than everything else but required high timing and also slowly killed you as you did it. So reaching skillcap involved mastering a build that had access to 100+ spells along with physical combat in a super fast-paced game with movement so funky you had to practice just moving across open fields quickly.

Speaking specifically about pure melee without magical movement though. MO2 is much harder. Darkfall melee really wasn't that complicated until you introduced spells into the mix. Even the destro build had to master some spells.

Last edited:

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'm

Hmm, i'm not sure that statement about less skilled stands. You're talking apples and oranges mostly, higher speed adds movment into the fray which is a legit skill and was in MO 1, it wasn't just dueling, small group fights were especially important with movment. (and when you think about it small group fights will be the majority of fights in MO, so it would be nice to see that be amazing, but also with some thought to bigger battles because old MO wasn't really that great with that)

"drivers" were people who would run into a enemy group and back out trying to snipe off low targets or mages, literally their greatest skill was dodging which wasn't super easy when you fought good people and groups.

Groups had to learn how to "peal" enemies off of allies via body blocking which involved good movment between you and your ally as well as interpreting their stickybacker.

Sticky backing was based off of good interpertation skills of your target to make sure you stayed with him.

One of the biggest skills a mage required was good dodging skills or they were smoked.

However their were players that would parry and play more defensive, often these were players that were scandinavian/Germans who or that side of europe, they didn't have to change their style much for latency. Americans tended to be good all arounders, or highly defensive or aggressive when fighting other Americans which they often did because of timezones, but would be more adaptive when fighting euros or Oceanic players. Lastly Oceanic players (this is what I am, Australian) Typically were more aggressive because we fought both timezones but had super funky ping which let us do what is called "prediction" , you kinda could warp the game in a way were you hit from futher away, only we also could get hit from far away, but the difference is we were very use to it so we knew how to move in relation to the invisable distences. Each nation had different distences you would adjust to, many of us got so good at gadging the distense we could tell you where you were from after the first few seconds of a fight. Anyways as an Australian litereally across the world from the server it was still possible to play competitvely and also defensively (although agaist very good euro players it wasn't a good idea".

Anyways you're probably thinking why that rant matters and its because movment speed added many layers and skill to combat, but there was ALSO defensive perry play, where as atm, there is just parry play which I would argue = less over all skill because you're missing a element in combat the other had.

It also allowed people across the world to adjust and be competitve. If i'm not being selfish I would say the rubber banding that was "prediction" is not a very friendly learning curve, its confusing and frustrating if you don't know what is happening, and good players were masters of warping their actions (although it was legit some of the most high skilled combat you've seen).

I also think people will just change the way they fight, like we're all living in the past, and want that combat and think the game is fucked without it but its not ture, the majority of people who play MO2 will not be a mostly toxic bunch of old hats who once kicked ass in MO1. There will be a new meta, and it probably won't suck.

I think the movement speed should be sped up a little bit though, you should have some room to use movment as a fake and dodge, but not enough to bring back rubber banding and high speed lancing that old MO was because big group fights will be shite.
Please listen to this player a known ANTI rpk skilled MO player.

Not the ministro of propaganda for the soviet republik of Nave

Zyloth

Nov 24, 2020
Please listen to this player a known ANTI rpk skilled MO player.

Not the ministro of propaganda for the soviet republik of Nave
I can't speak for everyone, but I've read every post in this topic. Seems like those advocating for speed don't really care if things start to get warped and prediction gets messed up. All I'm saying is that the highest priority should be a clean, crisp experience. And to say absolutely no change is probably an overstep, but I'm pretty certain if they were to break prediction completely (like it was in MO1) a lot of the same people advocating a speed increase would see no issue. This isn't something we want to overlook. That warpy shit makes the game unfun for the most amount of people regardless of any 'skill gap' it introduces. These changes should be done with the utmost caution, especially when SV themselves are saying things like there is currently no ping difference...

Dec 10, 2020
I can't speak for everyone, but I've read every post in this topic. Seems like those advocating for speed don't really care if things start to get warped and prediction gets messed up. All I'm saying is that the highest priority should be a clean, crisp experience. And to say absolutely no change is probably an overstep, but I'm pretty certain if they were to break prediction completely (like it was in MO1) a lot of the same people advocating a speed increase would see no issue. This isn't something we want to overlook. That warpy shit makes the game unfun for the most amount of people regardless of any 'skill gap' it introduces. These changes should be done with the utmost caution, especially when SV themselves are saying things like there is currently no ping difference...
What are you talking about Zyloth? You don't think warping and double-hits are fun? I like being able to kill guards in half the time tyvm.

Reactions: bbihah and Zyloth

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Well you definitely didn't read every one of my posts. We understand desync or ranged hits can be an issue, we just want to know if 425 is absolute max speed for no desync.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Well you definitely didn't read every one of my posts. We understand desync or ranged hits can be an issue, we just want to know if 425 is absolute max speed for no desync.
this is not how it works. thre is no maximum before you bug out.
mounts will run much faster than 425, there is also acceleration and how fast you stop and can change direction. 425 is a good balance for a realistic and authentic feeling combat which SV aims for, clade gifts could bring it partially higher. the higher you go the more players with bad internet connection are getting horrible combat experiences too.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
this is not how it works. thre is no maximum before you bug out.
mounts will run much faster than 425, there is also acceleration and how fast you stop and can change direction. 425 is a good balance for a realistic and authentic feeling combat which SV aims for, clade gifts could bring it partially higher. the higher you go the more players with bad internet connection are getting horrible combat experiences too.
Well there's an ideal speed.

I guess you're saying its 425?

Why is 425 the perfect speed?

I'm not convinced until I try 440.

Last edited: