one character per account .....

MoltenIdol

Apr 6, 2021
Theyre essentially pay-walling alt-chars, for all intents and purposes.

This discussion is so funny.

"We dont want pay to win - but please, please pay-wall alt-chars. Its the right choice!"

Reactions: Nudisto

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
Theyre essentially pay-walling alt-chars, for all intents and purposes.

This discussion is so funny.

"We dont want pay to win - but please, please pay-wall alt-chars. Its the right choice!"

Would be interesting to see how much of the current active population is using alt accounts. I personally know many players with multiple accounts, and they will multiclient too for purposes like self resurrection or intel gathering.

The sad part is that it's not just pay to win but pay to try out other aspects of the game without having to completely wipe your main character.

Reactions: Jatix

Tzone

May 16, 2021
We can’t let that happen as a community and we need to bring this accusation to @Henrik Nyström so he can address it. The only possible way to stop this is to make your account bound to your IP address. This means you will need a computer per account and not everyone has that financial luxury.

To avoid The multiple subs the best solution is 2 characters per account and 1 account per IP address.
Virtual machines are the work around along with vpn. You wont stop people, also multiple people per household play. multiple people use the same computer even. The abosolutly most secure way is only through identity verfification but its a lot of man power and people dont want send pics of their IDs to SV.

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
Virtual machines are the work around along with vpn. You wont stop people, also multiple people per household play. multiple people use the same computer even. The abosolutly most secure way is only through identity verfification but its a lot of man power and people dont want send pics of their IDs to SV.

Think you guys are missing the point. Why would SV do anything to discourage multiple accounts when they make 40$ + another sub for every new account created. That's the only real reason they won't add more slots.

After all who wouldn't pay 40$ extra just to avoid wiping hundreds if not thousands of hours on their main account in order to try other content. It's a greedy system.

If the game was playable with 1 account then why do so many people already in beta have 5 accounts with only a fraction of the content released?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Or just sacrifice min max meta and make a character that can do all the things with skill and attribute changes. Problem solved.

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
Or just sacrifice min max meta and make a character that can do all the things with skill and attribute changes. Problem solved.

Yes because clades aren't a thing. Not to mention weapons, armor and bows all have arbitrary strength requirements.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
I have two accounts. I am unable to multibox them and I have no reason to do that. I mostly play on the single toon, the hybrid who can make steel and craft all weapons. I am not even sure why I have the other one... oh yes, its to.... nevermind.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
look... the goal is quality (RP immersion)> quantity, you are not supposed to play 24/7

now people have multi accs because there are no subbs, most players wont have 2 chars after release and thats whats all about.
you need to make sacrifices like Apple shows you.

MoltenIdol

Apr 6, 2021
Love how half the community is talking about how they plan to have 2-3 accounts for X reasons but people will still come on here and say 1 slot is perfectly fine.

Haha exactly this! wtf is this?

Lets break it down;

- having the '1 char per account' system EFFECTIVELY MEANS = pay-walling alt-chars.
No matter what kind of "dual-soul" system you put in place, people will pay to have alt-chars on different subs.

- Pay-walling alt-chars in this way, might not be intended as a cash-grab, but thats what it will be in the long run, regardless of Star Vault's intentions..

- Its called "Pay-2-Win"

That's really all there is to it.

So, why not just give people the alt char for free, instead of pay-walling it? Cuz thats effectively what SV is doing (pay-walling content, in a weird and obscure way).

About "alt- chars upseting the balance blah blah"; We all get it. But if alt-chars upsets the balance in all these ways, then maybe DON'T pay-wall them? Just make it available to everyone.

Else, its essentially just Pay-2-Win ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So why not just give people 2 character slots?

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Haha exactly this! wtf is this?

Lets break it down;

- having the '1 char per account' system EFFECTIVELY MEANS = pay-walling alt-chars.
No matter what kind of "dual-soul" system you put in place, people will pay to have alt-chars on different subs.

- Pay-walling alt-chars in this way, might not be intended as a cash-grab, but thats what it will be in the long run, regardless of Star Vault's intentions..

- Its called "Pay-2-Win"

That's really all there is to it.

So, why not just give people the alt char for free, instead of pay-walling it? Cuz thats effectively what SV is doing (pay-walling content, in a weird and obscure way).

About "alt- chars upseting the balance blah blah"; We all get it. But if alt-chars upsets the balance in all these ways, then maybe DON'T pay-wall them? Just make it available to everyone.

So why not just give people 2 character slots?
Because SV needs 8000 subs to break even.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021

what you are describing is not pay 2 win but Pay to Play. you are not "winning" by doing twice the work when you can just do it on one character in almost 1/10th the time

you'll see how long it takes to stat up another character and try to do professions by wasting a lot of materials and time while everyone else is having fun there is no winning there just depression and sadness

MoltenIdol

Apr 6, 2021
what you are describing is not pay 2 win but Pay to Play. you are not "winning" by doing twice the work when you can just do it on one character in almost 1/10th the time

you'll see how long it takes to stat up another character and try to do professions by wasting a lot of materials and time while everyone else is having fun there is no winning there just depression and sadness

that depends on your definition of winning:

In Mortal, self-sufficiency is winning.
Being able to have multiple combat-ready toons, is winning. Etc, etc, etc.
And all that is much more easily obtainable with alt-chars. Alas, pay-2-win (even though you have to grind, but people have no problem with grinding for a higher purpose, so it quickly becomes "the meta").

But really, im not advocating for either one, just airing the different arguments.

People will buy alt-chars.

So, to circumvent this power-play, you can either:

- make alt-chars available to everyone in some degree, or:
- make alt-cars redundant, which just sucks, no matter how you look at it.

I WISH that a "1-char method" was viable... but alas, pay-2-alt-char doesnt seem fair in this particular game... and the IP thing is just not gonna work, so.. what alternatives are there, but to give all players a somewhat "even" playing-ground?

And i mean, if its such a grind to even make an alt-char in mortal.. then why pay-wall it? why not just make it available to everyone?

If the limiting factor is in fact not money, but time (as you say), then why pay-wall any of that content? It doesnt make any logical sense.

And yeah, "people have to commit to their toon".
But if people have to commit, to an evenly huge degree, for just an "alt-toon", then why not just let them do that, and put those 25 hours a day into your game? Why make them pay for that experience? Let them be sad, dont pay-wall it.

Let everybody be sad-2-win when they want to, no matter your economic situation.
Its like IRL;The people who spend that saddest amount of time educating, will have the best paying jobs.
The shittiest countries are the ones who doesnt give people an equal chance at education, eg. letting everybody get educated evenly, and not depending on your economic status. You get the reference?

Also, What youre saying is, basically alt-chars are not unbalanced, because the game is such a grind and people dont have time because depression. Then why cant we have alt-chars for free, to experience differnt play-styles, or whatever other arguments there are, if its such a grind to even make it worthwhile, and nobody even has the time. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nudisto

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
People will buy alt-chars, and it might very well become unbalanced due to players irl economy.

Pay-walled alt-chars in a game like mortal = pay-2-win, not pay to play. (Both pay-2-play, and pay-2-win at the same time, actually)
If it was WoW? No big deal. But it isn't.

But really, im not advocating for either one, just airing the different arguments.

I WISH that a 1-char method was viable... but alas, pay-2-alt-char doesnt seem fair in this particular game... and the IP thing is just not gonna work, so.. what alternatives are there, but to give all players even play-ground?
Even playing field means less money so that means some guilds will have chars everywhere and simple relog to their chosen location when needed, while others will be out after 1 death.
The reasoning behind dumbing down the game and making it easier and slower is only due to wanting more players to rake in more money.
The one thing they learned from MO was to not try to make a niche game for a niche audience, I must commend them, they did manage to fix that "mistake". Not that it will have the intended impact imo. The new intended audience is casuals, and lets be real here, casuals wont be going for MO2 so the only impact it will have is to force away the original niche supporters that held MO together through promise alone.

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Even playing field means less money so that means some guilds will have chars everywhere and simple relog to their chosen location when needed, while others will be out after 1 death.
The reasoning behind dumbing down the game and making it easier and slower is only due to wanting more players to rake in more money.
The one thing they learned from MO was to not try to make a niche game for a niche audience, I must commend them, they did manage to fix that "mistake". Not that it will have the intended impact imo. The new intended audience is casuals, and lets be real here, casuals wont be going for MO2 so the only impact it will have is to force away the original niche supporters that held MO together through promise alone.
Yeah the need to pull in dedicated players to keep the game going strong. Dedicated players will find out the gameplay is broken or get bored of the Easyier but strong playstyles.

Planetside 2 has a higher skill floor compared to current shooters and is doing well. They pull in casuals as well but the population is maintained after almost a decade by players who are competive. These players arent getting bored because the high skill cap.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Yeah the need to pull in dedicated players to keep the game going strong. Dedicated players will find out the gameplay is broken or get bored of the Easyier but strong playstyles.

Planetside 2 has a higher skill floor compared to current shooters and is doing well. They pull in casuals as well but the population is maintained after almost a decade by players who are competive. These players arent getting bored because the high skill cap.
Yea give competitive and casual PvP players a high skill cap and skill based and generally well balanced combat and they will never leave.

In order to bring in casuals however is a different beast. Casuals need hand holding, they need constant content, usually TONS of quests with long hours of lore written in and a constant flow of simply new things or they get bored and jump to the plethora of games catering to that need.
This is something SV havent caught up on like so many other game developers who jump at the trends who bring in the quick bucks but not the life sustaining long term dough.
So many companies have found this out and many many jobs been sacrificed due to it.

You simply cant survive on casuals unless you bring a AAA product that demands hundreds if not more people working constantly to keep them there playing their game instead of the many others who try to do exactly the same.

So much has changed since I started in the 90s.

Reactions: grendel

Update Journal

Oct 8, 2021
I do think 1 character is fine.
But Mortal has so much to offer in terms of playstyles that it really sucks to miss out on.
I do hope for a system similar to Echoes on UO outlands.
Where you skill and stats a character then save a snapshot of those stats/skills, Changing that snapshot requires farming a new echo so you have to be careful.
I don't think it would be a good idea to do it for profession skills for economy reasons but moreso for Attributes and Active skills

You could even go about it in an immersive way and make it a player service through one of the magic schools or a profession

nazgo

May 29, 2020
no chance Im making a mage my only character :D no ability to level up without macroing, pretty gimped in overall pve, no efficient way to farm pretty much anything, and in general, very poor for any available solo activity.

So its two accounts for me. MA for pve, farming, solo playing, etc and mage for fun times. Sad it has to be this way, not to mention the fact that I have no intention to pay for two subs :/

Automatiic

Oct 9, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MO so forgive me if this idea has been mentioned before. I have read through other threads about multiple characters, and I know the subject is hotly debated, but I haven't seen this particular idea.

First, I completely understand the reasons for having one character. It is important to establish an identity in a game like this and for that identity to matter. That being said, people are always going to have multiple accounts. Personally, I have two and I know many people with 3+. Each of these accounts is paid for individually, as it should be. I believe that there is a way to ensure player identity, make the experience of players with multiple accounts significantly better, all while ensuring that Star Vault does not lose any money.

Currently, if I want two accounts, I have to donate $40 separately, receive two Steam Keys, and apply each key to two different Steam accounts. Instead, why not allow the player to buy an additional slot on the same account for $40 to eliminate the need for logging in and out of different Steam Accounts? Additionally, when persistence drops, require that each CHARACTER slot has an active $15 sub as well. To be clear, two characters on one account would be $80 PLUS $30/month. Three characters would be $120 PLUS $45/month. A final request would be to allow a shared bank tab for Characters with an active subscription on the same account. It is incredibly frustrating to make weapons, armor, and other items on one toon and have to mail each item individually for a fee or ask a friend to transfer it all for me.

Again, I don't think this would impact the game negatively at all. I will have 2 or 3 characters when persistence drops. Many others will as well. This is an unavoidable fact - so why not allow us to manage these accounts more effectively? I also believe that this will net Star Vault more money in the long run because people will be more inclined to have a couple of toons if they are easier to manage. From a marketing standpoint, it's also better for players to have multiple toons on one Steam account because then you are not splitting time between your main account and alternate accounts. When you're in-game on your main account, your friends will see you playing. Most people don't bother adding a bunch of friends that don't play MO to their alternate account.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to a discussion about this with all of you.

Reactions: Najwalaylah