one character per account .....

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
A final request would be to allow a shared bank tab for Characters with an active subscription on the same account. It is incredibly frustrating to make weapons, armor, and other items on one toon and have to mail each item individually for a fee or ask a friend to transfer it all for me.

the game wants you to buy it or trade it with other people not make everything yourself, its one of the aspects of the game that make it more interesting as it forces player interaction or atleast the use of broker making everyone impact economy and player experience in some shape or form

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Automatiic

Oct 9, 2021
the game wants you to buy it or trade it with other people not make everything yourself, its one of the aspects of the game that make it more interesting as it forces player interaction or atleast the use of broker making everyone impact economy and player experience in some shape or form

I realize that, but like I said - people are going to have multiple accounts no matter what. This was true in MO1 and it's true now. All I am asking for is a QoL improvement for those of us that will have multiple. I'm saying people should still have to pay FULL price for the extra Character and keep an active subscription. No discounts, no extra rewards. They will still be limited by time.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MO so forgive me if this idea has been mentioned before. I have read through other threads about multiple characters, and I know the subject is hotly debated, but I haven't seen this particular idea.

<snip>

Thanks for reading. I look forward to a discussion about this with all of you.
I really do not understand the point (aside perhaps from undue attention-seeking) of not adding this idea to the lively and ongoing SIX PAGES of discussion at https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/one-character-per-account.2974/ and I look forward to reading your idea there, instead of here.

Automatiic

Oct 9, 2021
I really do not understand the point (aside perhaps from undue attention-seeking) of not adding this idea to the lively and ongoing SIX PAGES of discussion at https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/one-character-per-account.2974/ and I look forward to reading your idea there, instead of here.

When a thread gets as long as the thread you linked, new ideas are often missed by the majority of people. I'm glad there is a lively discussion happening there, but since what I am proposing is much different than what the OP of that thread posted, I decided to make a new thread. To be clear, I'm not suggesting my idea is better - it's just different enough to warrant a different thread, in my view. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm new here. But I have fallen in love with this game and my goal is simply to help improve this game in any way I can, big or small

I can assure you that my life isn't pathetic enough to care about seeking "undue attention" on the official forum of a relatively obscure game in Closed Beta. I'm sorry yours is. If anyone is trying to seek attention, it's probably the person jumping into threads just to complain without offering anything of substance. It's a shame you're incapable, apparently, of reading an idea unless it is posted where you would like it to be. If you did possess the ability to look past your own internet ego, I'm sure we could have a lively discussion here as well. Oh well.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
If you both are right and adding more character slots will be SV's decision in that short a time, there's nothing to worry about with regard to the topic.
Very true. But for people like me you cant really have enough chars. And with 1 account you cant dual client and be efficient or trade between my own chars without using the mail system and relog thousand times every day.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
When a thread gets as long as the thread you linked, new ideas are often missed by the majority of people.
I'll consider this, but I have to ask if new ideas are missed by a majority of those who were interested in the subject (aside from their own view) to begin with. Those really interested in the topic can and do follow the thread. If they don't follow, maybe they weren't that interested in anyone's ideas about it but their own.

It's all one, now.

I think I like your idea at least as well as I like my own in this, and it covers some multiple character aspects very well:
allow the player to buy an additional slot on the same account for $40 to eliminate the need for logging in and out of different Steam Accounts? Additionally, when persistence drops, require that each CHARACTER slot has an active $15 sub as well. To be clear, two characters on one account would be $80 PLUS $30/month. Three characters would be $120 PLUS $45/month.

I'm still skeptical as to whether Star Vault will change the One Character Per Account System at all, of course.
From a marketing standpoint, it's also better for players to have multiple toons on one Steam account because then you are not splitting time between your main account and alternate accounts. When you're in-game on your main account, your friends will see you playing.
This is not unimportant, and somehow I think Steam would like it better if it was counting you as one player rather than two or more through separate Steam accounts. I don't particularly like Steam, but what it 'thinks' of a game is important, right?

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
All they need to do is add 1-2 more slots, make them share the same surname so players know it's you. Limit the profession skills to 1 slot.

People get attached to their main character and invest a lot of time not just into skills and mats but the persona. Why force players to delete their main just so that they can try different combat roles?

Reactions: MoltenIdol

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
All they need to do is add 1-2 more slots, make them share the same surname
Wish I knew for certain what Stuff Henrik Said about surnames, but it's possible they're supposed to be unique-- the game of Mortal Online 2 was designed with one character per account in mind. I kind of doubt that they're going to let players share them for any reason.

IF it was possible to share a surname, doing so would be important enough to me to not want to do it with just any two of my characters. Especially if, hypothetically, I'd want to play two different races or clades. They're related how? It's the wrong avenue of approach.
  • For full disclosure, I got through the entire first eight years of MO1 eith Casilda having no surname at all. That's how everyone could tell that the short-lived CasiIda (CAP i inplace of L) wasn't me.
I'd rather share a serial number.
And IF SV went to more than one char per account, and if everyone else was doing it, I'd rather share a Steam account ID or an associated MO2 forum username between my in-game characters on /who . Or both. If the goal is to keep player reputation honest and foremost, that's the way to go.

Update Journal

Oct 8, 2021
I'll repeat it once again but I don't think multiple characters slots are necessary in fact I think it's healthier for the game if you're encouraged to stick to 1 character 1 account.
However there is SO much to explore in mortal online that not trying new things out you miss out on a lot of fun and it would be a shame to be locked into just a single build and wanting to try out a different build requiring hours upon hours to reskill and restat isn't so great.
UO outlands for example has a ton of really good systems that I think SV should consider copying at least a few of them.

Echoes being one of them however I think it should only apply for Attributes and Action skills as I don't think it will be good for economy if you can quickly swap profession skill templates.
You could even take it a step further and make it more immersive by making it a player service either through one of the magic skills or as a profession skill

echos.png

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
In MO1 you could have 3 slots, a lot of us named each character and created a unique persona for each one. It was fun to roleplay different things depending on what you were in the mood that day. The race, stats, looks and the way they behaved ingame were all tied to their nickname.

Now it sucks, you have to delete your main character who you've built relationships with other people around nave if you want to roleplay a different name/race. "Just buy another one" is not a good argument since we had this in MO1 included in the subscription and by stating this you're actually supporting the multislot arguments. I'm not going to buy the game multiple times and pay several subscriptions. I will also stop playing once I get bored on my main as I won't want to delete thousands of hours invested in it just to try to play something different.

I know a lot of you just buy multiple accounts to enjoy what we had in MO1 but it really doesn't have to be that way.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MO so forgive me if this idea has been mentioned before. I have read through other threads about multiple characters, and I know the subject is hotly debated, but I haven't seen this particular idea.

First, I completely understand the reasons for having one character. It is important to establish an identity in a game like this and for that identity to matter. That being said, people are always going to have multiple accounts. Personally, I have two and I know many people with 3+. Each of these accounts is paid for individually, as it should be. I believe that there is a way to ensure player identity, make the experience of players with multiple accounts significantly better, all while ensuring that Star Vault does not lose any money.

Currently, if I want two accounts, I have to donate $40 separately, receive two Steam Keys, and apply each key to two different Steam accounts. Instead, why not allow the player to buy an additional slot on the same account for $40 to eliminate the need for logging in and out of different Steam Accounts? Additionally, when persistence drops, require that each CHARACTER slot has an active $15 sub as well. To be clear, two characters on one account would be $80 PLUS $30/month. Three characters would be $120 PLUS $45/month. A final request would be to allow a shared bank tab for Characters with an active subscription on the same account. It is incredibly frustrating to make weapons, armor, and other items on one toon and have to mail each item individually for a fee or ask a friend to transfer it all for me.

Again, I don't think this would impact the game negatively at all. I will have 2 or 3 characters when persistence drops. Many others will as well. This is an unavoidable fact - so why not allow us to manage these accounts more effectively? I also believe that this will net Star Vault more money in the long run because people will be more inclined to have a couple of toons if they are easier to manage. From a marketing standpoint, it's also better for players to have multiple toons on one Steam account because then you are not splitting time between your main account and alternate accounts. When you're in-game on your main account, your friends will see you playing. Most people don't bother adding a bunch of friends that don't play MO to their alternate account.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to a discussion about this with all of you.
The issue is this is till just straight pay to win. Its just less painful than how you pay to win currently. If you need more characters so badly that everyone is buying alts, one sub should get several characters.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
In his recent stream Henrik mentioned that they have internally discussed the possibility of players being able to change their characters clade in game somehow.

I think the idea is to allow players to more thoroughly adjust their current characters ingame without the need to reroll.

It does not allow for players to easily switch between characters but, it does seem like it would address many of the issues while sticking to their vision of one character.

Automatiic

Oct 9, 2021
The issue is this is till just straight pay to win. Its just less painful than how you pay to win currently. If you need more characters so badly that everyone is buying alts, one sub should get several characters.

It's not though because it will still take hundreds of hours to develop each alt properly. And, if they're all on the same Steam Account, you can't login to both at the same time. Currently, I can log into Steam on two different PC's and have both toons online at once. That is a significant advantage.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
It's not though because it will still take hundreds of hours to develop each alt properly. And, if they're all on the same Steam Account, you can't login to both at the same time. Currently, I can log into Steam on two different PC's and have both toons online at once. That is a significant advantage.
So how is this not the pay to win version of us getting multiple slots for free all on one acc, for a game we bought and sub to?

Designing a game to limit what you can do, but you can buy more characters, is pay to win.

Automatiic

Oct 9, 2021
So how is this not the pay to win version of us getting multiple slots for free all on one acc, for a game we bought and sub to?

Designing a game to limit what you can do, but you can buy more characters, is pay to win.

Because it still takes the same amount of time to develop each character and only one can be logged in at a time.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Because it still takes the same amount of time to develop each character and only one can be logged in at a time.
But you want them to sell you that option instead of giving it to you. So its pay to win.