one character per account .....

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
If SV wants to limit you to one character then they should at least improve the system to work with one character. Currently the system just encourages you to buy multiple account subscriptions, it feels like a money grab from SV and players will be bitter about it. Having separate pool points is definitely a step forward but not enough. Having to reroll your character which you've invested weeks/months into just to try out different aspects of the game is complete bullshit.

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
For the people discussing how to prevent people from having more than 1 account: You've entirely missed the point of the thread.

Either change the system so players don't need more than one account to enjoy the game or allow muliple accounts, it's that simple.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
For the people discussing how to prevent people from having more than 1 account: You've entirely missed the point of the thread.

Either change the system so players don't need more than one account to enjoy the game or allow muliple accounts, it's that simple.
You already don't need multiple accounts. The whole point is of the one account encouragement is for players to rely on each other to obtain all the goods and services they want, rather than having each person being able to do everything and anything.

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
You already don't need multiple accounts. The whole point is of the one account encouragement is for players to rely on each other to obtain all the goods and services they want, rather than having each person being able to do everything and anything.

Did you read the original post?

"
so whats the downside?

• locked into a single combat playstyle at a time.
  • locked to a single set of clade gifts
  • rerolling deletes all items in all your banks, so while right now it might be simple to pass some gold to a friend to hold for your reroll, later on it may require visiting several banks or risk the loss of substantial wealth that has been accrued on a toon
  • build experimentation (not just minor changes but swapping role from say melee fighter to mage) requires a significant time investment to 'just see' if you like it while costing you that same time again to swap back if you do not, not to mention time lost to ineffectiveness while your character is still being rebuilt "

Reactions: EZgold

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
Here is a scenario for you to visualize the problem:

You do your full research (so you get stats perfect and don't have to reroll) and make your perfect footfighter. You spend couple months grinding it out and playing your character. Then you decide you'd like to try out playing a fat mage. Now you have to delete your character, delete all your stuff (unless you travel to every zone and have a kind soul to help you transfer all your shit). Then you spend weeks grinding the same skills you've already grinded. Turns out you don't like playing magic that much after all, now you want to go back to your original footfighter build, you repeat the whole process a 3rd time. In the end you just quit because you're bored of magic and don't feel like grinding the same bs a 3rd time.

In MO1 you at least had 3 extra slots for trying out new things. That is what the system was designed for. If they want to limit to one slot they at least need to change the system(it will be difficult) so extra slots is the way to go.

To me it's obvious it's a money grab attempt along with not wanting to deal with any technical hurdles.

Reactions: EZgold

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Here is a scenario for you to visualize the problem:

You do your full research (so you get stats perfect and don't have to reroll) and make your perfect footfighter. You spend couple months grinding it out and playing your character. Then you decide you'd like to try out playing a fat mage. Now you have to delete your character, delete all your stuff (unless you travel to every zone and have a kind soul to help you transfer all your shit). Then you spend weeks grinding the same skills you've already grinded. Turns out you don't like playing magic that much after all, now you want to go back to your original footfighter build, you repeat the whole process a 3rd time. In the end you just quit because you're bored of magic and don't feel like grinding the same bs a 3rd time.

In MO1 you at least had 3 extra slots for trying out new things. That is what the system was designed for. If they want to limit to one slot they at least need to change the system(it will be difficult) so extra slots is the way to go.

To me it's obvious it's a money grab attempt along with not wanting to deal with any technical hurdles.
You know that you can buy multiple accounts but only sub 1 at a time right?

Nudisto

Sep 21, 2021
You know that you can buy multiple accounts but only sub 1 at a time right?

Are you an apoligist or something? You just ignored my entire post about the drawback to currently having just 1 slot to make this dumb post. All you have to do is make another steam account. It's really easy.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Are you an apoligist or something? You just ignored my entire post about the drawback to currently having just 1 slot to make this dumb post. All you have to do is make another steam account. It's really easy.
It's not a big deal. Everyone has or will reroll at some point in both MO1 and MO2. You just get used to it.

Reactions: Xunila

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
They will have the option to sub over the website again, And I highly suggest doing that. Because steam takes 30%

And star vault can really use the 30% of the subs for development. So i personally will only sub over thier website.

So are you saying that you would not sub if steam was the only option?

Or that you would choose to pay outside of steam if it was in option?

From what I understood SV was happy to not have to deal with client downloads and billing on their side anymore.

Unless something has changed?

They even wanted to do away with the non steam client in MO1 at one point. Something I opposed at the time.

Though I think it is a good idea now that they have had issues.

No longer having access to such things could go a long way with easing peoples concerns about these issues happening again.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
So are you saying that you would not sub if steam was the only option?

From what I understood SV was happy to not have to deal with client downloads and billing on their side anymore.

Unless something has changed?

They even wanted to do away with the non steam client in MO1 at one point. Something I opposed at the time.

Though I think it is a good idea now that they have had issues.

No longer having access to such things could go a long way with easing peoples concerns about these issues happening again.
He would choose to pay outside of steam, if able to.

Reactions: Amadman

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'm not an apologist in the sense that I openly advocate for multi accounting and promote it.

I do however know all of the reasons the decision was made and agree with them overall.

I would take 1 char with combat and crafting skills over 4 chars with separate pools.

You mentioned a list of cons which are all true, but there are a list of pros and you seem to be ignoring them intentionally doing exactly what you're accusing everyone of.

tal0s

Sep 5, 2021
Considering opening up to the Chinese gaming market would increase revenue by the millions, I would say it is not completely out of the question.
You must’ve missed what we said. Or you just like to type to type.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
What's the downside to re-rolling the way Star Vault sees it now IS, or
The Veteran Re-Punishment System [™]
  • locked into a single combat playstyle at a time.
  • locked to a single set of clade gifts
  • rerolling deletes all items in all your banks, so while right now it might be simple to pass some gold to a friend to hold for your reroll, later on it may require visiting several banks or risk the loss of substantial wealth that has been accrued on a toon
  • build experimentation (not just minor changes but swapping role from say melee fighter to mage) requires a significant time investment to 'just see' if you like it while costing you that same time again to swap back if you do not, not to mention time lost to ineffectiveness while your character is still being rebuilt "

It's funny, in an odd & cold & nonsensical way, that you're to be prevented from keeping all the stuff in all your banks when you reskill your avatar that doesn't change name (nor clade gifts). Presumably, you've had to be very careful about your small-r reputation with other players, and with Star Vualt, and also diligent about your standing with Factions in the game.

Everyone still knows very well who you are except for--

--the Banker.

Wasn't the point (Star Vault's point) to keep a single account's single character from coming around again having assumed another name, free to spend the spoils of a life of crime & aggression & oppression under another label?
Like a kindly old uncle whom everyone can trust.*
Was that not the point?

But the label doesn't change. And the reward of the risk of keeping the name is
'Im sorry, Sir/Madam, you don't seem to have an account here' ?
That's a pretty big downside. That's not-much of a reward. It''s...
The Veteran Re-Punishment System [™].​
  • Do you want people quitting the game as soon as their build 'expires' like stale bread? Because that's how you get them to stop subbing at that point.

Reliving the ENTIRE start-from-scratch Newbit Experience without
  • : Money for Books
  • : Books you might have already bought
  • : Your beloved body of Armour, scratched and dented as it might be
  • : The severed Heads of your enemies, smiling from a shelf somewhere
  • : ... And the House** that's become your home?
DEAR GODS OF NAVE***, HOW FAR DOES THIS LOSS OF THINGS GO?
Code:
It's the Wrong Kind Of Timesink ™, again.

... in order to live a life in Nave under the same name with a different career path. Yeah. There's a downside.
If you've earned your Name and must keep it, you've also earned your
"F*** you, Mounted Archery" Money, and should keep it.

Footnotes

* @grendel will know the kind of thing I'm talking about, even if he says nothing on the subject.
** If you don't lose your House and its storage when you re-roll under the proposed system, how & why do you have to lose your Banks?
*** And by Gods, I mean @Henrik Nyström , No. 19 on this list.

Reactions: grendel

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
There was a vdeo of @Speznat 's in which he gave the opinion that he'd rather see Star Vault get all the money from an order (by being paid directly) for the game rather than have Steam take a cut. His explicit concern was with funding more development with the money paid by purchasers.

I don't know if that's how any of that works, but at least he said nothing about any reason of account security.

Reactions: Amadman and Speznat

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
There was a vdeo of @Speznat 's in which he gave the opinion that he'd rather see Star Vault get all the money from an order (by being paid directly) for the game rather than have Steam take a cut. His explicit concern was with funding more development with the money paid by purchasers.

I don't know if that's how any of that works, but at least he said nothing about any reason of account security.
Ah! I have not seen that one I guess.

I get that for sure. Steam does take a pretty substantial cut. And SV would definitely get more from a direct sub.

But SV can also save from using steam exclusively as well. For example, there would be less need for support of game account related things, no expense for serving patch downloads, no need to put time and effort into a second client and downloader ect..

Steam can also be seen as a promotional expense with the exposer it gives the game. That part would still be there even if SV did offer a separate sub. But it is still part of the 'Value' in using Steam.

I do agree though. If SV was to opt to have a second method of payment then paying that way would be better for SV.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Ah! I have not seen that one I guess.

I get that for sure. Steam does take a pretty substantial cut. And SV would definitely get more from a direct sub.

But SV can also save from using steam exclusively as well. For example, there would be less need for support of game account related things, no expense for serving patch downloads, no need to put time and effort into a second client and downloader ect..

Steam can also be seen as a promotional expense with the exposer it gives the game. That part would still be there even if SV did offer a separate sub. But it is still part of the 'Value' in using Steam.

I do agree though. If SV was to opt to have a second method of payment then paying that way would be better for SV.
On important thing to mention here, sub without steam on the website for your steam, I guess it works that way. You now.
There will no second client not extra launcher no extra shit. xD

the linked account form the website backend to your steam id to refresh the sub.

Atleast that is how I would make it when im SV. And I bet my ass that they will do it that way because everything else makes no sense in developing a shit launcher again and stuff.

Reactions: Amadman

Aesorn

Sep 15, 2020
Can also do a echo system like Ultima Online(the game they copied literally everything from) Where you spent a large amount of currency to save a template, let's say all ur skills / attributes / ect(but not race). Then you can switch between the templates on a very long cooldown. Can make it a maximum of 2 templates simulating a 2 character system but with none of the problems of reputation and being in multiple locations at once since it's still the same character.

Reactions: Jatix

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Court of tindrem? I recall tales of how he slayed the emperor himself.

surely you can do better
Yes there are many wild tales and stories about the Elhazrad twins ancestors, greatgreat grandfather Elhazrad and greatgreat grandmother Monica.

Not much survivced the sewers years, on the death of the tyrant, we do have some fragments. There is nothing to suggest that the Elhazrad Shop was involved in the death of the usurper emperor.

Edit: to avoid confused mods; this post is both rp and on topic. The point is to illustrate the positive aspects of having more than one character/toon.

Last edited:

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
SV already had issues with information in the past. So many are still not comfortable with providing them with info again.

Their best bet is leaving the accounts and billing up to steam.

This way they can distance themselves from those types of things and concentrate on making the game itself instead.

Great point.