One character per account

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I think the fact that SV has and had plans for more magic schools than we see in most games kind of goes against your claim about their game design regarding magic.

Regardless tho I hope you can play the game the way you want to, just like I hope pure mages can as well.

But come on bro, a whole guild to support a mage is a bit much...

Rathius

Jul 16, 2020
No. There are discussions in the old MO1 forum from maybe end of last year with official quotes about the way to play with multiple accounts: You will need one Steam account per MO account.
imho having multiple accounts should be bannable since it ruins the immersion of the game

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Come on Rathius :p

If it requires you to have a steam account though, it'll be an absolute bitch to switch if you don't have multiple pcs.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
imho having multiple accounts should be bannable since it ruins the immersion of the game
Wouldn't achieve anything, MO2 isn't guaranteed to be a success, we wont find out until post release. Banning people for multiple accounts would most likely be majority veteran players, people who supported MO1 for years and those wanting to explore multiple things in MO2. That's a good way to piss off your core playerbase, especially if the game remains quite small in terms of player count. If the playerbase remains small, then resources and items in te economy will be limited, some people might not want to have to wait days to try get resources or items to be able to play the game.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Regarding mages and being viable in PVE... Why note give them something like a staff? Some kind of magic weapon that scales with int, and does not required the usual melee combat skills.
Of cause it shouldn't be as strong as normal melee weapons. Maybe make it a bit slower than the usual melee weapons, so that it's decent in PVE, but not that strong in PVP. Or scale up the damage in PVE...

PVE as mage in MO1 was hard without pet, because you couldn't parry, and almost all mobs destroyed you if you were unable to parry.

Reactions: KermyWormy

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Come on Rathius :p

If it requires you to have a steam account though, it'll be an absolute bitch to switch if you don't have multiple pcs.
Some people would go around it and play on few account but linking the character to steam would help to limit it.
I am sure that one account policy would be very healthy for the community making having good reputation important
and boosting the immersion in this game.I will try to stick to one account and see how it works.

Reactions: Xunila

a.out

May 28, 2020
I like the idea in general of the 1 character per account, I think there are some cool effects it can have on our gameplay, but I worry about how some of the systems from MO1 will not mesh well with it. I don't think they can do as much copy paste from MO1 in regards to some of the systems we interact with as they plan to, like they really need to consider how these systems will feel when you're tied into just having one character, otherwise there will be a lot of frustrations from both vets and new players.

One of the main ones I'd really like to see them address is the magic system. If we're being tied down to just one character, and we're going to need to choose between a physical playstyle or mage, then both sides of this coin need to be balanced and viable for similar things. If my one character is a mage because that is the RPG playstyle I enjoy and what I want to pursue, then it needs to be just as viable for basic hunting and gathering materials as a typical fighter is. I'm not talking about a hybrid who makes sacrifices in order to do both adequately, but a full mage.

Melee is cool, archery is cool, and I've played them because they're better at most general resource gathering activities in MO1, but I couldn't just be a mage that blows stuff up and be comparatively efficient with NPC farming as a fighter can be.

And it wasn't ever close unless you start investing in all these other skills that I have no interest in like using pets. To each their own, if you like that playstyle great, it should exist for you, but if I want to be a pure mage, which is a super basic class featured in nearly all RPGs we know and love, I should be able to be that, have fun and enjoy that, and be able to be successful with basic gameplay loops that standard fighters are.

This was a huge problem for MO1 for me and I assume many others as well, and especially new players who start a mage and invest time in it only to realize later they can't even really use it effectively to farm and make money. This problem will be multiplied in MO2 by being shoehorned into having just one character because now you don't have the option of making another character to fulfill that role you require only out of necessity for quality of life purposes.

Like I said, I like the idea and I want them to keep to it, but they need to understand that for it to work they can't just copy paste all the old systems into the new game, they need to realize the pain points that existed in the game that were worked around by the players themselves not because it was fun to do, but it was necessary to be successful.

Mages need more dmg on mobs, more fluid pre-cast and cast mechanics, more regen and/or vastly adjusted mana pools and spell costs in order to make it viable to do basic crap fighters can easily take for granted.
The one drawback could be less variety. I too like different playstiles. However, I am under the impression that Henrik is fully aware of this. I don't know what happened to old SV but the new SV so far really impresses with vision and reasoning. So, I'm sure they design the new skill system in a way that lets you reskill easily enough or set a different focus from day to day.

We'll see. Having 3 clients running to get the bare minimum done got really quite old and I'm tired of it.

Reactions: Kavu

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Some people would go around it and play on few account but linking the character to steam would help to limit it.
I am sure that one account policy would be very healthy for the community making having good reputation important
and boosting the immersion in this game.I will try to stick to one account and see how it works.
My GF is sitting literally a meter or so behind me on a second pc. How would they exactly enforce the one account policy? Since she'll be slaving away for me :3333

If its like SWGEMU with by IP, they are going to have to mobilize a small country to talk to every single person with multiple instances running on the same ip and have a system in place for confirming that there are multiple people playing on different accounts. Or just outright ban people and have a bad time.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I don´t doubt multiple account will be a thing. It´s as pay-to-win as MO2 will get - which is good. I don´t mind players financing SV by having multiple subs running (don´t forget, no f2p crap this time). Anonymity was rarely an issue, and more so for the one with multiple accounts. "YOOOOU KIIILLED MEEE BUT IM YOUR BUDDY DONT YOU KNOW MY MINER67523 CHAR IS IN ALLIACE"

The most important thing is that it should be completely unnecessary for the average player. Another little MO1 story from me: Salpetine refined a few stacks of steel, messing and shit. Then he learned weapons crafting. I crafted dozens of weapons (still have them all over my banks). He became a butcher (also a fatmage, another story). All animals materials at 100. He turned armorcrafter to churn out armors since those clutter banks. So being somewhat selfsufficient with 1 character was doable and with a reasonable fluid system it should be easy.

Magic should work in tiers. Ecu is basic stuff, easy going, versatile and not super powerful. Elementalism fucks shit up and is more powerful.
To reach the highest level there should be a "jedi" mechanic like in star wars galaxies. If you run around with a death knight you should be a target for many many people.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
I think it will be good to only have one character per account because of all the reasons already mentioned in this thread.
But we will have to wait for the final skill system/separation to really judge how well it works.
As for mage being unable to make gold without a pet cause of limited hunting capabilities, you can pick up mining and make metals to sell, sell weapons/armor or straight up sell stone, or gather stuff that's valuable to people, or make pots and sell them....to just name a few options.

Reactions: Kuroi and Zbuciorn

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
MO2 being 1 char per account is the most hype feature to me

economy will benefit from it, you can actually make a reputation, there will be less griefers like thieves and pks created just for annoying people when bored, you will need to take better decisions when playing.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
As for mage being unable to make gold without a pet cause of limited hunting capabilities, you can pick up mining and make metals to sell, sell weapons/armor or straight up sell stone, or gather stuff that's valuable to people, or make pots and sell them....to just name a few options.
So basically you're saying, don't do the primary function your character is designed for, in this case magic, to progress in the game, but rather rely on crafting related things (which you may have no interest in) because we now will have another skill point pool to invest in ya? guess what, a fighter can do that exact same thing, so you're still stuck as a mage with a deficit regarding your ability to just do basic rpg gameplay stuff. It really just makes no sense to me that this has been ignored for so long, and that some actually agree/make excuses for it. Why don't we want a better game than we had before? I get it if you don't like Magic based gameplay for PvE for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean you should deny other people the opportunity to be successful with that preferred style of play.

I don't want it to be OP at all, just fun and functional, so people who will be having to make such a critical choice in path for their 1 character can actually play what they like and not be forced by the game into some other path just to do basic PvE monster killing etc.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Ecumenical has always been much more of a support and pvp focused school. Maybe with the AI becoming better it'll be much easier to balance in magic's use against npcs.

In mo1 a hybrid build was always sort of an option to be more self sufficient for hunting npcs but keep most of the support and pvp fire/staying power.
If things keep going as they do now with skills and schools being similar then this will probably still be the case. Also seeing as most of the taming related skills will probably be crafting skill points hybrid hunting with pets could be a very good way to go about it.

At the cost of losing out on the crafting/processing obviously. But group play has always been the best way to play mo1. If having a good time is also important. There is also safety in numbers...

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
My concerns are largely mechanical. I really don't like the idea of having to delete my warrior if I want to try out being a mage.

I also don't think it will be as effective of a reputation machine as we might hope. I feel like the people who really want to avoid accountability are still going to able to, theyll just use gibberish names and delete their character when it gets too hot. Maybe multiple chars but locking us into a surname? Im all for reputation, but why lock us out of content unless we're willing to delete that progress and reputation?

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
So, I'm sure they design the new skill system in a way that lets you reskill easily enough or set a different focus from day to day.

If they force us into one name, but let us change our race and build entirely somehow for restatting, and its reasonably efficient... that wouldnt be the worst thing ever. I could live with that.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Ecumenical has always been much more of a support and pvp focused school. Maybe with the AI becoming better it'll be much easier to balance in magic's use against npcs.

In mo1 a hybrid build was always sort of an option to be more self sufficient for hunting npcs but keep most of the support and pvp fire/staying power.
If things keep going as they do now with skills and schools being similar then this will probably still be the case. Also seeing as most of the taming related skills will probably be crafting skill points hybrid hunting with pets could be a very good way to go about it.

At the cost of losing out on the crafting/processing obviously. But group play has always been the best way to play mo1. If having a good time is also important. There is also safety in numbers...
Something needs to change with it, which was my point in bringing it up in this one character per account thread, SV can't rely on copy/paste of old systems into the new game because the reality of having only 1 character effects a lot of systems. We used a multitude of characters per account, and multiple accounts to work around a lot of pain points and sometimes just bad design in the old game.

If most of those design decisions get simply ported over into the new game, having only 1 character just greatly exacerbates those same old issues, and we're left with something even worse and more frustrating for vets but especially new players.

I might be out of touch, I thought what I suggested about magic and it's usefulness in the most basic gameplay loop possible was self-evident, but it seems a number of people disagree apparently, and that's fine, but I still don't understand why it isn't worth trying to make it better than it was for like 12 years or whatever.

If ecumenical is the school a new player starts with, and it's designed for utility, support, and pvp, then why is that the only school available to a starting player if you can't use it right away to actually play the most basic feature and gameplay loop?

We've been stuck with this system for so long I think we sometimes forget just how jarring an experience trying to play a basic mage is for a new player. Why is it so jarring? Because you can't do basic stuff with it, because apparently the starting school isn't meant to be used to hunt mobs? Is Spurting a pig to death a lot of fun when you could just kill the same thing in 2 hits or so on a brand new character naked with a worn short sword? You start out and your spells do half damage for twice the mana cost....how do we solve this problem...spurt macro for a couple nights until mental focus and mental offense or whatever are maxed...do all that and you still can't kill mobs as efficiently as you could with a worn shortsword with no skill.

it's just sub-optimal design and should be improved. Even if you have no interest in the playstyle yourself you should want the system to be fun and functional because it brings more people to the table to play, we should give people reasons to stick around instead of frustrating them until they just play a fighter, or worse, leave the game. Hardcore should not equate to not fun.

If ecumenical isn't the school for basic fun PvE, or the basic gameplay loop, then it shouldn't be the only option to start with! UE4 has basic scripts for projectiles ya? well then fiddle with some of that and let us play with some little nukes that aren't hitscan and let us see how it feels. We all know that instead of doing this in the alpha, they're just going to copy paste the old system here, and I think that's a mistake, and a missed opportunity.

This isn't rocket science, you should be able to start the game, choose the path you want to take, and it should be fun to play from the start...so you keep playing.

To bring this back around to the point of the thread, because we will have only 1 character, the systems that make it into the new game have to evolve into something better than what we had before or they will inevitably be much worse.

Reactions: Kavu

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Regarding mages and being viable in PVE... Why note give them something like a staff? Some kind of magic weapon that scales with int, and does not required the usual melee combat skills.
Of cause it shouldn't be as strong as normal melee weapons. Maybe make it a bit slower than the usual melee weapons, so that it's decent in PVE, but not that strong in PVP. Or scale up the damage in PVE...

PVE as mage in MO1 was hard without pet, because you couldn't parry, and almost all mobs destroyed you if you were unable to parry.
Dunno if it should be an actual weapon since they are mages after all, but Im all for more of some kind of lower end spells that can use common cheap stuff as reagents, like spurt.

But gotta be careful, you dont want to make naked mages more annoying than they were in MO1. Id say some mobs should be weaker to some of these spells to make them farmeable while they do almost nothing to players. But of course it should make sense and follow the lore somewhat, not just random.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Something needs to change with it, which was my point in bringing it up in this one character per account thread, SV can't rely on copy/paste of old systems into the new game because the reality of having only 1 character effects a lot of systems. We used a multitude of characters per account, and multiple accounts to work around a lot of pain points and sometimes just bad design in the old game.

If most of those design decisions get simply ported over into the new game, having only 1 character just greatly exacerbates those same old issues, and we're left with something even worse and more frustrating for vets but especially new players.

I might be out of touch, I thought what I suggested about magic and it's usefulness in the most basic gameplay loop possible was self-evident, but it seems a number of people disagree apparently, and that's fine, but I still don't understand why it isn't worth trying to make it better than it was for like 12 years or whatever.

If ecumenical is the school a new player starts with, and it's designed for utility, support, and pvp, then why is that the only school available to a starting player if you can't use it right away to actually play the most basic feature and gameplay loop?

We've been stuck with this system for so long I think we sometimes forget just how jarring an experience trying to play a basic mage is for a new player. Why is it so jarring? Because you can't do basic stuff with it, because apparently the starting school isn't meant to be used to hunt mobs? Is Spurting a pig to death a lot of fun when you could just kill the same thing in 2 hits or so on a brand new character naked with a worn short sword? You start out and your spells do half damage for twice the mana cost....how do we solve this problem...spurt macro for a couple nights until mental focus and mental offense or whatever are maxed...do all that and you still can't kill mobs as efficiently as you could with a worn shortsword with no skill.

it's just sub-optimal design and should be improved. Even if you have no interest in the playstyle yourself you should want the system to be fun and functional because it brings more people to the table to play, we should give people reasons to stick around instead of frustrating them until they just play a fighter, or worse, leave the game. Hardcore should not equate to not fun.

If ecumenical isn't the school for basic fun PvE, or the basic gameplay loop, then it shouldn't be the only option to start with! UE4 has basic scripts for projectiles ya? well then fiddle with some of that and let us play with some little nukes that aren't hitscan and let us see how it feels. We all know that instead of doing this in the alpha, they're just going to copy paste the old system here, and I think that's a mistake, and a missed opportunity.

This isn't rocket science, you should be able to start the game, choose the path you want to take, and it should be fun to play from the start...so you keep playing.

To bring this back around to the point of the thread, because we will have only 1 character, the systems that make it into the new game have to evolve into something better than what we had before or they will inevitably be much worse.
Sadly it doesnt seem they want to implement any kind of projectile for ecumenical, they are already giving the excuse that "each magic school has different targetting" blah blah... sounds pretty lazy to me, they still gonna do a hitscan fireball that does a dumb animation like in WoW while having UE4 projectiles...

Reactions: KermyWormy

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Sadly it doesnt seem they want to implement any kind of projectile for ecumenical, they are already giving the excuse that "each magic school has different targetting" blah blah... sounds pretty lazy to me, they still gonna do a hitscan fireball that does a dumb animation like in WoW while having UE4 projectiles...
That response frustrates me too, because I see it as an excuse so they can copy/paste what they had, but what they had should have always been better than it was imo.

Reactions: a.out and ElPerro