One character per account

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
i think you still forgot that henrik said 1 char will have the equal amount of skills and opportunity than 4 chars in MO1 so wtf are you talking about?
I'm mostly trying to point out that I really like the one character idea, but I think they really need to consider how that will effect copy and pasting the old systems without evolving and improving them. I'm not talking about crafting related skills, whether we can fit 1-4 trade skills on a character I think will work without messing with those much at all.

I've been using the inequalities of using a fighter vs. a mage in daily farming and money making and the simplest gameplay loops as an example of how they need to adjust systems since we will be forced into one character and therefore 1 set of combat skills etc.

That evolved into some frustrations with the magic system in general, for me anyway.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I'm mostly trying to point out that I really like the one character idea, but I think they really need to consider how that will effect copy and pasting the old systems without evolving and improving them. I'm not talking about crafting related skills, whether we can fit 1-4 trade skills on a character I think will work without messing with those much at all.

I've been using the inequalities of using a fighter vs. a mage in daily farming and money making and the simplest gameplay loops as an example of how they need to adjust systems since we will be forced into one character and therefore 1 set of combat skills etc.

That evolved into some frustrations with the magic system in general, for me anyway.

I get that. By the time they release the new magic schools I was already burned out on MO1 and never got to enjoy what I wanted to be from the start: a fucking mage. Hopefully this time around the schools will come sooner.

What about specialized enemies that magic deals a lot of damage to, but not weapons? Wraiths, ghostly wanderers etc. Would create a niche for mage PvE outside of being heal bots.

I´m not worried about that crafting. Unless you want the very h igh end shit you always could have multiple crafts on one character. So in MO2 it should be a breeze to craft your own gear. Yeah, for cronite, ogh etc üeople will have to specialize but I think that the point.

Rathius

Jul 16, 2020
What about specialized enemies that magic deals a lot of damage to, but not weapons? Wraiths, ghostly wanderers etc. Would create a niche for mage PvE outside of being heal bots.
They could also rework mages to be much more useful than in MO1. For instance, if you removed needing mana to cast so mages could have a consistent source of damage (IE Thunderlash, Fireball etc) then you could definitely see them used more than just a heal bot, or someone that would hit a ghost a few times then run out of mana and be useless again.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
The disassembling skill has also a drawback: it could lead to leaking of recipes. When you disassemble a weapon you looted and get back resources, of every resource slot in the crafting, you're basically able to see what it was made of.
I think getting back the resources will need to be limited to rather common materials and have a bit random results.But even then it would be nice option to have.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
that would need a nice balance or nobody will look for proper crafters i guess
If advanced materials and crafting skills would be hard to skilled up that would not get full time master crafters out of the business but help basic resource gatherers and extractors to try some simply crafting to not get totally bored with their main jobs.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
As I said, just call a fireball a magic missile and it can be tab-targeted. Or have light beams. Lightning is also fast enough for hitscan.
Just change a few things around and hit scan is perfectly fine. They already said we´ll get projectiles for some magic, don´t see why it has to be ecumenical stuff.
Well if they reworked ecumenical to have offensive spells that actually fit hitscan then that would be better. At the moment tho it seems like a bit generic school. Your example lightning would be fine as hitscan, probably something like flamestrike too. But any homing missile that is just an animation looks like WoW tab target.

Also they have to limit hitscan spells to short range since they are way too easy to land from a distance compared to projectiles. Darkfall did this perfectly, you had short range "rays" that were hitscan and projectiles with longer ranges.

It could be years before they release any of the other magic schools too, and ecumenical will be the only impression new players will have of the magic system. IMO they should leave the specialized schools for later.

Reactions: KermyWormy

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Well if they reworked ecumenical to have offensive spells that actually fit hitscan then that would be better. At the moment tho it seems like a bit generic school. Your example lightning would be fine as hitscan, probably something like flamestrike too. But any homing missile that is just an animation looks like WoW tab target.

Also they have to limit hitscan spells to short range since they are way too easy to land from a distance compared to projectiles. Darkfall did this perfectly, you had short range "rays" that were hitscan and projectiles with longer ranges.

It could be years before they release any of the other magic schools too, and ecumenical will be the only impression new players will have of the magic system. IMO they should leave the specialized schools for later.
This is how I feel about it as well, they just need to tweak it somewhat and make the school that is available to all new players and that will be implemented at launch useful and fun to use. If it works well like it should, waiting on more niche schools won't feel as bad because what we would have would be fun and work well.

Seriously, if they'd make the mechanics of magic feel like Darkfall I'd play a mage all day on my only character in MO2 and love it.

Reactions: ElPerro

Xplozyon

Jul 18, 2020
I prefer 1 char per account but only if they can manage to lock it 100%. Gives nothing if you lock the front door but the back door is unlocked. People will do everything they can to get that advantage. Multiple steam account, different IP, credit card etc etc etc. So unless you find an hermetic solution, we might have to find something else about the char account limitation. With the experience I had in Darkfall from 2009 to last year, it better be perfect otherwise people will get into that leak like plague.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Rathius

Jul 16, 2020
I prefer 1 char per account but only if they can manage to lock it 100%. Gives nothing if you lock the front door but the back door is unlocked. People will do everything they can to get that advantage. Multiple steam account, different IP, credit card etc etc etc. So unless you find an hermetic solution, we might have to find something else about the char account limitation. With the experience I had in Darkfall from 2009 to last year, it better be perfect otherwise people will get into that leak like plague.
Another way to mitigate multiple accounts being made is we can increase the base price of the game, to say, $60 or $70. That way even if people made multiple accounts or abused VPNs, the upfront cost would discourage most people.

Xplozyon

Jul 18, 2020
Another way to mitigate multiple accounts being made is we can increase the base price of the game, to say, $60 or $70. That way even if people made multiple accounts or abused VPNs, the upfront cost would discourage most people.
The thing is it needs to be blocked. Any bottleneck will reduce but not avoid what they wanna do with this limitation. It's only good for those who can spend money. On Darkfall, I was running 4 accounts all the time 60$ subscription per month. 300$ is not going to discourage me if the benefits is there.

Rathius

Jul 16, 2020
The thing is it needs to be blocked. Any bottleneck will reduce but not avoid what they wanna do with this limitation. It's only good for those who can spend money. On Darkfall, I was running 4 accounts all the time 60$ subscription per month. 300$ is not going to discourage me if the benefits is there.
Oh yes I agree it needs to be blocked but there's only so much you can do. Maybe require accounts to be linked to only one IP address and hardware ID. Even if this were to be implemented, some of the more clever individuals will be able to purchase a VPN that will give them a fixed IP, and also use Virtual Machine to get a new hardware ID. Still, this should be an excellent deterrent for most people.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I have currently 4 Pcs across 2 people. Guess I can have 4 accounts no problem then xD Not that I would want too.
One is a server PC that is setup to run multiple virtual machines on it and can be used for remote use. Basically you can connect to it from the internet and its like your very own computer. Although it is a BIT slow currently, if I cram in a bit of better hardware in there I could probably run 4-5 MO2 clients at one time, at least decently enough to have non combat characters on there and they could be connected to from anyone I'd give access to. Every instance has its own HWID and regardless of who is connected there is no way to know its being played by someone else. sSo it'd would have to be detected through IP use, but then again. Good Vpns are cheap and it will really only hurt people with multiple people playing in one household.

I'd bother with at most 2 accounts so me and my slave labour... I mean GF can play together. It is very easy to cram in everything you could possibly need across two characters when the crafting and combat pools are split. Especially when I will be playing with the other people from AI. Remember, this is not Life Is feudal. The only thing that impacts the quality of items is the crafting skill. If you process animals, or refine metals at a lower skill level, all it costs you is more time to get the same materials(eventually).

But even as a solo player, just one account is more than enough. You honestly think you got much to gain from being able to solo gather, extract and refine, butcher, craft etc etc. Over being able to butcher the animals you like to farm(or kill mobs that dont even need that to make money) and make money then to buy the materials, weapons and armor you need from the market? If a fellow guildie of mine was actually on the forums, he'd tell you just how FUN solo extraction is. I mean, its great profit, until you get killed and lose hours of work. Meanwhile you could have low-risk farmed money in a multitude of ways and just bought the materials or items you needed.

There are plenty of ways to make money without combat, too.

People wanting to do everything themselves might think that its more optimal, but its not. Don't people remember what a huge time sink a lot of the material gathering is in Mortal? The best way to do most of them is in a group, and then you do not need multiple people with the skills required to do the job anyway. Hauling alone is a massive time sink, farming animals with a couple people with a dedicated butcher or two, either on standby in town, nearby or even following is extremely efficient compared to hunting, then getting everything back to town and getting it to your own other butcher character.

How about metals? Well... One character can do the mining, extracting and refining. In mo1 you'd be sort of limited to a couple refining appliances, but you are usually fine with just one grinding/crushing appliance and a refining appliance of your choice. The bigger problem is not in the skill. Its the absolute massive amounts of ore you need to Haul, process, store, get more ore, process, store and then haul the processed material to the next step of to process at another appliance and process it, store, haul more. Over and over again. Having multiple people helping even just with the ore mining helps sooooooo much.

Gear crafting? Well, seeing as you can be a fighter, have any amount of animal processing you feel like is the most efficient for what you are hunting AND on top of that most definitely have all the skills maxed to craft your own armor and weapons of choice. That would just leave out getting the materials you can not get yourself from what you are hunting. Not to mention you could make money for the materials you need with other skills and in other ways than hunting animals to butcher.

I think the sheer inefficiency is what'll keep people from just having multiple accounts.

• Love
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
He didn't say this. At least I'm not aware that he said that. He said 1 MO2 char will have more than a MO1 char, but he never said 4x the amount of MO1.
I think he has less than 4x in mind to increase player interaction, and reduce self sufficiency.
the last thing i know from november in old forum nearly same topic, and you rhias had discord quoutes from henrik,

Come on SV just drop knowledge what it will be about, WE NEED INFO: How, How much, Whats with reskill, Whats with Crafting jobs.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
the last thing i know from november in old forum nearly same topic, and you rhias had discord quoutes from henrik,

Come on SV just drop knowledge what it will be about, WE NEED INFO: How, How much, Whats with reskill, Whats with Crafting jobs.
Those quotes from Henrik were quite vague. He never stated exact skillpoints numbers. Only that it will be more than 1 MO1 Character...

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I think building the game around 1 character will be much better than how MO1 pretty much required you to have many characters.

But I also think it would be foolish for SV to put much time in trying to keep players from having multiple accounts. It will put more money in there pockets and also get more characters in the world if they allow players to do it if they want to.

Making the game where there is less need to do so will help though. Add to that the idea that there will be no free options to play and that each individual character will require a sub and steam account. These things together should already limit the accounts enough as it is.

Some players will surely still make multiple accounts but the game should be designed for it to be an exception and not the rule.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I have currently 4 Pcs across 2 people. Guess I can have 4 accounts no problem then xD Not that I would want too.
One is a server PC that is setup to run multiple virtual machines on it and can be used for remote use. Basically you can connect to it from the internet and its like your very own computer. Although it is a BIT slow currently, if I cram in a bit of better hardware in there I could probably run 4-5 MO2 clients at one time, at least decently enough to have non combat characters on there and they could be connected to from anyone I'd give access to. Every instance has its own HWID and regardless of who is connected there is no way to know its being played by someone else. sSo it'd would have to be detected through IP use, but then again. Good Vpns are cheap and it will really only hurt people with multiple people playing in one household.

I'd bother with at most 2 accounts so me and my slave labour... I mean GF can play together. It is very easy to cram in everything you could possibly need across two characters when the crafting and combat pools are split. Especially when I will be playing with the other people from AI. Remember, this is not Life Is feudal. The only thing that impacts the quality of items is the crafting skill. If you process animals, or refine metals at a lower skill level, all it costs you is more time to get the same materials(eventually).

But even as a solo player, just one account is more than enough. You honestly think you got much to gain from being able to solo gather, extract and refine, butcher, craft etc etc. Over being able to butcher the animals you like to farm(or kill mobs that dont even need that to make money) and make money then to buy the materials, weapons and armor you need from the market? If a fellow guildie of mine was actually on the forums, he'd tell you just how FUN solo extraction is. I mean, its great profit, until you get killed and lose hours of work. Meanwhile you could have low-risk farmed money in a multitude of ways and just bought the materials or items you needed.

There are plenty of ways to make money without combat, too.

People wanting to do everything themselves might think that its more optimal, but its not. Don't people remember what a huge time sink a lot of the material gathering is in Mortal? The best way to do most of them is in a group, and then you do not need multiple people with the skills required to do the job anyway. Hauling alone is a massive time sink, farming animals with a couple people with a dedicated butcher or two, either on standby in town, nearby or even following is extremely efficient compared to hunting, then getting everything back to town and getting it to your own other butcher character.

How about metals? Well... One character can do the mining, extracting and refining. In mo1 you'd be sort of limited to a couple refining appliances, but you are usually fine with just one grinding/crushing appliance and a refining appliance of your choice. The bigger problem is not in the skill. Its the absolute massive amounts of ore you need to Haul, process, store, get more ore, process, store and then haul the processed material to the next step of to process at another appliance and process it, store, haul more. Over and over again. Having multiple people helping even just with the ore mining helps sooooooo much.

Gear crafting? Well, seeing as you can be a fighter, have any amount of animal processing you feel like is the most efficient for what you are hunting AND on top of that most definitely have all the skills maxed to craft your own armor and weapons of choice. That would just leave out getting the materials you can not get yourself from what you are hunting. Not to mention you could make money for the materials you need with other skills and in other ways than hunting animals to butcher.

I think the sheer inefficiency is what'll keep people from just having multiple accounts.
Most of the players are very competitive which is understandable and they will spend a lot of money and time to get ahead of the rest.There is not
real way to prevent them from multiboxing.

In MO1 with my cousin we had all kind of crafters on many accounts which was not always most optimal and at one point I realized that with proper economy systems and with being more open to social interactions I could have better fun in the game.

I would love to see MO2 as a game when participation is more important than winning at all the cost.Personally being huge fun of computer gaming from 1980's and rather below average player I was always looking for feeling of getting into some alternative world as sort of escape from reality than winning.

If SV keeps direction of alternative world where you can immerse yourself into,instead battle royale arena,being average folk trying to survive in rather hostile environment should be fun enough with just one character.Be creative!Try to role-play!Stay calm,lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amelia

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Most of the players are very competitive which is understandable and they will spend a lot of money and time to get ahead of the rest.There is not
real way to prevent them from multiboxing.

In MO1 with my cousin we had all kind of crafters on many accounts which was not always most optimal and at one point I realized that with proper economy systems and with being more open to social interactions I could have better fun in the game.

I would love to see MO2 as a game when participation is more important than winning at all the cost.Personally being huge fun of computer gaming from 1980's and rather below average player I was always looking for feeling of getting into some alternative world as sort of escape from reality than winning.

If SV keeps direction of alternative world where you can immerse yourself into instead battle royale arena being average folk trying to survive in rather hostile environment should be fun enough with just one character.Be creative!Try to role-play!Stay calm,lol.

Honestly getting of the forums helps a lot with that. People around here get into this craze of "competition" which is sort off cute considering what MO1 was and MO2 is. Devs always said it´s a sandbox and they want the best possible combat. Not the other way around.

But those with a focus on PvP live in an echochamber where there own ideas (Abuse, exploit, prediction bad, noobtube, mounts suck, pets suck) get just repeated over and over in their channels till they think the whole community shares that view. In MO1 those kind of players then provided most of the feedback to everyones loss.

I believe they have learned from that experience and are now considering feedback more carefully. Hopefully that will translate into all the sandbox aspects. Cause anything that is not swinging a sword will get negative feedback by a certain crowd.

• Love
Reactions: Zbuciorn

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Honestly getting of the forums helps a lot with that. People around here get into this craze of "competition" which is sort off cute considering what MO1 was and MO2 is. Devs always said it´s a sandbox and they want the best possible combat. Not the other way around.

But those with a focus on PvP live in an echochamber where there own ideas (Abuse, exploit, prediction bad, noobtube, mounts suck, pets suck) get just repeated over and over in their channels till they think the whole community shares that view. In MO1 those kind of players then provided most of the feedback to everyones loss.

I believe they have learned from that experience and are now considering feedback more carefully. Hopefully that will translate into all the sandbox aspects. Cause anything that is not swinging a sword will get negative feedback by a certain crowd.
Listening to the customers might be important but following their advices to much often made games worst and tend to make all the MMO's very similar to each other.
People played those themeparks stuff for years and expect to be able to play any class and master it in few weeks then quit and move to the new game.
Mortal Online is bold statement against lack of originality in the industry and I admire SV for that.
Players who are trying to teach SV how to make the MO being commercial success don't understand the power of creative determination which makes this project already legendary in the history of gaming.LOL,fanboy alert...

Last edited: