Normalize reaction time

Dominulf

Aug 2, 2020
This ou of range hits happens to everyone even low ping eu players.

Interesting. So regardless of what is going on, if I make a hit on my client, it will register as a hit even if I am high pinging running around like a maniac

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Maybe using the longest range weapon will help with high ping?

No because the longer weapons are heavier and swing slower,making you even easier to block. Range is not the concern here, its the server-side blocking.

Interesting. So regardless of what is going on, if I make a hit on my client, it will register as a hit even if I am high pinging running around like a maniac

No. Not regardless of what is going on. If you make a hit on your client, it will register as a hit UNLESS your ping is high, theirs is low, and they go for a block. Then you don't get a hit.

*Edit P.S.*

For clarity. The issue is not with phantom range. That happens to everyone and works both ways.
The issue is with low ping advantage when it comes to actually going for blocks.

Reactions: Dominulf

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
No because the longer weapons are heavier and swing slower,making you even easier to block. Range is not the concern here, its the server-side blocking.

No. Not regardless of what is going on. If you make a hit on your client, it will register as a hit UNLESS your ping is high, theirs is low, and they go for a block. Then you don't get a hit.

*Edit P.S.*

For clarity. The issue is not with phantom range. That happens to everyone and works both ways.
The issue is with low ping advantage when it comes to actually going for blocks.

Wait, you mean you do get a hit, but it´s considered a block? Cause I haven´t heard about a US player plainly hitting someone on their screen that not registering.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Wait, you mean you do get a hit, but it´s considered a block? Cause I haven´t heard about a US player plainly hitting someone on their screen that not registering.

But.. that's precisely what happens in this video, which we have already linked in this thread.
This happens repeatedly throughout any fight with a European player who isn't asleep at the keys.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.

But.. that's precisely what happens in this video, which we have already linked in this thread.
This happens repeatedly throughout any fight with a European player who isn't asleep at the keys.

You mean that it looks like an unblocked hit, gives the sounds of a hit, but then it´s a parry?

Yeah I had that dozens of time with Dominulf (NA NW) as someone from sweden. It´s not a high ping issue. It might more prevalent with EU players since we have more time to react to a swing, so might put up a block later. Also we have the time to react to counters of fast weapons, which is impossible for high ping. Counterspeed of fast weapons needs to be lowered ot fix that.

Ah I rewatched it and oyu probably meant your last block that did not work. Ya, devs need to look into that one for sure.

Last edited:
D

Dracu

The fun thing i tried to reproduce that with 300+ ping. Hits always were no issue every hit i landed did land in time (+the ping delay on swing)on my screen and were blocked properly by the defender. Only my own blocks didnt do shit at all and all hits went straight through.

Also it seems to not be generally always like that. I tried it with 130 latency too and the delay and stuff wasnt as drastic as i orignally thought. It was nowhere near the shown state.

I honestly cant say why your latency results in this behaviour while Patt for example does not have these issues and his swings dont come slower too at a difference of like 10-20 latency?

Edit:
But i have to say that i saw this kind of delay with atleast 2 ppl where hits came 1 second after they hit my block on my screen. Super rare but did happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
The idea of the delay makes sense, it solves higher ping players insta hitting and swinging thru blocks, but they have gone too far with it. The goal IMO should be to put the high ping players swing speed on par with lower ping, not make them swing their weapons like mauls. If this is too fast still then maybe add a baseline delay to low ping players, to "normalize it". Also the delay should really start increasing after the 250-300 range, to target those most likely artificially increasing their ping

Last edited:
Reactions: Kavu and KermyWormy

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
the thing is if you make the stuff client side, wich you need in order to "normalize" the shit "maybe" than you have an open door for hackers/cheaters that spoof there movement client side. that would be a nononono but maybe im wrong and sv already got a solution for that. Or maybe the stuff we have now is the best solution available. I guess if a better way would be out there SV would have already taken that.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
WIch are the industry standards to make it less noticible?

I guess industry standard is not to develop a MMO using realtime combat, that includes interaction with other players attacks... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Speznat

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I guess industry standard is not to develop a MMO using realtime combat, that includes interaction with other players attacks... :ROFLMAO:

youre the winner
4b30jh.jpg

Reactions: Rhias

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
ashes of creation is the new 'wow killer' mmo thats coming... i read they have both tab-target as well as 'action' based attacks... maybe worth a look at how they're handling lag situations and how to balance offense/defense for people with different ping times. or maybe they avoid it completely by having a bajillion regional servers. could be worth a look

-barcode

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
ashes of creation is the new 'wow killer' mmo thats coming... i read they have both tab-target as well as 'action' based attacks... maybe worth a look at how they're handling lag situations and how to balance offense/defense for people with different ping times. or maybe they avoid it completely by having a bajillion regional servers. could be worth a look

-barcode
check black desert 100times better and a real mmo killer.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
the thing is if you make the stuff client side, wich you need in order to "normalize" the shit "maybe" than you have an open door for hackers/cheaters that spoof there movement client side. that would be a nononono but maybe im wrong and sv already got a solution for that. Or maybe the stuff we have now is the best solution available. I guess if a better way would be out there SV would have already taken that.
They already added a delay and its server side. We are just discussing how to tweak that delay to normalize ping advantage, at least for swing speed and blocking.

Reactions: Kavu

Zequron

Jul 13, 2020
How about a radial de-buff of some sort for everyone in vicinity of said player with the bad/worse ping, cap it at 350 ping slower attack/swing but not block.
Maybe it wouldn't work at all in some scenarios, but it would at least make it a bit fair:er for the bad ping players.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
the thing is if you make the stuff client side, wich you need in order to "normalize" the shit "maybe" than you have an open door for hackers/cheaters that spoof there movement client side. that would be a nononono but maybe im wrong and sv already got a solution for that. Or maybe the stuff we have now is the best solution available.

That's an awful argument when hackers are going to do so anyway. Hackers have already accomplished this, with the small community we have.

Hit detection is also already client side initially. If you spoof your swing speed you can already get through the block as a hacker. There's plenty of ways to exploit the system no matter what. Even if it wasn't hits, they could just spoof damage, health, or move speed values. Does locking off playing the game properly to two thirds of the planet based on the threat that cheaters MIGHT cheat make any sense to you?

I guess if a better way would be out there SV would have already taken that.

Why do you believe this?

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
If you spoof your swing speed you can already get through the block as a hacker. There's plenty of ways to exploit the system no matter what. Even if it wasn't hits, they could just spoof damage, health, or move speed values.
i really hope a lot of these kinds of things are detectable server side. swing speed should be checked by the server so if the backswing on your maul should take 3 seconds, if they swing within 1 second then the server knows something's up. damage should be calculated server side, as well as health updates and you'd think movement speed would be something relatively easy to check by comparing position deltas over time and if someone is consistantly over how far they should have been able to move...

anyway, i hope sv implements proper server side checks for as much as possible

-barcode

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Well sense this is still an open confusing talk. Let's go back to the basics of how latency works and where SV is now.

SV has a strong networking team that has been recoding ways for better connection with players around the world. These connections to players are going to vary depends on distance from the server ( duh ). As for balance the ping itself. VPN could help balance this though it would cost a hefty amount of money to put multi routing servers into their system. Many other games use VPNs when doing competitions to provide a less lag gaming experience. Though they usually have mutli regional servers that give them the advantage of keeping the pings close as is.

I've done lots of research and have been listening carefully to Henrik. It sounds clear that its a single server with lots of work put behind it to make MO2 work as well as it is. By only using one server, they can't add a delay for one ping and not for another. The delay would be a total server delay for everyone. Only because they don't have a separate routing for connecting to the main server ( aka routing servers ). Which causes the small issues of balancing long distance latency with shorter distance latency. Though they have pulled voodoo magic and world wide i could only get to 800 latency ( not including spikes ) . Rerouting my connection to 16 jumps instead of 7 to reach the server and even at that massive ping the game itself is playable, just the combat dsyncs badly due to the 1.5sec delay I get from the server ( makes sense 800ms x 2 1600ms nearly 1.5sec ). Oddly I could still get a block off once in awhile and make some contact with players pushing the attack heavily.

For them to smoothen out the combat from where it sits. A general delay could help, might only need 100ms total delay to give high ping players some more impact. Though this stuff doesn't help when fighting super low latency.

I believe if Starlinks information is correct, moving to their network may help dramatically, as the average latency world wide when using their network is around 100-120ms ( they stated something like 25-30ms... just giving them buffer room as no math equation has been released.) max. With the witch craft SV has pulled. Using nearly 160ms atm and the game feels great. If everyone was around 80ms-120ms it would feel flawless. Star Vault and Starlink gotta find a way to work together. Its not like Elon isn't putting thousands of satellites up to create a generally faster network than what is being used.

-Phen Votes Yay: Starlink and Star Vault creating a relationship.

Reactions: Eldrath