New Player Experience after Haven

Soothsayer

Nov 12, 2020
Instead of new players being piled into Tindrem after Haven (I am not sure if this is the current plan or not) I think it would be a good idea if during their time on Haven they can learn about the various towns via a story or a picture or learning what resources are nearby and then choose a town that suits them and start in the town of their choosing instead of Tindrem. I bet alot of people would be interested in places like Toxai after a well written description and you could even include some lore. It could also be short and sweet.

Bakti - Southern town near the vast jungle
Meduli - Western desert town close to Tindrem right on the ocean

Or of course give them the option of spawning randomly in the world.

You could even lower the choices so people were not too spread out during low population times.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
You could even lower the choices so people were not too spread out during low population times.

Doesn't make sense, because most players are going into a guild and will move to the city and area with their guild mates around. Spawning in a reduced number of cities by choice causes anger and ghosting to the real destination.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
I think this is a good idea; At the very least with a brief primer of Myrland and it's major settlements and powers. Assuming Haven will be a boat ride again perhaps limit it to coastal cities though this does reduce the options a lot. Either way I am all for embedding lore into as many places as possible

Tindrem: The largest city of Myrland. Comprised of several districts, most of which are well-patrolled by the tindremic guard keeping the streets safe for newcomers. Being a large city, natural resources are sparse and an abundance of trade is what keeps the city prosperous. Suitable for new players.

Meduli: A tindremic town that serves as the gateway to Sarducaa. This port town sits between the grasslands of the north and the desert to the south. It is known for its abundance of copper based minerals and exotic fish and desert plants. Being a smaller town, the tindremic guard patrols are fewer and less frequent, demanding more vigilance against criminal elements.

Gaul Kor: The ruins of a once-great Tindremic outpost, Gaul-Kor is now home to the scourge of Myrland; Murderers, thieves and raiders. Standing at the mouth of the wastelands of Herabalter, the area is rich in minerals but barren of most plant and animal life. Tindremic guard has long ago abandoned it's patrols of Gaul-Kor to lawlessness. This along with it's harsh environment make it a harsh and dangerous place for those starting out in the world.

The port of Toxai to my knowledge cannot be accessed from the same ocean as the others without sailing around Herebalter so I'm not sure it would make sense to list but if it was accessible:

Toxai: The exotic port of Toxai is home to the Alvarin and Khurites. Its isolated and naturally protected geography keep it safe from raiders and a short way up the path from it's impressive falls the Khurite capital of Morin Khur can be found. Like Tindrem this is well defended and has many facilities citizens can use to hone their crafts.

Soothsayer

Nov 12, 2020
Doesn't make sense, because most players are going into a guild and will move to the city and area with their guild mates around. Spawning in a reduced number of cities by choice causes anger and ghosting to the real destination.
New play experience... I am not talking about all the people who know to get out of Tindrem/already have guilds. Has there been talk of letting players spawn in whatever city they want?

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I heard a rumor that characters would spawn in a select city according to their race. Anyone have any info about this?

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Hopefully it is with only a short sword and a torch. Though it would be better if everyone just spawned at Sausage lake.

@SV check your records, I think you will see that the more you tried to hold players hands in MO1, the fewer people played the game.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
If they don´t change the layout of all the cities and facilities the noobs are gonna get slaughtered where ever they go.

In it´s current state it will just repeat the same mistakes made at steam release with possibly the exemption of queues. But I´m sure the usual crowd will claim it was the "toxic communitys" fault. :D

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
If they don´t change the layout of all the cities and facilities the noobs are gonna get slaughtered where ever they go.

In it´s current state it will just repeat the same mistakes made at steam release with possibly the exemption of queues. But I´m sure the usual crowd will claim it was the "toxic communitys" fault. :D
Everything will be more local since newbs will be popping up in different towns, some of which are very far from Kran or GK. Have to remember that there won't be guild towns outside this time around, it will have a big limiting effect on how many times someone will want to kill for no profit. It may be a year or years before houses and keeps are in game, we really don't know at this point.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Everything will be more local since newbs will be popping up in different towns, some of which are very far from Kran or GK. Have to remember that there won't be guild towns outside this time around, it will have a big limiting effect on how many times someone will want to kill for no profit. It may be a year or years before houses and keeps are in game, we really don't know at this point.

You assume that the flagging system is gonna take care of griefing, which it might or might not. It is a very lazy way of solving this problem.

Personally I would prefer for the game to give tools to the players to deal with griefers. Part of that is creating layouts that are not massacre pits waiting to happen. Relying on a mechanic to protect yourself will always leave you open to people going around it. Being able to physically resist and outsmart them is more rewarding and in the end more effective.

The flagging system will always be a paper shield.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
What is removing your ability to physically resist and outsmart those you are calling griefers?
No, the flagging system didn't work because of guild priests, it would have if every time one of those camping a priest died they had to stat up after ressing in a red town or wilderness priest.

No, I wasn't assuming anything about the flagging system, just saying that the newbs will be more spread out and their killers won't have just 1 or 2 places to focus them.

What layouts do you think are a problem?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
What is removing your ability to physically resist and outsmart those you are calling griefers?
No, the flagging system didn't work because of guild priests, it would have if every time one of those camping a priest died they had to stat up after ressing in a red town or wilderness priest.

No, I wasn't assuming anything about the flagging system, just saying that the newbs will be more spread out and their killers won't have just 1 or 2 places to focus them.

What layouts do you think are a problem?

Khurite towns:
Crafting houses and banks only have two entraces, both of which can be blocked by a single player model. The space is extremely limited thus making any AOE attack very effective. There are no alternative locations, forcing every player to use the same spot.

Meduli:
The crafting area is a literal pit where you can be attacked from above and escape is limited. This is at the edge of town, presumingly easier to hit when invading. Why would you put the crafting area in such an exposed position? The Inn is a literal cave, but at least you would need a bunch of players to block the entrance.

Fabernum:
Crafting area is alright, could use another one.

Kranesh:
Actually decent layout.

GK:
No idea.

This is just of the top of my head without spending any time figuring out how to grief someone.

Guildpriests only helped red players, not the actual griefers inside the blue towns. If you consider players who are red and kill others in open PvP outside of town griefers ... we have very different defintions of the term. To me they are just playing the game as intended. It should be the developers objective to design their map in a way that facilitates being able to avoid being killed if you play smart.

Just look at the map and figure out what would happen if you did not have flagging at all. Then design it for the most opportunity, ability to play your enviroment, protect yourself and your frieds etc.

The current layouts of the khurites towns are designed as if PvP and player collision will be disabled there. It is gonna be a major clusterfuck unless they change it - flagging or no flagging.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Well, I thought the priest camping of new players outside of MK (not what I consider pvp but only griefing) was the worst part of the steam release and did more to drive players away from the game than anything else in-game. Some players killed those priest campers but it was futile trying to keep up with it because they had a guild priest nearby and could just come back after we left (and if we died we had to run back from Kranesh area.) I don't know much about in town griefing, I never spend much time in those towns, when I started (in Vadda) we didn't have much of that. Fab did with it's doorways though, I remember. Guess SV doesn't mind the griefing. Though they may also change the crafting areas before release, (they seem sort of temporary in their placement.)