Votes: 45 26.0%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 20 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirteus

Nov 29, 2020
Now NA is complaining about higher ping disadvantage, if server gets moved to NA they might start complaining that high ping is an advantage in group fights or somethin xP.
Im EU, but sure Im open to server moving to NA to stop most of the whining.
Picked indifferent.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I think there are Greenland server providers. Maybe hosting the game on Greenland would be a good middle ground. Unless we end up getting two connected continents one being NA, one being EU. I mean Mo1 had the groundwork for it and could work exactly like that. So mo2 could technically too. Problem here is the monthly running costs for mo2 would pretty much double.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I think I would get ~250 ping instead of ~350+ if the server (singular) was in the US. It would likely help even out the ping for more players globally.

Yeah.

I think, again, people are getting blinded by bias for their current pings. A single server NA would mean that players across the globe, in a majority, would see an improvement in their ping. Would other players pings go up? Yes, but in an amount that the system could easily compensate for whilst giving flat improvements to others (And a larger portion).

Also for the Russians saying they don't want to play with 200+ ping.

russia.PNG

Literally one region which basically borders China in which it dips over by 8.

These pings are equivalent to current U.S. players pings, which many of you have stated 'is fine' by your own anecdotal standards. Therefore, you should feel no discernable difference with this kind of increase. Unless that is, you don't trust the system or entirely back up what you think / say?

Also for @Eldrath since you made a comment of places not being included. This is for you. This includes a multitude of countries east of Germany and even some further south, south-east.

tt1.PNG
tt2.PNG
tt3.PNG
tt4.PNG

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
in short, do you want to increase the ping on average for everyone and so that everyone on average feels bad except for the ON region?

if you have on average the same ping now that you propose for other regions when moving to NA servers, what is the point of these discussions? what is the logic? do you want to lower the ping for the rest, raise them to your the value that you have now and eventually normalised the ping for your region? so it turns out?

what is your ping value from you to london now?

Reactions: Redrag

Valoran

May 28, 2020
in short, do you want to increase the ping on average for everyone and so that everyone on average feels bad except for the ON region?

if you have on average the same ping now that you propose for other regions when moving to NA servers, what is the point of these discussions? what is the logic? do you want to lower the ping for the rest, raise them to your the value that you have now and eventually normalised the ping for your region? so it turns out?

As has been discussed and demonstrated several times already, it's a question of averages.

Moving the server to New York would likely result in a net decrease of the global average ping.

Given that most EU players will still be in the 70-90 ping range after moving the server, they would be on a better playing field than current west coast NA players, that are all in the 120 area.

It's not simply a matter of trading places with Europe and changing who gets the lower ping for no reason, there is statistical advantage to moving it, that will benefit more players while still being completely fine for EU players due to still having <100 ping.

It's also worth considering that North America is the second largest gaming market revenue in the world after China, which means more people who are willing to pay for and subscribe to the game.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020

I have 155 ping currently. This can fluctuate from 155 to 165. I'm in Texas.

Also, I don't understand. You first say you spoke to others and you don't notice a difference, and that it feels fine. But now you're saying I'm perhaps implying I want everyones connections to feel 'bad' on average.

It effects more people, that's why. This isn't about me you bone head. The moment you pull your head out of your ass and realize the ping would be, in flat, much better for a larger group of people the sooner this conversation moves forward.

From my perspective, you have a ping bias. You keep trying to straw man my claims by saying this is a greedy attempt for personal gain, when in-fact this isn't my want at all. I want a better gameplay experience for the MAJORITY of players.

• Love
Reactions: Steinerr

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
I think I would get ~250 ping instead of ~350+ if the server (singular) was in the US. It would likely help even out the ping for more players globally.

the stats do suggest a better average and a better worse-case scenario, if MO2 is not like MO in that is uses this ping range for this new ping-balancing then it seems like having a shorter min/max should improve the experience somehow ? or is it more complicated than that ?

are we saying the worst ping of known likely player base outside EU/US would then be no more than about 250 ? that seems like a fairly big deal.

i'm used to 320+ in MO anyway but this seems to suggest a better mean/average = a better outcome.

just trying to be objective because it's essentially pretty rubbish where i am anyway.

Avonis

Dec 20, 2020
As has been discussed and demonstrated several times already, it's a question of averages.

Moving the server to New York would likely result in a net decrease of the global average ping.

Given that most EU players will still be in the 70-90 ping range after moving the server, they would be on a better playing field than current west coast NA players, that are all in the 120 area.

It's not simply a matter of trading places with Europe and changing who gets the lower ping for no reason, there is statistical advantage to moving it, that will benefit more players while still being completely fine for EU players due to still having <100 ping.

It's also worth considering that North America is the second largest gaming market revenue in the world after China, which means more people who are willing to pay for and subscribe to the game.

It's all well and easy to find the statistics on the largest gaming markets, but those don't show what they consume. China's gaming market is dominated by the mobile game scene which produces most of their money in their gaming market. Don't point at numbers that just show a blanket market, those markets are diverse and certain markets like asia as a whole for example could be a whole lot less interested then europe for example. When people make games for markets they don't just look at "hur dur big money here boss" they look at what games are being played there because if you just put it in the largest market but it doesn't fit it, well you're shit out of luck. So please stop saying it'll on average be better when we don't KNOW where the players are located, this won't end until SV provide numbers because all y'all are doing is firing blanks in the air. Until solid real numbers from the devs are released all you're doing is making a best guess, and that's being kind at that. For all we know 90% of the population is Russian, obviously here i'm exaggerating because it probably isn't. All we can do is guess what the populations are based on our own PERSONAL experiences in the game and communities around the game, these don't equal out to hard data unless you've personally gone and collected the player data. This post is fine, it's a good talk but it's gone off the rails and is a poor representation of the community. We're all here speaking English and for all we know a large amount of the game population who don't speak English can't come and voice their opinions.

Reactions: Svaar and Zbuciorn

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
It's all well and easy to find the statistics on the largest gaming markets, but those don't show what they consume. China's gaming market is dominated by the mobile game scene which produces most of their money in their gaming market. Don't point at numbers that just show a blanket market, those markets are diverse and certain markets like asia as a whole for example could be a whole lot less interested then europe for example. When people make games for markets they don't just look at "hur dur big money here boss" they look at what games are being played there because if you just put it in the largest market but it doesn't fit it, well you're shit out of luck. So please stop saying it'll on average be better when we don't KNOW where the players are located, this won't end until SV provide numbers because all y'all are doing is firing blanks in the air. Until solid real numbers from the devs are released all you're doing is making a best guess, and that's being kind at that. For all we know 90% of the population is Russian, obviously here i'm exaggerating because it probably isn't. All we can do is guess what the populations are based on our own PERSONAL experiences in the game and communities around the game, these don't equal out to hard data unless you've personally gone and collected the player data. This post is fine, it's a good talk but it's gone off the rails and is a poor representation of the community. We're all here speaking English and for all we know a large amount of the game population who don't speak English can't come and voice their opinions.

I literally provided data ripped straight from Steam, and used the MO1 steam launch as an example. How about you stop firing blanks in the air with misinformation.

Also Valoran was using those statistics to show that the game markets are bigger in specific areas, specifically the U.S. which comes in second place. I don't think anyone was really advocating a server to benefit AS / Chinese players because MO2 doesn't even target that kind of audience to begin with.

Guess what? It would be better on average. We're talking connections and pings, they would be. Stop saying "we dont know where the players are located". We literally have 5 years of information from MO1 to get a GOOD IDEA on where they come from. If you think the demographic is just going to 180 because of MO2 you're actually crazy.

90% of the population isn't Russian, and yes. That is INSANELY over exaggerating. Without actually even using it to properly prove a point.

There is no guessing, genius. The only thing that can be guessed is the population beforehand (Before 2015). Which I would say was probably closer to even but still dominated numbers wise by the NA, SA, and AU regions and some but not all OCE players.

It's a game developed in English, with a website in English, with a forums in English, with an English Discord. What are you on about? People predominately speak English in this community, even if it's broken / busted.. and guess what? Translators exist. People can usually still express their opinion and those that want to read it can translate it. Might not be 1:1 but just to say they can't is stupid.

Also, please if you make posts. Stop typing everything in one giant paragraph. It just looks awful.

Avonis

Dec 20, 2020
I literally provided data ripped straight from Steam, and used the MO1 steam launch as an example. How about you stop firing blanks in the air with misinformation.

Also Valoran was using those statistics to show that the game markets are bigger in specific areas, specifically the U.S. which comes in second place. I don't think anyone was really advocating a server to benefit AS / Chinese players because MO2 doesn't even target that kind of audience to begin with.

Guess what? It would be better on average. We're talking connections and pings, they would be. Stop saying "we dont know where the players are located". We literally have 5 years of information from MO1 to get a GOOD IDEA on where they come from. If you think the demographic is just going to 180 because of MO2 you're actually crazy.

90% of the population isn't Russian, and yes. That is INSANELY over exaggerating. Without actually even using it to properly prove a point.

There is no guessing, genius. The only thing that can be guessed is the population beforehand (Before 2015). Which I would say was probably closer to even but still dominated numbers wise by the NA, SA, and AU regions and some but not all OCE players.

It's a game developed in English, with a website in English, with a forums in English, with an English Discord. What are you on about? People predominately speak English in this community, even if it's broken / busted.. and guess what? Translators exist. People can usually still express their opinion and those that want to read it can translate it. Might not be 1:1 but just to say they can't is stupid.

Also, please if you make posts. Stop typing everything in one giant paragraph. It just looks awful.

It's late or rather early i've been awake a while my layout was poor i agree on that, i'll try to make it a bit easier to read.

On the English note i had an entire subsection of my guild for people who didn't speak English at all, we can guess how many they number but we don't know.

You can't provide the numbers for people off steam or before, so yes you can claim it was "about right" but by who's metric is "about right" actually 100% right.

I stated i was exaggerating, because we don't know where the population numbers fall over the life cycle as we only have the steam launch numbers and on. The "other" part of the set being almost usless as we don't know where it falls, as you state yourself so it's just guessing.

In Discord we had a back and forth, you want me to provide data when all you're doing is showing data and only counting the parts you want to count and anyone who says otherwise "where's your data". Or showing large sets of mostly meaningless data but here this small part supports me so ignore the rest please.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
It's late or rather early i've been awake a while my layout was poor i agree on that, i'll try to make it a bit easier to read.

On the English note i had an entire subsection of my guild for people who didn't speak English at all, we can guess how many they number but we don't know.

You can't provide the numbers for people off steam or before, so yes you can claim it was "about right" but by who's metric is "about right" actually 100% right.

I stated i was exaggerating, because we don't know where the population numbers fall over the life cycle as we only have the steam launch numbers and on. The "other" part of the set being almost usless as we don't know where it falls, as you state yourself so it's just guessing.

In Discord we had a back and forth, you want me to provide data when all you're doing is showing data and only counting the parts you want to count and anyone who says otherwise "where's your data". Or showing large sets of mostly meaningless data but here this small part supports me so ignore the rest please.

Debating with you was pointless and you make no grounded, reasonable points. Your opinion basically boils down to this:

If you can't prove every single individual stat to the 't' then it's not worth looking at.

Even though this idea is about benefitting a larger majority of players in providing them better pings, which in turn provides a better player experience flat across the board.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

This. If it's a mere change in where the server is and who suffers the low ping then don't do it. But if data shows (and I think it will) that somewhere else is the optimal location for giving the most players the best average ping then put it there.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
People like you do not even argue in good faith.

You don’t like his data, then shut the hell up and provide your own. You’re such an expert after all.
To fill you in, he basically took the route that players played MO1 without using steam. I agreed, because its true. People did do that. I'm one of them, a lot of vets did it this way.

But the key point i was trying to express to him is that the statistics I snapped was the day of steam launch. Which people MORE THEN LIKELY played through steam because they would of had to patch first anyway. It was the steam launch after all. People probably tried the steam overlay with it to see how it felt, I find it a super reasonable thing to believe.

He however said the data isn't accurate by claiming the data from steam was only half of the people playing. So instead of 1.1k by his claims he was presenting there was 2.2k players at peak, which just isn't true. The server couldn't even handle 400-500 people sometime and you're telling me the server had 2k plus people on it? No. I don't believe it.

I asked him to prove that it was only half, but he simply started to draw me into a circle of "prove it isn't half".

My guess is its a player who potentially benefits heavily from the server and is allowing bias to cloud his judgment of the situation. If not that, then idk. The proof is here in multiple forms.

Reactions: Valoran
Status
Not open for further replies.