• Indifferent

Votes: 20 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Yes, but with some caveats.

1. I think they should put out a survey that pops up the first time you close the game after the patch they put it in with. It should test your ping against a number of potential server locations. There are already websites that do this kind of thing I'm just having trouble finding on right now. I voted yes assuming that the server that would give the overall best pings to all existing and potential customers would be somewhere in NA. But if it's not in NA then move it wherever it does work best. Server location shouldn't be based on where the developers live. It should be based on wherever will meet customer needs best.

2. As more continents get added the servers hosting them should be spread out globally. The results of the test should only be used in establishing who gets the first continent. There should be 2 localized continents ASAP / no more than a year after launch. And a third ASAP / no more than two years after launch (Oceanic players still get current NA pings on a NA server so they need their own continent eventually as well). Delay them enough to give them interesting flora/fauna/landscapes. But no longer than that. The faster everyone has a place they can experience the game at fairly optimal speeds the faster the audience will likely grow.
Henrik openly stated, pictures above. They won't be doing this. Not that it couldn't change but Henrik isn't open to the idea of multi-servers, so here is my thread that follows that ideal.

If he has stock in his system like he says he does, then this should be fine and will help more players.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
A while ago I did some tests on my own to work out where the real optimal server location would be, and to do that I used a website to run ping tests from all the countries worth listing to all the other countries, and found that the average players ping from "somewhere else in the world than the server" would be slightly lower if the server was in New York.

Here is the spreadsheet I made showing this:
Country Ping Statistics.png

These values undoubtedly contain some margin of error due to global network conditions at the time of testing, however I think it shows there is enough of a reason to consider a New York or east coast NA server.

The tests showed that most people from Europe would still have 70-97 ping to a NY server, while Americans currently have 70-130 ping to the London server.

The difference may not be that significant at all, but if it is indeed better then why not?

Last edited:

Rat

Aug 31, 2020
I just can't wait for the people that are always complaining about mild ping inconvenience to still get dunked and have nothing to blame it on anymore.
I'd be down to play with 100-150 ping and I'll probably meme the excuse.

Rat

Aug 31, 2020
A while ago I did some tests on my own to work out where the real optimal server location would be, and to do that I used a website to run ping tests from all the countries worth listing to all the other countries, and found that the average players ping from "somewhere else in the world than the server" would be slightly lower if the server was in New York.

View attachment 634

These values undoubtedly contain some margin of error due to global network conditions at the time of testing, however I think it shows there is enough of a reason to consider a New York or east coast NA server.

The difference may not be that significant at all, but if it is indeed better then why not?
Because we don't know where the average player is from.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I just can't wait for the people that are always complaining about mild ping inconvenience to still get dunked and have nothing to blame it on anymore.
Yeah it'll be awesome.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Because we don't know where the average player is from.

We would need to know where the most likely customers come from. SV claims to have the data of 500.000 players who tried MO1 over teh course of 10 years. They have the data of connections to their server.

Also I´m not sure if SV earns the same amount from someone subbing from a country with a weak currency compared to strong one.

Lots of things to consider that go above latency advantage.

Reactions: PatWins

you

Nov 30, 2020
Idno if u've ever worked on a thin client or dedicated server with high ping, but this would be a bottleneck on development.
Maybe if the game was done, and it was only a matter of hosting.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'm down to have 13 ping to new york tbh.

PatWins

May 28, 2020

View attachment 634

The tests showed that most people from Europe would still have 70-97 ping to a NY server, while Americans currently have 70-130 ping to the London server.

For sure if the positives outweigh the negatives, I can't think of a reason not to do it. However, there could be logistical issues or financial complications that we don't see from the outside looking in.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Not really gonna be a big change from now for EUs.
We already playing with NA ping atm.
Combat is slow enough for ping to not really matter being a real time combat system, faster paced and it would matter on both sides of the ping spectrum.
Finally taking away certain NA players excuses alone is enough for this to be worth it imo.

The problem is with SV, the ones you got to get to your side. Wont be easy but do state it will make the game easier for the population and ou should increase your chance for success!

Piet

May 28, 2020
I'm going to quote a wise man, who I misunderstood some days ago.

So YES! have it your way.
NA is the God's (whatever Divinity you believe in) chosen-one place of the entire world, even when aliens invade Earth in movies they just prefer NA.
All we citizens from other continents will bow to your evident superiority.

Ok, now you got votes, maybe SV will eventually move servers.

Can we start to talk about game development testing now?
Thanks.
Don't get me wrong people from NA are whiny and immature a lot, I am from there. But on this matter it's the people from Australia whining.

Reactions: Svaar

Piet

May 28, 2020
You have to consider. There must be someone who suffers from servers in NA. Although I would benefit you would just move the problem not solve it. There is always an opposite side of the world that would suffer higher ping.

Reactions: Svaar

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Would appreciate any and all spreading of this thread and encouragement to participate in it. While we may not be able to gather data directly from SV we can actively engage the fan base in putting their opinion down.

Charizard

Jan 1, 2021
You have to consider. There must be someone who suffers from servers in NA. Although I would benefit you would just move the problem not solve it. There is always an opposite side of the world that would suffer higher ping.
Where's your evidence for this? The above image posted clearly demonstrated people on average would have lower pings to a NY server.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020

View attachment 634

Those numbers actually look good. Even if they're not super-duper accurate but rough estimations.

Some that stick out to me, personally.

US & Canada (People forget about Mexico, South America, etc. as well)

While AU doesn't get an extreme fix, those numbers are just flat out better.

And while the areas listed under Asia take a hit, notice how Tokyo improves (Which honestly is a bigger hub of game revenue, when NA / SA players benefit more-so then AS players.)

Reactions: Piet

Piet

May 28, 2020
Where's your evidence for this? The above image posted clearly demonstrated people on average would have lower pings to a NY server.
I am not saying it's not better. I am just saying someone else is going to get some higher ping.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020

Just to reinforce that Henrik has indeed said with there system there should be no issue, so the servers being in NA would be even better for the player base.

I feel like henrik is just bobix (developer from LiF) all over again with his "lag compensation" code. Spoiler, it didn't work, and playing on a EU server (located in germany mind you) from NA was a total nightmare. MO2 isn't quite as bad as that, but it's still pretty bad. The first server should totally be in NA.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
want a server NA? ok then divide the game into regions. NA, Asia and Europe. even Amazon does not think about servers being located only in America =) finding a server in America is a utopia for residents of Europe and the CIS region (ukr/bel/rus/kaz etc).

in this vote does not accept a large number of players due to the fact that they do not even enter the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limmbo and Zbuciorn
Status
Not open for further replies.