Mounted

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
Any form of mounted play style should be high risk - high reward. Even though the game does a very terrible job of it, Mordhau portrays mounted combat painfully average in what I'd like to see. As in, you get caught by one by surprise you get squished; but if you catch them they also get squished (But one - two shots in any kind of skill based game isn't enjoyable so lets not follow that trend.)

The biggest issue in MO1 was the breeding system, and the sheer survivability of the mounted. Even though this shouldn't be the focus of their attention anytime soon I'll say this.

- Horses should have brains like they used to.
- Horses should move slower, the less health they have.
- Stopping instantly shouldn't be a thing.
- Running into things should knock you off.
- You should be restricted to specific weapon types whilst on horseback. It shouldn't even be a debate of weight, but rather type. One handed weapons and lances in my eyes.
- The damage should be able to be negated by parrying entirely. It's quite literally the stupidest thing seeing an MC, parrying and or blocking him, and getting hit for 15 through your block.

Just some stuff off the top of my head. But if you seriously think mounted play wasn't busted to some extent, then you either play a mounted or your so caught up in trying to preserve realism in a dark, low-fantasy game. They were unbalanced, extremely annoying to play against, and very easy to play with low risk - high reward.

Nah, Horse brain was an absolute cancer to the entire system and its removal was a blessing that was universally agreed upon. Horse brain was the idiotic system that led to countless people losing control of their horses for no reason because "Horse brain decides to panic" only to ride into water and drown the player, or over a cliff and kill the player, and so on and so forth. Horse Brain needs to stay gone. In a game, and this is a game, a certain amount of control and reliability is required, mounts are no different.

So you basically want stunlock/snare on damage to horses. So.. I take it people/players should also move slower the less health they have, or are you specifically targeting mounts because of your footie playstyle?

Stopping instantly was a thing because of the way the game acted mechanically. Hitting the R key to dismount while going full speed caused full stop. It was just poor unintended mechanics based on a keybind.

Running INTO things should knock you out, but players still do it on foot.

Not gonna argue the weapon type thing since I agree; two handed weapons were often selected in MO1 because of the damage output and the animations for attacks were so janky that you couldn't reliably land a hit. Fix that, you fix a lot of things.

I played mounted and heavy foot hybrid. I fought plenty of people on horseback, didn't even mind melee attackers from horseback, you know who was REALLY annoying? Mounted Archers and Mages. Ranged attacks, high damage, low cost and risk, high reward.

You cry about mounted melee, however of the mounted types, they took the most risk.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Nah, Horse brain was an absolute cancer to the entire system and its removal was a blessing that was universally agreed upon. Horse brain was the idiotic system that led to countless people losing control of their horses for no reason because "Horse brain decides to panic" only to ride into water and drown the player, or over a cliff and kill the player, and so on and so forth. Horse Brain needs to stay gone. In a game, and this is a game, a certain amount of control and reliability is required, mounts are no different.

So you basically want stunlock/snare on damage to horses. So.. I take it people/players should also move slower the less health they have, or are you specifically targeting mounts because of your footie playstyle?

Stopping instantly was a thing because of the way the game acted mechanically. Hitting the R key to dismount while going full speed caused full stop. It was just poor unintended mechanics based on a keybind.

Running INTO things should knock you out, but players still do it on foot.

Not gonna argue the weapon type thing since I agree; two handed weapons were often selected in MO1 because of the damage output and the animations for attacks were so janky that you couldn't reliably land a hit. Fix that, you fix a lot of things.

I played mounted and heavy foot hybrid. I fought plenty of people on horseback, didn't even mind melee attackers from horseback, you know who was REALLY annoying? Mounted Archers and Mages. Ranged attacks, high damage, low cost and risk, high reward.

You cry about mounted melee, however of the mounted types, they took the most risk.
Have to agree to disagree about horse brain.

I'm fine with that. If you're about to die, why should you be able to sprint out at full speed. As much as people shit all over the 'unintended feature' that was sprint breaks, I thought sprint breaks actually punished people who would dive into groups and basically be able to escape. Though obviously I feel like just outright watering it down to 'low hp' would be debatable. It'd have to be a deathly low amount like below 10%. Most of the time anyway your stamina was eaten away because it wouldn't regen and you'd be too busy trying to block / parry, or at least the better than average player would.

To touch back on sprint breaks on players, I feel like specific kinds of weapons should do it or damage types that go over a certain threshold in way of damage should cause a break in your sprint. Like if you get hit with a giant sledgehammer while running - you probably aren't going to be able to keep sprinting.

Stopping instantly might of been unintended, but it wasn't changed sooooooooo.

No, I think only on mounteds should you be knocked for running into things if going at full speed. I'm not looking to play a physics based melee-combat game where if I bump into others or walls I fall down.

Glad we can agree on something. Two handers on mount are not smart, and yes; I'd like to see one handed weapons actually have a purpose on horseback and on foot.

Well I can speak from playing Mortal Online 1 in the past six months (and for the longest time) that the biggest issues with mounteds in order would be mounted combatants, mounted mages, and then mounted archers. Mounted archers in my eyes for the longest time was the truest counter to other mounteds, but as MO1 is now and has been for a while - it's whoever had a better horse and gear. Not really who was -better-.

Because a smart mounted who invested so much into his kit wouldn't die. That isn't taking risk, that's playing something obscenely broken. The playstyle quite literally is charge, swipe, press r and turn; repeat. Melee blocking you? Oh well, thank goodness you play the meta blunt weapon and basically hit through his blocks. Mage charging Earthquake? I'll just avoid him and wait for his precast to go away. Mage isn't paying attention? Rush in and swipe him twice and he's dead. Wow, very fun.

And I don't think the idea of 'gold sink' should always result in 'being better'. I've played everything except a mounted mage, and I can tell you straight up that playing a mounted is one of the easiest things you can do in a game like MO where you basically can't die as long as you play smart. Don't want to fight, or can't win an engagement? You just mount away. Take too much damage in an engagement but it's only people on foot? Ride away, heal up to full, come back. Terrain? Terrain is a joke. You basically scale up things as in previous videos posted here.

Mounted comes in at a close second after pets & guards being tied neck and neck for PvP imbalance.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road

There's nothing to "Agree to disagree" about. Horse brain was a cancer, that nobody who actually ever used a horse liked. The only people who put on rose tinted glasses about it are the anti-mount foot-fighter life losers and the mages who got stomped by their natural counter in open plains.

Was the game world of MO1 predominantly flat and open space, assuredly, yes it was and I'll admit to that, and Badman's video's were dated back to 2015, and I know for a fact that by 2016-2017 SV had nerfed the terrain negotiation of mounts, especially that of horses and lykiators, the latter which were supposed to be the "all terrain mounts" which made them less desirable as their function became worth less than a horse.

There is no complaint you can make about the playstyle of mounts that is not also analogous to veela-veela dex fighters. Newsflash, nobody wants to chase speed demons with near limitless stamina, nobody liked foot-zerg pole-trolls.

I may be biased, it isn't hypocritical to point out your own anti-mount biases though, and I'm very much willing to bet you fell into the footie categories I've mentioned throughout this thread.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
There's nothing to "Agree to disagree" about. Horse brain was a cancer, that nobody who actually ever used a horse liked. The only people who put on rose tinted glasses about it are the anti-mount foot-fighter life losers and the mages who got stomped by their natural counter in open plains.

Was the game world of MO1 predominantly flat and open space, assuredly, yes it was and I'll admit to that, and Badman's video's were dated back to 2015, and I know for a fact that by 2016-2017 SV had nerfed the terrain negotiation of mounts, especially that of horses and lykiators, the latter which were supposed to be the "all terrain mounts" which made them less desirable as their function became worth less than a horse.

There is no complaint you can make about the playstyle of mounts that is not also analogous to veela-veela dex fighters. Newsflash, nobody wants to chase speed demons with near limitless stamina, nobody liked foot-zerg pole-trolls.

I may be biased, it isn't hypocritical to point out your own anti-mount biases though, and I'm very much willing to bet you fell into the footie categories I've mentioned throughout this thread.

Well again, I agree to disagree.

Also you speak with absolute certainty - which I can tell you, mounts still ascend many parts of terrain that they aren't supposed to. Now whether this is because mounteds in MO1 were basically driven into the sky balance wise from the breeding, to the actual mechanics involved in playing one (Which again were simplistic) or if it's because the outsourced world revamp broke the terrain in many spots (I'd say both) is probably the reason it still happens.

Also in respect to the veela-veela dex fighter argument. Armor weight has for some time now impacted stamina regen, so depending on your armor this point is up in the air honestly. Sure. They move faster, but guess what? There is plenty of ways to counter people who run. There is magic that dampers stamina regen, there are no-stam foot bows that people can pelt you in the back with, there is also just the simple idea that you can be more skilled in stamina management and eventually run them down. Veela-veela dex fighters to mounteds, is apples to oranges. They aren't analogous in the slightest. The oooooooooonly way I even remotely see this working is if said veela veela fighter completely pussy foots and never actually fights, as in, never attacks or comes close to whoever he or she is trying to fight.

Being a veela-veela dex fighter doesn't give you high survivability naturally, especially unalike a mounted. Mounted players can come near death against all odds and escape. They have the luxury of choosing who and what to fight, with little to no repercussions.

I'm going to stick to attacking your argument rather than the person, so I make no assumptions of who you are or what you know; even though I'm well aware of a lot of what you think is -right- or -wrong-.

Mounteds are over powered in MO1, and have been for a very long time. If mounted characters weren't players with giant hammers on hair-having go-karts that do insane amounts of damage (Notably MC) then I wouldn't think so.

Average foot build has anywhere from 180 to 210 HP. Armor is nearly irrelevant in this case as mounteds for the longest time have gone for purely high blunt damage to combat other mounteds (To dismount them) and to ignore peoples armor. I've seen people in Oghmium get four shot.

Oghmium. Four shot. By a melee weapon, by a guy who has incredible speed and little to no danger to himself other than someone swinging back at him. Sorry but I just think this is terrible design.

If MC did around 25-30 damage average, with 35 being the highest hit; against an above average set of gear worn by someone; with more counters to the playstyle such as...

1. Parrying the swing to negate -ALL- damage, instead of just parrying and being hit for 10-15 through it.
  2. Having skills in the game actually work, like 'Spear Stance'.
  3. Put rearing on horses if they get hard enough. (Not necessarily knocked, but if the threshold was 80 damage and it got hit for 80-81, it's movement would stop.)
  4. Having horses move slower the more HP they lose. Probably the first threshold being under 50%, and then the second one being somewhere around 10-15%.

Then I'd agree with you and say. "Sure, Rhodri. Mounteds are fine and in a good place." But sadly, this is not the reality of how it was.

Rhias

May 28, 2020

I really dislike mounteds but I need to agree that horse brain was cancer.
Random dismount was also cancer.
Not sure when the last time was when some people plaid MO1, but I'm pretty sure you can't 4 shot a guy in ogh with the current MO1 state of MC's.

The thing with the terrain is partly true. Normal riding speed of mounteds is slowed down a lot depending on steep. Unfortunately stamina drain got reduced when being slower and therefore there was a regeneration of stamina when riding uphills. This enabled the permanent use of the boost/charge functionality, resulting mounteds riding uphills still being really fast, whithout loosing any stamina.

The thing I dislike about mounteds is that they're such a zerk friendly mechanic. I'm close to a mountain on foot and manage to reach it before the mounteds (and should be "safe" since this is mounted unfriendly terrain). But unfortunately running to the hill results to low stamina. Those mounteds dismount (with full stamina) and are able to zerk me down within seconds. Back in the days when wheelchair mounteds where a thing nobody dismounted. With current builds they're basically almost fully skilled heavy fighters as soon as they dismount. As solo or small scale player you're nowhere save from mounteds, not even in mountains.

Also desync is a huge issue. MC rides towards you and charges the weapon on the right side. I press double D to jump to the other side. On my screen I'm on the left side of the MC's mount, and therefore out of reach of his weapons. But booom, MC hit's me like a truck...

Last edited:

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I really dislike mounteds but I need to agree that horse brain was cancer.
Random dismount was also cancer.
Not sure when the last time was when some people plaid MO1, but I'm pretty sure you can't 4 shot a guy in ogh with the current MO1 state of MC's.

The thing with the terrain is partly true. Normal riding speed of mounteds is slowed down a lot depending on steep. Unfortunately stamina drain got reduced when being slower and therefore there was a regeneration of stamina when riding uphills. This enabled the permanent use of the boost/charge functionality, resulting mounteds riding uphills still being really fast, whithout loosing any stamina.

The thing I dislike about mounteds is that they're such a zerk friendly mechanic. I'm close to a mountain on foot and manage to reach it before the mounteds (and should be "safe" since this is mounted unfriendly terrain). But unfortunately I'm therefore low on stamina. Those mounteds dismount (with full stamina) and are able to zerk me down within seconds. Back in the days when wheelchair mounteds where a thing nobody dismounted. With current builds they're basically almost fully skilled heavy fighters as soon as they dismount.

Mounteds have just for the longest time struggled to find a balanced place in MO. If they had more counters against them, as well as more risk in their actual survivability - with reduced damage from MC's specifically, I'd be happy.

There isn't even enough people playing or any footage of the last few months of 'PvP' activity in MO1 that really shows that MC is still crazily strong even with the weapon nerfs, people just switch to what ever does the most damage still which if I recall was halberds.

Nonetheless. I find the biggest point people make who are 'PRO MOUNTED' like Mr. Rhodri very much expresses he is, is that if you take the perspective of a foot fighter versus a foot fighter, things are relatively balanced. A lot of weapons in MO1 are useless, but there is enough to give you what you want. Warhammer, Flanged Maces, Sledgehammers, Star Maces, Spears, Daggers, Swords, Polesword, Poleaxes, etc. Beyond gear and ping - you're pretty much on a fair / even playing field when it comes down to who is more skilled.

And no, this isn't me going "all fights should be fair". This idea is dumb. That would imply I think a 50 man guild should lose to a 10 man guild. If the 50 man guild is equally skilled to the 10 man guild, the 10 man guild should lose due to weaker numbers. Just how it goes.

However...

These kinds of things are in player control. You can choose how many people you have in your guild, you can choose to play politics, you can choose to work or war with people. What can the players not change however? The mechanics in the game. You can't change how horses still have a lot of HP. You can't change how there is very little ways to counter them. You can't change how they have an insanely high survival rate (In the hands of a smart player). I could go on.. point being, these kinds of things are out of player control for the most part.

It's why I'd hope SV has taken a close look at MO1 and realized a lot of the imbalance that has been in their game for so long mainly stemmed from the additions of new pets and people utilizing them to their fullest, among mounteds, and player-placed guards. Not to mention some notorious schools of magic that got added that brought in a slew of siege-related siege spells ahem ELEMENTALISM ahem, that basically added onto the fabian strategy of not fighting and using things like fire arrows and elementalism to combat sieges, along with AI controlled guards.

Apologies for veering off topic, but these are things players have been stuck to deal with. Some will disagree, and refuse to use it; some will disagree with it but use it because it gives an advantage, some will agree with it because it suits their casual play style and gives them an advantage and an edge over others.

Reactions: Teknique

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Mounteds have just for the longest time struggled to find a balanced place in MO. If they had more counters against them, as well as more risk in their actual survivability - with reduced damage from MC's specifically, I'd be happy.

There isn't even enough people playing or any footage of the last few months of 'PvP' activity in MO1 that really shows that MC is still crazily strong even with the weapon nerfs, people just switch to what ever does the most damage still which if I recall was halberds.

Nonetheless. I find the biggest point people make who are 'PRO MOUNTED' like Mr. Rhodri very much expresses he is, is that if you take the perspective of a foot fighter versus a foot fighter, things are relatively balanced. A lot of weapons in MO1 are useless, but there is enough to give you what you want. Warhammer, Flanged Maces, Sledgehammers, Star Maces, Spears, Daggers, Swords, Polesword, Poleaxes, etc. Beyond gear and ping - you're pretty much on a fair / even playing field when it comes down to who is more skilled.

And no, this isn't me going "all fights should be fair". This idea is dumb. That would imply I think a 50 man guild should lose to a 10 man guild. If the 50 man guild is equally skilled to the 10 man guild, the 10 man guild should lose due to weaker numbers. Just how it goes.

However...

These kinds of things are in player control. You can choose how many people you have in your guild, you can choose to play politics, you can choose to work or war with people. What can the players not change however? The mechanics in the game. You can't change how horses still have a lot of HP. You can't change how there is very little ways to counter them. You can't change how they have an insanely high survival rate (In the hands of a smart player). I could go on.. point being, these kinds of things are out of player control for the most part.

It's why I'd hope SV has taken a close look at MO1 and realized a lot of the imbalance that has been in their game for so long mainly stemmed from the additions of new pets and people utilizing them to their fullest, among mounteds, and player-placed guards. Not to mention some notorious schools of magic that got added that brought in a slew of siege-related siege spells ahem ELEMENTALISM ahem, that basically added onto the fabian strategy of not fighting and using things like fire arrows and elementalism to combat sieges, along with AI controlled guards.

Apologies for veering off topic, but these are things players have been stuck to deal with. Some will disagree, and refuse to use it; some will disagree with it but use it because it gives an advantage, some will agree with it because it suits their casual play style and gives them an advantage and an edge over others.

Here some footage from a few months back. Some people will hate me for publishing it, I guess. It's a small fail compilation... They're doing a pretty effective push of mounteds and foot combined. They killed a lot of people, but to me it doesn't feel op. Getting hit on my Pansar Scale armor for roughly 40...

• Haha
Reactions: Malathion

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
  1. Parrying the swing to negate -ALL- damage, instead of just parrying and being hit for 10-15 through it.
  2. Having skills in the game actually work, like 'Spear Stance'.
  3. Put rearing on horses if they get hard enough. (Not necessarily knocked, but if the threshold was 80 damage and it got hit for 80-81, it's movement would stop.)
  4. Having horses move slower the more HP they lose. Probably the first threshold being under 50%, and then the second one being somewhere around 10-15%.

I mean only if your entire goal is to force people to stop playing MC entirely because it's so high risk and player unfriendly, then sure, these would be phenomenal. You're discussing this in bad faith and honestly It's beginning to wear down my patience on this topic. I'm getting to old to argue like this, it's been ten years back and forth, man.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I mean only if your entire goal is to force people to stop playing MC entirely because it's so high risk and player unfriendly, then sure, these would be phenomenal. You're discussing this in bad faith and honestly It's beginning to wear down my patience on this topic. I'm getting to old to argue like this, it's been ten years back and forth, man.

Well I'll spin it on you and say this.

Are you arguing that me parrying your MC at the appropriate time shouldn't negate more damage? And that it's fine punching through blocks / parries with 10-15's

Are you arguing spear stance-like skills shouldn't be a thing, or shouldn't work?

Are you arguing that if a horse got hit hard enough - that it wouldn't stop?

Are you arguing that a horse that has taken a severe beating wouldn't go slower?

I just don't find your reasoning very fair to claim "I am crying." in an earlier post, assume many things about my play style to rationalize your own opinion on the subject, only to end it with "well if you dont agree with me then your wrong."

The very blunt reality of mounted in MO is this - It at one point was fine, then it wasn't - it got stronger and stronger as the game aged, and this is due to changes and people becoming more knowledgeable about things. Weapons and material combinations, proper builds, breeding, etc. The only people who I've noticed vouching for mounted play being 'balanced' or 'okay' are the very people who excessively used it to keep their very much casual play style as strong as it possibly could whilst ignoring the very game damaging effect it had on the player base.

What's even more interesting is that you always hear "Wow so-and-so is a really good mage, so-and-so is a really good foot fighter, so-and-so is a really good hybrid, so-and-so is a really good mounted archer.." But I don't think I've ever heard - with no sarcasm or jokes being made, someone legit tell me they thought another player was 'an extremely good mounted combatant.' Cause the thing is - it's as casual as casual gets. As long as you PvE'd enough, you could have a mounted - and gear him to the teeth with the best - and as long as you didn't do blatantly stupid things like ride directly into the middle of a group.. You basically wouldn't be killed whilst wreaking havoc on other groups.

There is five counters that come to mind, and they are in no order of effectiveness but I'll elaborate on them.

1. Earthquake - This is by far the easiest way to counter a mounted, however the problem with this is prepping and spell-hold time. You don't hold the spell forever - and you have to cast+prep it. No, I'm not suggesting it's instant or what have you. But if a mounted sees you prep. an EQ. They just wait and don't engage. But honestly, if the mage is by himself it probably wouldn't even matter.
  2. Triple Strike - Fist weapons are already hot garbage to use, and it's basically a one-trick build. Wow! So fun! Pressing one button and doing a ton of damage with terrible hitboxes and animations. Triple strike has always had those two purposes. To do a ton of damage to a play in one hit, or to dismount people.
  3. Bows - Anyone can tell you right now, you need to invest into Ranged Combat and Archery to do damage to mounts properly. Even with a longbow and longbow arrows - it can feel like you've shot 20 and done nothing, not to mention that the mounted can just pull out at anytime and ride out of your LoS or load-distance.
  4. Blunt Weapons - Have to strike the head, and do a certain amount of damage; but any mounted with half a brain just avoids this easily.
  5. Other mounteds - Probably the truest counter to a mounted, is to fight it with another mounted. Basically a fight fire with fire tactic. Which honestly is just boring.
I've played MC and MA, and had toons dedicated to it. MC is hilariously easy and people just quite literally more often then not - can't stop you. You just decimate people. At least with MA and MFM you have to aim arrows or spells. But god forbid, an MC just rides up, swipe, press r and turn; charge and repeat.

Terrain is unreliable unless you literally ascend a mountain.

Like, I understand your view point. You think cavalary should be superior because of real-life influences. I get it. But this is again, a game. Games are for the most part made to be enjoyed. If Mortal Online was to simulate realism then they need to start scrapping a lot of stuff instantly because I don't recall magic or thursars existing in real life.

A majority of people will tell you, both who have played mounteds; and haven't played mounteds.. That more often then not it is a casual, very easy play style with low risk high reward.

Feel free to respond back, or don't - but this is very much an agree to disagree kind of thing. Mounteds for me years of playing this game have always been very broken, and that's just the PvP element of it. Don't even get me started on MA's in relations to PvE content.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Are you arguing that if a horse got hit hard enough - that it wouldn't stop?

Are you arguing that a horse that has taken a severe beating wouldn't go slower?
But this is again, a game. Games are for the most part made to be enjoyed. If Mortal Online was to simulate realism then they need to start scrapping a lot of stuff instantly because I don't recall magic or thursars existing in real life.

First you're argue with real life logic, and then you say you should not argue with real life logic cause it's a game. Did you even read your own post?

You forgot to mention overhead strike. Also an effective counter...

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
First you're argue with real life logic, and then you say you should not argue with real life logic cause it's a game. Did you even read your own post?

You forgot to mention overhead strike. Also an effective counter...

I guess if you take it out of context, sure it might appear that way. But no, I was definitely approaching that from an in-game perspective.

Cause as it stands in MO1, horses are entirely unphased no matter what you do to them outside of dismounting someone. Which I think is apart of the problem.

And I guess overhead strike? I've never seen someone just use Overhead strike reliably and effectively to just consistently dismount people, nor' have I heard anyone mention it before as a counter. I was focusing more on actual effective methods of countering mounteds which is honestly just EQ and Triple Strike.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I guess if you take it out of context, sure it might appear that way. But no, I was definitely approaching that from an in-game perspective.

Cause as it stands in MO1, horses are entirely unphased no matter what you do to them outside of dismounting someone. Which I think is apart of the problem.

And I guess overhead strike? I've never seen someone just use Overhead strike reliably and effectively to just consistently dismount people, nor' have I heard anyone mention it before as a counter. I was focusing more on actual effective methods of countering mounteds which is honestly just EQ and Triple Strike.
2h short handle steel halberd with proper blunt enhancement. Works like a charm. Especially since nobody expect's it to dismount.

In this video just a normal swing and not a overhead through.

Didn't find any on video without digging to deep into all my videos. But trust me, there have been a lot of dismounts with overheadstrike on my 2h steel halberd with blunt/piercing enhancement.
PS: The same halberd with a blunt/slashing enhancement only rarely dismounts. Most people didn't know that and therefore a lot of people don't believe that a steel halberd is able to dismount...

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway

Overhead strike for a time was used to kill the mounted instead of the mount since mounts had insane amounts of HP compared to the rider.
It was very much used back before Molvas was taken out so way back. You could not hit the rider of a molva due to Molvas being so big back then and had insane HP.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Rein in MC dmg, rein in horse HP, rein in max speeds and acceleration, balance breeding so there never is a super horse, and make the designed functional counters to MC actually function. Balance it so there are tradeoffs in choosing one style over another, the playstyle should still be fun and be beneficial in scenarios where it makes sense for those who enjoy it. They don't need to destroy the playstyle to "fix it" just balance it so it has strengths and weaknesses.

I think there is actually a fairly large range where they could balance this stuff way better than they did without going to extremes on either end, in MO1 it's just another example of the strange way SV kind of added so many seemingly independent things that in the end weren't actually independent and in fact had a kind of almost multiplicative affect all together which gave MCs the reputation they have.

Having control of all those independent tuning knobs again from the start and knowing how each one will impact the playstyle collectively, maybe they can keep in mind a plan or vision on how that playstyle should be in its mature state and be better able to keep things from going over that healthy threshold this time around.

Last edited:

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Here some footage from a few months back. Some people will hate me for publishing it, I guess. It's a small fail compilation... They're doing a pretty effective push of mounteds and foot combined. They killed a lot of people, but to me it doesn't feel op. Getting hit on my Pansar Scale armor for roughly 40...
Wasn't this just after the last mounted weapon nerf patch? Im pretty sure ppl found better weapons that did more than 40 a hit a few weeks later.

Anyways mounteds doing a bit more damage than foot is fine and would be balanced if they also werent unstoppable tanks in go karts. Id say the following is most broken with mounteds:

1. Horses full stopping and turning around like go karts. Maybe horse brain is too complicated for SV to get right, but horses should feel like actual horses. In MO1 you can pretty much stick someone on foot, even in mountain terrain. Factoring in the massive hp of horses and MCs are comfortable just sitting inside a foot group whacking everyone or they can just stop right in front of you and wait for you with a charged swing. This is one of the big reasons MC is so easy to use and skill less.

2. Breeding. Any nerfs SV has tried has been minimal, like 20hp less at most I think. Whoever thought having an uber mount with best every stat was a good balance decision should be shot. Not only from a balance perspective but from a sandbox rpg one too, theres no choice or options to min max depending on the situation, and it pretty much killed the taming profession. IMO breeding should only be a convenience thing and tamed mounts should be equal or even better if they are exceptional.

3. Terrain. Mounts can still scale up mountain terrain like nothing, mostly because they regen stam and can boost non stop. Dunno if this was intended in MO1 or a consequence of bad coding, but it should be fixed in MO2.

4. Hits damaging thru parries. Enough said.

5. Too fast. The servers just cant handle the speed of mounts, and it brings tons of prediction issues especially with high ping players.

If they fixed these things, we could remove some of the hard counters to mounteds like stuns (dismounts) or at least soften em up a bit, like 1-2 seconds to stand up instead of 6-7. Crowd Control doesnt really suit a skill based game like MO and its not fun to anyone.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
2h short handle steel halberd with proper blunt enhancement. Works like a charm. Especially since nobody expect's it to dismount.

In this video just a normal swing and not a overhead through.

Didn't find any on video without digging to deep into all my videos. But trust me, there have been a lot of dismounts with overheadstrike on my 2h steel halberd with blunt/piercing enhancement.
PS: The same halberd with a blunt/slashing enhancement only rarely dismounts. Most people didn't know that and therefore a lot of people don't believe that a steel halberd is able to dismount...
A bit surprising that you would argue in favor of mounteds.

Your video shows you dismounting the man at 1:13 and it takes you 17 seconds to kill him in a 1v10 or w/e that was while he is fully stunlocked. In a group fight you can't afford to have 10 of your fighters chasing around a kill for 17 seconds, you may get the kill but there's a good chance you'll wipe. It might sound ridiculous to some but mounted's have won group fights just by getting eq'd and soaking dmg and stam. You focus the horse and mounted only to find the group has closed distance on you and you're at a stam deficit.

People want the system changed entirely and that is fair. No +500% to mobility +500% to surivability but no stunlocks as well.

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
A bit surprising that you would argue in favor of mounteds.

Your video shows you dismounting the man at 1:13 and it takes you 17 seconds to kill him in a 1v10 or w/e that was while he is fully stunlocked. In a group fight you can't afford to have 10 of your fighters chasing around a kill for 17 seconds, you may get the kill but there's a good chance you'll wipe. It might sound ridiculous to some but mounted's have won group fights just by getting eq'd and soaking dmg and stam. You focus the horse and mounted only to find the group has closed distance on you and you're at a stam deficit.

People want the system changed entirely and that is fair. No +500% to mobility +500% to surivability but no stunlocks as well.

Just wanted to point out that there more options then mentioned and the discussion feels sometimes a bit... one sided.
But I fully agree with what chingaperros said above.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Oh and for those that know how broken mounted used to be in MO.

Anyone remember ItzCarnage ? Lagged towards you then boom hit, lagged away and suddenly boom hit over and over. He was the perfect example of how insane mounted was at one point.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
yeah mounted with really high ping was always cancerous to fight against.
Still the worst was oneshot silly hammers and then oneshot lances, hasnt been that bad since.

Reactions: Rhias