Manually Draw Weapon For Bandaging [Poll]

Should players have to manually sheathe / draw for bandage usage?

• Yes

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
As many of you know, currently the way bandaging works right now is if you have a weapon out and use your bandage; it automatically will put your weapon away and automatically draw it back out - this I believe should be removed. Players should have to manually stow their weapon to bandage, and manually brandish their weapon again to use it.

I feel this is one of the many little features that crutches the combat overall, as right now everyone bandages at the same speed. Sometimes players don't bandage at proper times, and having their bandage key automatically stow their weapon is like a mini "oh shit" button in a way.

I get this was probably done as a QoL feature - but I don't really see the purpose in it right now as it makes bandaging the same speed across all players as opposed to players having to sheathe, bandage, then re-draw rather then pressing one button that'll net them the best bandage-time possible thanks to the way it works.

What do you guys think?

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Indifferent for me. I can easily change some habits like this and I don't see it as a big change.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I still sheath and bandage manually despite the change because I want to be in control of when I do both actions, and if making use of the new mechanics I always feel like I'm guessing when my weapon is going be available again.

I don't personally feel there is any advantage to using the mechanic at all besides in a situation where it wouldn't matter anyways.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
Voted yes mainly because I dont like that an accidental press of the bandage button puts your weapon away.
Not a big deal, but I preferred it the way it was in MO1

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I'm a mage, and I approve this message. Because it won't affect me and nerfs melees.

Seriously though, banding has an element of skill in that you're down your weapon until it's done. If you just hit B (Or whatever you have them bound to) when your health gets low without considering who is around you and if you have some distance on your enemy, you gonna die.

I feel like this is a harsh nerf to the main class that needs those bandies (Given I will also have spells for healing but many melees won't). But ultimately if that's what melees want I don't mind seeing melees nerfed.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
So in my opinion, when you press the activation of the bandage, there is an animation and this is a kind of penalty that while using the bandage you can be damaged. it should be so. why do you need to complicate a simple action and increase the number of pressed keys. Or did I misunderstand the idea?

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Or did I misunderstand the idea?

Skill Based and balance. I think its what you misunderstood.
Just like taming. A lot of people wanted a more skill based pet management in combat, with some skills you can use or manually control your pet. so you dont have to press 1 button only which is not skill based.

I liked how MO1 bandages was working. You could also take a chance of popping a bandages and go back into the fight before you get heal... taking the chance of getting hit and get less HP gain from the bandages, but you could make the big difference by being there at the right place at the right moment hitting the right guy... instead of waiting for your HP coming back from your bandages. It add Skill based mechanic that the player have 2 path to take instead of one.... i just think it was great.

Little thing make big difference.

Reactions: Rorry

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
Skill Based and balance. I think its what you misunderstood.
Just like taming. A lot of people wanted a more skill based pet management in combat, with some skills you can use or manually control your pet. so you dont have to press 1 button only which is not skill based.

I liked how MO1 bandages was working. You could also take a chance of popping a bandages and go back into the fight before you get heal... taking the chance of getting hit and get less HP gain from the bandages, but you could make the big difference by being there at the right place at the right moment hitting the right guy... instead of waiting for your HP coming back from your bandages. It add Skill based mechanic that the player have 2 path to take instead of one.... i just think it was great.

Little thing make big difference.
then it's easier to introduce HP bottles into the game. ate and immediately restored life. but this is an unbalanced mechanic. there should be a penalty since you received damage and you need time to recover.

I would have left it as it is with a few adjustments. if the player applied a bandage and received damage when the healing timer is on, then the timer should reset and the player must apply the bandage again.

D

Dracu

Just make it optional and everybody’s happy. Jeeeez always these „this is the only way to play kinda polls“

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Just make it optional and everybody’s happy. Jeeeez always these „this is the only way to play kinda polls“
Making it optional doesn't make sense here, that's like asking for bringing back the attack queuing but have it optional.

One side is clearly easier for the player here and I believe that is the sentiment of the post, to not make it automated so there's the possibility of someone pressing the keys perfectly and being more efficient than someone else who does not know the exact input timing thereby making the game more skill based.

I have been holding off on replying to this thread because I honestly couldn't make up my mind about it.

In MO1 all you had to do was sheath your weapon while spamming your bandage hotkey, then as soon as it applied you could take out the weapon again and continue fighting while the timer went off and you got health at the end. This is no longer the case as we now have an actual bandage applying animation so it's not the exact same system as MO1.

That said, I don't think it would be particularly annoying to have to sheath your weapon, press the hotkey button, then change the animation so the end of the wrapping is more abrupt and identifiable (instead of slowly looking at your own hand for no reason like we currently do) then simply pressing the unsheath button again at that cue and being able to continue fighting while the last few seconds of the timer run out before getting health.

I think i'm leaning on the side of making it manual, provided the animation is tweaked a bit, simply because it's really not a hassle to do it yourself and does provide more of a sense of agency and interaction.

• Haha
Reactions: Dracu

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Make a poll instead to have bandaging work like it did in MO1. The way it is in MO2 discourages solo/small scale outnumbered fights since it locks your weapon away for 5+ seconds.

Raziel

Jan 30, 2021
Switzerland
I would guess with this crowd of old MO1 fans it will always be yes out of nostalgia.

I voted NO though. As I believe anyone can press a couple more buttons to sheathe / draw and bandage.

It demands a couple more tries to get use to it, I wouldn’t call that skill. Though I’d welcome any improvement of life in a game such as MO cause those were highly needed back in the days. Plus it will make combats more dynamic if you don’t need to press 3 buttons to bandage once.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
i do not agree. It feels better, if your character will automatically put your weapon away. Maybe the game should not automaticly draw it back out, in case you want to switch to a dissmount weapon.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I personally feel it is unnecessary, unless as someone pointed out it somehow provides an unfair advantage of any kind to some players. If that were the case then it needs to be looked into and addressed.

I feel that being able to change weapons with one button press (auto-sheathing current weapon, switching to another weapon, and unsheathing it) was a great QoL feature. Being able to bandage up by pressing one button instead of three is, for me, along the same vein.

Again, unless there was an unfair advantage that could be gained by it, I don't see the need to make it more of a chore. It would also help newcomers to settle in a little better knowing that they didn't have to manually press three buttons just to apply a bandage every time during combat.

Reactions: Raziel

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
As many of you know, currently the way bandaging works right now is if you have a weapon out and use your bandage; it automatically will put your weapon away and automatically draw it back out - this I believe should be removed. Players should have to manually stow their weapon to bandage, and manually brandish their weapon again to use it.

I feel this is one of the many little features that crutches the combat overall, as right now everyone bandages at the same speed. Sometimes players don't bandage at proper times, and having their bandage key automatically stow their weapon is like a mini "oh shit" button in a way.

I get this was probably done as a QoL feature - but I don't really see the purpose in it right now as it makes bandaging the same speed across all players as opposed to players having to sheathe, bandage, then re-draw rather then pressing one button that'll net them the best bandage-time possible thanks to the way it works.

What do you guys think?
I really like the idea, WOuld be cool.

but im not PVP enough to judge that.
Maybe we should ask some hardcore palyers like: @Teknique @Rhias @HornyFurry and Zoonstel wich forum name i always forget xD.
I think there judgement is needed for the disccusion. :)

anyway Party hard

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I don't like the fact that if you accidentally bump the button that you have your bandages bound to, you are stuck and unable to fight for a few seconds. But it is a learn to play issue, so I will be fine with either, though I voted yes. I would still rather they did it like MO1.