Magic is stupid in mortal online 2

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I personally prefer the term "battlemage" for melee+magic since you are correct. Most builds have a minimum of two functions between archery, magic, melee, beastmastery, and mounted/foot. But there will certainly be many builds that run no magic at all. As far as I've heard we were getting 1200 skillpoints but in-game and in Mortal Data we have 1100 so I think that may have changed. Looks like we are looking at 1100-1200. A lot of MO1 builds are directly portable with minor tweaks either way and we can make new builds based on things we now know about MO2 like the dex nerf with relatively high accuracy.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Is this iteration in any way superior to what we had in MO1 besides the Mortal Royale style being able to cast with weapon/shield out of combat?

I haven't checked it out yet personally so I'll withold judgement until then, but it doesn't sound like it's been anything but another copy/paste, if functionally true then this is just another failed opportunity by SV when they could have iterated and improved on what they had.

I brought up this opportunity like 6 months ago here:

https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/improving-magery-for-mo2.352/

It's too long, but the point was that they need to iterate and improve on the old design and make magery as fun and functional from the start as every other combat playstyle is. From what I can tell they didn't do that and they settled for the lazy option we've been getting so often in MO2 ... copy/paste. What's that thing people say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result..it's insanity.

And for the people who keep parroting that ecumenical is how it is because it's a jack of all trades...designed to be paired with pets..only meant for support etc etc...if that's what it is going to forever be...then don't make that the beginner school every new player has access to, or launch another damage only based school with nukes alongside it so mages can do basic pve gameplay loops every beginner fighter can.

Reactions: ixxxo

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
I personally prefer the term "battlemage" for melee+magic since you are correct. Most builds have a minimum of two functions between archery, magic, melee, beastmastery, and mounted/foot. But there will certainly be many builds that run no magic at all. As far as I've heard we were getting 1200 skillpoints but in-game and in Mortal Data we have 1100 so I think that may have changed. Looks like we are looking at 1100-1200. A lot of MO1 builds are directly portable with minor tweaks either way and we can make new builds based on things we now know about MO2 like the dex nerf with relatively high accuracy.
Actually we currently have 20000 action points and 1100 profession points :p

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
And for the people who keep parroting that ecumenical is how it is because it's a jack of all trades...designed to be paired with pets..only meant for support etc etc...if that's what it is going to forever be...then don't make that the beginner school every new player has access to, or launch another damage only based school with nukes alongside it so mages can do basic pve gameplay loops every beginner fighter can.

I do agree with this. More schools should be added ASAP and I've never been a huge fan of Ecumencial being so important to begin with. It feels much more like a supplemental school than a school that should be the backbone of the entire magic system. Like the way I've made my beta footmage viable is by swapping psyche for strength and picking up martial weapons. Having even a weak ranged/melee attack I don't have to charge makes the build 500% more soloable as I can run and gun just like any other Alvarin build when someone isn't on me.

Even just removing the charge time on spurt and upping the damage a little bit (perhaps at a cost of range and/or mana if it feels too powerful) would make footmages feel WAY more viable IMO. I see they've added it back as a way to bait out magic reflect. Great. So a grinder spell nobody will use in actual fights, even in PVE, just like last time. Thanks.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Ha ha I said make ONE spell like a bow and arrow, no spellcasting failure just prepare and shoot like a bow in distance and strength and maybe some quick cast deflect arrow, and you come with this ridiculous concept of calling that naked idiot now with a mana based bow equal pvper...

Totally idiotic comparison...

I ALSO SAID JUST MAKE THE RANGE LONGER, to give wizards a place as catapults in game as artillery.... but no, ridiculous nerf range...

Mages having spells against each other is the worse stupidity of this system, since you want to defend yourself in someway from the other two types of char...

Further, you could add long range spells and camouflage spell like predator and shift the mage to a more opportunistic gameplay influencing but not dominating a battle without going suicide.
I said if we would make the mage like you want them to be.
Than the mage would an an equal pvper. and than everybody would play mage because its the most cost effective than.

When you make the mage better than you need to spend the equal amount of money as a fighter to be pvp ready.
Because otherwise it will be 100% mage online.

but anyway maybe im wrong but I think the most people would agree on this.

Not

Mar 2, 2021
Until camuflage and wall spells are created wizard are not such thing in mortal.. they would be so cool with spelltraps and long casting really long range dramatical spells...

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
I do agree with this. More schools should be added ASAP and I've never been a huge fan of Ecumencial being so important to begin with. It feels much more like a supplemental school than a school that should be the backbone of the entire magic system. Like the way I've made my beta footmage viable is by swapping psyche for strength and picking up martial weapons. Having even a weak ranged/melee attack I don't have to charge makes the build 500% more soloable as I can run and gun just like any other Alvarin build when someone isn't on me.

Even just removing the charge time on spurt and upping the damage a little bit (perhaps at a cost of range and/or mana if it feels too powerful) would make footmages feel WAY more viable IMO. I see they've added it back as a way to bait out magic reflect. Great. So a grinder spell nobody will use in actual fights, even in PVE, just like last time. Thanks.
I've always argued you have to add all core features that affect balance as early as possible. Adding different magic that will drastically change gameplay over time is like adding melee a year after release.

On the topic of Ecumenical as we have it, they need to make spells more versatile. Give all spells a specific use, even on higher skill levels. Maybe make
Spurt decrease damage from Fulmination or increase Lightning based damage for a second. So it gets an offensive and a defensive use that can chain effects together based on elemental interplay that actually make sense.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I can see why Tlash is so talked about. When you compare other offensive spells against Tlash I feel like most of them pale in comparison. Earthquake and corrupt of course have their utility. I like flamestrike in theory but feel like it's mana drain is very high for a spell that also suffers a range penalty. Like one or the other guys. It's damage is good but not THAT good. Outburst. Meh. Spurt. Utter garbage. Lightning. I guess if you really need to conserve mana, there are no allies in need of healing nearby, and you have unlimited time to sit there casting spells. In other words... meh.

Would be nice to see all offensive spells brought up to the same level as Tlash.

Piet

May 28, 2020
I can see why Tlash is so talked about. When you compare other offensive spells against Tlash I feel like most of them pale in comparison. Earthquake and corrupt of course have their utility. I like flamestrike in theory but feel like it's mana drain is very high for a spell that also suffers a range penalty. Like one or the other guys. It's damage is good but not THAT good. Outburst. Meh. Spurt. Utter garbage. Lightning. I guess if you really need to conserve mana, there are no allies in need of healing nearby, and you have unlimited time to sit there casting spells. In other words... meh.

Would be nice to see all offensive spells brought up to the same level as Tlash.
Tlash is supposed to be the main for dex mages but the curve wasn't as drastic in mo1 for tlash as it was for flame strike and fat mages have plenty of mana so flamestrike was bread and butter for fat mages.

Not

Mar 2, 2021
xD
have you played mo1 ? just curious. You seems clueless

How about talking on subject or gtfo? Ad hominems really? In 2021 and 2300 greeks in congress would have laughted at your fallacy, kid. Because of your ignorance.

Not

Mar 2, 2021
Tlash is supposed to be the main for dex mages but the curve wasn't as drastic in mo1 for tlash as it was for flame strike and fat mages have plenty of mana so flamestrike was bread and butter for fat mages.

And a freakening fighter hit you in the face at the middle of your stupid talk and takes out a bow in case you try running away, idiot. Do not talk about dex mages as if they even function... utility lol!

Not

Mar 2, 2021
I've always argued you have to add all core features that affect balance as early as possible. Adding different magic that will drastically change gameplay over time is like adding melee a year after release.

On the topic of Ecumenical as we have it, they need to make spells more versatile. Give all spells a specific use, even on higher skill levels. Maybe make
Spurt decrease damage from Fulmination or increase Lightning based damage for a second. So it gets an offensive and a defensive use that can chain effects together based on elemental interplay that actually make sense.

If mages had only the proposed spell and camouflage, corrupt, purify, heal and earthquake, they would be fun, balanced, still suport and better. That is how stupid this implementation is. It is a waste of resources without fun mechanics or vision. All the rest of the game is FLAWLESS. THAT IS WHY I AM ANGRY.

a.out

May 28, 2020
How about talking on subject or gtfo? Ad hominems really? In 2021 and 2300 greeks in congress would have laughted at your fallacy, kid. Because of your ignorance.
It's a simple question, troll.

Reactions: Piet

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Learn to make one single post to respond to multiple people. You even posted the same thing twice.

Not

Mar 2, 2021

I said if we would make the mage like you want them to be.
Than the mage would an an equal pvper. and than everybody would play mage because its the most cost effective than.

When you make the mage better than you need to spend the equal amount of money as a fighter to be pvp ready.
Because otherwise it will be 100% mage online.

but anyway maybe im wrong but I think the most people would agree on this.
Absolutely not, you still will be a naked idiot with a bow, you think that is biable? Think again..

Not

Mar 2, 2021

Magic can use camouflage and long range area spells you have to aim, if you calculate and hit voila, either way you camouflage and dissappear! How is that for magic?! Actually doing magic instead!!!.... teleport up to that hill!!! That is magic!!!! Conjure a wall out of a portal !!! Those are suport those are spells you could self or team up with a group and suport.. and be relevant instead of being naked idiot bag of shit running errant boy!!!

Camouflage teleport levitate walk on watter, glide, wall spells, short term run faster spells... long range dramatical spells you need long casting time and aim at....

if you want support those are the spells, crowd control is no fun but, teleport, camouflage, conjure walls, run over watter, portal to long distance... utility, great gameplay

MORTAL ONLINE 2 MAGIC IS STUPID.

(Love the rest of the game, though)

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Spiritualism gets a form of teleport. It's the next school slated to be in-game.

agui

May 31, 2020
Have a good mage in your team makes all the diference... i think some of areblooking down for the mage hole ... but i already saw incredible skilfull dex mages and fat mages ... making the diference in fights....

They need to have warrenes .. know how to kite ... zig zag ... u turn ... get behind the group casting heals ... going offensive with curruputs, tlashes or even EQ's ....

Its really dificult to find a great mage as is easy to find great warriors

Not

Mar 2, 2021
Have a good mage in your team makes all the diference... i think some of areblooking down for the mage hole ... but i already saw incredible skilfull dex mages and fat mages ... making the diference in fights....

They need to have warrenes .. know how to kite ... zig zag ... u turn ... get behind the group casting heals ... going offensive with curruputs, tlashes or even EQ's ....

Its really dificult to find a great mage as is easy to find great warriors

Have a good errants dex boy in your team makes all the difference, he needs to survive however he can, as it is not important enough for the real players to cover him, and the idiot better be ready to cast heal quick so the real players don't run out of bandages...

Going offensive with corr..-Arrow in the mouth mid sentence!!-

NOW SHUT UP AND GO FARM COMPONENTS FOR YOUR USELESS SHIT, which don't come even close to magic, ERRANTS BOY !!!

Sarcasm(Oh i don't know why is so difficult to find an idiot willing to play this misserable JOB, so i come to talk big about that shit i will never play in the forums...)sarcasmoff

Last edited: