Magic is stupid in mortal online 2

Not

Mar 2, 2021
How much damage does your arrow deal on steel armor? And how much damage is a mage able to deal with a single spell? You notice something?
Yes the stupid mage is death before finish casting unless the other is afk, go play tetris.

And it does 0 damage since it does not cast a single spell in combat, because the range is stupidly short.

• Haha
Reactions: Speznat and Rhias

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I'm fine with mages being a lower-range role that ignores armor. The offensive spells I've cast on players have hit like a damn truck. The supportive spells have felt VERY nice. Of course I was healing Zyloth who is actually good at melee, so I'm sure the slower damage my target was receiving helped, but it felt quite powerful.

You can't really kite and cast the same way you can run and take potshots with a bow even on Alvarin. This makes solo PVE quite hard and basically means if you grab aggro you just have to run. And yeah the really low carry capacity is mostly filled with regs it feels like.

I'm looking forward to tames to help screen for and protect me / carry some of my stuff. I'm looking forward to schools with insta-cast spells so I can kite better and weave in the big cast spells when I have nobody on me. I'm hoping there will be some balance passes on the spells. Some feel much weaker than others. And I'm REALLY looking forward to mana working properly as right now I'm capped at 100 and regen is super buggy and inconsistent.

The aiming feels like it needs a bit of refinement atm as well. Having a spell trail that lingers momentarily in the area the spell passed could possibly help with this even though the spells themselves are hitscan.

That being said. I totally disagree with the OP that magic is inherently underpowered and needs an overhaul. It just needs fine-tuning, more schools, and more supporting mechanics like tames.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Mage has stamina as exclusively a mobility resource.
That is already one of the great advantages of mages, "short" range is a thing because you don't cast to release, but pre-cast and then release within a certain time frame, which plays well into the mobility advantage mages have.

Is fireball still in? cause that spell has really good range in MO1, so I assume it also does in MO2.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Mage has stamina as exclusively a mobility resource.
That is already one of the great advantages of mages, "short" range is a thing because you don't cast to release, but pre-cast and then release within a certain time frame, which plays well into the mobility advantage mages have.

Is fireball still in? cause that spell has really good range in MO1, so I assume it also does in MO2.

Not by the same name. There is a 4000 range fire spell though. The damage could use a buff.

Piet

May 28, 2020
I am a mage. Mage is not supposed to 1v1 it's a support. Just cause you don't like it doesn't matter. Magic hits through armor. Magic can heal more and quicker than bandage without putting a weapon away. Magic can stop healing including bandages. It's a unique and very useful roll. And all that is just in the first basic magic class. They will come out with more heavy duty magics that are more advanced later. One final point you keep comparing magic to archery and saying if magic was so good you wouldn't have people using other things in tandem like taming. People just like to mix and match bro a pure mage is less rare than a pure foot archer and 100x more useful.

Reactions: Valoran and Castiel

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
All spells do less damage than Mo1. But I assume that's due to lack of mental offensive (haven checked it, but I assume the spell is 0 per default).

It's actually 100. I think every skill the buffs Ecu starts at 100 unless I missed some. I've heard int is giving less of a bonus / may be broken though. That's PURE rumor though. I have not confirmed that with data.

Piet

May 28, 2020
From what I can tell dex mage's work fine but fat mage's do almost the same damage as dex now but are also less slow than mo1

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Ecumenical is not supposed to be the "full mage" experience. It´s a bit of everything and none of it too powerful. Perfect for combinations with other skills.

Ecu magic is hitscan, making it easier to use than archery and as others have pointed out it uses mana instead of stamina as a resource.

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of making it viable in PvE. Since the whole system seems fairly basic right now I did not do any big tests. Killing a guard with magic was basically impossible though, which is not a good sign.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
To be fair, if there was a stam mage I would definitely play that instead given that stam regenerates much faster and allows for much heavier armor. Not sure mana, as opposed to stam, can really be seen as an upside to playing mages. I might partially feel that way because mana is super broken and capped at 100 with seemingly inconsistent regen though.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
From what I can tell dex mage's work fine but fat mage's do almost the same damage as dex now but are also less slow than mo1

That's interesting. If that's a feature and not a bug it's certainly going to have a pretty dramatic effect on what mages are considered good.

FreeHorses

Jul 2, 2020
That's interesting. If that's a feature and not a bug it's certainly going to have a pretty dramatic effect on what mages are considered good.
All spells do less damage than Mo1. But I assume that's due to lack of mental offensive (haven checked it, but I assume the spell is 0 per default).

CKVPdQB.png

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I've got 101 on my fast mage. Do you know your friends psyche so I can do a comparison?

a.out

May 28, 2020
They also cost less mana, no? I had no problem widdling down a Bandit yesterday using Outburst. They also heem to have upped the range. It's been a while though ....

@Not What are you even on about? ...