Mage Spell Idea

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
With the recent changes and nerfs to mages, it seems unbalanced, you get locked down now by corrupt, and any incoming damage, and if you're exhausted spells just stop casting, and you cant play your class efficiently, since this is going to be the norm it's balanced to ask for the mage to do the same, make a disarm spell for ECU so it's the support class that we need and deserve, let them drop their weapon on the floor in a bag since casting times and range are not on the table to be changed let the mage have synergy on the utility side.

what do others in the community think?

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
How? Purify is faster then corrupt ticks.

Exhausted? You mean like the literal debuff in-game from having stamina reserves, or..?

A disarm spell isn't actually a BAD idea, but that's just OP as fuck for Ecumenical. Seems more fitting for something else - and even then such an ability would have a high mana cost, and a low duration with more than likely an internal cooldown where you can't spam it on someone.

I'm gonna have to say a big fat NO to it honestly. I'd counter your spell idea and say you could make something like that of Darkfall that prevents a player from parrying / blocking for a time, but they can still attack. A complete disarm is just busted especially if it goes to the ground lol.

Piet

May 28, 2020
It's easy af to puri a corrupt and a disarm spell is a terrible idea. It would be zerg friendly af and make mages hella broken.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
How? Purify is faster then corrupt ticks.

Exhausted? You mean like the literal debuff in-game from having stamina reserves, or..?

A disarm spell isn't actually a BAD idea, but that's just OP as fuck for Ecumenical. Seems more fitting for something else - and even then such an ability would have a high mana cost, and a low duration with more than likely an internal cooldown where you can't spam it on someone.

I'm gonna have to say a big fat NO to it honestly. I'd counter your spell idea and say you could make something like that of Darkfall that prevents a player from parrying / blocking for a time, but they can still attack. A complete disarm is just busted especially if it goes to the ground lol.
This is mostly since the Mounted Magery Stacks the deck against mages, not only did they keep in the long cast times, but they added a 50% nerf to concentration,

Yes the debuff intrupts spell casting and has for a while and even after being reported it seems like nothing is being done about it

It would have to be in the Starter Spell school because most starting mages will be going full mage and they don't have a weapon because of the low strength to the class, and the negative damage bonus, i don't mind it costing some mana ofc, but it's to allow for kiting, and getting out of a sticky situation, it should have some range on it.

It cant be OP it's a utility spell you use when you have empty hands, it would also allow for the Mounted mage to compete on a mounted fight. and again it wouldn't be overpowered in my opinion if that's OP then the fact that you can interrupt a mage when they cast, that's OP and should be removed. it's just leveling the playing field and giving the mage time and space to make a play and make the class more viable, there are literal Guilds that their Mantra is "push the mages" because the poor class is defenseless for the most part unless dropping points to take on other classes, and it's not playing to it's strengths

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
It's easy af to puri a corrupt and a disarm spell is a terrible idea. It would be zerg friendly af and make mages hella broken.
I dont think it would be Broken as much as it would be Unique and give the class something it's going to need on persistence as they are bad at stating up, and will be behind the other classes in terms of trying to get to fully stated, and all of it's spells that are hidden behind bosses, and not in rocks you afk farm and bandit camps

WolfAchilles

Jan 4, 2021
A disarm has nothing to do with kiting
It would have to be in the Starter Spell school because most starting mages will be going full mage and they don't have a weapon because of the low strength to the class, and the negative damage bonus, i don't mind it costing some mana ofc, but it's to allow for kiting, and getting out of a sticky situation, it should have some range on it.

It cant be OP it's a utility spell you use when you have empty hands, it would also allow for the Mounted mage to compete on a mounted fight. and again it wouldn't be overpowered in my opinion if that's OP then the fact that you can interrupt a mage when they cast, that's OP and should be removed. it's just leveling the playing field and giving the mage time and space to make a play and make the class more viable, there are literal Guilds that their Mantra is "push the mages" because the poor class is defenseless for the most part unless dropping points to take on other classes, and it's not playing to it's strengths
Alright here we go.
A disarm has nothing to do with kiting. I don't really get how you put that one together but it doesn't work. If you want magic that affects kiting, maybe you want spells like disease from MO1 necro that sapped stam regen. That was a cool spell and I don't think it was brokenly overpowered, so that's a reasonable ask. Should it be ecu? Debatable, and if that's what you were asking for it might be reasonable.
I don't know what it would take for you to understand the difference between melee and ranged and the difference between hitscan and directional blocking. It doesn't seem to click for you.
You're asking for range on a disarm spell. You obviously don't think that thunderlash has good range with 20+ meter range from your previous posts, so what does range mean to you? Is outburst's 40 meter range sufficient?
It can't be OP because it's utility and you have empty hands when you cast magic... I mean, if the game was 1v1, that would actually be a reasonable argument because you can't kill them immediately, you have to equip and draw your weapon and so they have time to run away from you. Unfortunately, you're talking about a utility spell that would really be used with a teammate.
A disarm from range to hit a fighter in the middle of a fight, not just one that's right on top of you is just a hitscan kill. Fighters don't have as much speed as mages, so they're survivability comes from actually being good at the combat. Rule 1 of pvp is don't get hit. So fighters worth their salt parry most of the incoming melee attacks. I said earlier you just want hitscan to kill players, here we are again. You disarm a player that's peeling for an ally or staying alive 1v2, they're just dead. They're even more dead than if you outburst or TL them.
As for your complaint that mages cannot play to their own strengths, you sound like you've never played alvarin foot mage. Maybe you play mounted mage exclusively or you're playing a foot human or oghmir mage. Alvarin clades plus jump casting is actually pretty frickin busted strong. If you play a human mage, it's almost as though you have a surplus of skill and stat points and of all the clades, are best suited for hybrid. Human hybrid is in the running with veela hybrid.
To close, you're plainly lying again. "there are literal Guilds that their Mantra is "push the mages" because the poor class is defenseless for the most part unless dropping points to take on other classes, and it's not playing to it's strengths"
That's my guild you're talking about. It's not push the mages because mages are defenseless. It's because mages are force multipliers, so taking one down is more crucial to winning a fight than securing a kill on a fighter. That's always been the reasoning. If mages and under pressure, the group can absorb less damage and less pressure. Getting on a mage is really hard. If you can pull it off and your group knows what to do to support you, you can win really difficult and outnumbered fights. That's why you target the mage.

Reactions: Moored

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
This is mostly since the Mounted Magery Stacks the deck against mages, not only did they keep in the long cast times, but they added a 50% nerf to concentration,

Yes the debuff intrupts spell casting and has for a while and even after being reported it seems like nothing is being done about it

Wait they nerfed concentration even if on foot? That sounds like a bug, and if that was on purpose that is pretty lame. Had no clue. It shouldn't be like that.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Wait they nerfed concentration even if on foot? That sounds like a bug, and if that was on purpose that is pretty lame. Had no clue. It shouldn't be like that.
i dont think it was the direct intent, but i've seen mounteds dismount and for a while after i believe its still registering the nerfed concentration calculation i'm not the only one that's been feeling it and asking if it was an across the board nerf. and i've seen a few videos where the interrupts have been a lot more frequent when the mage is under any pressure and they just cant seem to get anything off.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
i dont think it was the direct intent, but i've seen mounteds dismount and for a while after i believe its still registering the nerfed concentration calculation i'm not the only one that's been feeling it and asking if it was an across the board nerf. and i've seen a few videos where the interrupts have been a lot more frequent when the mage is under any pressure and they just cant seem to get anything off.

Report it. Seriously. That sounds like an unintended bug.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
With the recent changes and nerfs to mages, it seems unbalanced, you get locked down now by corrupt, and any incoming damage, and if you're exhausted spells just stop casting, and you cant play your class efficiently, since this is going to be the norm it's balanced to ask for the mage to do the same, make a disarm spell for ECU so it's the support class that we need and deserve, let them drop their weapon on the floor in a bag since casting times and range are not on the table to be changed let the mage have synergy on the utility side.

what do others in the community think?
Yeah this is LONG OVERDUE like what kind of game has magic and no Crowd Control abilities. Honestly the mere fact that Mages have to sit still and take a beating is argument enough for me to believe they should already have had access to CC Spells from the get go. But this is just a joke. Honestly as a Foot Fighter I can 1v10 a bunch of new players. As Mage if i am on foot i can't kill 10 noobs let alone 1 noob if they get in your face you are done. It isn't a matter of skill, it's just point blank they get in your face and you are done and that is it. Most games balance immobile things with like huge increases in damage or some bad ass move that has a huge cool down or something. But mages are forced onto a mount, and if you are a dex mage you are hot garbage, Hybrid mage doesn't do jack shit unless you have 3 other hybrids to heal cuz all your healing sucks and you need like 3 to match 1 fat mage heal. The whole system is a joke. I was just thinking the other day.... Man i would love to play a Hybrid because I love to melee people, but then why would i ever re-roll my fat mage? I mean no other magic class like Dex mage or Hybrid can even compete in magic it's like if i made a tier list their magic would be F tier and their melee would be F tier. The worst of both worlds.

• Love
Reactions: AssassinOTL

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
A whole separate conversation for another day... But you know what is really mind boggling. So they buffed Thursars with more Attribute points, but everyone already had the most optimal builds in Clade Gifts and had a overflow of STR,CON,DEX maxed already. So like those points just became 7 Pych. But what does that even do though? Like 17 Pych big deal, like what a joke. So instead of resisting damage 1 time out of 100 times, maybe I resist damage 1 time out of 85 times. That is a Buff? Do the devs not understand class balancing? This buff would be like If i wanted to troll someone and give them something useful that was also useless at the same time. Like a Condom with a Hole poked in it. A Buff to 7% Melee damage bonus would have been great since Thursars are only played for damage and nothing else. Or hell... Give us 7 more max Dex points that would have been fucking phenomenal. But wtf is 7 Pych going to do? It's stuff like this that makes me question who is balancing this game? Like is it a Mcdonalds guy that runs specials at the store but then purposely forgets to throw in the free item in people's meals to troll them? So Today you get 2 Burgers for the price of one... ooh oops sorry lol I only gave that customer 1 burger, but i'll just forget it lol, at least people will think i'm running a special. That's what this buff is. A Buff without a buff.

• Haha

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
A whole separate conversation for another day... But you know what is really mind boggling. So they buffed Thursars with more Attribute points, but everyone already had the most optimal builds in Clade Gifts and had a overflow of STR,CON,DEX maxed already. So like those points just became 7 Pych. But what does that even do though? Like 17 Pych big deal, like what a joke. So instead of resisting damage 1 time out of 100 times, maybe I resist damage 1 time out of 85 times. That is a Buff? Do the devs not understand class balancing? This buff would be like If i wanted to troll someone and give them something useful that was also useless at the same time. Like a Condom with a Hole poked in it. A Buff to 7% Melee damage bonus would have been great since Thursars are only played for damage and nothing else. Or hell... Give us 7 more max Dex points that would have been fucking phenomenal. But wtf is 7 Pych going to do? It's stuff like this that makes me question who is balancing this game? Like is it a Mcdonalds guy that runs specials at the store but then purposely forgets to throw in the free item in people's meals to troll them? So Today you get 2 Burgers for the price of one... ooh oops sorry lol I only gave that customer 1 burger, but i'll just forget it lol, at least people will think i'm running a special. That's what this buff is. A Buff without a buff.
I agree but this goes in line with the Melee that have been crying that they dont have enough points in PSY to compete with Mages, this has been the back and forth conversation for months now, and the beta is over and there will be no more testing and tweaking really because the full release is here, we'll be paying customers, and this is what they've decided. magic will stay in the state that it's in, overly nerfed and highly disabled with a ton of nerfs and restrictions, and the strongest and most used classes will be continued to be buffed because the Silent majority wont speak up and the loud minority will continue to ruin this game like MO1 by asking for terrible changes. they are making the same mistakes and unfortunately it will end the same as MO1 if they continue down this path. if it's up to the 2IQ players that you've seen in this Forum they'll have SV believe their trolls and mage will really just be a mining class like they said, but it's only 2-3 GK guilds that have been partially wiped from the game after EAV lmao and that's who's feedback they're listening to, people that dont care about the game and bombed them with negative reviews, it's sad to see they will cannibalize the game again till they are the only ones playing again.

proof: https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/mage-discrimination.3751/post-44486

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I think if they make it at Ecu 100 cap like EQ it wouldnt be that bad and only full mages could use it effectively i dont see it getting out of hand.

WolfAchilles

Jan 4, 2021
I agree but this goes in line with the Melee that have been crying that they dont have enough points in PSY to compete with Mages, this has been the back and forth conversation for months now, and the beta is over and there will be no more testing and tweaking really because the full release is here, we'll be paying customers, and this is what they've decided. magic will stay in the state that it's in, overly nerfed and highly disabled with a ton of nerfs and restrictions, and the strongest and most used classes will be continued to be buffed because the Silent majority wont speak up and the loud minority will continue to ruin this game like MO1 by asking for terrible changes. they are making the same mistakes and unfortunately it will end the same as MO1 if they continue down this path. if it's up to the 2IQ players that you've seen in this Forum they'll have SV believe their trolls and mage will really just be a mining class like they said, but it's only 2-3 GK guilds that have been partially wiped from the game after EAV lmao and that's who's feedback they're listening to, people that dont care about the game and bombed them with negative reviews, it's sad to see they will cannibalize the game again till they are the only ones playing again.

proof: https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/mage-discrimination.3751/post-44486
Woah, Assassin lying again? No Way!
Melee don't cry that they don't have enough points in psy. I don't think I've read that complaint. I think psy is the weakest of the stats in its effect and scaling relative to point investment, but I played human psyfighter in MO1 with like 70 psy (way more than any fighter I play in MO2) and it was pretty strong. With human clade gifts being weaker than the others, it is true that there are fewer high psy fighters now. I don't love the int and psy curves and what they do, and I'm open for discussion on that. That said, I don't know anyone that wanted thursar to have more magic resist. I can't think of anyone wanting melee oghmir fighters to have more magic resist either.
Anyway, the back and forth conversation has not been about giving melee more psy. That's simply false. The buff to thursar stat points did not make sense and I'll be the first to say so. My thur khur has 15 psy instead of 10 now. That wasn't something we were asking for.
Mages are okay. They're not amazing. They can't really solo pve. They also have 10 more schools of magic on the way. That's an actual buff. It's not some 5 points of psy. I think it's pure fabrication that you have spoken to a silent majority of mage players that think the class needs to be buffed. Now you're also trying to paint the opinions of people who disagree with you as cheaters who got wiped from the game by EAC or people that don't care about the game. Up yours dude.
I think if they make it at Ecu 100 cap like EQ it wouldnt be that bad and only full mages could use it effectively i dont see it getting out of hand.
I'm so glad you brought up EQ as an example. See, when dismount is in the game, if a mage lands it, EQ takes away the main defensive attribute of a MC: his speed. If he gets dismounted, he can die extremely quickly, even though mounted combat usually wears the heaviest and best defensive stat armor in the game. That is balanced because mounted is nearly invincible to foot unless dismounted and MC has to make a mistake to get dismounted by EQ. You're asking for a spell that takes away the main defensive attribute of a foot fighter, but the foot fighter doesn't make a mistake to get hit by it. You're even asking for it to have some good range on it. I don't know what you mean by ranged, but you have made the argument in the post you so graciously linked that mage doesn't actually have range with high damage spells at 20-25 meters and decent damage at 40. What is range to you? You want a disarm with the same range as outburst? Let that one sink in.

Moored

Mar 24, 2021

The changes to thursar allowed thur/tind to go min size w/ max str, dex, con, and psy(72) which I think is pretty nice. That's what I'm going atleast.

Piet

May 28, 2020
Any CC is bad and heavily favors zergs. You're also not considering how it would be to fight against that? Would it be fun to try to hit a mage and not be able to do anything all of a sudden and no counter play really to it?

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Any CC is bad and heavily favors zergs. You're also not considering how it would be to fight against that? Would it be fun to try to hit a mage and not be able to do anything all of a sudden and no counter play really to it?
If we're talking about balance, it's the same thing i do every day, Concentration is a similar system to what i'm asking for. and I don't think it's unfair to ask for that when the Devs said that 30% concentration is fine for mounted mages, i literally had a fight where i was locked down to where spells were impossible to cast outside of the utility ones to try and make a play after.

So it's kinda Hypocritical (not you specifically) to Say "how can you fight against that?" it would be the same suggestions I've received for months on this Forum... you just kite, you run and make opportunistic openings to get in the damage you need, and in Melee range you just hit them and interrupt their spells,

if it's good enough for the mage, i don't see why it's not good enough for Melee. The community according to the 2-3 guys in here stands on the no damage or faster casting for mages, ok well let them have utility... or are they just not allowed to have any arsenal to properly be competitive in a fight? I've thought long and hard on this and this would be really the only answer... but here we are again with more of that "that's OP" "and that would be bad" that's literally a mechanic the mages deal with on a daily.... so it just goes to show that what people are saying just doesn't add up.... do you see what i'm trying to say?

i think the Disarm spell would fit in with the class well and add to the synergy of the kit that mages have been given

even on the Zerg concern that you have, it's terrible playing mage against a Zerg, there's not frontline and backline, because there's not enough FFs to peel when they are fighting 1vX and mounted archers go straight for mages because there's no way to punish them when most of the Frontline are fighting and the mages are being interrupted by arrows. so it's something the common mage would deal with on the daily, why should it be different for the other classes? why is it different? i think it's completely within the balance of the game to add that, Henrik said on stream there will be a lot of time before the other things like knockdown will be in game, this is a simple system that can be implemented by Persistence and a needed one at that

Last edited: