Long time no rage video...

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Today's topic:
Why solo roaming sucks and leads to awkward builds.

Honestly, I would prefer a meele fighter build for solo roaming...
But everyone is mounted, so you need a dismount weapon. And dismount weapons are slow and generally suck for 1 vs 1. And how to solve that dilemma? Right, pets, that win the 1 vs 1 for you.
So my foot fighter build turns into a Terror Bird Thursar with earquake and a dismount axe... I should be ashamed to play such a build!

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
See now this is a goated build/class design.

How are you liking the training dummy nerf so that "You have to actually go out in the world and level your pet" and you gotta "tame it at low level and train it up is more immersive".

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
Today's topic:
Why solo roaming sucks and leads to awkward builds.

Honestly, I would prefer a meele fighter build for solo roaming...
But everyone is mounted, so you need a dismount weapon. And dismount weapons are slow and generally suck for 1 vs 1. And how to solve that dilemma? Right, pets, that win the 1 vs 1 for you.
So my foot fighter build turns into a Terror Bird Thursar with earquake and a dismount axe... I should be ashamed to play such a build!
You've become too old and the sand is pouring out of your ass, it's time to retire 😁

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I won’t win any awards with the avg mo1/2 vet by saying this, but I actually think the build you put together here is super cool.

Mo2 lacks the character customization in my opinion to see more builds like this.

What I find ironic though is you complain about how terrible the pet leveling system is, which I whole heartedly agree with, but the whole reason it is as bad as it is, is because of the excessive complaints about pets in the first game, of which you certainly were included in that bunch. They actually tried to make you happy with this pet leveling change.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I won’t win any awards with the avg mo1/2 vet by saying this, but I actually think the build you put together here is super cool.

Mo2 lacks the character customization in my opinion to see more builds like this.

What I find ironic though is you complain about how terrible the pet leveling system is, which I whole heartedly agree with, but the whole reason it is as bad as it is, is because of the excessive complaints about pets in the first game, of which you certainly were included in that bunch. They actually tried to make you happy with this pet leveling change.
What pet leveling change? It is 100% identical to MO1, except that you can no longer level at a stable.

Honestly I don't like fighting with a pet. It doesn't give me the same adrenalin as fighting meele. I would prefer spending skill points into a faster weapon swapping primary.
If you stay on your heavy dismount weapon you will likely loose the 1 vs 1. If you swap to a light weapon you give the enemy free hits or he will just mount up again.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
What I don't like about pets in MO2 is that they feel like a replacement of the player, instead of an addition.

In using them I cripple myself so hard that I become useless myself.

I enjoyed playing Ranger in Guild Wars 2 and it was so much more fun.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
why do u use a giant 2h kallard axe? 1h messing club works better for dismount and 1v1. and u can use a shield to fight against MAs.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
What pet leveling change? It is 100% identical to MO1, except that you can no longer level at a stable.

Honestly I don't like fighting with a pet. It doesn't give me the same adrenalin as fighting meele. I would prefer spending skill points into a faster weapon swapping primary.
If you stay on your heavy dismount weapon you will likely loose the 1 vs 1. If you swap to a light weapon you give the enemy free hits or he will just mount up again.
You can only tame them at low level and you can’t train them on training dummies

Rhias

May 28, 2020
why do u use a giant 2h kallard axe? 1h messing club works better for dismount and 1v1. and u can use a shield to fight against MAs.
I've got no points left for armor training. So a shield does not fit in. I also got no anatomy.

Regarding the 1h messing club... Did you try dismounting people with it? Usually I ended up with a handle hit on the horse instead of a normal hit on the player...
But it was already quite a long time ago when I tested them. I think at some patch there was an animation change of 1h axes and maces. Probably that improved it.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
I've got no points left for armor training. So a shield does not fit in. I also got no anatomy.

Regarding the 1h messing club... Did you try dismounting people with it? Usually I ended up with a handle hit on the horse instead of a normal hit on the player...
But it was already quite a long time ago when I tested them. I think at some patch there was an animation change of 1h axes and maces. Probably that improved it.
1h is way better now. faster hits and cheaper to craft. My best solo build is thursar FF with eq and 1h club shield. just ride a mongrel eq on target and destroy them.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
the pet death mechanic in combination with leveling speed and how quick they die is just cruel.
Immo they should let pick the player a homestable where the dead pet gets transfered after dying and make it available again after a certain cooldown and paying a fee in form of sacrificing x amount of the same specimen based on pet points.

Tamers would still get revenue, and the horrendous timesink would become a gold sink.

Reactions: Teknique

Rhias

May 28, 2020
the pet death mechanic in combination with leveling speed and how quick they die is just cruel.
Immo they should let pick the player a homestable where the dead pet gets transfered after dying and make it available again after a certain cooldown and paying a fee in form of sacrificing x amount of the same specimen based on pet points.

Tamers would still get revenue, and the horrendous timesink would become a gold sink.
Or some kind of lootable rune stone in my inventory... If I bring it back to the stable I will be able to revive the pet out of it again...

Quite frequently there are those mounted archers who kill your pet from a distance and then ride off again...

Monco

May 28, 2020
Pets require a significant amount of time investment but they give a huge advantage in PvP, especially for the type of fights that you'd want to get into (small scale) considering you're roaming solo.
So no, they don't need to make it easier for you to use them, if they did, pets would have to be significantly weaker.
As some other players already suggested, you should switch from 2h axe which is one of the worst weapons to use when you're alone to a 1h club which will still allow you to dismount and you can actually use it to fight properly.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
Or some kind of lootable rune stone in my inventory... If I bring it back to the stable I will be able to revive the pet out of it again...

Quite frequently there are those mounted archers who kill your pet from a distance and then ride off again...
Well you need a mechanic that prevents The invalidation of taming as an economic profession. Thats the reason of my idea of the sacrifices mechanic.

@Monco the pet advantage is very situational. My proposed resurrection mechanic would not impact direct combat balance at all, because it would be naturally balanced by stable capacity and market availability and a cooldown. It would just be a huge QOL improvement for taming as a profession and would add some kind of determinism to this kind of playstyle.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Pets require a significant amount of time investment but they give a huge advantage in PvP, especially for the type of fights that you'd want to get into (small scale) considering you're roaming solo.
So no, they don't need to make it easier for you to use them, if they did, pets would have to be significantly weaker.
As some other players already suggested, you should switch from 2h axe which is one of the worst weapons to use when you're alone to a 1h club which will still allow you to dismount and you can actually use it to fight properly.
IMHO they should step away from making pets a "second character" to something that supports the character.

Pets that kill a player without any real player involvement expect pressing the attack button are ridiculous.

They should become less time consuming, and less strong. The whole system should be reworked.
PS: 95% off all beast mastery abilities are useless.